Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sr chief

Smile and Wave

My boys scored a 1,2 today and won the fleet in the second race. Best part, that "slow ass boat", beat the two Farr 400s by 5 minutes in the second race! Great job Jaime and crew!

How is that possible when SnW and the Farr 400's race in different divisions?

Ok, I getya.

I wouldn't have wanted to be in the Melges 24 on the same line as the Farr 400, shitty if you don't start above them..

Good for them. Had to go looking for images to see what you were talking about, though.

Don't know if she's raced, but there might be a SCOTW candidate practicing with them on Leighton O'Connor's photo website.

http://www.leightonp...7685133&k=KPGDH

Good for them. Had to go looking for images to see what you were talking about, though.

Don't know if she's raced, but there might be a SCOTW candidate practicing with them on Leighton O'Connor's photo website.

http://www.leightonp...7685133&k=KPGDH

P.B., I have raced with her, fucking awesome windsurfer, could run pit on any program, and yes smok'in hot!

Also posted this in the F400 vs. McC38 thread.

Smile and Wave is in CSA2, the F400 is CSA1. We're sailing the same course just a few minutes later, we did a CSA corrected time grid and the Budget M24 is first overall across the CSA spin fleets, we're second, and the other Melges is third after three races.

Great racing here in St. Thomas, with a great crew and Jaime Torres is a hell of a driver and very good owner. We had a solid first race but got beat on corrected by something like 15 seconds, another Puerto Rican boat, the J/105 Dark Star sailed a great race and got us (we owed them 8 minutes and change). Second race we slayed it despite starting at the wrong end of the line, that was the last mistake we made of the race. Tactician Anson Mulder is on his game, and is one of the best at this size of cruiser/racer. Anson just won St. Martin last month on the J/120 El Ocaso (beating our ass in the process on Smile and Wave).

On our way in, we saw the tragedy that is Highland Fling. Sir Lord Irving Laidlaw's gorgeous royal blue TP52 dropped her rig. More to come shortly, including the bizarre way they lost it.

We are in first after a 2,1.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=517

Screen shot 2012-03-23 at 7.22.59 PM.png

DSCN1431.jpg

DSCN1483.jpg

DSCN1492.jpg

DSCN1499.jpg

Smile and Wave is in CSA2, the F400 is CSA1. We're sailing the same course just a few minutes later, we did a CSA corrected time grid and the Budget M24 is first overall across the CSA spin fleets, we're second, and the other Melges is third after three races.

Great racing here in St. Thomas, with a great crew and Jaime Torres is a hell of a driver and very good owner. We had a solid first race but got beat on corrected by something like 15 seconds, another Puerto Rican boat, the J/105 Dark Star sailed a great race and got us (we owed them 8 minutes and change). Second race we slayed it despite starting at the wrong end of the line, that was the last mistake we made of the race. Tactician Anson Mulder is on his game, and is one of the best at this size of cruiser/racer. Anson just won St. Martin last month on the J/120 El Ocaso (beating our ass in the process on Smile and Wave).

On our way in, we saw the tragedy that is Highland Fling. Sir Lord Irving Laidlaw's gorgeous royal blue TP52 dropped her rig. More to come shortly, including the bizarre way they lost it.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=517

Awesome!

Ouch ! Pretty darn hard to shake the rig out of a TP52.

Captain Dan!!! how are ya?! Some of my fondest sailing was on your fine vessel, Shark! Jaime Torres and his band of sailing enthusiasts are about as good as it gets. Jaime (like you) is a world class windsurfer and kite surfer.

Not a shake. Very, very weird, and I'm writing it up now for the front page, but the quick story is that a Code Zero to jib tack change went horribly wrong, and the zero broke a spreader, and the rig went tumbling after.

Meg Hislop photos BTW.

This one went out over the PR wires last night.

PUERTO RICO'S SMILE AND WAVE BLASTS OUT OF THE GATE TO LEAD IN INTERNATIONAL ROLEX REGATTA

Photo JAIMETENNIS: Jaime Torres and Bob Hillier sort out Smile and Wave's new mainsail on the St. Thomas Yacht Club's tennis courts. Credit Meg Hislop/Smile And Wave Sailing

Photo HERNANDEZ: Trimmer and windsurfing champion Carlos Hernandez works the sheets as Dark Star chases Smile and Wave off the reefs of St. Thomas. Credit Meg Hislop/Smile And Wave Sailing

Photo HIKING: The crew of Smile and Wave settles in for a long upwind leg as they lead the St. Thomas fleet off the South side of St. Thomas. Credit Meg Hislop/Smile And Wave

St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Rain squalls, rough seas and unstable breeze didn't deter Puerto Rican yacht racer Jaime Torres and the crew of his Beneteau First 40, Smile and Wave, from posting a 2,1 scoreline to lead CSA 2 after one day of racing at the 39th International Rolex Regatta (IRR). This stellar out-of-the-gate performance puts Torres one step closer to fulfilling his dream to win a precision Rolex timepiece, something he helped his father achieve thirty-six years ago in this very regatta.

"Relatively light wind and lots of chop made it tough for us to find our groove, but we turned up the intensity and had a great day of racing," said Torres.

Sixty-eight teams from around the world took to the waters off St. Thomas' south side for a duo of races into Charlotte Amalie harbor and back under 14- to 17-knot breeze and 4- to 6-foot seas. Smile and Wave sails in the packed CSA 2 Class of international racer/cruisers.

Puerto Rico is making a strong showing in the 13-boat CSA 2 Class, with all three podium spots owned by Puerto Rican entries. Race One saw Jonathan Lipuscek's Fajardo-based J/105 Dark Star cross the finish line 8 minutes behind Torres – just enough to squeak ahead of Smile and Wave by a handicap-corrected 15 seconds.

"Honestly, I'm just happy we held Dark Star off at all!" said Smile and Wave tactician Anson Mulder. "The first quarter of the race they were just flying, and we knew we would have to sail perfectly to have a chance in the results. We were about sixteen seconds from perfect!"

A sixth place in the second race dropped Dark Star to third in class, allowing Sergio Sagramoso's Ponce, Puerto Rico-based J/122 Lazy Dog to overhaul them. Lazy Dog would finish the day in second place behind Smile and Wave.

Tomorrow will see the class line up for a day of buoy racing along the south side of St. John, followed by two races in Pillsbury Sound on Sunday. Torres is cautious, but optimistic about his team's chances. "We don't need to be super aggressive or take a lot of chances out there," he said. "We know we've got a fast boat, solid tactics, and the kind of crew work that lets us put the boat where we need to. Hopefully, that will be enough for a win at this great regatta."

Smile and Wave's crew is a mix of Puerto Rican and mainland U.S. sailors. From Puerto Rico, Torres on helm; Carlos Hernandez, spinnaker/jib trim; Mariano 'Nano' Ruiz, offside trim; George Polish, pit; Gretchen Ortiz, mid-bow; and Raul de la Torres and Jose 'Yoyo' Berrios as floaters. From the U.S., there's Anson Mulder, tactics/navigation; Bob Hillier, main trim, and Alan Block, mast. St. Thomas resident and professional skipper Meg Hislop handles the work on the bow.

Smile and Wave has enjoyed a strong 2012 season, earning a 3rd in IRC3, 4th overall, and 'Top Caribbean Boat' in the RORC's grueling Caribbean 600. In St. Maarten, Torres and crew ran away with the top performance in the Gill Commodore's Cup, following it up with a 6th in class in the point-to-point-racing Heineken regatta. Following the IRR, the team heads to the British Virgin Islands for the BVI Spring Regatta (30 March to 1 April), then on to Antigua Sailing Week from April 29th to May 4th.

Smile and Wave is sponsored by Banco Popular de Puerto Rico, Discovery Bay Resort and Marina and Sebago.

Follow Smile and Wave on the scoreboard at the regatta website: www.rolexcupregatta.com and in their race to the podium on their website www.smileandwave.ws, which features daily video, pictures and stories. Give them a 'Like' on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/SmileandWaveSailingTeam

Smile and Wave's 2012 Caribbean Regatta Schedule

Caribbean 600 - February 20 to February 24 – Antigua – 3rd IRC 1

Gill Commodore's Cup – March 1 – St. Maarten – 1st Gill 2

St. Maarten Heineken Regatta - March 2 to March 4 - St. Maarten – 6th CSA 4

International Rolex Regatta - March 23 to March 25 - St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

BVI Spring Regatta - March 30 to April 1 – Tortola, British Virgin Islands

Antigua Sailing Week - April 29 to May 4 – Antigua

For Media Information and Hi-Res Images, please contact:

Carol Bareuther

Tel: 340-774-2736

Cell: 340-998-3650

Email: bareuther@earthlink.net

HERNANDEZ.jpg

HIKING.jpg

JAIMETENNIS.jpg

Great sailing today Jaime and crew, way to hang in there! Awesome pic of Carlos, looks like he putting on a little weight!

Holy crap that was a tough day. Now the top three boats are all separated by a point. 10 for Dark Star, 9.5 for us, and 9 for Lazy Dog. Puerto Rico representin' yo.

Race 2 was a match race with us and Lazy for the entire 2 hours. Just amazingly tight shit, and fought til the last gybe. We beat them by 26 seconds, correcting over them by 0:03. The final reach/run down included a 10 minute segment where we went from jib, to jib top, to S-2, to zero, back to S-2. Holy crap was that tiring for this wayward mast man.

Oh, and we had a fucking handicap tie in race 1, which is why we have half a point. I have to say that CSA seems to do a damned good job making tight results.

Holy crap that was a tough day. Now the top three boats are all separated by a point. 10 for Dark Star, 9.5 for us, and 9 for Lazy Dog. Puerto Rico representin' yo.

Race 2 was a match race with us and Lazy for the entire 2 hours. Just amazingly tight shit, and fought til the last gybe. We beat them by 26 seconds, correcting over them by 0:03. The final reach/run down included a 10 minute segment where we went from jib, to jib top, to S-2, to zero, back to S-2. Holy crap was that tiring for this wayward mast man.

Oh, and we had a fucking handicap tie in race 1, which is why we have half a point. I have to say that CSA seems to do a damned good job making tight results.

ONE more day, good thing you guys have a curfew tonite...

curfew my ass! I'm just old, and sore as hell, and my bed looks very good right now! But I just got a text from the Anarchy beach cat crews: "We got booze and hot chicks - get your ass down here!"

Uh oh

curfew my ass! I'm just old, and sore as hell, and my bed looks very good right now! But I just got a text from the Anarchy beach cat crews: "We got booze and hot chicks - get your ass down here!"

Uh oh

Good boy!!! just watch out for the man eating iguannas on the trek back to the condo...they seem to come out en-masse after midnight, as I recall...

This boat gets great press for a boat losing to a J105.

wait til Espo hears about this :o

Ha! Fucking disappointment to lose the Rolex by 0.5 of a point, and 0:01 seconds on the course. For all our bitching at how we couldn't save our time on some of the tuesday night courses they set, we lost this regatta with one slow set. More to come.

I just a received a text from Jaime, after 3 days of racing and it comes down to .05 point. Jaime Torres epitomizes a true competitor and his passion for the love racing in caribbean is second to none. Tom Hill (Titan), has been our ambassador of caribbean sailing representing Puerto Rico for the last 20 years, and Jaime has stepped up to fill very big shoes. His enthusiasm and results have proven that he is up to the task. I had the great fortune of sailing with him as a kid and then again last year, where we finished 2nd. The bene first 40 needs breeze, and as we all know in racing, the best gear, sails, and boat stills requires a little luck and chance. While the boat is still new, we are finally getting it dialed in, and look forward to some wins here in the caribbean this spring. Great job guys, Clean is a big part of the program and look forward to the write up. Me encanta Puerto Rico, y mi hermanos!!!Smile and Wave baby!!!!!

Every second counts! The J/105 also needs breeze to go and that only happened on the friday races. All of the top boats were raced hard and good. It was very competitive CSA racing class 2 dominated by the PUR boats!!!

http://www.yachtscor...ive.cfm?eID=517

No Sir required, just Lord Laidlaw.

Where is the vid from Carib 600?

I just a received a text from Jaime, after 3 days of racing and it comes down to .05 point. Jaime Torres epitomizes a true competitor and his passion for the love racing in caribbean is second to none. Tom Hill (Titan), has been our ambassador of caribbean sailing representing Puerto Rico for the last 20 years, and Jaime has stepped up to fill very big shoes. His enthusiasm and results have proven that he is up to the task. I had the great fortune of sailing with him as a kid and then again last year, where we finished 2nd. The bene first 40 needs breeze, and as we all know in racing, the best gear, sails, and boat stills requires a little luck and chance. While the boat is still new, we are finally getting it dialed in, and look forward to some wins here in the caribbean this spring. Great job guys, Clean is a big part of the program and look forward to the write up. Me encanta Puerto Rico, y mi hermanos!!!Smile and Wave baby!!!!!

Hey Sr Chief,

Get your facts straight. Smile and Wave is a great boat with a great crew, but us on Lazy Dog have been competing in the Caribbean for the last 8 years, with a completely puerto rican crew. In those 8 years, we have won Heineken St Martin three times, two of those times overall, we have won Antigua Sailing Week, St Croix International Regatta, Heineken Puerto Rico Regatta, and the Discover the Caribbean Regatta in Ponce Puerto Rico, twice. We have been on the podium countless times, and in fact, we do also have one of those Rolex timepieces, having won the Rolex St Thomas regatta also.

Happy Sailing!

Hey Sr Chief,

Get your facts straight. Smile and Wave is a great boat with a great crew, but us on Lazy Dog have been competing in the Caribbean for the last 8 years, with a completely puerto rican crew. In those 8 years, we have won Heineken St Martin three times, two of those times overall, we have won Antigua Sailing Week, St Croix International Regatta, Heineken Puerto Rico Regatta, and the Discover the Caribbean Regatta in Ponce Puerto Rico, twice. We have been on the podium countless times, and in fact, we do also have one of those Rolex timepieces, having won the Rolex St Thomas regatta also.

Happy Sailing!

yea, but you guys should have been using a media person, cause this is the first time I have heard of you. No ofense, clearly I am partial to Jaime... That being said you should be justifiably proud of your achievements and I for one wan't to thank you guys for your sailing contributions and keeping Puerto Rico sailing on the chart! So Co-Ambassadores it is, and thanks for clearing that up.

Hey Sr Chief,

Happy Sailing!

yea, but you guys should have been using a media person, cause this is the first time I have heard of you. No ofense, clearly I am partial to Jaime... That being said you should be justifiably proud of your achievements and I for one wan't to thank you guys for your sailing contributions and keeping Puerto Rico sailing on the chart! So Co-Ambassadores it is, and thanks for clearing that up.

Love to see my fellow boricuas represented in SA. I got friends on both crews and a testament to our windsurfing roots. Saludos de San Franciso, Danny

Nice! Helped bowgirl Meg fix her 18' RIB today at Compass Pointe, we will have a sweet tender in the BVI this weekend. Carlos and the boys arrive thursday and we deliver then.

Hey Sr Chief,

Happy Sailing!

I really, really enjoyed racing against you guys. Seriously. I've never had so much fun racing non-planing boats before!

But next year I am going to do my damnedest to come back with a Melges 24 for SXM and STT. Hell yes!

Whaat

Hey Sr Chief,

Happy Sailing!

what abt the Hendo 30 I think its called 'donde esta las putas'.

FYI, we had 6,239 unique visits from Puerto Rico last year.

And Smile and Wave has a 3,1,6,2 now in four events, and I'm proud of it!

Screen shot 2012-03-27 at 8.58.40 PM.png

The Hendo 30 has been working hard to be competitive, but we've had issues with the rating (i really hate blaming our lack of consistent podiums on that). The boat is obsolete in many levels and we do look forward to a different new boat sometime in the near future. we'll continue to build our program with that under consideration. I consider our steady crew to be competitive and we have brought in a few world class champion sport boat sailors to many regattas in the past. Keeping the Melges 24s & 32s at bay has always been next to impossible for us; and versus SnW, Lazy Dog, and the J105s, the boat has difficulties keeping up with the fleet upwind (especially in a chop and mid-to heavy air).Regardless, we continue to practice regularly and constantly make improvements on the boat.

We'll continue competing and doing our absolute best at every regatta we attend. And you can count on us at BVI. Hopefully the 1st place we got on Sunday during the 2nd race @ STT gives us some momentum in BVI Spring Regatta.

SnW is a great program and I had a blast sailing with Jaime & his team in the Caribbean 600. Congrats to the whole SnW crew, Dark Star, Lazy Dog, and Fraito's Orion (IC 24) on a superb performance in STT Rolex.

The Hendo 30 has been working hard to be competitive, but we've had issues with the rating (i really hate blaming our lack of consistent podiums on that). The boat is obsolete in many levels and we do look forward to a different new boat sometime in the near future. we'll continue to build our program with that under consideration. I consider our steady crew to be competitive and we have brought in a few world class champion sport boat sailors to many regattas in the past. Keeping the Melges 24s & 32s at bay has always been next to impossible for us; and versus SnW, Lazy Dog, and the J105s, the boat has difficulties keeping up with the fleet upwind (especially in a chop and mid-to heavy air).Regardless, we continue to practice regularly and constantly make improvements on the boat.

We'll continue competing and doing our absolute best at every regatta we attend. And you can count on us at BVI. Hopefully the 1st place we got on Sunday during the 2nd race @ STT gives us some momentum in BVI Spring Regatta.

SnW is a great program and I had a blast sailing with Jaime & his team in the Caribbean 600. Congrats to the whole SnW crew, Dark Star, Lazy Dog, and Fraito's Orion (IC 24) on a superb performance in STT Rolex.

Stick a Melges 32 rig in that bugger, and you WIN!!!!

Maricon!

Win the race to having the cleanest spreaders, maybe!

Maricon!

Having raced on a Hendo, the rig is way undersized... Good luck to you guys on Soca, great program and have fun this weekend!

Looks like Smile And Wave just entered the Around BI race and NYYC Annual Regatta this coming May/June. Sweet! I look forward to meeting what seems like an awesome crew.

Jaime is definitely looking to do some fun stuff in the NE this year. Will advise. Final press release went out today from the St.Thomas-based PR chika. Who is BTW the mom of the hot 18 year old SCOTW on the front page...Dean Barnes photos...

Nanny Cay, British Virgin Islands (April 2, 2012) – The Smile and Wave sailing team dominated the third and last day of racing at the 41st BVI Spring Regatta & Sailing Festival, easily winning the day in CSA Class 3. The Beneteau First 40, driven by Puerto Rican businessman Jaime Torres and crewed by his almost entirely Puerto Rican team, scored a pair of bullets and a second place on the final day of racing for a solid second place at the BVI Spring Regatta.

"Competitors in all sports know what it feels like to be 'in the zone,' and that's how we closed out our Caribbean season today," Torres said. "It's one of the best feelings a team can get, and we really did come together and give it our all. I'm immensely proud of everyone's performance."

Torres' torrid last-day performance wasn't enough to earn a win in the highly competitive class, but it did provide a high note on which to end the team's Caribbean winter sailing season. "Once again we came up just a little bit short, but with 4 podium finishes in five regattas, we have a lot to feel good about," he said.

Conditions on the water were lighter and shiftier than usual in the beautiful Sir Frances Drake Channel as over 100 boats racedfor the regatta's last day. The race committee ran three short windward-leeward races for Class 3, a set-up in which Smile and Wave reveled. "We finally had the kind of grand prix courses that our crew enjoys the most," said mainsheet trimmer Alan Block. "With tons of action, highly tactical legs, and just as much thinking as there was doing, we couldn't have asked for a better day."

The final race also showed that the assymetric spinnaker boats like the winning J/120 El Ocaso were plenty competitive in conventional race courses, and not just the less tactical reaching-specific races. "All week the racing was tight between Rick and us, and they caught us in the final race by reaching up to a nice wind line and riding it down to the finish," explained Torres.

El Ocaso won Class 3 with 13 points, Smile and Wave finished second with 18 points, and Smile and Wave sistership Lancelot II ended third with 32 points.

The BVI Spring Regatta & Sailing Festival is known for giving sailors a lot of racing in a short time. This year's combination of windward-leeward and round-the-island race courses also included funky but fun variations like reaching and running starts. Class 3 completed a total of nine races in three days.

In the end, Torres said that El Ocaso unquestionably earned their victory. "There was no boat better sailed than El Ocaso here and it showed in the results. We don't feel like we lost the regatta – instead, they beat us. We're privileged to have such fierce competitors in the Caribbean."

Torres didn't know he was in for a special honor when he and team climbed the stairs to receive their second-place trophy on Nanny Cay Marina's pearly-white beach on Sunday night, and the crowd of hundreds erupted in applause when he was named the second-ever recipient of the Guy Eldridge Award for True Spirit and Enthusiasm. The trophy, named for the legendary BVI sailor, coach, and ambassador for Caribbean sailing, honors one sailor each year who brings the kind of passion to the sport that made Eldridge such a pillar of the sailing community. "I'm stunned at receiving this honor," Torres said, visibly humbled after the reception. "Guy was the kind of person that touched literally everyone he came near with his exuberance and love of sailing, and if I can share my passion for sailing with a fraction of the people that he did, I'll consider it a huge personal success."

Torres was honored in part for his dedication to assimilating non-sailors into racing. "We've had crew this season with America's Cup and major grand prix one-design experience and we've had crew with less than six months of sailing under their belt, and the one thing they all have in common is that they are now part of the Smile and Wave family," said Torres. Three crew at the BVI Spring Regatta have raced for less than one year. "I feel extremely lucky that Jaime gave me a chance to race this week – I could never have learned so much from such good racers if not for Smile and Wave," said mast man and new sailor Carlos Fuentes.

Smile and Wave's crew is a mix of Puerto Rican and mainland U.S. sailors. From Puerto Rico, Torres on helm; Carlos Hernandez, spinnaker/jib trim; Mariano 'Nano' Ruiz, offside trim; George Polish, pit; Gretchen Ortiz, mid-bow; Raul de la Torres on the mast; and Jose 'Yoyo' Berrios navigating. From the U.S. comes Alan Block on mainsail trim, while St. Thomas resident and professional skipper Meg Hislop handles the work on the bow. Joining the crew for this event were crew trainees Carlos Fuentes as grinder and mast assist and Rafael Olivieri working the sewer.

Smile and Wave has enjoyed a strong 2012 season, earning a 3rd in IRC3, 4th overall, and 'Top Caribbean Boat' in the RORC's grueling Caribbean 600. In St. Maarten, Torres and crew ran away with the top performance in the Gill Commodore's Cup, following it up with a 6th in class in the point-to-point-racing Heineken regatta. At the IRR, Smile and Wave finished 2nd in CSA 2 just 0.5 points and one second on the race course from a Rolex and top honors.

What's next for Smile and Wave? Puerto Rico's offshore racing team will compete in regattas both at home and abroad for the remainder of 2012. Also in the cards is the potential for a new boat for 2013 – possibly a design with the kind of high performance the Smile and Wave team is now ready for after two years of competing in the cruiser/racer Beneteau First. No matter what, the team will always Smile and Wave their way back to the podium in the world's great regattas.

dlb-Palm11-018216s.jpg

dlb-Palm11-018208s.jpg

dlb-Palm11-017846s.jpg

Jaime is definitely looking to do some fun stuff in the NE this year. Will advise.

Beers to be bought for anyone from S&W who make it to the NE.

Jaime is definitely looking to do some fun stuff in the NE this year. Will advise.

Who's buyng!? :P

Who's buyng!? :P

Not by me!