• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JimL

Beneteau's built in USA?

Got asked this last night.

Seems a Bene 45' is up for grabs here in Oz and has come from Miami to our golden shores.

Don't know what type but I guess it may be an older First 45?

The person who asked me says it was supposedly built under license in the states?

I doubted this as I thought all were built in France and maybe rigged locally; but I said I would consult the font(s) of all knowledge, and ask the question.

So anyone....anyone.....Bueler......Bueler.....?

Cheers,

Jim B)

Got asked this last night.

Seems a Bene 45' is up for grabs here in Oz and has come from Miami to our golden shores.

Don't know what type but I guess it may be an older First 45?

The person who asked me says it was supposedly built under license in the states?

I doubted this as I thought all were built in France and maybe rigged locally; but I said I would consult the font(s) of all knowledge, and ask the question.

So anyone....anyone.....Bueler......Bueler.....?

Cheers,

Jim B)

Hey Jim,

I believe the Beneteau USA factory is located in North Carolina and is building boats domestically...but not sure what models...so I defer to the brain trust for further info...

sorry Schnick...beat me to the punch...

I have worked for Sunsail and the Moorings over the years and when the American boats started getting delivered to us you could spot them instantly.A very much inferior quality.Things may have changed just my2c.

I believe the Benetau First 44.7 was built in Marion, North Carolina... as were the 36.7... if it's older than 2004, it's likely a First 45f5 and those were built in France.

If it was built in france it should have the country identifier before the HIN.

Took a few years for the USCG to accept that putting US in front of the HIN did not in anyway impact the HIN, but all the european built boats have had to have the country identifier for quite some time

The 473 was the 1st Boat built in USA I think.

I'm thinking the First 235. Or the First 405. IIRC, the original Beneteau USA factory could make just two models of boats on two lines at any given time. Switching a model was a huge deal. New factory allows different models to come down the same line.

As an SC native I can tell you that the US Beneteau Factory is in Marion SOUTH CAROLINA.

Not sure what models they've built over the years vs. what gets imported.

Have they paid the import duty & GST yet? If it was built in the US, it only attracts 10% GST. If French built then 15% (duty + GST). Also, if it has not been imported yet then it is critical to find a friendly surveyor who can give it a (cough, cough) friendly valuation. Friends imported their boat, it was valued at 112K, they paid the duty and sold it about 2 months later for about 252K...

1331203991[/url]' post='3617085']

As an SC native I can tell you that the US Beneteau Factory is in Marion SOUTH CAROLINA.

+1. One plant in Marion SC five in Vendée region of France. The 36.7 for the US market is produced in SC. Model & production list.

FWIW: What they call Beneteau XXX in the US, usually is what is called Oceanis XXX in Europe, While the "First" series retain their name, the Oceanis series loose it for some trademark reason.

1331203991[/url]' post='3617085']

+1. One plant in Marion SC five in Vendée region of France. The 36.7 for the US market is produced in SC. Model & production list.

That link shows that the First 45 was first built in 2002 vs the First 44.7 appearing in 2004? I thought the First 45 was more recent given the more modern design?

(PS our 44.7 was built in France and is an ex factory race supported boat with carbon stick)

Yep...the First 45 was first built in 2008 and have only been built in France. Been to the factory and seen the First 45 and First 50 in production.....the First 50 was first built prior to the First 45.

Very many thanks all for the info. I will pass all this on to the questioner, and he can read up on this thread.

I am always impressed with the knowledge and help on here, especially the gunracks for a Bene.........

Cheers,

Jim B)

I believe the Benetau First 44.7 was built in Marion, (wherever) Carolina... as were the 36.7... if it's older than 2004, it's likely a First 45f5 and those were built in France.

Interesting - My First 38S5 was built actually in two places;

France and Marion North/South Carolina

I do not know the details of what was done where, but I think parts disassembled

were shipped from France. Not sure where the hull was laid up.

This was around 1992, it seems they were in transition around then.

Did the ones built in the States have a gun rack?

Yes, but when they ship them to NZ they replace it with a sheep pen.

Did the ones built in the States have a gun rack?

Yes, but when they ship them to NZ they replace it with a sheep pen.

Do they?

Worked for BUSA for almost 5 years in Marion.

The only recent First Series boats built there were the 36.7 and 10R.

First 40.7, 44.7, 45, 50, etc all built in France only.

Marion, SC. However, when you drive by there these days the yard is loaded w/Trawlers.

I dissagree.......I was just at the factory a couple of weeks ago........close to 35 Beneteau/Jenneau sailboats in different stages of construction.....all presold......all over 40 feet, Oceanis cruising boats.

The marketing group that gave me the tour......suggested the sales forcast from the Miami Boat Show for Beneteau/Jenneau/Lagoon....is approx $13 million. if you beleive that.....

yard had quite a few shrinkwrapped sailboats lined up ready for shipment......