• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

corkob

VOR leg 9

It looks like G4 is sailing with a conservative sail set; they were the only team with a reef in during the first live cross interviews.

Unsurprising really but it's odd to see them not pushing.

They only have to finish to take the whole thing out, don't they? Understandable their not "pushing" things...

If Puma wins this leg, Groupama needs 4th to be assured a win before the last in-port. Otherwise, 5th will do.

Groupama winward boat going up to the rock noice.Should be first to the rock as the leward boats have to harden up. Dont understand why they stayed below the layline with foul tide taking them east? Should get wind against tide soon ,that will intresting.

Groupama winward boat going up to the rock noice.Should be first to the rock as the leward boats have to harden up. Dont understand why they stayed below the layline with foul tide taking them east? Should get wind against tide soon ,that will intresting.

Interesting. Do you know how much tidal current there is?

Also, Puma looking good in this perspective, better than GPMA?

..I agree with 'onimod'..

.....at first glimpse,,it seems the lead 4 have all been working to windward(west) of the rhumbline.,ranging 2 1/2 to 8 1/2 miles above it.

...I suppose it's a temptation for more apparent wind ,,

,,with a hope that a shift forward will help them soak back down,

but with ~40 miles to go,,that hope is diminishing ,,and you say the current will soon be upwind too?:unsure:

..with another look,,I see the rhumbline as drawn is probably a bit 'loosely-drawn' around the rock,,and puma and campah are virtually right on a tighter line,,with pooma and groupon following a track ~5 miles above it :unsure: ...I can only think they're going to pay a price to get back down........currently campa's 1/2 mi behind Tele,,with Pooma a further 1/2 mi,,,and Groupapa another ~1.2

........currently campa's 1/2 mi behind Tele,,with Pooma a further 1/2 mi,,,and Groupapa another ~1.2

See Puma pretty even with Camper now.

...I'd be happy if the Squid slips through! ;)

Interesting. Do you know how much tidal current there is?

Also, Puma looking good in this perspective, better than GPMA?

Crookhaven

03:41 - High Tide (3.00m)

10:05 - Low Tide (0.40m)

16:10 - High Tide (3.20m)

22:31 - Low Tide (0.30m)

Galway

04:27 - High Tide (4.80m)

10:30 - Low Tide (1.10m)

16:50 - High Tide (5.20m)

22:57 - Low Tide (0.80m)

Since the Fastnet G4 is extending quite nicely from Camper, securing the first place overall.

GPMA perfectly placed at the moment. What options exist for Camper, must they simply sail faster or is there inside/outside of some island coming up?

I suspect G4 is trying not to influence the battle for the minor placings which fits nicely with their preservation mode settings too.

I reckon it'd actually be pretty nerve racking knowing the only real impediment to the overall victory is boat failure.

I hope by now they have a good idea what caused the first mast to fold.

Still, no reason not to sail well in the light stuff.

Charles Caudrelier on Groupama predicted around 3 in the morning due to light airs.

With probably a realy interesting finish due to high cliff on the south of the bay, with south wind, so lot more to still happen !

edit : don't know what's happening with Camper, but they are actually realy slow ! around 7 to 8 knts towards 11-12 for the others !

So just whose idea was it for the boats to finish in Galway in the early hours of the morning?

Timezones, weather, can't keep everyone happy.

So just whose idea was it for the boats to finish in Galway in the early hours of the morning?

Timezones, weather, can't keep everyone happy.

Come on- it's not like the wind is a fickle beast and can't be accurately predicted!

If I recall, the VOR site was giving an expected timeframe of 48 hours from Lorient to Galway which would have fit in perfectly with an afternoon finish for the cameras and the crowds (in that order!). At least this way the teams get to let off the hand flares on the bow!

An Irishman?

But seriously, would you have preferred an additional off shore mark to lenghten the trip a bit, and make it a more confortable finish at tea time?

The guys are tired, and want this race to end ASAP.

Did you hear the tone of Andrew Cape's voice, when he said, "Quite frankly, I've had enough..." ?

http://www.teamtelefonica.com/en/audios/270/

It looks like we'll have another compression near the tip of Dursey Is.

If the tracker is accurate (enough) Puma will definitely have to tack and Tele is struggling.

It still might be close enough for Campers A4 to make the difference.

By the way - how do the Camper boys know with certainty who has what on their sail card?

I sure would like to have known and if the race committee can keep it to themselves they might as well make it public knowledge.

EDIT - I retract - Puma might squeak through and hold their lead.

On the tracker Puma just ran aground but must have brilliant wheels to march on that fast. Always knew that these shore-sailing guys have some guts and speed.

<iframe src="http://cdn.livestream.com/events/volvooceanrace/embed/player.html" width="854" height="480" frameborder="0"/>

<iframe src="http://cdn.livestream.com/events/volvooceanrace/embed/player.html" width="550" height="322" frameborder="0"/>

test

Why is G4 well placed for the leg despite being in 4th place?

Would be nice to see Camper win a leg actually.

test

Anybody wanna have a guess how far behind the leader Sanya is currently ?

1) According to virtual eye of livestream, over 60 nautical miles.

2) According to position report leaderboard 02/07 13:35 UTC, 9.1 nautical miles.

3) measureng from 2D live tracker just over 17 nautical miles.

Vor reporting is a fuck up.

At 20:53 UTC the tracker shows Camper in 4th place behind Groupama. But the live video from Groupama clearly shows Camper ahead. Meanwhile the leaderboard on the tracker shows Camper in first place ahead of Puma! Too bad it's middle of the night - copter video would be great.

Guest Chumly

Why is G4 well placed for the leg despite being in 4th place?

Would be nice to see Camper win a leg actually.

Testing 123