• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steele

Somebody save this boat

Can someone tell me more about the block/twing setup attached to the boom for the spinsheet.......looks interesting. I've never seen that setup before.

ILLUSION has a line that pulls the spinnaker sheet out toward the end of the main boom to stretch out the foot. This is what you're seeing. It has the effect of moving the sheet point for the chute "aft", at least as far as the chute feels it, much further than you can accomplish on a 40' boat. This opens up the leech of the chute, just as it would if you move the jib car aft for a genoa. That allows the air to flow across the chute and exit without blowing into the back of the main sail. It also stabilizes the chute in heavy winds, which is what you're seeing in the picture.

Sally's shop is closed now but the articles are still there. Here's the "Out-Grabber."

The Cal 40 GREEN BUFFALO is racing in the Singlehanded Transpac this year. In fact the start is this Saturday. Look for Jim Q to at least win his division.

A number of Cal-40s have converted the Nav station on the STB side to a top loader Frig/Freezer with chart table on top. It works really well. You don't get a "sit down" chart table, but so what.

BV

I saw Kismet last weekend. Pretty far gone. IMHO she will need a complete rebuild, the mast and boom have some pretty severe corrosion, the deck has dozens and dozens of holes that have been filled with polyester resin, as has the area around the top rudder bearing in cockpit floor etc etc. Completely uninsurable without complete rewiring. BIG job ahead!

Kimb, I'd really like to buy this boat, I just don't have the cash or the place to put it at the moment. If you buy the boat on my behalf and keep at a place secure to you I Promise I will pay back the purchase price and as a guarantee to you if I never come up with the funds to buy the boat, You can keep the boat.

Sound fair?

:D

Keith cleaned up his ad and added more information:

Kismet

"Postings been flagged for removal" .... wonder why.

1341128181[/url]' post='3771389']

Kimb, I'd really like to buy this boat, I just don't have the cash or the place to put it at the moment. If you buy the boat on my behalf and keep at a place secure to you I Promise I will pay back the purchase price and as a guarantee to you if I never come up with the funds to buy the boat, You can keep the boat.

Sound fair?

What a generous guy you are!

i don't know if someone posted this..., but Lyman Morse has a brokerage Cal 40 for $150k..., that apparently still needs some work.

The exterior looks pretty nice.

Lyman Morse Brokerage

I have no idea if that is a reasonable price for a restored Cal 40, but if it is, it certainly seems that the craigslist boat is worth the effort and expense...

Kismet

Was like that from the start. The original link has been updated though.

I own the cal 40 Belle Aurore. Have owned a few boats, but none so satisfying as she. The lines will elicit nothing but smiles, countless people will regale you with stories of their youth spent sailing on or against a cal 40, and anytime you so decide, you can gear up, take the most successful ocean racer of all time and go kick ass. She'll be dead simple to maintain, and will save your ass anytime you put yourself in a bad situation. And coolest of all, you can call up the only double Rolex winner couple on the planet, and not only will they take your call, the Honey's will freely share their hard won knowledge. With only a 5'9" draft, she is capable of going gunkholing in places no modern racer can even consider. My wife loves the tiller because it puts me nearer the middle of the boat, so I don't have to bellow to be heard by the crew on the rail, and at the dock it simply swings up out of the way, providing a lovely cockpit for lounging. I admit the interior is small, more in line with a modern 33 footer, but for a couple and occasional guest or two, pretty darn perfect. Take the leap!

Kismet

Was like that from the start. The original link has been updated though.

i don't know if someone posted this..., but Lyman Morse has a brokerage Cal 40 for $150k..., that apparently still needs some work.

The exterior looks pretty nice.

Lyman Morse Brokerage

I have no idea if that is a reasonable price for a restored Cal 40, but if it is, it certainly seems that the craigslist boat is worth the effort and expense...

Really nice Cal 40s sell in the $55K range, so I doubt that Lyman Morse will get even 1/2 of the $150K --- there are just too many nice boats that you can get for far less, and while Cal 40s are truly classics, it's not a 1965 Mustang that a collector is going to see and say "I have to have that". If the boat still needs some work (as the ad says), it's a complete non-starter....for anywhere near $150K, that boat has to be *perfect* right down to gleaming engine and a bilge you could eat from.

WWing

(parents owned "Maria", 1966 light blue Cal 40 from Milwaukee that they brought to PNW - still here and still sailing afaik)

1341128181[/url]' post='3771389']

Sound fair?

So I take it that "I bought the boat on behalf for this chap I met on the internet, and the sod let me down :( " just wouldn't fly?

Stan and Sally Honey's Cal 40 Illusion was a derelict sitting out in a field that someone had used for a bit of target practice. Boat was a real wreck before they brought her back from the dead. Back in the 90's Stan and Sally invited me on board and I was blown away by how well executed the restoration was. Illusion stands out in my memory as one of the nicest boats I've been on.

Sound fair?

So I take it that "I bought the boat on behalf for this chap I met on the internet, and the sod let me down :( " just wouldn't fly?

darn I got all busy this weekend with the water/power to the dock thing and forgot to go check on the cal 40, I also got distracted by this girl.......

post-8115-028704000 1341518139_thumb.jpg

Sound fair?

darn I got all busy this weekend with the water/power to the dock thing and forgot to go check on the cal 40, I also got distracted by this girl.......

wait, where's the front?

oh, I see :D

Any idea what all the gudgeons are used for? Never saw something like that.

The boat in the background looks pretty sweet too.

Any ideas what all the gudgeons are used for? Never saw something like that.

? Removable outboard bracket

Outboard bracket.

Boat in background is our R-Boat "Pirate".

http://www.r-boat.org/

Outboard bracket.

Boat in background is our R-Boat "Pirate".

http://www.r-boat.org/

Kimb & SpongeDeckSquareFoil,

I think that the gudgeons may be for long oars. In the late '60s I crewed on a Rozinante that had oars to get her from her mooring to the dock. They looked exactly like that.

BV

Too close to the shrouds? Also looks like there might be oarlocks just forward of the winches.

Well.... I was looking at the ones forward of the winches. I can't see what you all were looking at.... I'll just pour another glass of wineeee nowwww.

B

Too close to the shrouds? Also looks like there might be oarlocks just forward of the winches.

Well.... I was looking at the ones forward of the winches. I can't see what you all were looking at.... I'll just pour another glass of wineeee nowwww.

B

The ones on the hull under the shrouds...

How about "bases for Luxo lamps"? Original Luxo lamps fit 1/2" oarlock sockets perfectly.

Posted · Hidden by sailglobal, July 6, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by sailglobal, July 6, 2012 - No reason given

B

How about "bases for Luxo lamps"? Original Luxo lamps fit 1/2" oarlock sockets perfectly.

Try outboard motor bracket,,,,,,,,,,,

Heck, I thought those were the mounts for the steering oar !

It is clearly on the steerboard side, and they had to unship it since they didn't dock on the port side.

B

Good point. Important for night fishing.

So did Kismet sell yet?