• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Great Red Shark

The Megabyte thread

118 posts in this topic

Out of curiosity, has anyone here installed a cleat on the side of their mast to hook the halyard to? I have always bunched mine up and velcrowed it to the mast but that leaves it slack so it moves alot in the wind and bugs me. I just do not know about putting extra holes in the mast.....

I tie a couple of bungees around the mast. Coil the halyard, slip the coil under the two bungees and you're done.

If I wanted to affix something to the mast, I'd just glue it on with some G-flex - NOT make a hole in the spar, but I've found that halyard tail can be easily-enough stowed in the packet of the sail, with some tension provided by hooking it into the outhaul-blocks mount on the forward end of the boom, as illustrated in the rigging diagram

the two bungees sound like a good idea. But I might still glue a cleat on. then coil the rest and do the bungee thing. I do not like putting it in the sail pocket, don't ask why....

On another note, this weekend was the first time back in the boat since November. Since then I had been thinking I might want to swap into a RS Aero next year, but after this weekend that idea is gone. I honestly cannot think of another boat I would enjoy more than my megabyte!!! Yesterday the wind was probably around 12 knots but with 18knot gusts hitting every couple of minutes and lasting for under a minute. they were strong to force like a 35% shift upwind to avoid a swim, or of course I could have let out the sail, but what fun would that have been. I will say, my legs felt like jello after less than 2 hours of constant going from side of the boat to hiking position when the gusts would hit!!!! To make matters more fun I goofed on the routing of the downhaul and could not pull it in as much as I would have liked.....

This was yesterday, while just leaving the dock before getting to the windy areas!

post-81148-0-92791200-1461627784_thumb.jpg

Yeah - downhaul makes a BIG difference in the breeze - and you REALY should check out a Mark 2 sail if you haven't yet - BIG improvement, especially in the breeze

my lake is normally an 8 to 10 knot at best lake. Yesterday was not normal, fun but not normal. I like my mkI setup and do not really want to spend over 3000 to upgrade......

I could have parked and fixed the downhaul, but I was having too much fun!!!

I understand entirely - I probably wouldn't have gone for the upgrade either, but I had to replace the mast ( bought the boat used, with broken rig ), now - having sailed the two sail back-to-back....well - the upgrade IS in fact, an upgrade.

Don't know how well it works on the Mk 1 mast, but should still be better than the 'soft' sail, fwiw.

And yeah - the fun factor of the Mega in 12-15 is massive. My face gets tired from the grin.

even at 8 knots the grin is permanent. I have had many boats like it before, and I love first that it handles my weight, second, it is very predictable. My Laser would go from full flat lad di duh to Oh Shi## in the blink of an eye, the Mega gives some warning and middleground. Plus the cockpit actually fits two people. The only other boat I had which worked this well was the Banshee, but it was underpowered for my lake.

How is this fleet doing now? When I sold mine I think they were transitioning over to a new builder? It's a really nice design and would be a lot of fun in a fleet racing situation, but the largest fleet I was ever able to sail in was three boats.

RD

Don't ask me, the only other one I know of is on Maui, and I'm not sailing mine up there to race him !

That said, the class does keep messaging me about events, and it sounds like they've had a class championship the past few years up in New England somewhere - but that likely won't help you too much, sorry to say.

Have a spare Megabyte centerboard and a mainsail made by Neil Pride. It is a Dacron "training sail" which is great in heavy air or for lighter crew weight. Both very lightly used. PM if interested.

Centerboard $250.

Mainsail $350

Plus shipping.

Why Thanks man - I'll be in touch. Have an extra heavy-air rig & sail that I've been toying with, but can always use another sail...Still enjoying the boat greatly. Every time I sail it somebody asks me what it is - despite the large MEGABYTE stickers...

Hi, Megabyte sailors: While you have the dates and other essential info for the Megabyte Midwest Regional Regatta (May 5-7, Lake of the Ozarks, MO), here's a link to the NOR (which you may have already received via email) - posted on behalf of the Class President, Jim Crabtree. Copy of NOR also attached.

It's not too late to register for this event. It's jointly sponsored by Lake Ozark Yacht Club, Capital City Sailing Association, Ozark Sailing Club, and Zim Sailing. The winds should be good, the location is excellent. There's good accommodation nearby. The clinic on May 5 should be helpful to all. Action video will be captured for YouTube. Join the action!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4ipQQPjMsdNWkRoaWhxY2xnU3c/view?us...

Posted by Leszek Vincent, Capital City Sailing Association (Vice Commodore)

Megabyte Midwest Regional Regatta final ver_compressed.pdf

I just got back from a couple of hours of sailing. It was a blast. I actually took my wife out with me and since I am already a heavy guy I was shocked that it does soo well with even two in the boat! I also finally figured out how to get my top batton to pop which was not wanting to go. I finally figured if I release the dounhaul it pops easy then pull in the downhaul immediatly after