• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Earl Boebert

Tsunami "Ghost Ship" Spotted Near BC

One would think that with no power to run bilge pumps a ship like this would take on water and sink in a year's time. Kinda amazing she drifted that far!

I must say I don't love that they're going to scuttle it with 2,000 gallons of diesel aboard, with the reasoning that it's "far enough from the nearest coastline that any spillage would dissipate naturally" - basically that just amounts to 'out of sight, out of mind'. Just because that diesel isn't going to reach the coast where we can see it doesn't mean it's not going to have a negative impact.

I understand the difficulty and danger of trying to do otherwise, but still ...

I must say I don't love that they're going to scuttle it with 2,000 gallons of diesel aboard, with the reasoning that it's "far enough from the nearest coastline that any spillage would dissipate naturally" - basically that just amounts to 'out of sight, out of mind'. Just because that diesel isn't going to reach the coast where we can see it doesn't mean it's not going to have a negative impact.

I understand the difficulty and danger of trying to do otherwise, but still ...

..at least it's still outside the environment :)

OK guys I am curious. Why would it not be cost effective to salvage the ship? It's not like this is a 35 Sea Ray that you can replace for 50K.

Are the engine rooms flooded? Why not put a few Dudes on board and fire up the engines? It's not like the ship has been sitting unused for 10 or 20 years. She is still floating and only been adrift for a little over a year so most of the systems should still work??? Yes/No???

OK guys I am curious. Why would it not be cost effective to salvage the ship? It's not like this is a 35 Sea Ray that you can replace for 50K.

Are the engine rooms flooded? Why not put a few Dudes on board and fire up the engines? It's not like the ship has been sitting unused for 10 or 20 years. She is still floating and only been adrift for a little over a year so most of the systems should still work??? Yes/No???

...if the boat was salvaged,,the USCG wouldn't have anythin to scuttle :(;)

...if the boat was salvaged,,the USCG wouldn't have anythin to scuttle :(;)

Maybe its a viral marketing plan to get someone to salvage it.. laugh.gif

Start out with the fuel. Would you put that fuel in your tank? What's the clean-up cost for that alone?

Start out with the fuel. Would you put that fuel in your tank? What's the clean-up cost for that alone?

Better to recycle it than dump it in the ocean.

I wouldn't put it in the tank of a diesel engine, but I'd have no problem burning it for heat; no high precision parts involved there.

It was already slated for scrapping, so its unlikely that there is much of anything valuable left.

Thats a big liability to take by the fishermen if they tow it in.

Its a long way to India to scrap it.

The ship had been destined for scrapping when the Japan earthquake struck

The ship has no lights or communications system and has a tank that could carry more than 2,000 gallons of diesel fuel.

I don't get why it would/could have so much fuel if it was to be scrapped.

I wonder if they are justifying shooting it.

US Coast Guard unleashes cannon fire at Japanese ghost ship set adrift by last year’s tsunami

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/us-coast-guard-unleashes-cannon-fire-at-japanese-ghost-ship-set-adrift-by-last-years-tsunami/2012/04/05/gIQAWjHRyS_story.html

OK the ship was already scheduled to be scrapped, makes more sense now. As has been said there probably was not a lot of fuel on board. Any video of the pumbling?