• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
mainsheetsister

Our Beloved mainsheetgirl

I've been chasing this thread as it escapes away from me with contributions.

So many thoughts from so many friends...

J

Catherine lamented the fact that she would not get to Australia.

MSS.....I'd like to think Catherine was a mate....a very good one. Never met her face to face but got to know quite a bit about her through here over the years as we had many laughs and conversations via Skype etc. Old mate Grumpy, who is currently lost for words, was also a big part of that....Matter of fact she had a very big impact on life as I know it now during one of those times as she was instrumental in me plucking the courage to ask my darling wife to marry me. Long distance relationship blah blah blah. Catherine weighed up the options in a way only she could and was spot on. Thank you forever Ms. C.

It was my wife and I she hoped to visit in Sydney and I'd like to think she is doing that now in spirit.

You are welcome to our humble home anytime MSS.....we still call it Catherines' room and it's yours if you need it.

Evo & Skirts

So many thoughts expressed here, which echo my own. I think of Catherine now at peace and in gentle flight, free from pain and fear, and exploring new seas.

This all is a sad and sobering reminder that life can be cut very short, and that we can't count on anything much more than the present moment.

This is an obscure song, but it says beautifully how important it is, to not leave healing words left unsaid, to loved ones.

Another ear-worm keeps running thru my head when I think of msg. The reason why is hard to define, except to say that their voices remind me of wings, and the simple amazing pleasure of sailing, lift and flight. HALLELUJAH

Healing thoughts to friends and family she left behind

What she'd say

522021_3045508376981_1241282081_32494342_615773372_n.jpg

as she did

Fair winds and following seas, Catherine...

I considered you a friend, and am a better person for knowing you, even for the short time I did.

TT

Sail on in peace. You were an inspiration to sister sailors.

To all your family, much love.

Eye.

Well God... I hope you're ready, because here she comes.

Quick wit and a terrific sense of humour.

Your gain is our loss.

I'll miss her.

Fair winds C.

-Steve

Sail on girl... I told Dad a newbie was coming to town and to get the teak varnished. He probably won't, but he'll have a small-batch bourbon waiting for you in the cockpit.

Take care of him for me.

Still visiting and crying reading all the post. Hope to get out sailing soon on my boat just so I can look up at the main and think of you. TRIM!

Miss you MSG.

Mainsheetsister, we have all lost a friend, but you and your parents have lost so much more. Knowing that she is free of that ugly disease, and no longer in pain does not make you miss her any less. Please tell your mom and dad that our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Mainsheetsister...

We may be bat shit crazy, but our wings envelope/wrap around you and hold you/comfort you dear and tight. cool.gif

Thank you. I didn't say that batshit crazy was a bad thing. It's rather perfect, actually.

I first read the news on FB, a post from DCMJ, driving to the Columbia Sailing Center to race the J/24 Easter Regatta on Saturday morning with my team. Tears came and the car grew quiet. I read a few things here, and more tears came. I couldn't bring myself to write anything then. Finally catching up now on a real computer and keyboard, alternating between laughter and tears -entirely appropriate.

Chris -you are amazing. The short time the kids and I spent with you and your sister last weekend was so precious. I feel like I've known you 1/2 my life. I am SO happy that we made that trip, yet I dread the moment when I seen the kids this afternoon after school, and have to tell them the news. You told me that visit was a gift to Catherine, but it was an enormous, selfish gift to me. I lost my dear, close friend Michael, one of my best sailing mates to cancer too, and never got to see him or even speak with him near the end. That has left a huge void in my heart for years, filled with pain and regret. I had vowed to never let that happen again. Catherine gave me so many gifts of love and support while going through the Pebble's cancer treatments. Visiting last weekend felt like atonement for me for not doing the same for Mike. It was selfish, I went for me. It was another one of Catherine's many gifts to me. I have no doubt that she's not done giving to me even now. There are ongoing lessons here of love, compassion, empathy.

While it was obvious last week that the cancer and chemo had ravaged her body, her mind and spirit were still so alive. I drove home hoping and wanting to believe that she would be around for her birthday in July as she wanted. I know there were darker moments of doubt, fear and uncertainty, and Chris, your story is a thing of beauty & love. Thank you for sharing that with us. As Carina said, Catherine's statement that there would be no more Catherine IS patently false. She touched my life profoundly, I was clearly not the only one. That is a life well lived, regardless of its brevity.

There is no rhyme or reason why some are stricken by the beast, why some are survivors and some are angels. Yet both have gifts to give and lessons to teach if and when we open our eyes and our hearts.

Gone the Catherine in body, but not forgotten.

With peace, love and appreciation,

Dan

Just went to the SA front page and read the obit. Saturday the 14th is my 47th birthday. I'm going to stay at home, invite over a bunch of sailors and friends, look at the ocean and get blind stinking drunk to celebrate life in Catherine's honor. Seems entirely appropriate, I know she would approve. I will certainly take time to offer a toast for our friend. I also know you'll all have fun and some tears in Vorhees.

Fair winds and following seas Catherine. Peace to you and your family.

You are gone but never forgotten.

"I lay on the bowsprit, facing astern, with the water foaming into spume under me, the masts with every sail white in the moonlight, towering high above me. I became drunk with the beauty and signing rhythm of it, and for a moment I lost myself -- actually lost my life. I was set free! I dssolved in the sea, became white sails and flying spray, became beauty and rhythm, became moonlight and the ship and the high dim-starred sky! I belonged, without past or future, within peace and unity and a wild joy, within something greater than my own life, or the life of Man, to Life itself! To God, if you want to put it that way."

-Eugene O'Neill

"I lay on the bowsprit, facing astern, with the water foaming into spume under me, the masts with every sail white in the moonlight, towering high above me. I became drunk with the beauty and signing rhythm of it, and for a moment I lost myself -- actually lost my life. I was set free! I dssolved in the sea, became white sails and flying spray, became beauty and rhythm, became moonlight and the ship and the high dim-starred sky! I belonged, without past or future, within peace and unity and a wild joy, within something greater than my own life, or the life of Man, to Life itself! To God, if you want to put it that way."

-Eugene O'Neill

That is quite beautiful and amazingly apt. Thanks for posting that.

My condolences.

I can't find words as eloquent as others but my thoughts are with MSG's family and friends, including those on here.

Fair winds MSG.

I first read the news on FB, a post from DCMJ, driving to the Columbia Sailing Center to race the J/24 Easter Regatta on Saturday morning with my team. Tears came and the car grew quiet. I read a few things here, and more tears came. I couldn't bring myself to write anything then. Finally catching up now on a real computer and keyboard, alternating between laughter and tears -entirely appropriate.

Chris -you are amazing. The short time the kids and I spent with you and your sister last weekend was so precious. I feel like I've known you 1/2 my life. I am SO happy that we made that trip, yet I dread the moment when I seen the kids this afternoon after school, and have to tell them the news. You told me that visit was a gift to Catherine, but it was an enormous, selfish gift to me. I lost my dear, close friend Michael, one of my best sailing mates to cancer too, and never got to see him or even speak with him near the end. That has left a huge void in my heart for years, filled with pain and regret. I had vowed to never let that happen again. Catherine gave me so many gifts of love and support while going through the Pebble's cancer treatments. Visiting last weekend felt like atonement for me for not doing the same for Mike. It was selfish, I went for me. It was another one of Catherine's many gifts to me. I have no doubt that she's not done giving to me even now. There are ongoing lessons here of love, compassion, empathy.

While it was obvious last week that the cancer and chemo had ravaged her body, her mind and spirit were still so alive. I drove home hoping and wanting to believe that she would be around for her birthday in July as she wanted. I know there were darker moments of doubt, fear and uncertainty, and Chris, your story is a thing of beauty & love. Thank you for sharing that with us. As Carina said, Catherine's statement that there would be no more Catherine IS patently false. She touched my life profoundly, I was clearly not the only one. That is a life well lived, regardless of its brevity.

There is no rhyme or reason why some are stricken by the beast, why some are survivors and some are angels. Yet both have gifts to give and lessons to teach if and when we open our eyes and our hearts.

Dan

Dan,

I'm not amazing at all. I came to this virtual place in desperation, looking for my sister, and knowing that I would find fragments of her here.

And I did, far more than I could have hoped for. She lived and loved with a ferocity that is astounding, but that I have known in her all along.

And all of you saw it, too.

Thank you for that.

Love, Chris

I'm not amazing at all. I came to this virtual place in desperation, looking for my sister, and knowing that I would find fragments of her here.

And I did, far more than I could have hoped for. She lived and loved with a ferocity that is astounding, but that I have known in her all along.

Thank you for that.

Love, Chris

Give yourself some more credit.

And I'm happy that you continue to find what you sought here. smile.gif Pretty remarkable place at times.

Dan

Dan,

Thank you for that.

Love, Chris

Chris,

That's exactly how we knew Catherine.. and...

That's how we roll here.

;)

Sending even more positive energy your way.

If I may a stolen & broken paraphrase:

"Now cracks a noble heart. Goodnight sweet princess, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

Rest in peace MSG

Catherine:

I'm thinking of you to night while I sit here going bat shit waiting for news of my first grandaughter. I'd like to think she would be a lot like you. But most of all I miss you and I hope you and Spike are having a great time.

I woke up this morning feeling down, another day without Spike. I suppose that is kind of a "feeling sorry for yourself" kind of thing. Ok. I'll go with that. Then I thought, Spike is never gone from my heart. He is always with me. And today I get my first grandaughter, Spring Spika Perry. I should feel really jubilant. But I don't. My bad. Right now I miss you and Spike more than I can celebrate the new baby. In time she will become important to me. I know that will happen. I'll try my best not to call her Spika. But, I think I will.

I am ready for a little joy in my life.

Catherine:

I'm thinking of you to night while I sit here going bat shit waiting for news of my first grandaughter. I'd like to think she would be a lot like you. But most of all I miss you and I hope you and Spike are having a great time.

I woke up this morning feeling down, another day without Spike. I suppose that is kind of a "feeling sorry for yourself" kind of thing. Ok. I'll go with that. Then I thought, Spike is never gone from my heart. He is always with me. And today I get my first grandaughter, Spring Spika Perry. I should feel really jubilant. But I don't. My bad. Right now I miss you and Spike more than I can celebrate the new baby. In time she will become important to me. I know that will happen. I'll try my best not to call her Spika. But, I think I will.

I'm guessing you will feel jubilant in short order...grandbabies can do that, or so I've been told. We expect pictures.

My sister, Catherine, your beloved mainsheetgirl, died last night, April 5, 2012 at 8:21 p.m. local time. Like a sneak-thief, cancer stole her life right before our very eyes.

Spending this time with my sister will always be precious. I had always thought that I would get to spend the rest of my life with her, but as that was not meant to be, I made sure that she was able to spend the rest of her life with me.

I wish to offer sincere condolences to you for the loss of Catherine. The time spent with those who love you is precious indeed. I am convinced that you gave Catherine the greatest gift possible.

OK let me begin by saying I'm not usually a sappy sentimentalist, I tend to enjoy gallows humor more than most and have for most of my life had a very difficult time saying anything to the bereaved but the wrong thing.

This time it is easy: MainsheetgirlSister, I have little doubt that if any of the rest of us were to follow your sister to the great regatta in the sky, even half of the responses we have had already here would be a glowing endorsement to a life well lived, by measure of the impact she has had on other people. You should be very proud of your little sister, your early bad influence may have been anything but.

Bob P.: Congrats, I'm sure you will be a wonderful grand father, joy will come. Mulling over the loss and grief thing this evening, it occurred to me that the loss of a "fully developed" person (for lack of a better term) can produce more grief than the birth of a (blank slate) produces happiness. But the happiness and joy grows with the child and before long you are in love with the little person. Buddhist theology handles this issue nicely but you need to be a 10th degree black belt Dali lama not to feel the pain. Another of my 2 cents worth during a highly inflationary period.

My sincere condolences to the whole family.

One thing I'm sure, if it helps: I am sure Catherine's name is now sailing the atlantic.

Maria

Fair winds! I sailed with her way, way down the Chesapeake. She was a Glory Stomper, "crowding a lifetime of living, into 'now'"

I can't for the life of me remember if I ever met her, but I've known (of) Catherine since she broke onto the SA scene so dramatically a few years ago. I've sailed a few races in Corpus, and we certainly had some friends in common. Anyway, I was getting out of Easter vigil Mass when I got the text that she was gone (yeah, didn't hear till Sat night) and my sweetie and I sat up till all hours drinking, listening to Radiohead, and just being close. Life is NOT short, it's the longest thing you do...but MSG's should have been so much longer. I still can't read this thread w/out crying. Fair winds, Catherine! and thanks to/for all the kind words from around the world.

Another sad day for sailors of anarchy. Fair winds Catherine and condolences to your family. We never met but I felt your spirit.

Catherine:

Congratuations, Bob. April 9 is a nice day for a birthday. Hold your new Spring Spika Perry and watch her while she sleeps. Be in the moment with her. That's one of the nice things about a baby, aside from the fact that they stay right where you left them, is that they are in the moment. Always. And that's the easiest place to be. Joy will come in its time, wee Spika will make sure of that.

Love to you and your family.

MSS,

I write to admit two things- one that your comment that we are living up to our reputation as a mad load of batsitters is a badge of honour, thank you!

And two, that I cannot yet read your story all the way through, page keeps going out of focus.

Stay strong, this is one of your bountiful sister's legacies. A set of wild and wonderful friendships old in hours, young in light years. Born of not sailing togther and not having to smell each other's wee on three-day old foulies and mid-layrs (clothing).

Catherine:

Bob, out of the darkness comes light......congrats to your family as a new family member enters your lives.

Fair winds MSG

When I need a Star to guide me and one shines through, Catherine I will think of you.

tr

This thread is incredible, really.

I check it a few times a day.

Amazing stuff...and a lot of love.

I know it sounds a little odd or out of place right now, given the loss of our friend, but it's quite uplifting actually.

I know it sounds a little odd or out of place right now, given the loss of our friend, but it's quite uplifting actually.

Not at all odd or out of place. We are a community, like all others but for the fact that we connect through the Internet rather than face-to-face. Like all good communities, we celebrate and mourn with each others' good news and losses. We did lose one of our own, and we mourn together. And mourning in a constructive way is uplifting. We remember the life of our friend, we reminisce about the good times we shared, we comfort her family and ourselves, and we remember that life and our community are precious.

I can't attend the memorial service due to family obligations, but will be there in spirit.

Not at all odd or out of place. We are a community, like all others but for the fact that we connect through the Internet rather than face-to-face. Like all good communities, we celebrate and mourn with each others' good news and losses. We did lose one of our own, and we mourn together. And mourning in a constructive way is uplifting. We remember the life of our friend, we reminisce about the good times we shared, we comfort her family and ourselves, and we remember that life and our community are precious.

I can't attend the memorial service due to family obligations, but will be there in spirit.

So true Tw-M...I'm just pleasantly surprised by the groundswell of support from the SA masses/regulars/missing old-timers.

Well said.

Uplifting does not even begin to describe it.

sheesh...uplifting...just don't make me come down...

I read MSG's posts from 5-6 years ago when she was 'welcomed' here, which she received in style. So having only encountered Catherine in these pages, but seeing it again and again over the years, I will miss her. I'm sorry for her family's loss.

In my own life, cancer is affecting my father and 2 close friends. I went to a memorial service last week. I was born in 1969 too. People coming together here helps me, so thank you to Catherine, her family, and all of you. Fair winds and following seas Catherine.

Fair winds and Godspeed Catherine

Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

-Dr. Seuss

Catherine I didn't know you but loved your posts. Fair winds and following seas on your new journey and I would express your life as:

1969-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------2012

You lived large and shared lots of joy, one - does note come close to the life you had.

Actually very lifting on my first day of Radiation. I never meet Catherine but I'm shore she is cheeking this blog daily.mainsheetsister hello Newbie, welcome home bat crazy :rolleyes:

Actually very lifting on my first day of Radiation. I never meet Catherine but I'm shore she is cheeking this blog daily.mainsheetsister hello Newbie, welcome home bat crazy :rolleyes:

Welcome to one of the worlds least desireable clubs Mario. Keep us informed, we're here to help.

Mario, so many of us met in the thread "Sailing Anarchists Affected by Cancer" where Catherine was a stalwart contributor before and during her own trials with cancer. Uplifting she was. Somehow she always knew what to say.

Wishing you and your support team strength, courage and success and know we're never more than a post away.

Mario, so many of us met in the thread "Sailing Anarchists Affected by Cancer" where Catherine was a stalwart contributor before and during her own trials with cancer. Uplifting she was. Somehow she always knew what to say.

Wishing you and your support team strength, courage and success and know we're never more than a post away.

+! we our heare foure you Mario!! :)

To Catherines family..

Our condolences for your loss, we're thinking of you as well as Catherine. Your girl was pretty special to touch so many people I think, even those of us who never met her. Her character shone through her words, we'll miss her.

Look after Catherine for us St P, or you'll have a lot of pissed off customers over the next 30-50 years.

MSG, we duct taped a sharpie to the mast on Sun night so you can spot us when it fancies you. When you get a tick mate, drop in and say g'day.

SB

At this point about all I can do is offer a favorite quote;

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual being having a human experience" Teilhard de Chardin

Catherine had an exceptional one.....

Cheers, Winever.

I knew her not, but like many here admire her life. A small change to Kipling seems to fit...

Oh! hush thee, my sailor, the night is behind us,

And black are the waters that sparkled so green.

The storm shall not wake thee, nor shark overtake thee,

Asleep in the arms of the slow-swinging seas!

Fair winds MSG. I can only hope to live a life with as much integrity and soul as yours.

I got up this morning to bright sun and blue sky. Thought to myself, "What a lovely day." I now know why the day is so lovely. It is the day Catherine made for us as she passed from our world. She always knew how to make the world seem bright and sunny even when it was less than so. May God bless you little girl. Now who will I offer lollipops to?

Like many of you, I had "known" Catherine for quite a long while here on SA. She sent me a PM a while back saying she would be swinging through NYC on the way up to Voorheesville after escaping Texas by way of Florida. We met up for cocktails at some bar I had never been to and will probably never visit again. An SA'er named Jonathan, some Flying Dutchman nut job from MA. and her friend Dan were the only ones who attended. At the time I thought what has become of SA when someone like Catherine passes through town and invites what must have been a dozen or more of us to drop by for a drink and some chat....and two of us show to say hello to her. I am glad I set aside the time to meet her in person and in retrospect I am glad it was a small gathering as it gave me a chance to sit with her for hours on end, gaze into her eyes and just talk about anything and everything we wanted to talk about.

To Catherine's family I offer you my deepest sympathies. Yes Catherine was a free spirit and perhaps you folks even thought she was the black sheep every family has. Perhaps so. But she was a lovely person. One who has touched more lives in a positive way than any of us could hope to. Please know that we are with you in feeling the pain of such a loss at her prime of life. The tears we cry today are for Catherine.

We love you Catherine. Thanks for being our friend.

One last song for you little girl.

Holes in what's left of my reason, holes in the knees of my blues...

Thanks for this tune. 7/2/85 was about a week after I took Catherine to her first Dead show. Saratoga, New York. She was 15, I was 19. What the hell was I thinking? But it sure was fun!

.......... She was 15, I was 19. What the hell was I thinking? But it sure was fun!

:blink: :blink: :blink:

...'splains how she became th'Catherine -we- know :rolleyes::lol:

I got up this morning to bright sun and blue sky. Thought to myself, "What a lovely day." I now know why the day is so lovely. It is the day Catherine made for us as she passed from our world. She always knew how to make the world seem bright and sunny even when it was less than so. May God bless you little girl. Now who will I offer lollipops to?

Like many of you, I had "known" Catherine for quite a long while here on SA. She sent me a PM a while back saying she would be swinging through NYC on the way up to Voorheesville after escaping Texas by way of Florida. We met up for cocktails at some bar I had never been to and will probably never visit again. An SA'er named Jonathan, some Flying Dutchman nut job from MA. and her friend Dan were the only ones who attended. At the time I thought what has become of SA when someone like Catherine passes through town and invites what must have been a dozen or more of us to drop by for a drink and some chat....and two of us show to say hello to her. I am glad I set aside the time to meet her in person and in retrospect I am glad it was a small gathering as it gave me a chance to sit with her for hours on end, gaze into her eyes and just talk about anything and everything we wanted to talk about.

To Catherine's family I offer you my deepest sympathies. Yes Catherine was a free spirit and perhaps you folks even thought she was the black sheep every family has. Perhaps so. But she was a lovely person. One who has touched more lives in a positive way than any of us could hope to. Please know that we are with you in feeling the pain of such a loss at her prime of life. The tears we cry today are for Catherine.

We love you Catherine. Thanks for being our friend.

One last song for you little girl.

Holes in what's left of my reason, holes in the knees of my blues...

Thanks for this tune. 7/2/85 was about a week after I took Catherine to her first Dead show. Saratoga, New York. She was 15, I was 19. What the hell was I thinking? But it sure was fun!

Here's the show in case you don't already have it.

http://archive.org/details/gd85-06-27.sbd.clugston.6104.sbeok.shnf

My condolences to you and your family.

.......... She was 15, I was 19. What the hell was I thinking? But it sure was fun!

:blink: :blink: :blink:

...'splains how she became th'Catherine -we- know :rolleyes::lol:

Yeah, she said many times that I saved her by taking her to that show with me.

I had already gone to off college, and she was headed down a dark and dangerous path as a young teenager...not the one that I took her on was any less, um, dangerous...

thanks so much...that's freakin' awesome...it's got bobby bitching out the guy hanging off the balcony and everything! i have the show on cassette from some taper...

My most sincere condolences to MSS and all of her family and friends of MSG, both here on SA and those that knew her personally.

Been at a bit lost for words since I heard about MSG's passing.

As I said in another thread, I've only known Catherine through SA and have been amazed by the positive energy from everyone here through her battle and now the outpouring of grief upon her passing. It is so sad to see someone so young and admired being taken from this mortal world. You will live on though Catherine with your spirit here on SA.

Being on the other side of the world in my own Albany, I'll be there in spirit on Sunday morning my time at Catherine's memorial. Just wondering if there may be any plans to cover the memorial for those unable to get to it?

From the mythical front page of SA, for those who may have missed it, tomorrow's the day:

A gathering of family and friends will be held on Saturday, April 14, 2012, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the American Legion Post 1493, at 31 Voorheesville Avenue, Voorheesville, New York. All are invited to join us to celebrate Catherine’s brief but remarkable life.

And also:

As an avid reader and writer, it would have given great joy to Catherine to know that anyone who wishes honor her love of the written word would please give to the Voorheesville Public Library at 51 School Street, Voorheesville, New York, 12186.

As a thrill-seeking sailor, Catherine also found pleasure in sharing the joy of the wind and water with others, and anyone who wishes to honor her spirit of adventure would please give to the Spike Perry Memorial Scholarship Fund.org. The fund will provide scholarship money for deserving students from the Perry's hometown waters to learn more about sailing, seamanship and the region's rich maritime traditions.

I won't miss Catherine. She will be with me.

Every day, all day. Gave me some of the biggest grins I've had.

You are special Catherine. You always will be.

Sorry to hear and you are in our thoughts from here in Milwaukee. I was so impressed that she sent a thank you note for our small donation to her cause. That speaks volumes for her character. I know she will be missed, but what a quality person.

cheri

I stuck a single sunflower that I sprouted inside to test last year's seeds in the ground today. I called it 'The Catherine'. Hope to see a couple of you guys tomorrow.

Won't be attending but C will be in my thoughts tomorrow.

Hope there is some passable local wine and Cabot cheese to soothe the assembled and help C on the next leg of the voyage.

Sail on girl.

I'm taking out a sharpy tomorrow and writing on my transom, "Spirit of MSG" as I will always think of her when sailing. A little christening may be involved as well with libations.

It will remain there as long as I own the boat.

We miss you MSG and will never forget you.

Trim looks good, tail tales are flying straight, rest easy.

Only the good die young. To mainsheetsister, Dan and all of MSG's family and friends my deepest sympathy.

God speed Catherine.

I could not attend yesterday but I was there in spirit as I worked in my yard planting flowers for Catherine's garden.

She was a wonderful spirit who will live with us always. I think she would be blown away if she knew the extent to which her life affected all of us. It has greatly expanded my horizons with the meeting of new friends, the sharing of comfort from people I've never met, and the pure joy of living. Thank you Catherine... When I got the word I felt as though a huge hole had erupted in my heart. After a few days I realized that it wasn't truly a hole, it was a bit of her spirit coming to reside in me. She will always live as long as we remember what a remarkable person she was. Love you baby girl....

And to all of you SAer's on here... the deck of my boat is always looking for crew! Give me a holler if you're in Miami and we'll lift a few and round some marks :-)

Many thanks for all of you who were with us yesterday. I know many were there in heart and mind.

Catherine did not want a service in a cheesy funeral home, as quoted from her will. So, yesterday was not for her, but it was for us instead.

For me, it was as if my worlds collided...

cousins grown now with children of their own

poets

parents of long-forgotten and now unrecognizable childhood friends

curious locals

my very first best friend who moved in next-door when I was 4 years old

my own sweet husband and our three children

huge beautiful fragrant flowers

the priest who married my husband and I almost 24 years ago

my jar of homemade stumphole water

my high school architecture teacher

the spiritual-not-religious chaplain from hospice who gave me the idea for The Two Sisters story when she mentioned guided imagery

total strangers

the doctors that my sister worked for these past two years at her First Real Job

old colleagues of dad's

long-lost high school friends of mine and my sister's

the big yellow Sailing Anarchy banner strung between the windows on the outside of her second-floor apartment across the street from where we were

but best of all were

elle

Carina

Kevin

Chris

B.J.

Thank you with all of my heart and soul for being with me. It would have been unbearable without you.

Don't worry, folks, there are pictures. Just be patient. You won't be disappointed.

Love to all,

Chris the mainsheetsister

I stuck a single sunflower that I sprouted inside to test last year's seeds in the ground today. I called it 'The Catherine'. Hope to see a couple of you guys tomorrow.

Did Catherine like sunflowers? If so, I can plant a bunch out by where I mowed 'MSG' last year and post a pic later this summer.

They'll have to grow in between existing hops plants, if that's OK.

MSG -

6128649298_ede4d28c08_b.jpg

Did Catherine like sunflowers? If so, I can plant a bunch out by where I mowed 'MSG' last year and post a pic later this summer.

MSG -

Any flowers growing between hops would be loved...hops plants are, after all, proof that beer used to be a vegetable.

And vegetables are good for you, right?

Guest One of Five

MSG -

6128649298_ede4d28c08_b.jpg

ummm you grow hops......?