• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
mainsheetsister

Our Beloved mainsheetgirl

A great thread revived.

MSS, some of your posts have been great (career change, life, MSG thoughts) so its been fun having you here, and hope you continue to be strong.

Does make me wonder if life is only meant to be '3 score +10' though.

Is there a grander plan?

I was raised to beleive so and if you look at most religions they beleive there is something behind what brane calls only flesh.

Left that beleif regime behind many moons ago, but often makes me wonder.

I have an absolute belief in god. It's a belief that's been growing for years. It's also why I project so little value to this life.

Sooooo, how about a bit of an MSG memorial celebration during the Volvo Ocean Race events this May in Newport?

I believe she attended the VOR stop when the fleet hit Boston a few years ago and Newport is comfortably close to the site of her legendary Providence Boat Show shenanigans.

Any takers?

Sooooo, how about a bit of an MSG memorial celebration during the Volvo Ocean Race events this May in Newport?

I believe she attended the VOR stop when the fleet hit Boston a few years ago and Newport is comfortably close to the site of her legendary Providence Boat Show shenanigans.

Any takers?

Can't do May, but don't let that stop the festivities if folks want to be together.

I'm hoping to come up that way in June when the Porter family visits from the other side of the world.

B.J. and I met on the day that she died when he came to the hospital to visit.

By that time, she was gorked up on haldol and wasn't conscious.

He and I sat on opposite sides of her bed, and I told her that her friend was here and we were going to chat.

He told me all about the family's plans to go cruising to New Zealand.

I think we talked for two or three hours that afternoon.

She died just after 8 that evening.

Bittersweet memories...

Any takers?

Can't do May, but don't let that stop the festivities if folks want to be together.

I'm hoping to come up that way in June when the Porter family visits from the other side of the world.

B.J. and I met on the day that she died when he came to the hospital to visit.

By that time, she was gorked up on haldol and wasn't conscious.

He and I sat on opposite sides of her bed, and I told her that her friend was here and we were going to chat.

He told me all about the family's plans to go cruising to New Zealand.

I think we talked for two or three hours that afternoon.

She died just after 8 that evening.

Bittersweet memories...

Dammit I got something in my eye.

This needs to be pinned so we don't lose it.

Miss you girl.

Miss you girl.

Yups----but thank Gawd we still have her sister!.....

Miss you girl.

Yups----but thank Gawd we still have her sister!.....

Thanks, Boothie.

I appreciate that.

Make it nice. Make it count. Remember to smile, it makes the world a better place.

Coolest philosophy..... ever.

Thank you MainSheetGirl ! Happy Birthday, miss ya dearly !

Stolen from Dragon Ocean Racing.

you are alone on deck. It is cool, but not cold, and spray comes through the air from your passage through the waves. You are dressed in sea boots, foul weather bibs over a pair of long underwear, and a light spray top. Your co-skipper is asleep below, nested in the bean bag that passes for a bed on Dragon.

It is late. Or early depending on how you think about these things. The rest of the hemisphere is sleeping. You are sitting on the right side of the boat, starboard, with one hand on the tiller. You take side glances across the cockpit at the black numbers on red background that feed you the data that helps keep you aiming the correct direction. Your eyes flicker from there to the front of the boat and then back again in a ceaseless cycle, consuming the information you need.

Low small cumulous clouds scud across the sky, blown by the 20 knots of wind you are seeing on the water. If it were day light, they would be dirty grey, but the moon over your right shoulder bathes them and everything else in a white glow that purifies as it illuminates.

That same moon lights up the sail you have up at the front of the boat, meter upon square meter of white nylon. It is a spinnaker, the largest of your sails and used when the wind is coming from behind you and you are running with in, hurrying in the same direction, headed towards Europe. Its front edge is loose, and large red chevrons up and down that leading can be seen by the moon's glow and tell you if the sail is being filled by the wind.

Your hand on the tiller transmits every twitch of the boat. The sea is moving in the same direction of the wind, and has built into 6 foot swells that try lift Dragon's stern, skewing the boat one way or the other. Your hand moves the tiller back and forth in small, precise increments to counteract the sea's grab.

Out of the corner of your right eye, you see and hear a wave building behind you. The palm of your left hand pushes the tiller away from you, swinging the boat's nose to the right. The wind catches the sails and the boat speeds up, matching and then exceeding the speed of the wave moving towards you just as it passes under your stern. You then pull the tiller back towards you, the pressure on the inside of your fingers telling you that the wave does not want to let go. The nose of the boat swings back too the left, dips down, and boat speed builds as the boat starts to slide down the wave.

Your numbers start to flicker upwards. 12 knots of boat speed becomes 13, becomes 14, becomes 15. You watch the forward edge of the spinnaker closely and as the speed of the boat increases you can see those chevrons fold over on its self as you start to run over your sail. A quick, sharp yank of the tiller slides the boat to the left and refills the sail. Too much, however, and you slow the boat down and let the wave get past you so you make the movements small and quick as soon as you see the edge fold, and then you gently push the tiller away from you to regain your angle on the wave. Fold, pull, push, fold, pull, push, fold...and on and on.

As your speed increases, sheets of spray shoot up from the sides of the boat a dozen feet off the water. The sound of your boat cleaving the water builds to a locomotive, the loud and sharp and amplified sound of paper being ripped. It fills your ears then takes over your entire body, the sound track to exhilaration and adrenaline.

Done right, this goes on for minutes as you surf the wave and even jump from one wave to the next. And then, inevitably, it is over. The wave gets past you, lifts your bow as it passes under it and rolls regrettably past your reach. You bid it a wistful goodbye, and then start to listen for your next wave to ride through the night.

Thoughts of MSG in my mind.

Looking back through my old PMs here and saw that it was the late Evo who first told me of Catherine's passing. I am thinking what a fine time those two will be having where ever they are now.

Considering all the millennia in the history of mankind on this little blue space-ball hurtling headlong towards God knows what form of oblivion, how fortunate are we that our lives coincided with that of Catherine? Always fondly remembered. The tears have passed, nowadays, thinking of her only makes me smile.

Last I saw MSG she was going Swimming in Frisco :)B)

July 7, 2016

Happy-Would-Have-Been-Your 47th-Birthday, Catherine

You're still a pain in the ass, and I still desperately miss you.

My thouhts our withe bothe you todaye.

:)

I'm guessing it would have been a hell of a party too. Hugs...

Last I saw her she was goin swimmin in Frisco Bay after a Long weekend without a cigarette B)

On 7/6/2016 at 11:22 PM, hobot said:

Sure miss the balance that she brought to the tribe.

Hard to believe she's gone.... it really seems like yesterday.

Happy Birthday MSG

-DSK

We just moved into our Floriduh home. During the move, I happen upon a card shoved in a unused drawer. There was a very nice watercolor on the front; inside, was a note from the past: a thank you from MSG. She handwrote the note thanking Boothie, myself, and a cast of tens who interrupted their eating, drinking, and carousing to put a few bucks in a pretzel tub for MSG.

Her spirit, love of life,courage and humanness shone through.  And shine now, years later. 

Thank you, MSG, for being a bright candle in this world. One that unfortunately was extinguished too soon. 

We miss you, Love.

Go The Catherine!

3 hours ago, genealex said:

Hope it will be a day of good memories.

You know what I remember most about her birthdays?

Every year, I would call her on July 7 to wish her a happy day and to chat.  

Every year, she would say, "I'll call you for your birthday in two days" since mine is July 9.

In typical Catherine fashion, she'd blow it off.

She wasn't exactly known for being reliable.

Just part of the charm...

On 7/8/2017 at 9:55 AM, mainsheetsister said:

Every year, she would say, "I'll call you for your birthday in two days" since mine is July 9.

In typical Catherine fashion, she'd blow it off.

She wasn't exactly known for being reliable.

Just part of the charm...

MSS;

To honor MSG, I'm wishing you a Happy Birthday one day late.  ;)