• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
mainsheetsister

Our Beloved mainsheetgirl

Nice. What the fuk is that famous line from Casablanca? 'I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship'?.....

:)

Yups. MSS is in like Flynn here. But someone needs to take her out on the water.....

Dear all, just a reminder that Catherine's parents (and others) are going to be reading this, too.

I'm sure the stories are great, and I'm sure they can be told in a way that shows, with a smidge of respect, how we honour our friends.

Not to rain on the party, just to remind that the audience is not just SAers.

...../we now return you to your regular programming.

Dear all, just a reminder that Catherine's parents are going to be reading this, too.

I'm sure the stories are great, and I'm sure they can be told in a way that shows, with a smidge of respect, how we honour our friends.

Not to rain on the party, just to remind that the audience is not just SAers.

...../we now return you to your regular programming.

A few irreverent remarks aside, I for one truly hope that Catherine's family and closest friends can see just how loved she was in this fuktastic, hugemungous community of fellow sailors, adventurers, watermen, wanderlusters and good natured neer'-do-wells..... :P

Señor Mariachi, I laughed with the rest of you at changing the thread title to DTF, just staving off some of the more graphic descriptions (or perhaps pictures) that do little to show our respect beyond the SA audience that know/understand our rather quirky sense of humour.

Mainsheet sister--

Catherine was probably the most remarkable person I have ever met. She came to Fort Lauderdale to sail and touched all of us who live here with her wonderfully twisted sense of humor, her religiosity collection, her outlook on life, the universe and everything. (The answer, of course is "42".) She volunteered to straighten out the paperwork monster that was threatening to eat my office and it's still much better. Whenever she came to Lauderdale, the sky was bluer, the sea greener, the waves more gentle, the beer beereier, and life infinitely more better.

We will miss her incredible personality and esp. her total lack of pretension. (Actually, she thought of pretension as something like prebend.)

O.K., mainsheetsister, welcome to SA. Nobody has said it yet, although they're all probably thinking it. You are a Newbie, I saw it on your post. Catherine would roll around on the floor laughing out loud that anyone would dare mention the Newbie Protocol to you at this time.

Don't go away, please. You are one of us now and we hope you'll think of the Sea and all of us who honor Catherine's life, her family, her world, her loves, her wonderful life. We are all better for having known and loved her.

Newbie? No shit, but it wouldn't be so effing obvious if someone would just send me the instruction manual and the damn answer key.

I for one, love you already.

Welcome aboard, Dear.....

Love all of you, too. And see that picture of someone bouncing up and down by elle's name? Let's just pretend that's me...

Welcome. You'll be just fine in this crazy old fur ball.

MSS is a welcome addition to our merry band of pranksters here. MSG was always giving me crap for not posting more. So I have now been drawn in and must say that I have found comfort here. Thank you all...

We all remember a fabulous, irreverent, impish creature. It is wonderful that we can share our memories of Catherine. I will never forget when Madge and I convinced her to come to the dark side and give Race Committee a try. I think she was afraid she'd be banned from sailing until I reminded her that I raced rolleyes.gif. It was my birthday and we were working the disabled circle at OCR's. She and Madge had made up all of these little bundles of goodies for me to toss to the competitors as they checked in. The PRO had a fit and Catherine looked at her and asked what she had against birthdays.... After racing we stood on the dock drinking champagne and stalking our favorite paraplegic. Catherine insisted that he have his picture taken with us since it was my birthday. Of course she was the one who ended up sitting in his lap. I still have that picture by my bed. Good memories...

You are forever a part of me Catherine. When I heard the news I felt as though a hole had opened in my heart that would never heal. In the last couple of days though that hole has been filled with memories of you... and in my heart is where you will always be.

Mainsheet sister--

Catherine was probably the most remarkable person I have ever met. She came to Fort Lauderdale to sail and touched all of us who live here with her wonderfully twisted sense of humor, her religiosity collection, her outlook on life, the universe and everything. (The answer, of course is "42".) She volunteered to straighten out the paperwork monster that was threatening to eat my office and it's still much better. Whenever she came to Lauderdale, the sky was bluer, the sea greener, the waves more gentle, the beer beereier, and life infinitely more better.

We will miss her incredible personality and esp. her total lack of pretension. (Actually, she thought of pretension as something like prebend.)

O.K., mainsheetsister, welcome to SA. Nobody has said it yet, although they're all probably thinking it. You are a Newbie, I saw it on your post. Catherine would roll around on the floor laughing out loud that anyone would dare mention the Newbie Protocol to you at this time.

Don't go away, please. You are one of us now and we hope you'll think of the Sea and all of us who honor Catherine's life, her family, her world, her loves, her wonderful life. We are all better for having known and loved her.

Newbie? No shit, but it wouldn't be so effing obvious if someone would just send me the instruction manual and the damn answer key.

I for one, love you already.

Welcome aboard, Dear.....

Love all of you, too. And see that picture of someone bouncing up and down by elle's name? Let's just pretend that's me...

lolz...that actually is me (about 4 yrs ago or so). i'll let you borrow it if i can find my old one ;) which was catherine's favorite...i hear tell she has an entire elle bewb file somewhere...it is not as extensive as her jesus collection but it is likely the most complete collection of my "werk" anywhere :)

Nice. What the fuk is that famous line from Casablanca? 'I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship'?.....

Yups. MSS is in like Flynn here. But someone needs to take her out on the water.....

pick me! pick me! i hope the whole mainsheet family will come sailing with me one day :)

Beautiful day on Lake Pontchartrain, 15 out of the East, back-to-back sailing lessons. Several times, as is my habit over the years, I'd pass the main to a female student and tell her, "okay, you're 'mainsheet girl' now".

I did it again today, and of course I thought of Catherine. May she sail those breezes forever. Prayers for peace for her family.

Fair winds and beautiful seas. Enjoy the journey.

very sad news indeed, MSS you are a champion and may your sore heart warm soon on this very special day. :) Take comfort in knowing that catherine had a big following you are a courageous person for taking of your sis to the end and most importantly you had the pleasure of saying goodbye with your mom and pop. You are a good person, peace

Cast your eyes too the ocean.

Cast your soul to the sea.

When the dark night seems endless.

Please remember me...

Please remember me...

Please remember me.

-- Dante's Prayer, by Lorena McKinnett

MSG- Fair winds chica. I'll light a candle at Easter Mass tomorrow morning in your honour. As of right now, a big glass of rum and a tear will have to do. Peace be with you.

MSS- Prayers for peace and comfort for you and your family. Don't be a stranger here. I find it best enjoyed with a toddy.

One of my favourites, just for you MSG-

"Sea-Fever"

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,

And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,

And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,

And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide

Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;

And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,

And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,

To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;

And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover

And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

-John Masefield

An old Irish saying for you mate: "Jesus saves Drunks and Sailors but not Particularly in that order"

Sail on Sailor RIP

I'll be opening a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc tonight, which I know Catherine loved, throwing away the cork and spending some time thinking about the happy times she brought to the Sailing Anarchy community.

Fair winds MSG. :(

The pinned announcement made me shiver. Even when it is expected, it still hurts.

Condolences to Catherine's family, friends and all who sailed with her.

No kidding, no mocking, no sarcasm here, for once. My most sincere condolences to you and your family.

Cancer is indeed a thief, and I know from sad experience what you're feeling now. Be happy and remember all the good times.

-Paul

"Sail on Silver Girl,

Sail on by

Your time has come to shine

All your dreams are on their way"

Simon & Garfunkel, Bridge Over Troubled Water

To have touched the lives of so many people that never met MSG in person (including me), is one hell of a legacy to leave behind and a sure sign of a life well lived, if too short. We should all do so well.

To MSS and family and Dan the Man, we all feel the loss of Catherine and the pain we feel is for our loss, her suffering is over.  You have a large family here and feel free to take any comfort here we can give.  I am sure I speak for SA in saying you are always welcome here.

To her family and many friends treasure the memories they will get you through the night and lead you into the sunshine of day. TO MSG smooth seas ....

Came home from putting away the winter boats yesterday and saw this. 8(

MSG you are in my prayers, you too MSS and all the family. If love is what it's all about, I see a lot of it here.

She suffers no more. Godspeed, Fair Winds and Following Seas. May your tacks always be lifted and your sail have just the right twist.

Just for the record, if any pictures are stricken from this thread in an attempt to 'edit' Catherine's life, I will be highly highly disappointed..

Catherine is a poster child for strength in the face of adversity, and lettin' it ride through her creativity and expression and living..

There are apparently some who believe the photos should be removed out of respect for Catherine's family ~~

I leave that up to MSS, but having known Catherine, I think keeping the photos "is" honoring her..

Not being a collector of racy photos, when I understood this might happen, I literally raced to SA to download some of the photos of my crazy friend Catherine.

Let's edit hate...and not edit Love <3

There seem to be split tacks on the pix thing.

I'm with BSB's track. MSG wouldn't edit her life...so why should we?

If MSS pulls the handbrake for family discretion, then we respect that and do it.

Until then...this is still SA.

There seem to be split tacks on the pix thing.

I'm with BSB's track. MSG wouldn't edit her life...so why should we?

If MSS pulls the handbrake for family discretion, then we respect that and do it.

Until then...this is still SA.

..never has 'pics or it didn't happen' ever applied more :)

Catherine's life 'did' happen ~ and in the grand scheme of things, maybe it should be happening more and more for all of us...and maybe some of us have forgotten about that...but life should certainly not be happening less and less : )

...you can bet I'll be having a little 'more' fun going forward, and a little 'less'...editing..

"Do what you like, and say what you feel, because those who matter won't mind, and those who mind won't matter." -Dr. Suess

...Oh, and in a pinch, if anyone's tributes to Catherine lead them to a lonely place (lol), this is the secret Sharpie-removing formula (I used it to shower with when Catherine & Co. put me up for a week..awesome stuff): http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/OLLA32/LavenderLiquidSoap.htm

"Sail on Silver Girl,

Sail on by

To have touched the lives of so many people that never met MSG in person (including me), is one hell of a legacy to leave behind and a sure sign of a life well lived, if too short. We should all do so well.

To MSS and family and Dan the Man, we all feel the loss of Catherine and the pain we feel is for our loss, her suffering is over. You have a large family here and feel free to take any comfort here we can give. I am sure I speak for SA in saying you are always welcome here.

Thanks for the Simon and Garfunkel reference. It is perfect. On her last day at home, March 17, Catherine and I took a long ride in the car. It was a sunny afternoon, Simon and Garfunkel was in the cd player, and we went to one of our favorite places, the lookout over the Indian Ladder Trail on the Helderburg Escarpment. An amazing place forever imprinted with her presence. I haven't been able to listen to that cd since, because I can't see to drive when I'm sobbing.

Took the full frontal photos out in respect of Mainsheetsister and the family's desire to save this entire thread as a tribute.

We can always start a raunchy, Irish-wake style thread to put all that stuff in, if and when we are up to it. I have a lot of those pics, Sol has a thousand stories, and so on.

Took the full frontal photos out in respect of Mainsheetsister and the family's desire to save this entire thread as a tribute.

We can always start a raunchy, Irish-wake style thread to put all that stuff in, if and when we are up to it. I have a lot of those pics, Sol has a thousand stories, and so on.

...I love that she kept the full frontal on her fridge at home :)

Fair enough Clean.

We're being true to her legacy and honouring her family's wishes...at a very sensitive time.

Pretty hard to argue with that.

Thank you. A perfect compromise. I purposefully stayed out of the debate, as I thought you'd all be better off squabbling amongst yourselves, and that reason and marginally good taste would prevail in the end.

The raunchy, Irish wake thread will be perfect. And Catherine would be highly disappointed if hers were the only boobs to appear there. So pop open a Guiness, pour a Jameson, and get started.

Fair enough Clean.

We're being true to her legacy and honouring her family's wishes...at a very sensitive time.

Pretty hard to argue with that.

Ala D/Mode------gotta Get The Balance Right.....

pick me! pick me! i hope the whole mainsheet family will come sailing with me one day :)

sweet elle, i can think of nothing that i would love more than to sail with you...

I am so sorry for your loss.

The following helped me recently. Perhaps it may do so for you.

"Iam standing on the sea shore. A shipsails and spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for theocean. She is an object of beauty and Istand watching her till at last she fades on the horizon, and someone at myside says “She is gone”. Gonewhere? Gone from my sight that isall. She is just as large in the masts,hull and spars as she was when I saw her, and just as able to carry her load ofliving freight to it’s destination.

Thediminished size and total loss of sight is in me, not in her; and just at themoment when someone at my side says “She is gone”, there are others who arewatching her coming. Other voices takeup the glad shout “There she comes!” – and that is dying."

Victor Hugo

sweet elle, i can think of nothing that i would love more than to sail with you...

You.....will not be disappointed......

Sunset and evening star

And one clear call for me!

And may there be no moaning of the bar,

When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,

Too full for sound and foam,

When that which drew from out the boundless deep

Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,

And after that the dark!

And may there be no sadness of farewell,

When I embark;

For though from out our bourne of Time and Place

The flood may bear me far,

I hope to see my Pilot face to face

When I have crossed the bar.

Thank you. A perfect compromise. I purposefully stayed out of the debate, as I thought you'd all be better off squabbling amongst yourselves, and that reason and marginally good taste would prevail in the end.

The raunchy, Irish wake thread will be perfect. And Catherine would be highly disappointed if hers were the only boobs to appear there. So pop open a Guiness, pour a Jameson, and get started.

Thank you so much, MSS, for sharing your beautiful tribute story and memories, and just as easily shifting into the SA community; glad for the compromise, and special to see that MSG's friends are stalwart in being protective...both of privacy and of 'free expression' : ) And both are being honored ~ nice : )

..re: Catherine being disappointed..I think you must be channeling her! ;) Not that the guys think there's anything wrong with that..

Thank you so much, MSS, for sharing your beautiful tribute story and memories, and just as easily shifting into the SA community; glad for the compromise, and special to see that MSG's friends are stalwart in being protective...both of privacy and of 'free expression' : ) And both are being honored ~ nice : )

..re: Catherine being disappointed..I think you must be channeling her! ;) Not that the guys think there's anything wrong with that..

Are you sure that she wasn't channeling me all along? After all, she was my little sister. I have always taken great pride in the fact that I was her first bad influence.

Are you sure that she wasn't channeling me all along? After all, she was my little sister. I have always taken great pride in the fact that I was her first bad influence.

Oh, and by the way, you people are all batshit crazy. No wonder she had so much to say.

Oh, and by the way, you people are all batshit crazy. No wonder she had so much to say.

lmfao!

So true. But this is why we like it here :rolleyes:

I'll be going back Down Under again in late September to help manage the 7th Heaven Can Wait race for cancer, and I'll be doing it in Catherine's honor this year. Want to join us? When I first considered making the trip 6 years ago, I was concerned about sorting out all of the local logistics, assuming that I could even get to Australia. I was told (in no uncertain terms), "If you get here, we'll take care of you!"

And so they have. Every single year.

The official event link is at the bottom of my posts, and more details, including a course map, are right here on SA in the HCW thread:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=16654&st=4122

lmfao!

Me, too! MSS, I guess SA is sort of quick study! Thank you for all the posts.

My condolences to Dan and Catherines family.

A special light has been extinguished and all who knew Catherine, even from the edges of SA, are diminished. Our collective memory of happy times shared will have to suffice... and help to keep her spirit and zest for life alive within us all!

Thanks, MSS, for sharing the story that provided so much comfort to Catherine. Tears of empathy wetted my cheeks for the obvious love shared by those who must be parted.

Sparx

I did not know her,but a friend of sailing is a friend of mine.I am sorry to hear cancer took some one else.I have her calendar and will all ways have it up in my garage.Sea you on the other side Mainsheet Girl

BTW - Newport/Ri/Southern NE people I have the calendar we are passing around. Hope to catch up with any I can in the next week to add your notes.

BTW - Newport/Ri/Southern NE people I have the calendar we are passing around. Hope to catch up with any I can in the next week to add your notes.

Would love to get together while it's in town. I'm leaving Thursday am for PA til Sunday. Cocktails after work one night early this week?

"Sail on Silver Girl,

Sail on by

To MSS and family and Dan the Man, we all feel the loss of Catherine and the pain we feel is for our loss, her suffering is over. You have a large family here and feel free to take any comfort here we can give. I am sure I speak for SA in saying you are always welcome here.

Thanks for the Simon and Garfunkel reference. It is perfect. On her last day at home, March 17, Catherine and I took a long ride in the car. It was a sunny afternoon, Simon and Garfunkel was in the cd player, and we went to one of our favorite places, the lookout over the Indian Ladder Trail on the Helderburg Escarpment. An amazing place forever imprinted with her presence. I haven't been able to listen to that cd since, because I can't see to drive when I'm sobbing.

Hi MSS, I am glad you understood what I wanted to say. Sometimes it hurts so good!

OMG - you're priceless.

And, if I may (respectfully) add ... POT CALLING KETTLE BLACK BATSHIT CRAZY! :lol:

I never met Catherine, but based on the response here she must have been one hell of a fantastic person.

God bless her.

It's all been said, I have nothing to add...

... except that I still don't understand why I can feel so emotional about losing someone that I have never met.

It always sucks when someone who we love is lost to us. To any of us. All we can do is wish peace and our love to those left behind. And hope that they can heal enough to keep memories alive, and to keep loving everyone else around them.

There is nothing I can say that has not already been said. Too young, far too young. Sail on Catherine.

Mainsheetsister...

We may be bat shit crazy, but our wings envelope/wrap around you and hold you/comfort you dear and tight. cool.gif

Sail on silver girl from 2 of the batshit crazy kooks, thank you for bringing your big wooden spoon to each topic & giving it a good stir!

Thank you Dan for being so selfless - good karma will be aorund you forever & thanks sister for letting us share.

To all who got there on behalf of us & made room for the virtuals on the bed - we will pay that forward just like Shaun taught us

Love & Bubbles

OA & lydia

xxx

A fitting piece, I have shared with many over the years....

"I am standing by the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength,and I stand and watch until at last she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sun and sky come down to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says, 'There she goes! Gone where? Gone from my sight – that is all.

She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and just as able to bear her load of living freight to the places of destination. Her diminished size is in me, not in her.

And just at the moment when someone at my side says,'There she goes! ' ,there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout; 'Here she comes!'"

Would love to get together while it's in town. I'm leaving Thursday am for PA til Sunday. Cocktails after work one night early this week?

Evenings are tough for me to get out - family obligations on school nights and whatnot, but I can check my wife's schedule and see that works.

Hey that's great BJ. I thought it had fallen through the cracks.

Perhaps it could be sent to MSG's / MSS's family.

Takes one to know one. ;)

It was with her family, MSS gave it to me last Thursday when I was there so I could take it to the RI folks.

The plan is it to keep circulating it then get it back to the family in a few months after it's made it to everyone that it needs to get to.

It was with her family, MSS gave it to me last Thursday when I was there so I could take it to the RI folks.

The plan is it to keep circulating it then get it back to the family in a few months after it's made it to everyone that it needs to get to.

Awesome. As the initiator of that little project, very sad we didn't get to hand it to Catherine at the end of the year, but at the same time, glad it could serve in the grieving process for her family. Thanks for keeping it moving...

tuf-luf, sol and i brought the calendar to catherine when we visited her. she saw everyone's notes who had signed it and we left it with her for her friends to sign when they visited...she saw it and smiled and had it with her...take heart in that :) we didn't get to hand it to her at the end of the year...but hand it to her we did.

+10!

If you spent a bit more time here, you might know better. Your naivete is refreshing, and I invite you to read a few other threads before you slander this website with the phrase "marginally good taste".

Reading this thread, we can add to Catherine's legacy that she got ass-holes and angels to hold hands.

Hang in there, MSSister, and when the raunchy thread get's started - whip 'em out, newb.

is it possible to get it back to albany for saturday? i'll take responsibility for getting it signed and sending it forward...if you guys think it's a good idea.

tuf-luf, sol and i brought the calendar to catherine when we visited her. she saw everyone's notes who had signed it and we left it with her for her friends to sign when they visited...she saw it and smiled and had it with her...take heart in that :) we didn't get to hand it to her at the end of the year...but hand it to her we did.

Thanks elle - I had lost track of how far it had traveled.

I'm so glad it added another smile to Catherine's final days. :)

Thanks elle - I had lost track of how far it had traveled.

I'm so glad it added another smile to Catherine's final days. :)

it did indeed make her smile, that was a good idea you had there.

Again, 'a never met MSG' commentator, but it just shows how big an effect her comments and wit had on the global community.

Just wanted to re-offer an earlier offer that was made to MSG.

There was some discussion earlier on her visiting Australia and hoping to see the start of the Syd-Hobart or just to do some sailing and catching up with friends.

We have an executive apartment in Syd that is leased on a short term basis and we offered a stay free to MSG if she made it to Aust.

That offer still stands if MSS or Dan or MSG's parents wanted to visit our fair city.

Maybe as mentioned above by DCMJudge, the Oct HCW race may be ideal?

PM me if your interested and I can forward all the details.

The apartment web site link was posted in an earlier thread somewhere, but I wont post it again as I will be told to buy an ad.

It would be a pleasure to help out in this small way if we could.

Again, 'a never met MSG' commentator, but it just shows how big an effect her comments and wit had on the global community.

Just wanted to re-offer an earlier offer that was made to MSG.

There was some discussion earlier on her visiting Australia and hoping to see the start of the Syd-Hobart or just to do some sailing and catching up with friends.

We have an executive apartment in Syd that is leased on a short term basis and we offered a stay free to MSG if she made it to Aust.

That offer still stands if MSS or Dan or MSG's parents wanted to visit our fair city.

Maybe as mentioned above by DCMJudge, the Oct HCW race may be ideal?

PM me if your interested and I can forward all the details.

The apartment web site link was posted in an earlier thread somewhere, but I wont post it again as I will be told to buy an ad.

It would be a pleasure to help out in this small way if we could.

A beautiful and generous offer. Thank you. Catherine lamented the fact that she would not get to Australia. Or take a hot air balloon ride. Or eat in a five-star restaurant. Or have a puppy. So many things. I tried to reassure her that she hadn't done those things in this life because she was meant to save them for when she got there. And that she would be glad that she had waited, because all of those places and things would be far better there than they could ever be here...I think she believed me. Sometimes.

And I would love to come in October, but I used every sick and personal day that I had to be with Catherine, and am now on a leave of absence for the rest of the school year from my job as a Science teacher. I've been standing in front of my students since September pretending that things are okay...I'm pretty good at compartmentalizing...but I just can't pretend anymore.