thetruth

AC Youth Cup

Those bastards from McDonalds better not get their dirty fat fingers on our sailing youth!

Not actually my point, which was that the Moët et Chandon and Red Bull don't entirely fit together as products of sponsors in the same event. BT made the same point about Louis Vuitton and exclusivity some time ago.

RB announcement comes thursday.

So we have the brand values of Louis Vuitton. And now, apparently, Red Bull. What next? Ronald MacDonald? The America's Cup, sponsored by Walmart?

What half-wit has come up with this combination?

Typically british attitude to commercial developments, isn't it, old boy? Heaven forbid the commoners might get their dirty little fingers involved in sailboat racing.

We should be so lucky to have Wal-Mart or McDonald's in the Cup. We might actually get someone to pay attention that way...

maybe some British ancestry is involved (there is, fucking Brits crossing the channel to do some more fucking :D ) but also here there is a bit of a feeling that the AC is being repositioned from the higher end of the game to the mass commodity end, me thinks poor old George Schuyler must be gyrating like mad in his coffin, the hoi polloi taking hold of the holy grail of sailing :D

I have a feeling that you have lost the plot! What is being discussed here is at least two steps removed from anything to do with GS.

Just as the ACWS has no 'real' AC standing nor does the Youth Series under discussion. Three separate series or events with, for the most part, different competitors and different sponsors. AC and ACWS use different boats, we'll have to wait and see about the ACYS (or is it ACYC now? i.e. NOT a series - just an event?)

^

Yes hopefully so but does anyone really think it'll be in AC45s with wing sails?

Yes.

Those bastards from McDonalds better not get their dirty fat fingers on our sailing youth!

Not actually my point, which was that the Moët et Chandon and Red Bull don't entirely fit together as products of sponsors in the same event. BT made the same point about Louis Vuitton and exclusivity some time ago.

Sponsors that want exclusivity have done a lot of injury to the sport, at least here IMO. Their goals often conflict squarely with anyone that wants more asses on more boats.

I have a feeling that you have lost the plot! What is being discussed here is at least two steps removed from anything to do with GS.

Just as the ACWS has no 'real' AC standing nor does the Youth Series under discussion. Three separate series or events with, for the most part, different competitors and different sponsors. AC and ACWS use different boats, we'll have to wait and see about the ACYS (or is it ACYC now? i.e. NOT a series - just an event?)

never claimed having "the plot" in first place ;) but I find it quite interesting to see that one moment we are supposed to keep the youth series and/or the AC45 series as something separate from the AC72, and the next moment not .... as far as I'm concerned, from the moment they stick the name AC to it, it is AC, point final.

Sponsors that want exclusivity have done a lot of injury to the sport, at least here IMO.

For example? Btw by "exclusivity" I meant something like social/economic exclusivity i.e. what Louis Vuitton sells - not being an "sole sponsor".

Sponsors that want exclusivity have done a lot of injury to the sport, at least here IMO.

For example? Btw by "exclusivity" I meant something like social/economic exclusivity i.e. what Louis Vuitton sells - not being an "sole sponsor".

You should very well know that the PR and public outreach coming from major events is dictated by those that pay their big bills - in other words, title sponsors. In fact, in many cases the title sponsors are quite insistent on controlling the message that goes out so that it fits with what they are trying to sell, or in some cases, even sending their own PR and publicists down to do it themselves.

This changes the typical events top PR goals from growing the event and reaching as many people as possible to reaching only the potential customers for the title sponsor. Instead of wide-appeal videos and stories, you get understated and sanitized copy and dull multimedia content. Instead of continually growing, you get stagnant. Welcome to the last decade of sailing in the US. Where we had Pepsi and American Airlines, now we have Rolex and Lexus and Louis Vuitton.

Not that they don't have their place, but we should strive for the big guns as title sponsors, their range is far greater. Red Bull's PR will reach more people in a month than Louis Vuitton's in a decade. It works for both, and both's money is green, but only one is good for the future of sailing.

Hee hee. Running on front page in a few.

AC breaking

wings: you know, for kids

Anyone who was lucky or sneaky enough to grab a peek at the old GreenComm boat hidden away in a shed in Venice this week likely saw a glimpse of the familiar blue, silver and red logo of Red Bull, and we’ve been digging for the rest of the story for almost two weeks now. We’ve finally gotten most of it, just a day ahead of a big announcement in San Francisco, despite the new deal being the most tightly kept secret in the usually leak-ridden world of the AC. So here it is:

Thursday, America’s Cup organizers will announce a comprehensive partnership with Red Bull for the creation of a new Youth America’s Cup event, or series of events, in AC45s. The rumor mill (mostly thanks to Pierre at VSail and a few Anarchist riggers onsite) has at least two AC45s already purchased (or long-term leased) by the energy drink maker, and one of them – the GreenComm boat – is already covered with what we’re told are some damned sexy graphics in Venezia. Rumor is that their purchase or lease will include not only the two boats – we assume the second being Aleph’s old ride, but probably the rumored-to-soon-be-defunct China Team, as well as several of Oracle’s 45s.

Until the end of next year’s ACWS, we’re guessing that the two heavily-branded Red Bull 45s will be used to train up ‘youth AC sailors’ whatever that means; probably 25 and under, or given the fact that the existing fleet already has quite a few youngsters in it, 20 and under. They’ll also probably enter a few AC45 events once they’ve proven themselves, and once the sideshow that is the ACWS has ended and the 72s are in full training and race mode, a fully branded Red Bull fleet will begin formal Red Bull Youth America’s Cup racing.

We emphasize that this last bit is a lot of speculation, but its based on sound intel and makes a ton of sense for both the AC and the drink peddler. First and most obviously, has there ever been a better platform for a product with the slogan “It gives you wings!”? Second, Red Bull has a history of sponsoring things that can be near-death experiences for young people. Third, Red Bull has been sponsoring an Extreme 40 for a couple of years now, and according to the reps we met in Boston last year, they love it. Fourth, they saved a lot of US marketing dollars when they dropped out of NASCAR earlier this year. Gotta spend it on something. Fifth, Coutts has been very quiet about the “Youth AC” talk that was so prevalent when he was trying to win support for the San Francisco plan. When things go deathly silent that’s not generally a sign that a concept is dead: Usually, it means someone is doing serious negotiation. And finally, despite their shortcomings, Larry genuinely wants to bring sailing to an entirely new group of younger people. Short of hiring an NBA team race an AC45, there’s probably no better way to reach a giant group of active kids than to bring in the Red Bull circus.

Check the AC Youth Cup thread to get up to speed on the wheres and whens, and stay tuned to this page for more breaking news on Thursday morning from San Francisco.

If the story title goes over your head,

, with props to Tim Robbins for one of his greatest roles.

Screen shot 2012-05-16 at 12.41.34 AM.png

Clean. Get me on the team and I'll give you all the inside media you want.

Also, Re: McDonalds sponsorship the GS43 Antelope which sailed in all of the Carib events this winter is sponsored by McDonalds.

when do we start the death pool for all this? i mean seriously people are going to die sailing these boats coutts already went through a wing and a couple of inches either way and he's dead. if coutts can crash that spectacular what kind of carnage are we going to see with these kids running these boats? how about a death pool app?

Do you really think Coutts was "inches from death"? Maybe inches from having some carbon splinters.

Even if it is that dangerous, it doesn't seem to stop the motocross kids. Or skateboard kids. Or the snowboarders, mountain climbers, downhill skiiers, paragliders, mountain bikers, cart racers, cliff divers...

Clean. Get me on the team and I'll give you all the inside media you want.

If only I had that kind of pull!

Regardless, if you are not out training on F-18s, moths, skiffs, and whatever five days a week and hitting the gym four, you don't want it bad enough. There is going to be a loooong list, and those guys are doing just that.

when do we start the death pool for all this? i mean seriously people are going to die sailing these boats coutts already went through a wing and a couple of inches either way and he's dead. if coutts can crash that spectacular what kind of carnage are we going to see with these kids running these boats? how about a death pool app?

You can't be serious.

Talking too much with TC or what ?

Do you really think Coutts was "inches from death"? Maybe inches from having some carbon splinters.

Even if it is that dangerous, it doesn't seem to stop the motocross kids. Or skateboard kids. Or the snowboarders, mountain climbers, downhill skiiers, paragliders, mountain bikers, cart racers, cliff divers...

yeah i do think Coutts was inches from death. a couple of inches either way, and he lands flat on the wing, maybe breaks his neck. death is frequently a good career move.

You can't be serious.

Talking too much with TC or what ?

yeah, why not start a death pool, lets even bet on it in vegas. the red bull sailing death pool live at the hard rock during the regatta that would draw some attention and probably sell alot of red bull vodka.

I'd give anything to be on one of those teams!... about time they did this. I look forward to watching this and hopefully it proves how capable youth sailors are on these things once they get up to speed.

yeah i do think Coutts was inches from death. a couple of inches either way, and he lands flat on the wing, maybe breaks his neck. death is frequently a good career move.

When's the last time you went sailing?

When's the last time you went sailing?

Does the VOR game count?

Hee hee. Running on front page in a few.

AC breaking

wings: you know, for kids

Fourth, they saved a lot of US marketing dollars when they dropped out of NASCAR earlier this year. Gotta spend it on something. Fifth, Coutts has been very quiet about the "Youth AC" talk that was so prevalent when he was trying to win support for the San Francisco plan.

First, RB had two NASCAR teams, so probably at least $20 mil per team, per year, so there's at least $40 mil available to invest in the program.

Second, Coutts being quiet and the rumor of him not 'running' the OR team and leaving things in JS's hands: maybe his role has been changed to take over some of RW's responsibilities, along with working on the ACWS and other revenue 'issues', since all has not developed as was hoped for with the original grand plan for 34. The Youth Series may have been placed on his plate to get done, including selling it to a series sponsor. RB makes sense, as they have had a pretty serious investment in sailing for quite a while.

Anyway, just a thought.

Sponsors that want exclusivity have done a lot of injury to the sport, at least here IMO. Their goals often conflict squarely with anyone that wants more asses on more boats.

How then exactly and specifically is this Red Bull sponsorship going to put more people in more boats? And specifically, where are all these new people in more boats supposed to happen? In what classes and at what events?

What part of the sponsorship by Red Bull is designed to accomplish all this? How will success be measured?

My read on this deal is simple - it is just another Red Bull stunt marketing event, designed for TV. Nothing wrong with that. They sell alot of product and make alot of money, so somebody likes this sugar water.

But seriously, this deal is no different than a Rolex deal, it is designed to sell their product, not promote the sport in any specific way that is going to generate more new sailors. ALL sponsorship deals are designed to sell more of the sponsors product. I have been involved with more than a few sponsorship deals in several different industries. Not one single deal was ever designed to do anything other than sell more of the sponsors product.

Red Bull will no doubt capture the attention of a people who might not have otherwise paid attention to sailing, but the sponsorship is designed to get people to drink more Red Bull and pay attention to them on TV and other forms of media where their brand association can be extended. Nothing wrong with that, but lets be clear about what this is all about, and what can really be accomplished.

I wish I could be involved in this, but there is no way Im anywhere close to being on that list.

Red Bull approaches things very, very differently than other sponsors. They're not beholden as much as publicly-owned companies to shareholders. One guy owns Red Bull, and if he thinks it's cool, and it fits with their overall strategy of promoting the brand, he lets his people run far and fast with it. On the event side they do hugely expensive things like their jump-off-a-building Flugtag spectacle and extreme soapbox derbys, to sponsoring some of the most popular and successful young athletes, Air Races in cities around the world -- hell, they've got a guy parachuting to the planet from outer-freakin'-space! There's not a lot of direct return on investment here, but a common theme of doing something large and well. This could be quite cool.

You should very well know that the PR and public outreach coming from major events is dictated by those that pay their big bills - in other words, title sponsors. In fact, in many cases the title sponsors are quite insistent on controlling the message that goes out so that it fits with what they are trying to sell, or in some cases, even sending their own PR and publicists down to do it themselves.

This changes the typical events top PR goals from growing the event and reaching as many people as possible to reaching only the potential customers for the title sponsor. Instead of wide-appeal videos and stories, you get understated and sanitized copy and dull multimedia content. Instead of continually growing, you get stagnant. Welcome to the last decade of sailing in the US. Where we had Pepsi and American Airlines, now we have Rolex and Lexus and Louis Vuitton.

Not that they don't have their place, but we should strive for the big guns as title sponsors, their range is far greater. Red Bull's PR will reach more people in a month than Louis Vuitton's in a decade. It works for both, and both's money is green, but only one is good for the future of sailing.

How about you create a plan where sponsors are supposed to focus on "growing the sport". Let's see your exact ideas about how all that is supposed to happen, who pays for it, who gets the benefit, how the results are measured. Get back to us after you've sold a couple of big sponsors on helping to "grow the sport" first.

If you just want more people paying attention to sailing so more people can read or watch what you do in the media, just say that too, nothing wrong with that.

But I am confused why you think one brand is better for the sport than another. If the only people who are sailing are those who drink Red Bull, all we will see sailing are kites, probably. Alot of owners of the boats you drool over happen to like buying and wearing Rolex watches or driving a Lexus.

You constantly make all this an either or proposition. Big yacht clubs are bad, open events are cool. Rolex and Lexus are bad sponsors for the sport, but Red Bull is cool. In fact, all of it matters, and all of it can be good. The sport needs all these sponsors that reach into all these different market segments.

By the way, I was involved with the first Lexus sponsorship, which was so long ago I can't even remember the year, it was either '89 or '90. They did an event in Newport, RI. Then they spent many years working with Hospice in the Annapolis area.

Last I remember of Pepsi, they supported DC in '87 and '88. American Airlines is bankrupt, in case you hadn't noticed.

RB has a one design (?) youth feeder class to MOTO 3, with even racing. Kids (16ish) get to race in front of the big teams at the big tracks-experience and exposure for RB and the youth racers. Win-win. Some of last years RB squad have moved up made some impressive results so far this year.

Look at it as GP2 is to F1 - a feeder series.

Incidentally, within F1, Red Bull runs both Red Bull Racing (the real prime time team) and Toro Rosso, which acts as a feeder for their junior drivers for RBR.

^

Haven't followed GP2 and F1 too closely recently, so I am really interested to know how many of the F1 drivers of this season came through GP2. Do you know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2_Series

Looks like Rosberg, Kovailianen, Hamilton, Glock, Senna, Grosjean, Hulkenberg, Petrov, Kobayashi, Maldonado, Perez of the current season drivers. Almost half the grid!

Believe that 5 or 6 of them were GP2 overall season champs immediately called up the next year.

I wonder if the RB AC45 to be displayed in Union Square SF tomorrow is the one from Venice (rumored to be ex GCR) or a different boat?

There is also an announcement coming tomorrow in Venice, perhaps we'll even see two, one in each city?

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/GP2_Series

Looks like Rosberg, Kovailianen, Hamilton, Glock, Senna, Grosjean, Hulkenberg, Petrov, Kobayashi, Maldonado, Perez of the current season drivers. Almost half the grid!

Believe that 5 or 6 of them were GP2 overall season champs immediately called up the next year.

Cool, and thanks for the Wiki link (rolleyes.gif = embarrassed smile).

I wonder if the RB AC45 to be displayed in Union Square SF tomorrow is the one from Venice (rumored to be ex GCR) or a different boat?

There is also an announcement coming tomorrow in Venice, perhaps we'll even see two, one in each city?

A

Would make a lot more sence to just drag one of the boats from the oracle fleet a couple of miles away than fly one from Italy . I guess they could have jimmy check it in as baggage as he's comming over anyway.

Agreed, it's more likely to be an OR SF boat in Union Square. Or even a 15 or 16 we have not yet seen.

And if the (exGCR) Red Bull boat still is in Venice, we could see the simultaneous unveiling.

JS will be attending via satellite feed from Venice.

World first, bitches. Props to Stacey Loula for the very nice phone pics - the real pics are coming soon. Copyright 2011 Sailing Anarchy, All rights reserved - don't even think about reposting unless you've got your checkbook ready and like to write big ones to us and Stacey!

Notice what the wing says: YOUTH 2013 America's Cup

RB2 - Stacey Loula - Sailing Anarchy - All Rights Reserved.jpg

RB1 - Stacey Loula - Sailing Anarchy - All Rights Reserved.jpg

World first, bitches. Props to Stacey Loula - the real pics are coming soon. Copyright 2011 Sailing Anarchy, All rights reserved - don't even think about reposting it unless you've got your checkbook ready and like to write big ones!

Notice the wing: YOUTH 2013 America's Cup

Rock on Stacey and Clean.

Clean wasn't the only one looking for pics, but he and Stacey nailed it.

From the Twitterverse:

VSail.info ‏@vsail

Anyone in Union Square in San Francisco to take a photo of the Red Bull AC45?

People here in Miami are all asking why I didn't sleep last night, I spent three hours making sure that SA had boots on the ground for today's action and tomorrow's announcement, and then I had to pack...snoooooze...

At Stu's office right now Paige - he sends you kisses.

Is his office still the same one that has the modeling agency in it? Enjoy the elevator rides!

Well done!

So does that say.......

YOUTH 2013

AMERICA's

CUP

or

2012YOUTH2013

AMERICA's

CUP

....?

EDIT: OK after further study I see it is the former - just 2013.

Sooo uhh, where do I sign up?

Bus Mosbacher is rolling over in his grave! GS? I dunno. He was enough of a visionary and innovator that he might just be high fiving.

Anyway, kudos to Wussell & Co for the turbo boost to sailing.

The big question is: who done the deal? Worth, Barclay or Coutts? Or did Red Bull walk in off the street?

^ Way back when there was a photo posted here of RC at a motorcar rally race of some kind in S America, wearing iirc a Red Bull Racing cap. It led to some speculation here, maybe the idea goes back a ways whether or not it was originally RC's.

Anyone else yet realize that GGYC has allowed the title of the America's Cup to be sold?

"Red Bull Youth America's Cup", could have just as easily been "Youth America's Cup presented by Red Bull".

So one would hope Russell drove a hard bargain and got alot of money.

It's just like the line...."now that we have determined what you are sweetheart, all we are talking about is the price".

It also means that Red Bull has pulled a huge coup - good for them, they saw weakness in Russell, and they exploited it. They knew he needed fast cash, so they made him give up title rights to the America's Cup in a brilliantly executed, and perfectly legal, marketing coup.

This will go down in the annals of sportsmarketing as one of the biggest and best moves ever by a company - to get their name in front of the oldest trophy in international sports.

Well done Red Bull.

^ Way back when there was a photo posted here of RC at a motorcar rally race of some kind in S America, wearing iirc a Red Bull Racing cap. It led to some speculation here, maybe the idea goes back a ways whether or not it was originally RC's.

There's been a long time relationship between Oracle (Air) Racing in the form of Sean Tucker and the Red Bull Air Racing events. Would imagine it would have been a pretty easy phone call/contact to make for someone from Oracle (boat) Racing.

Bus Mosbacher is rolling over in his grave! GS? I dunno. He was enough of a visionary and innovator that he might just be high fiving.

Anyway, kudos to Wussell & Co for the turbo boost to sailing.

The big question is: who done the deal? Worth, Barclay or Coutts? Or did Red Bull walk in off the street?

Could have been Rob Prazmark at 21 Marketing, who told me a couple of weeks ago he was now representing the whole event, which presumably means this.

Could also have been Casey Wasserman who negotiated on behalf of Red Bull.

^ Pleease ask them to get the hull numbers from the transom?

Just dropped by Union Square... Hull# 11

^ Bingo, that goes back too and has been I think even more broadly Oracle related before OR? Did Oracle Corp sponsor Tucker in RB Air events?

Regardless, one of the better videos of DZ off SD featured RB/Tucker flyby's, was a great look.

RedBull Magazine ran a couple features on the AC45 last year, and a short one earlier this week too.

^ Pleease ask them to get the hull numbers from the transom?

Just dropped by Union Square... Hull# 11

Thanks!

Someone may correct me but I think #11 and #12 went to OR, to SF. This one could go back to OR livery for a time, guess we'll see. That one is also set for 10:30 local, nine hours ahead of SF.

We may well see a second in Venezia tomorrow, #...7?

Anyone else yet realize that GGYC has allowed the title of the America's Cup to be sold?

"Red Bull Youth America's Cup", could have just as easily been "Youth America's Cup presented by Red Bull".

Red Bull is not a classic sponsor which writes a check and drops of a bunch of decals and trust the organizers to do their best.

They are only interested in a project if they can "own" or take over whatever it is they sponsor.

Football is one example, if one company would happily sponsor some shirts, RB will just buy the club.

There is a very good documentary out there which analyzes the RB sponsoring strategy.

Concerned about carnage? Wringing your hands?

Let me direct you to the FP and Nevin Sayre's searing indictment "change is not good?" of the ISAF kitesurfing decision.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread. Just noting that of the officially endorsed ways for kids to maim or kill themselves under sail, ISAF has just boosted kitesurfing to the top of the list.

Stacey Loula Pic -- Sailing Anarchy -- All Rights Reserved.

5f8bcbf9.jpg

Red Bull is not a classic sponsor which writes a check and drops of a bunch of decals and trust the organizers to do their best.

They are only interested in a project if they can "own" or take over whatever it is they sponsor.

Football is one example, if one company would happily sponsor some shirts, RB will just buy the club.

There is a very good documentary out there which analyzes the RB sponsoring strategy.

I am very well aware of how companies like Red Bull, and they in particular, manufacture stunt marketing events. This one will be no different. It will be spectacular.

I wonder if the cats will be modified in any way, smaller wings maybe?

Probably the only thing left interesting about this press event tomorrow is what sort of stunt they pull to get attention. Maybe the Red Bull and Oracle planes do some sort of flyby?

The things I want to know are: How many teams will there be? Who is going to own/control the teams? How will the sailors get picked? Where, when do they train? Are they going to be paid? What's the event format?

Oh yeah, has Capt. Kithcart been invited to send a team?

More from Stacey Loula - Sailing Anarchy - All Rights Reserved - Copyright 2012

3ed253ad.jpg

I wonder if the cats will be modified in any way, smaller wings maybe?

Bigger jockstraps?

Stacey Loula - Sailing Anarchy - Copyright 2012 - All Rights Reserved.

ae25fcbb.jpg

Concerned about carnage? Wringing your hands?

Let me direct you to the FP and Nevin Sayre's searing indictment "change is not good?" of the ISAF kitesurfing decision.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread. Just noting that of the officially endorsed ways for kids to maim or kill themselves under sail, ISAF has just boosted kitesurfing to the top of the list.

Kite surfing has killed 110 in the past ten years . If some of these kids die in this series it is not like it has not happened before nor will it not happen again . It is part and parcel of extreme sports . At least they will be doing what they like to do when the time comes .

Thanks guys! Was a fun way to spend a Wednesday mid morning and afternoon. :)

World first, bitches. Props to Stacey Loula for the very nice phone pics - the real pics are coming soon. Copyright 2011 Sailing Anarchy, All rights reserved - don't even think about reposting unless you've got your checkbook ready and like to write big ones to us and Stacey!

Notice what the wing says: YOUTH 2013 America's Cup

World first, bitches. Props to Stacey Loula - the real pics are coming soon. Copyright 2011 Sailing Anarchy, All rights reserved - don't even think about reposting it unless you've got your checkbook ready and like to write big ones!

Notice the wing: YOUTH 2013 America's Cup

Rock on Stacey and Clean.

Clean wasn't the only one looking for pics, but he and Stacey nailed it.

From the Twitterverse:

VSail.info ‏@vsail

Anyone in Union Square in San Francisco to take a photo of the Red Bull AC45?

Great job Stacy

OK, it's now clear (I think) that the Red Bull sponsorship doesn't relate to the LVC. Therefore the point I was making wasn't relevant.

Although to my taste-buds Red Bull is a foul concoction, I guess I'm not compelled to drink it, and the overall story looks like an interesting development.

As for kids getting killed, well, sometimes that happens. There is research that shows their brains aren't wired to assess risk the same way you do as you get older. Short of sanitising all excitement out of life, I'm not sure you can stop kids (and others) taking risks that once in a while will go wrong. There was a 21 year old killed recently doing a ski run I've done many times. He may have been trying to beat 100kph logged on an iPhone app, which people do. Whatever the reason, he crashed into an obstruction the resort had done everything possible to make obvious and safe. What can you do?

OK, it's now clear (I think) that the Red Bull sponsorship doesn't relate to the LVC. Therefore the point I was making wasn't relevant.

Although to my taste-buds Red Bull is a foul concoction, I guess I'm not compelled to drink it, and the overall story looks like an interesting development.

As for kids getting killed, well, sometimes that happens. There is research that shows their brains aren't wired to assess risk the same way you do as you get older. Short of sanitising all excitement out of life, I'm not sure you can stop kids (and others) taking risks that once in a while will go wrong. There was a 21 year old killed recently doing a ski run I've done many times. He may have been trying to beat 100kph logged on an iPhone app, which people do. Whatever the reason, he crashed into an obstruction the resort had done everything possible to make obvious and safe. What can you do?

For starters, like the CG in Northern California, shut the entire ski area down for a month and conduct a study.

It's like a driver of a van carrying 8 people makes a mistake on a freeway that results in the death of 5 of the passengers. Should they shut the freeway down for a month to figure out his mistake ?

Just read that ~ 100 kids have been killed in kite surfing within 10 years, while the Farallones race lost 5 in over 100 years.

I'm all for safety, within reason.

There's been a long time relationship between Oracle (Air) Racing in the form of Sean Tucker and the Red Bull Air Racing events. Would imagine it would have been a pretty easy phone call/contact to make for someone from Oracle (boat) Racing.

Had dinner with Red Bull Director of Events Marketing. Company is super pumped, and I like her attitude. She is a racer...

Had dinner with Red Bull Director of Events Marketing. Company is super pumped, and I like her attitude. She is a racer...

Dear God,

Save us!

AC (Jnr.) sponsored by a lolly water company!

safety is boring.

Yep, same as health-care costs!

you would be surprised at the level of talent there is out there. the youngest skipper right now isnt much older than these kids will be.

Perhaps the complete deal includes Red Bull sponsoring also ENERGY Team?

V08_5869.JPG.jpg.jpg

V08_5134.jpg.jpg

Red Bull Youth America’s Cup to launch future stars of the sport

Posted on 17 May 2012

Young sailors given a clear path to the America’s Cup

For the first time in the history of the America’s Cup, young, talented sailors have a clear pathway towards competing for one of the most prestigious trophies in sport. The Red Bull Youth America’s Cup, launched today with ceremonies in Venice, Italy and San Francisco, USA, opens the door for young sailors to gain the experience they need to contribute to a Cup team.

“I think this is one of the most exciting developments in the America’s Cup in a very long time,” said ORACLE TEAM USA skipper Jimmy Spithill, who became the youngest skipper to win the America’s Cup at age 30 in 2010.

“Breaking into the America’s Cup is hard. I was very fortunate when I was 19 to get a break with the Young Australia team, which allowed me to get into the game and get noticed. But this is going to give many more young sailors the same type of opportunity. We are talking about literally turning tradition on its head by opening up the America’s Cup to younger sailors, rather than it being closed off and difficult to get a foot in the door.”

contd

V08_5869.JPG.jpg.jpg

V08_5134.jpg.jpg

Red Bull Youth America’s Cup to launch future stars of the sport

Posted on 17 May 2012

Young sailors given a clear path to the America’s Cup

For the first time in the history of the America’s Cup, young, talented sailors have a clear pathway towards competing for one of the most prestigious trophies in sport. The Red Bull Youth America’s Cup, launched today with ceremonies in Venice, Italy and San Francisco, USA, opens the door for young sailors to gain the experience they need to contribute to a Cup team.

“I think this is one of the most exciting developments in the America’s Cup in a very long time,” said ORACLE TEAM USA skipper Jimmy Spithill, who became the youngest skipper to win the America’s Cup at age 30 in 2010.

“Breaking into the America’s Cup is hard. I was very fortunate when I was 19 to get a break with the Young Australia team, which allowed me to get into the game and get noticed. But this is going to give many more young sailors the same type of opportunity. We are talking about literally turning tradition on its head by opening up the America’s Cup to younger sailors, rather than it being closed off and difficult to get a foot in the door.”

contd

The path has always been open to young sailors. It's like rest of life it's all about who you know. Will be fun to watch a bunch of kids trash some boats but this is nothing more than a way to make money for Coutts.

The Red Bull Youth America’s Cup is open to up to 10 national teams of six sailors, aged 19 to 23 in 2013 (full requirements are detailed in the Notice of Race).

Has anyone seen that NoR? I'm wondering what the entry fee if any would be.

The Red Bull Youth America's Cup is open to up to 10 national teams of six sailors, aged 19 to 23 in 2013 (full requirements are detailed in the Notice of Race).

Has anyone seen that NoR? I'm wondering what the entry fee if any would be.

Here:

http://noticeboard.a...BullYouthAC.pdf

And from here:

The AC45's will be sailed by a crew of six, all of whom must be aged over 19 and under 23 years old.

The application fee is $5,000 which will be refunded if the application is unsuccessful, or put towards the $35,000 entry fee. A $25,000 damage deposit must also be lodged.

The boats and sails, including two especially logo'd sails will all be supplied by America's Cup Regatta Management, who will also undertake the maintenance.

^

So the sailors will need to raise, one way or another, around $10K a head plus travelling expenses. There are certainly parents paying that kind of annual cost and more to put their kids around international youth regattas. Some clubs here have youth bursary schemes but not at that level......maybe some of it though. I'm sure teams will be forthcoming.

I'm sure a pre-existing team will just front the money for a youth team - teams like Oracle Team AUS, Prada, ETNZ and Artemis are in already without batting an eye (well, Dalton will probably claim it is all a distraction and piss and moan some more). So there's four. Then presume Energy and hopefully Korea. We are up to six. Ainslie Racing will front a team. Now we are at seven. So who will be the next three?

With only a weeks worth of practice and one regatta I'd hardly call this formula a clear path to the America's Cup for very many people.

It's ironic that sailors in this event can not be paid. Yet again, more unpaid talent in a made for TV sailing event. See also the entire Olympic trials system (especially in the US). I'm wondering if this is within SAGAFTRA allowable rules, and whether or not the sailors will have to be paid at least scale, at least within the US market.

Some of my favs by © ACEA/Gilles Martin-Raget. For editorial use only. All rights reserved.

post-20594-033500800 1337257649_thumb.jpg

post-20594-037758500 1337257661_thumb.jpg

post-20594-094874300 1337257642_thumb.jpg

Nice, colorful toy.

For the first time in the history of the America's Cup, young, talented sailors have a clear pathway towards competing for one of the most prestigious trophies in sport. The Red Bull Youth America's Cup, launched today with ceremonies in Venice, Italy and San Francisco, USA, opens the door for young sailors to gain the experience they need to contribute to a Cup team.

For more information please visit www.americascup.com/redbull

Looks good. And allows for pre-approved team sponsors.

All fleet racing - seems a bit odd but I guess someone decided that for now that is the best 'show'.

Moet and most of the existing AC sponsors are in fact involved - see the event notice.

Did anyone make it out to the Union Square event today. Its very windy in the city today... curious if they were brave enough to step the wing

^ from http://blog.sfgate.com/cityinsider/2012/05/17/americas-cup-adds-youth-sailing-event-for-2013/

The colorful boat came complete with a ground crew of more than a dozen folks, constantly swinging the catamaran on its wheeled cradle to meet the shifting breezes swirling around Union Square.

“We have to keep (the boat) turning into the wind or it’s going to blow away,” Ehman said.

So one would hope Russell drove a hard bargain and got alot of money.

It's just like the line...."now that we have determined what you are sweetheart, all we are talking about is the price".

It also means that Red Bull has pulled a huge coup - good for them, they saw weakness in Russell, and they exploited it. They knew he needed fast cash, so they made him give up title rights to the America's Cup in a brilliantly executed, and perfectly legal, marketing coup.

This will go down in the annals of sportsmarketing as one of the biggest and best moves ever by a company - to get their name in front of the oldest trophy in international sports.

Well done Red Bull.

Yes: it's of far more value for a company to have their name become part of a high image event, rather than simply being associated with a team.

We'll have a full report from SF 49er sailor Jonny Goldsberry, who attended for SA, late tonight or early in the AM.

It will be fun to see what Red Bull can pull off. They do subsidize so many fun off the wall events and individuals . If you get a chance google the owner and check out his private air plane hanger . Just amazing . On a side note , to me , red bull tastes like sugared shit but its pretty obvious someone likes it :)