• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

inspirational

With all of the gorgeous photos we see published so quickly, sometimes filed instantly, we neglect the beauty and long lasting tradition of the work of artists who love to paint racing sailboats. One who died this weekend, Willard Bond, he captured some glorious and sublime sailing moments with a quick eye and a patient touch on his canvas. Perhaps it's time to share our favorite sailing paintings here and inspire a new breed of sailing artists. - Paige Brooks.

bond-obit-3-articleLarge.jpg

I had no idea he'd done some sailing prints. I only knew of his pastorals. Gonna have to look some up (as the price goes nuts).

I had no idea he'd done some sailing prints. I only knew of his pastorals. Gonna have to look some up (as the price goes nuts).

My wife and I own a few Bond paintings and they never fail to stir me, especially during the winter when we are holed up waiting for spring thaw and launchings! Rest in peace Mr. Bond!

I have his entire sailing collection (prints) that he signed for me about 10 years ago... love every piece. My heart died a little today. My wishes go out to your family Mr. Bond. Your work will live on.

This is incredibly sad. I am very happy that I got to talk with him this past Annapolis boat show. I have the privileged of owning many prints, a numbered print (Knockdown) and an original (Off Mahi - Megles 24). He will be missed by many.

I have a couple of his prints, "At the Mark 1" and "Spinnaker Up". We bought them from him at the Atlantic City Sailboat show 10 or 11 years ago. He signed both of them. Sad Loss!

Sad news but not surprised, he didn't look too good 2 years ago at the Annapolis boat show. I have 2 signed prints ( that I am looking at while typing this) ,On the water and Riding The Wind .

With all of the gorgeous photos we see published so quickly, sometimes filed instantly, we neglect the beauty and long lasting tradition of the work of artists who love to paint racing sailboats. One who died this weekend, Willard Bond, he captured some glorious and sublime sailing moments with a quick eye and a patient touch on his canvas. Perhaps it's time to share our favorite sailing paintings here and inspire a new breed of sailing artists. - Paige Brooks.

This picture has been hanging in my family room for 12 year along with another called 'at the mark' or something close to that. Sad day.

I've a signed copy of "Take Down" that Mr. Bond signed and gave to me at a boat show in the mid-90s... I was in middle school and overly enthusiastic about anything sailing... I'm sure he enjoyed giving it to me as much as I enjoyed receiving it.

I met him again in 2010 at the National Hospice Regatta banquet in Rochester. His keynote address was a moving and motivational example of his long-term dedication to that important cause.

It was a pleasure to have met such a gentleman. Fair winds, Mr. Bond.

maybe it's just me but I think these paintings are truly awful....sort of pap for the masses...give them a bit of wild brush strokes and people think it is "passion"

crap...crap...crap

Beautiful. Any way to buy giclee prints. Tried google, didn't help much.

maybe it's just me but I think these paintings are truly awful....sort of pap for the masses...give them a bit of wild brush strokes and people think it is "passion"

crap...crap...crap

Now I know why my Dad fled Kanaduh in the 40's. And went to Okinawa for two years instead, courtesy of of the U.S. Army.

F'ng idjit.......

What is interesting is that one painting can give you this feeling of wild and almost put of control action, the next an impression of calm control. All in those brush strokes and the colors chosen. I bought my first one because it makes me remember those wild rides. The original is a bit different. It is that calm before the storm hits and the crew is waiting and unafraid because they are ready and confident. All that from those silly little brush strokes.

Annapolis Art Gallery

They can help with a purchase. The link also has a bit of info.

In reply to Paige Brooks request, I believe there already is a "new breed" of marine or sailing artist. Willard Bond has inspired many. I personally have collected over 2000 images of sailing paintings by any number of dedicated professional and amature martime artists. It would be great to see a somewhat regular submission of nautical art by Anarchists to share and appreciate.

I have this hanging over my shoulder on the wall of my office.

1133795826_original_1.jpg

From the collection, Yachts of the America's Cup, "The Schooner" by H. Thompson.

I have this one inherited from my dad.... 1963 sailing scene from Deryck Foster

9464301_1_l.jpg

Damn, but you can feel the power in that! Always wanted a tattoo of a helmsman on a boat like that leaning out over the combing in the trough of the hull wave.

<thread drift>

Anyone ever run across the works of an artist named "Siokos" (I think that's the right spelling). I ran across some paintings at a gallery in Newport Beach back in the early 90s.... *loved* the work, many of the paintings were IOR boats doing battle and he got them "right" the sails and water and such were all spot-on.

Had no money back then. Now I could probably afford to get a piece or two, if I could find any, but... have never run across the artist since.

Any pointers?

</drift>

Like many of you, I too have multiple signed prints. I met Willard some 18 years ago, listening to his stories and descriptions of his paintings at sooo many boat shows. Willard was a very colorful guy.

Thank you for decorating mine and my family's homes.

Nice Thread. I have two framed prints I aquired in the late 1980's. Never knew anything about them, always got compliments about the prints though. After inspecting the prints I see William signed both.

The "Take Down" has the number 83 after his signature. The other print, I don;t know the "name" has the number 84 after his signature. Very Cool.

come on .......seriously?.....this is good?????.......guess you guys don' get out much. most Americans don't even have a passport...this is the result.

these are shit paintings....inspirational?......don't think so.......crap...shit...derivative....etc etc...

come on .......seriously?.....this is good?????.......guess you guys don' get out much. most Americans don't even have a passport...this is the result.

these are shit paintings....inspirational?......don't think so.......crap...shit...derivative....etc etc...

Guess you've never heard of DeWitt... bummer

I have this one inherited from my dad.... 1963 sailing scene from Deryck Foster

9464301_1_l.jpg

Best one posted so far, very nice.

I used to work with Willard. I was employed by Arnold Art in Newport and did a few boat shows with him. I wish I was older when I knew him because he was a great guy, I was just too young to realize it fully. He used to be the star of our booth at Newport, Atlantic City, and, before my time, Miami. He was fun. He used to take down the gallery sign when the owner wasn't looking (ie selling someone else's work) and replace it with his own. He always wore these awful ties, fish and the like, but he was always a huge hit with kids. He would engage them, talk to them, and then more often that not sign a print and give it to them. Used to drive the boss nuts. He was passionate about sailing and art, although he wasn't much of a sailor as I remember. Like I said, he was fun. I actually don't even have one of his prints, it's kinda sad in a way. When I was there I always figured I would get one I really liked and he would sign it. When we opened in VT we bought some prints to sell. I'd have to check but I think they are all gone now. Fair winds Willard, I hope the world beyond is as colorful and romantic and beautiful as your art. You were one in a million and I will miss you and your silly ties. God speed.