oioi

Seascape 27

Hi guys

I can help with rigg tune. Attached find the basic settings for most normal wind strengths and a very light wind / no waves setting. Disregard the two columns on the far right ( they concern only my boat SUI 15). The second page is about forestay length (sorry in german only). Basically the forestay should be the length form the top of the Jib halyard + 111 cm (that is 43.7 inches for the metrically challenged), measured all the way down to the deck in front of the mast and at the bow, respectively.

I've been using these now for tow seasons (both on our lake on and the adriatic) and they seem to work well (got them form Tit Plevnik, who probably has the most experience with the boat in many different conditions so far).

Hope this helps.

P.S. Don't think I needed to make any changes to the setup (not fotos, sorry)

Those numbers seems really high Does the rig really need to be that tightly dialed up?

Hi guys

I can help with rigg tune. Attached find the basic settings for most normal wind strengths and a very light wind / no waves setting. Disregard the two columns on the far right ( they concern only my boat SUI 15). The second page is about forestay length (sorry in german only). Basically the forestay should be the length form the top of the Jib halyard + 111 cm (that is 43.7 inches for the metrically challenged), measured all the way down to the deck in front of the mast and at the bow, respectively.

I've been using these now for tow seasons (both on our lake on and the adriatic) and they seem to work well (got them form Tit Plevnik, who probably has the most experience with the boat in many different conditions so far).

Hope this helps.

P.S. Don't think I needed to make any changes to the setup (not fotos, sorry)

Those numbers seems really high Does the rig really need to be that tightly dialed up?

Light winds - no

I'm using the light wind settings here on the lake if I expect no more than about 10 kts of TWS. This coming season I'll try to go even a little lower. The standard tension has proven very good in the adriatic between 10 and 25 kts in low to moderate waves.

Thank you so much for this!

I see that SUI15 is signed up for Silverrudder, so I guess I'll see you there.

Yes, Silverrudder is THE project for this season. Looking forward to it. See you in Svendborg!

Good first sail yesterday to the harbor. The boat performed well right out of the box with the rig settings provided above. I will now just need to sail more and learn what the boat can actually do.

f7c3ff0830.jpg

Now that looks uncomfortable.

Is there a 27 foot race boat on which racing in those conditions is comfortable? I'd think a J/80, J-27, Anterim 27, GP 26, etc would look much the same...

f7c3ff0830.jpg

Now that looks uncomfortable.

Is there a 27 foot race boat on which racing in those conditions is comfortable? I'd think a J/80, J-27, Anterim 27, GP 26, etc would look much the same...

Have you seen the side decks on a Seascape 27? It would be like hiking on a Catalina 27.

Nice picture, but I digress......

My friends over at Seascape are all following the fantastic duel in this years Vendee Globe (hopefully work still gets done$$$) and sent me this great link to better visualize the boats and weather they are sailing in - https://gis.ee/vg/

As for the East coast I suspect all Seascapes are on the dry, but a Seascape 24 will be in Florida Jan20-Feb20 (approx) and is expected to be at the Miami boat show. Please contact the US/Canadian dealers at www.thinkseascape.com/dealers or www.seascapeusa.com for more information. If you like to drive/sail home with it from Miami you should ask for the show special.

For those of you that have been asking about Seascapes on the West coast we now have both 18 and 27's there and a 27 will arrive Vancouver in spring.

mainly the smaller Seascapes but at the end gives the results of the three sizes

Have you guys been to Fuerteventura? It was one of those island that had always been on my traveling plan but had somehow never visited. But after reading this other article from https://www.canaryislandsinfo.co.uk/fuerteventura/places/ makes me more willing to do some last minute changes on my travel list. They say that the waves in Costa calma and Playa de Sotavento would make a perfect for surfers and many water activities.  And if your not into some water action I'm very sure that theirs a lot more to do in this fine island. 

Went sailing with Svein for the initial ride on his new toy last weekend. Thanks, Svein! A very helpful gentleman!

We had 6-10kts and flat water for the first cruise with just the main and jib. The boat is quite responsive in the light stuff, and in 10 knots on a beam reach we were in the upper 7kt range without really trying or flying anything other than the basic sails. She is light and eager and I am more than a little excited to see how she performs with the breeze up hard! 

I've bee interested in the Seascape for a while. I have a Jeanneau Sun Fast 3200 that I use for shorthanded offshore racing as well as a little family cruising. The Seascape trades some interior size for some serious advantages in portability and is obviously much lighter and more eager to step up on a plane. I spent the sail thinking about the boat in two contexts--how she would be on a downwind ride to Hawaii, say in the singlehanded transpac, and how she would have done in last year's Bermuda 1-2 which I competed in with my SF3200. Some observations....

1) The boat is light, but stiff. Typically the punishment for extremely light hulls is tippy upwind performance. I'd love to give her a run in real breeze, but though the boat powered up quickly like a light boat should, the hull's form stability really kicked in and it felt like it had the stability to bash upwind in breeze if required. You step on board from the dock and the boat barely heels--highly unusual for a small, light boat. 

2) The details of the boat are well thought out for offshore sailing. It has the 'small boat' advantages for shorthanders of having light/small sails and gear, but had several thoughtful details that make the boat feel serious about this offshore business. Take the 3-d jib lead adjusters, for example, or the fact that the staysail halyard is on a 2:1 purchase to help get luff tension. That kind of stuff was all over the boat. Awesome. 

3) The interior is well thought out and about all you could ask for in a boat of this size. I could easily imagine loading the stuff I'd need for a Hawaii race and being comfortable down there offshore. I could also imagine taking the wife out for a weekend--not something she was prepared to do on my old Moore 24. 

4) The two biggest features for the 'cruising' sales pitch for this boat--the swing keel and the clever outboard use/storage--were two of my biggest question marks for the offshore side of things. The cleverness and utility of both has already been remarked upon aplenty. The family sailor in me loves both. The offshore sailor in me would want to spend some time getting to know those systems a bit better. Perhaps I'm jaded by the scary moment during last year's 1-2 when Justin stepped off Spadefoot due to keel issues--you have to be really confident in a keel that can move before you go out there and get bashed around solo. Similarly, I'd be quite interested in ensuring my auxiliary power system worked when required and that the floorboards of my cockpit stayed firmly aboard in the event of a rollover! I'd need to get to know those systems pretty well to feel confident. It's a trade-off.  

5) The only place where the Seascape felt like a 'small' boat was in terms of the freeboard. The last three days of my singlehanded Bermuda race consisted of 15-25kts right on the nose and confused seas. It wasn't too pleasant in my 32', 7500-lb boat with lots of freeboard....That might not be a dry ride and it would be hard to hide from the waves. The open cockpit is modern and great and will drain quickly, but you might take some big waves over that low transom. I'd probably add an additional lifeline down low aft out of conservatism and might reinforce the hatch boards in the event a big one came right over and smacked you. It would be a bit of an effort to get a dodger rigged up, but that would probably be worth the effort; the tiller extension is long enough that I could drive comfortably from the front of the cockpit, if only I could find something to hide behind!

Overall, I'm extremely interested in the offshore potential of a boat I can easily slap onto a trailer and drive to the next race, and/or cruise a neat lake with my family. I'd be interested to sail the boat in some big breeze and waves to see how she feels and would be interested to hear from folks that have spent some time in big conditions and hear their comments. And if anyone wants to do some shorthanded distance racing around here, I'm holding up my hand! 

Svein, thanks again--sailing the lake on your boat felt like winning the lottery! I'm excited to see what you do with it.

I did the Mac with Sven on his first 27 

the boat is awesome offwind in a breeze 

14-17 knots all day long and very stable and easy to drive 

Just came in the door from Kaneohe Yacht Club,  the Antrim Ultimate27 is in but not the Express27 fleet yet - sure would be neat to see the SeaScape in that mix, -doublehanded.

The foil-carrying Beneteau is pretty wild to see.

No one minds a bit of promotion, particularly when someone is paying for it.  But threads like this (there are others) go over the top with the circle jerk gratuitous ads.

Been here a few time since it started but won't be coming back as it's just more of the same syrupy shit.

At least try to make it real.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't worry,  we'll get by without ya.

To be fair though,  SeaScapers - anybody have some fleet standings from anywhere in the US for this summer ?  It'd sure be interesting to see how you're stacking up against the FarEast28,  or just a well sailed Hobie 33 or a J-80 for that matter.

How many sold to the US so far ?  

If you have one on a trailer and you missed Pac Cup, or just don't want to do all the Offshore spec stuff,  you could STILL send your boat from the West Coast to Honolulu in time for the Labor Day race (Maui to Oahu) - it's like a 'mini' Transpac - 78 miles of downwind surfin' fun ending in Waikiki, big breeze often, big warm waves.

Just Sayin...

• Like 2

Curious if there have been any updates since the Beneteau acquisition - I've reached out to a couple of Bene dealers for details on pricing & availability of the 27 but haven't gotten anything back.  Any anticipated pricing or build/detail changes relative to the SSC27?  

This boat is really interesting to me - I'm contemplating downsizing a bit from my First 405 and this one is high on my list - would love to find one to check out in Southern CA.  

Prices will stay relatively the same as will the build method, from what i’ve heard the Beneteau influence will seek to lower material costs but other than that the Seascape team will continue as normal spread across 2 sites, the original site where the 27 and 18 are built and a second site where the 24 and 14 are built. Word is in Hamble, UK we might get a couple of stock/borrowed boats of which one may be a 27 and hopefully I’ll be able to get one out on the water in early spring

Ancasta, with zero experience of the product, tried to bully the existing UK dealer, but seem to have lost interest … From Plymouth he still has some sales going through.

No-one seems to know what Beneteau policy will be for the range. For the time being they have been added to websites and exhibited, but without enthusiasm. The action on racy boats in the group is all Sunfast.

The First range will be back next year starting with a larger cruiser racer to get things going, looking further down the line there will be a 35 footer but we might not see that until late 2019-2020. The current boats are hardly complex (that’s what makes them so appealing) and i’m sure Ancasta will be just fine. There’s little point getting over excited in the middle of winter until there’s more substance behind the new first range. Watch this space.

On 7/16/2018 at 6:57 AM, jetfuel said:

I did the Mac with Sven on his first 27 

the boat is awesome offwind in a breeze 

14-17 knots all day long and very stable and easy to drive 

You guys would have needed coast guard assistance if you did the Mac in it last year. That boat is a mission of hate upwind in chop.

• Like 1

Rumours have the existing larger Seascape project seeing the light of day as the new First model. The 35ish footer may or may not happen. There is a lot of work to be done to bring a rationale to the existing models within a renewed First range, and it is highly likely we will see significant changes of one sort or another. List prices have been reduced, but as yet without any behind the scenes action to maintain acceptable margins, so, again, we shall see. The 18 has some fleet credibility, but is hardly a recent model. The 27 is clever but quirky, with most supporters feeling the 24 has the best chance of commercial success in the new regime.

The 14 is at least a decade, if not 2 or 3 behind the likes of RS in terms of design/production/marketing/usability. Some clever ideas, but not developed as a package which can face the competition sadly. It is a concept rather than a finished article ready for market. Will Beneteau see any future in this boat/size/price?

Oh and don't forget the "possible" need for a new one design keelboat, without foils, of around 28-30' for the 5 ring circus. Seems the Figaro 3 is too far off spec.

17 hours ago, fucket said:

You guys would have needed coast guard assistance if you did the Mac in it last year. That boat is a mission of hate upwind in chop.

Just wondering, have we sailed together or which boat have you sailed and under what conditions?

On 12/23/2018 at 7:19 PM, fucket said:

Have you sailed one a lot ?

On 12/23/2018 at 7:19 PM, fucket said:

Seems like a lot of boats had issues in last years Mac

Sailed the 27 quite a bit and in lots of conditions. Boat is a blast off the wind, loves to get its bow out of the water and on a plane. Upwind in chop it does struggle a bit but is manageable, nothing coast guard assistance worthy of.

I have the only 27 in Chicago, so wondering as well how much sailing he has done on the boat. More fun off wind than up but agree that it is still manageable, just not as much fun. 

Maybe that is what he meant but we will see when he responds.

On 12/24/2018 at 3:50 PM, cms said:

Rumours have the existing larger Seascape project seeing the light of day as the new First model. The 35ish footer may or may not happen. There is a lot of work to be done to bring a rationale to the existing models within a renewed First range, and it is highly likely we will see significant changes of one sort or another. List prices have been reduced, but as yet without any behind the scenes action to maintain acceptable margins, so, again, we shall see. The 18 has some fleet credibility, but is hardly a recent model. The 27 is clever but quirky, with most supporters feeling the 24 has the best chance of commercial success in the new regime.

The 14 is at least a decade, if not 2 or 3 behind the likes of RS in terms of design/production/marketing/usability. Some clever ideas, but not developed as a package which can face the competition sadly. It is a concept rather than a finished article ready for market. Will Beneteau see any future in this boat/size/price?

I had a meeting in the seascape offices in the summer. The impression i got was that Sam manuard was designing and target size was 32ft (ish).  That was just after the announcement of the sale to beneteau so plans may have changed since then. 

Anyone handicap racing the 24 on irc or seen results?

I will check on the 24 under IRC in UK and get back.

When everyone is back from holidays I will update you on IRC numbers. My sailmaker son is currently making some new IRC friendly sails for a 24 following his experience of the boat and assessment of what could be done. Out of the box ORC number was 0.9556. IRC on that boat was around the 1.020 but I need to confirm that.

Little video of said son having a blast on the 24.

http://www.yachtsandyachting.co.uk/equipment/boat-tests/video-seascape-24-test/

Thanks, I hadn't seen that review. Be interesting to hear how he gets on in irc ad the boat ticks a lot of boxes.

Out of the box IRC number late 2016 was 1.039 - ouch!

Update you when they have an optimised number.

Just now, jetfuel said:

For the 27 or the 24?

Has anyone heard anything (more) about Beneteau/Seascape coming out with a new 30 (something) footer Beneateau First 30?

On 10/27/2019 at 3:15 PM, C34 Happy said:

Has anyone heard anything (more) about Beneteau/Seascape coming out with a new 30 (something) footer Beneateau First 30?

Lets see what January 18 brings!

Going to be hard not to be ugly if you want a Bene interior. The 27 seascape is sitting room only isn’t it.

The last Bene 30 is fucking ugly!!

The latest head honcho at Beneteau is not happy about much of what the last guy did. Potential major changes of product direction amongst others.

1 hour ago, cms said:

The latest head honcho at Beneteau is not happy about much of what the last guy did. Potential major changes of product direction amongst others.

Yeah he was fairly vocal about it, too many products on sale across the whole group and to many clashes in the boats on offer. I would expect the Sunfast 3600 to come off sale before the mid sized First goes on sale. The SF3300 occupies a segment of pure racer where I would expect the First to be more cruiser racer. Think more like a GS34.

The only new First is the 53, which is a posh, sunshine racer cruiser. Nice boat, but .... The only ex Seascape they have pushed is the 24, with fleets made available for events, and demo boats all over. Not many sold. Short term I would be very surprised to see anything new at the bottom end of their ranges.

I am considering a change from my J70.Its a great boat amd very strong but I would like something a bit bigger with some more creature comforts.The Seascape 27 ticked a lot of boxes but the First 27 basic version now has an aluminium rig,  not carbon fibre, a smaller sail plan and a fixed keel.  Has that " dumbed the boat down" so its now a floating truck not a racing machine? Anyone have any experience of the new iteration? The " old" SC 27 is still available as the SE model but its a lot more expensive 

18 minutes ago, Qingdaosog said:

something a bit bigger with some more creature comforts.The Seascape 27 ticked a lot of boxes

What creature comforts are there? 

Creature comforts? There is no racing round here so my J70 is sadly only used for social sailing. The lack of a loo is a problem for mixed crews.And it would be nice to be able to brew a coffee. Not  sure we would do much overnighting but nice to know we can if we want. And a set of instruments would be great. Last week caught in a rising wind and rolling fog. 100m visibility .My velocitek  got us back but more by luck than judgement. 

I really like the no-frills website but it seems he is buying the SE version . Lifting keel and all. I am hoping to find out if the basic version still works.