• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POH

TRAGEDY AVOIDED! How it should be done.

Read this story this morning over coffee & thought I'd share with the community. My Sailing: Report on textbook rescue of six crew after yacht sinks

Great result and kudos to Grant Dunoon, his crew & the rescue teams.

(You may want to skip down to the paragraph above "The Search" if you are rushed).

http://whyknotsailing.blogspot.com.au/

Great story, thanks for posting.

TryBooking deserves all the praise for a job well done, as does the crew of Inception, especially the skipper.

Good attitude making sure all his crew were safe and stayed together, swimming off when one got detached was a big call.

Kudos to all.

Only hope we would do as well if we were in the same situation.

Thats it Im up dating my off shore kit! Time for a inflatable Pfd with a harness built in, Straight blade line cutter knife, a VHF water tight radio with Personal locator and always a portable GPS in the seabag.

Well done.

Nice to read one with a happy ending.

Also nice to see that the crew, with what is described as not a great deal of experience, kept their heads and made good decisions and figured it out. Far too many stories of people who fail in the face of even the slightest adversity.

Recent events have definitely made me think more about safety as well.

I was fortunate to crew on a very good boat here in Sydney 2008-2010 - in hindsight I'm very grateful (even though we never needed it) that the skipper had us practice safety on non-race days and took his responsibility so seriously.

Dolphin,

No, they were on the phone before the boat went down.

Interestingly when they jumped over the side, they took a "waterproof" VHF with them, but it became waterlogged almost immediately. One of our notes from the incident is that we are going to be giving our VHF a good dunking to test it out, and if it isn't waterproof, take it back to the manufacturer.

Regards,

Paul

Think there's a samsung that some paddlers recommend, and verizon advertised one, maybe the same, supposed to work after immersion.

I own a Samsung Rugby II. It has been wet and underwater in a pocket. It worked just fine right away while still wet.

Great report btw! thanks for the post.

WOW, I am tired just trying to imagine getting those people on board.

+1

A lot of luck and some inspired (and inspiring) seamanship. Wow is right.

Great story, well done!

I agree that this is heroic seamanship, we need more sailors like this skipper & crew.

Recent events have definitely made me think more about safety as well.

I was fortunate to crew on a very good boat here in Sydney 2008-2010 - in hindsight I'm very grateful (even though we never needed it) that the skipper had us practice safety on non-race days and took his responsibility so seriously.

Excellent! Too many people think that "safety" is something you put on your MasterCharge and occasionally talk about. Glad to hear of PRACTICE being done even though it might take away a bit of time from studying racing.

FB- Doug

Agreed that it would be a good idea to have an MOB drill each time you go out to race. Chances are, you might have new people on board that have not been made aware of the procedure especially as each boat is different.

Sail safe!