• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steele

Somebody save this boat

Most of the craigslist adds posted here are a sad joke, this might be worth it to someone,

http://seattle.craig...3093235036.html,

post-27422-068480400 1340340239_thumb.jpg

Looks rough, but if it was ocean worthy in 09 it might still have good bones. It is too much of a boat for me, but it would be a shame to see it go to waste.

Hmmmm....

Most of the craigslist adds posted here are a sad joke, this might be worth it to someone,

http://seattle.craig...3093235036.html,

Looks rough, but if it was ocean worthy in 09 it might still have good bones. It is too much of a boat for me, but it would be a shame to see it go to waste.

Hmmmm....

That's what I'm talking about. Find a boat cheap in the PNW. Fix her up, get to know her and then truck it to Florida and you'll still be in it for less than the "normal" boat for sale and you'll already have some experience with the boat.

Cal 40. Great boat, especially if you like keeping the cost down.

Sigh.

I do not need another project boat.

Excuse my while I go lie down until the shakes go away...

Sigh.

40 feet is mighty tempting, ain't it?

Sigh.

40 feet is mighty tempting, ain't it?

Rock solid reputation. Cal-40's just took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in their Bermuda Race class. I would put the Cal 40 in the top tier of 'affordable and worthy of refit' choices.

I would to.

I won't lie, it's *really* tempting. I don't have the $20k right now (figuring on a survey and haulout and a final price in the $15k range just to be bloody-minded.) But that's honestly a boat worth putting the time and money into. Drop it in the back yard (okay, don't have that right now either) for a year and do the bottom, replace any suspect thru-hulls, the engine and electrical work. In the fall order a replacement for whatever sail's in the worst condition. Next spring be back in the water and start working on the project list while sailing.

Damnit, that's tempting.

Where's my meds...

I have long thought that Cal 40's (one of the all time great boats) were a bargain and this one is even much cheaper than the normal price of $30-50K

(I wonder if SWMBO would notice if a Cal 40 appeared on our mooring buoy........)

damn if she were 1,000 miles further south id be all over this!

Truck it!

My boat is bigger inside and I don't like those 'board' coamings, and it's in Seattle, and...and...look how fuzzy the v-berth is.

...is what I'm telling myself.

My boat is bigger inside and I don't like those 'board' coamings, and it's in Seattle, and...and...look how fuzzy the v-berth is.

Dude, it's June. Are you in the water yet???

Dude, it's June. Are you in the water yet???

thanks. That hurts man. You cut me deep. Real deep.

ha

:D

no, she won't be in the water until August most likely. Heading to the boat tonight for the first time in a month. Though if you believe in fate, this isn't a bad thing. The marina we're heading to has had all sorts of damage due to the torrential rain that's fallen in Duluth.

vintage party boat? me thinks this owner bought into this boat with pbr colored glasses. i smell flannel, skinny jeans, and white wayfarers.

I smell somebody who has no idea what he was buying or what to do with it after he bought it, and now he wants out. Cal 40s are, as kimb pointed out, not very high-price, but unless those pictures are completely inaccurate the boat's not in bad shape. Neglected, certainly.

CA needs a flagship race boat, doesn't it?

Anyone down there in that area willing to go look at it?

Looks like it is close to where I live. I am racing tomorrow, but may be able to stop in after the race. At least I will sail by after the finish and try to make sure it is where I think it is. I remember the boat name from a few years ago.

That boat does look like it has potential, but the ad is wrong in that there was no Vic-Maui race in 2009. They are held on even years. A Cal 40 named Kismet DID win in 1996.

That boat does look like it has potential, but the ad is wrong in that there was no Vic-Maui race in 2009. They are held on even years. A Cal 40 named Kismet DID win in 1996.

Apparently, they've been partying ever since....

damn if she were 1,000 miles further south id be all over this!

I have sent this to a few friends in the market for a similarly priced boat in the bay area. A Cal 40 is my dream boat, but I don't have the $$ either. If this is really something you might want, I wouldn't let the distance stop you...this is a great opputunity for a good boat (tho the Idea that she may not have been kept up since 96 is a major concern).

Rock solid reputation. Cal-40's just took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in their Bermuda Race class. I would put the Cal 40 in the top tier of 'affordable and worthy of refit' choices.

This does seem like a great opportunity for the right person. Minor correction on the Bermuda results, "Actea", a Bermuda 40 came in third breaking up the Cal-40 123. http://bermudaraceadmin.com/2012Results/Public/ORRResults.html

y'know, maybe it's because I'm over caffeinated or something, but if CA were going to go the whole 'commune' route, I'd gladly pitch in $50 or maybe even more to see this be a CA boat. Moreso than a lot of the other jalopies that get schlepped around here sometimes.

I know, that's pie-in-the-sky thinking. Who would be responsible for insurance? Who would manage it? yada yada yada...it's a cool thought though. ohhh...another latte please!

If we did something like that it'd need to be a subscription/time share sort of deal to cover ongoing maintenance, insurance, moorage, etc. Could do it as a club deal - money or time pays your share, in return you get time on board. It'd be cool, but a major hassle, too.

Also, SA member "wildangels" out of Anacortes has sailed on this boat

Boat design- time lapse division. My memory of the Cal 40 is some boxy light weight racer with high freeboard (I sailed a few times on a Cal 36). Just went and looked at the picture, and there is a long ended svelte low to the water sweetheart.

I thought the loves of our youth aged- this is the reverse- if only Elke Sommer should be so lucky.

post-24720-096763900 1340387016_thumb.jpg

Great boats and just about bullet proof - in Seattle we used to get 15+ for our own class in Puget Sound races (including this boat Kismet). The hull is laid up fiberglas and the stem is no shit about 6" thick. My parents had "Maria", which came with an SORC rule-beater bowsprit, which we removed...the thru bolts were almost 9" long. I saw a local Cal 40 (which shall remain nameless) t-bone an Ericson 39 and leave a hole big enough to crawl through....Hooligan had scratched paint.....talk about a Honey Badger boat :D.

When my parents bought Maria, it was trashed - but the boats are simple and built right, so she came back and was a great looking boat until we sold it.

At $18.5K it's an amazing buy - even if you had to put $30K into it, it would still be a bargain.

WWing

As always, buys like this are on the wrong side of the planet.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/3093235036.html,

This boat was actually out sailing yesterday. Looked good!

Hmm, I bet Wildangels will know something about this boat too. I know the previous owner. Not Charlie, I believe he had a partner when he owned Kismet. I will email her and see if she knows anything.

Any way, she seems like a steal.

This boat is a steal! I sailed on her way WAY back when she was only a decade old. I haven't seen her since about '75.

You could have one of the best boats EVER for about $50k including all the re-fits unless there is something terribly wrong.

Just thing, that's about what Kimb will pay for his set of sails and you can get an entire boat that could (if you know what you're doing) win the TransPac or Bermuda Race. One of these held the single handed TransPac record for something like 15 years, it may still hold it. It's the one with the white, gray and red chute above.

Someone should at least look at it!!

BV

A Cal 40 (Stan Honey) does still hold the SHTP record. It is finally expected to fall this year with a well-prepared Open 50 entered. Assuming he finishes the record should fall.

SHTP starts this Friday. It's on my someday list and one of the reasons I picked a J/120 for a "cruising" boat.

This boat is a steal! I sailed on her way WAY back when she was only a decade old. I haven't seen her since about '75.

You could have one of the best boats EVER for about $50k including all the re-fits unless there is something terribly wrong.

Just thing, that's about what Kimb will pay for his set of sails and you can get an entire boat that could (if you know what you're doing) win the TransPac or Bermuda Race. One of these held the single handed TransPac record for something like 15 years, it may still hold it. It's the one with the white, gray and red chute above.

BV

Wish I had the $$. One of my all time favorite boats!

post-22256-056168800 1340549829_thumb.jpg

Holy shit. Can you say "Yee Haw"? What a ride.

BV

Hey, I bought a used Farr 40 rig so I could use some of those lightly used Farr 40 sails that are floating around. (Just like Jonathon McKee does.)

It should not be anywhere near $50K! (Lots of other things are costing $50K on the Sliver, but hopefully not sails.)

Can't look…... anymore. No, can't look. No!

What a great boat for busting up the cali coast, and dinkin around in the delta…..

Would someone please buy this boat! NOW!

SWMBO will freak out if I bring it home.

It is only about 7 miles from our house so it is dangerously close.

We may need to organize an "intervention" group to rescue Kim.

Count me in to help!

Kim

We are all friends here...step back from the varnish before somebody gets hurt.

First we want you to know we love you Kim.....NOW HTFU!

+1 :lol:

Can't do it! But Charlie may have some time - and you'd have a boat to putter with while you wait…. :)

First we want you to know we love you Kim.....NOW HTFU!

screw that.

Kim, WTF are you waiting for? Maybe SWMBO will kill you, but that's not as bad as divorce. And why would she divorce you over a li'l sailboat?

It is a shame to have that nice mooring in front of Kim's place going unused, actually I think it may be illegal to leave it empty. Clearly he has a responsibility to all of us in the sailing community to purchase this boat, it is the least he could do. We have expectations around here.

It is a shame to have that nice mooring in front of Kim's place going unused, actually I think it may be illegal to leave it empty. Clearly he has a responsibility to all of us in the sailing community to purchase this boat, it is the least he could do. We have expectations around here.

Tomorrow is my birthday (64th)............you guys should all take up a collection and buy me a Cal-40 so my buoy becomes legal again.......

Tomorrow is my birthday (64th)............you guys should all take up a collection and buy me a Cal-40 so my buoy becomes legal again.......

Happy Birthday ya old .... sailor! ;)

Maestro's was yesterday. Many happy returns to you both

SWMBO was Sunday she turned 65, maybe I should buy the Cal 40 as her present?

SWMBO was Sunday she turned 65, maybe I should buy the Cal 40 as her present?

I'd get her Sliver actually, and you can save the Cal 40 for yourself.:P Lots of CA birthdays in June!

Kimb,

If the weather clears today we are heading down to pick up a park buoy for the night at Blake, swing by on the power cat to pick me up and I will help bring the C40 over from Port Orchard. We could put a big bow on it for SWMBO.

This ->
is for you, for tomorrow.

The 30 Square Metre sold about a week ago and my mooring buoy is empty!

Please come save me from myself......

What is this, a west-side of the Sound thing?

Kim and Thorvald need to commiserate with each other. :lol:

This ->
is for you, for tomorrow.

SWMBO and I have been singing that to each other. On July 1st we will be together for 45 years. We met at a Canadian Centennial party put on by some Canadian bicycle racers I rode with.

July 1st 1967 in Altadena , Ca. It seemed to work out OK, and NOW YOU GUYS WANT ME TO BLOW IT ALL ON A CAL 40!

(Maybe she wouldn't notice it on the buoy?)

It seemed to work out OK, and NOW YOU GUYS WANT ME TO BLOW IT ALL ON A CAL 40!

(Maybe she wouldn't notice it on the buoy?)

Well congratulations on your Birthday and your Anniversary. It seems that if you don't buy the Cal 40 you'll live to see another of each no doubt. ;)

If you got it as an anniversary present, I would be for BOTH of you, together...

How can you get in trouble for that?

If you got it as an anniversary present, I would be for BOTH of you, together...

How can you get in trouble for that?

I like your thinking Gerry.......................................

(From the Craigslist ad) Call Keith and come see her. 360-471-7185

Owner says hi to all on SA and confirmed the Vic-Maui race was in '06.

Boat lying in Port Orchard, needs a Kitsap Peninsula anarchist with a camera.

In Bob Perry's shadow.

In Bob Perry's shadow.

I had a nice chat with Keith today and he was surprised when I told him about this thread. He seems like a straight up guy and was quick to point out the negatives of the boat (which pretty much seem cosmetic.)

I may go see her this weekend with my camera.

Really, with it being some time until Sliver is good to go, and the Cal40 just needing a bit of love to make it nice & clean it is pretty REASONABLE - get the Cal, do the minor stuff spending as little as possible ( hah ! ) and sail it this summer/fall and put it on the market when the big boat is READY - it'll pay for itself in NOT rushing the build.

Or start the CA charter program. I'll sign up for a weeks' use next summer.

In Bob Perry's shadow.

Actually it was 1996 see the Vic-Maui website: (http://www.vicmaui.o...revious-winners)

1996 KISMET C.GUILDNER BYC/LYC CAL 40 09d:06h:07m:04s

Isn't the forty-fifth the fiberglass anniversary?

I'm pretty sure I am right.

Show her you really love her.

I think she'll be mad if you don't buy it!

Well I offered it up to her:

The Cruising Anarchy gang thinks I should get the Cal 40 for YOU as a combo birthday and anniversary present…….

her answer:

No, no, I must demur.

So I am working with another anarchist from the east coast to see if we can put a deal together.

We got to find a new owner for this vessel who will fix her up, she seems worthy of it.

The Cruising Anarchy gang thinks I should get the Cal 40 for YOU as a combo birthday and anniversary present…….

her answer:

No, no, I must demur.

So I am working with another anarchist from the east coast to see if we can put a deal together.

We got to find a new owner for this vessel who will fix her up, she seems worthy of it.

I've learned that 'no' actually means 'yes'.

and then monkeys flew outta my butt

her answer:

No, no, I must demur.

And you gave up that easy?? No whine or grovelling stage?

her answer:

No, no, I must demur.

And you gave up that easy?? No whine or grovelling stage?

There are several members of this thread who are seriously interested in the vessel, I am assisting them best I can so she ends up in good hands.

her answer:

No, no, I must demur.

Oh Kim, did you forget everything you knew as a child? You did this all backwards. Allow me to assist you, for the future.

You: "Honey, I bought you a boat for your birthday and anniversary!"

Her: "But I didn't want a boat for my birthday and anniversary."

You: Thoughtful pause, then: "Oh. Well, then can I have it as my birthday and anniversary present?"

Come on, boys are always buying themselves presents under the guise of getting it for their girlfriend or wife! And have you never heard of "Tis better to ask for forgiveness than for permission"? I'm sorry I didn't stumble upon this thread sooner, I could've helped you get a new boat. Alas.

her answer:

No, no, I must demur.

Oh Kim, did you forget everything you knew as a child? You did this all backwards. Allow me to assist you, for the future.

You: "Honey, I bought you a boat for your birthday and anniversary!"

Her: "But I didn't want a boat for my birthday and anniversary."

You: Thoughtful pause, then: "Oh. Well, then can I have it as my birthday and anniversary present?"

Come on, boys are always buying themselves presents under the guise of getting it for their girlfriend of wife! And have you never heard of "Tis better to ask for forgiveness than for permission"? I'm sorry I didn't stumble upon this thread sooner, I could've helped you get a new boat. Alas.

You are so helpful Courtney!! Thanks, I will give that a try next time.

Happy Birthday and a happy anniversary to you and SWMBO! Boat is still for sale...wish he'd post more photos, I want to see more of it...