• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gouvernail

Unacceptable Damned and Banned Boat Names

This shit has to stop.

A month ago I found the tune

Stand by me

running through my head bedcause of a damn fool who put that in plastic lettering on te side of his toy.

Then we had the hand painted

Afternoon Delight

Now we have a flaking fading vedrsion of Hurry Sundown.

This shit simply has to stop!!!

Last I saw it was parked in the back or the drysail area with parts missing and about three years worth of lichen in the nonskid....which differs from when he sailed it by...not much.

it is named after those bones in the foot... he is a podiatrist.

Last I saw it was parked in teh back or teh drysail area with parts missing and about three eyars worth of lichen in teh nonskid....which differes from when he sailed it by...not much.

it is named after those bones in the foot... he is a podiatriast.

metatarsals_1.jpg

wich oune? :)

dunno. My wife teaches Anatomy and told me that was the case and gary confirmed the reason for the name

can I interest you in some Euro 2012 girls while we research a foot bone phboto??

EURO-2012-girls-sexy-ukrainian-cheerleaders-intro.jpg

Last I saw it was parked in the back or the drysail area with parts missing and about three years worth of lichen in the nonskid....which differs from when he sailed it by...not much.

That's a shame it's fallen into disrepair. I haven't seen the boat in some 30 years. Had raced against him multiple times and imagined it was named after some Roman god or general or something cool. Imagine my surprise when drifting along near him one race and I asked what it meant.

Imagine my surprise when drifting along near him one race and I asked what it meant.

it meant you were sailing next to a boat that had sch a horrible blister problem the hull actually leaked right through the damned laminate and his trusty boat repair guy said...I really can't fix it this time..

so he bought a Catalina 30 for cruising and a Sunfish for racing.

and it seems to me he really enjoys each toy....and his bike that he peddals around our little hilly peninsula

O.K..

I fix boats...not feet..

Maybe it just means toe bunion...

It does.

Moe out.

I though you were a head doctor. or was that a head case?

damned names? minnow, titanic, anything with 'knot', 'sail' or 'ship' in the name.

I particularly despise "blew by you"

For a sailboat - "Blow Me"

Don't ask the inspiration, though it had something to do with the predictable, spousal reaction to someone buying a boat.

The name didn't stick long enough to do the lettering.

Was going to name my new toy "Off My Meds" after my adoring ex... Thought she'd take me to court though...

Was going to name my new toy "Off My Meds" after my adoring ex... Thought she'd take me to court though...

she gets to tell people "I divorced that Sheethead."

she gets to tell people "I divorced that Sheethead."

Much catchier that what I get to say!

Every "Wet Dream" should be sunk on sight.

Really terrible names: I've seen two "Breakin' Wind" out here. And one "Love Mussel". But the worst: "Penetration".

Some I can't quite decide on: Dilligaf = Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

MOF = Mostly Old Farts

AMF = Adios Mutha Fuckers

Best on a Laser: Comfortably Numb

A few months back my brother and I were driving towards the river when we saw a mast where it shouldn't be and at an the angle of closed hauled in 20 knots. We walked over to back side of Marriage Point in Gilchrist Park, we saw a 25 foot US Yachts on the rocks with a hole in her side. A Marine Patrol officer was there making out his report. As I walked around to the stern I saw the name and then announced "Hey, its name is Shoal Queen". The officer dropped his clip board laughing so hard.

Back in the 1980s I sailed against a Capo 26 named "Airgasm."

Don't forget "What the Helm".

Want to shoot something every time I see that.

Coming back from a Saturday race one day we passed a cruiser going the other way named "Popsicle Toes."

Have yet to ever see that boat again and don't want to.

Question: It is bad luck to rename a boat - so I have never renamed a boat I have acquired already named. My current vessel has one of those typical play on words names that would piss off whatever King Neptune you chose to believe in. Her previous two names were more benign and acceptable. Would re-christening invoke the same wrath??? I don't really like the earlier two names much either, but the one UV etched in the gel-coat isn't the worst in the world.

Sure you can rename the boat, but you'll need some booze and a virgin. At least a sailing virgin, anyway.

There used to be a boat on the San Francisco bay called FUJIMO. Fuck you Jane I'm moving Out.. His ex was named Jane..

There used to be a boat on the San Francisco bay called FUJIMO. Fuck you Jane I'm moving Out.. His ex was named Jane..

Whole string of boats by that name, owned by Jerry Schostak.

For my part, the first few big-boats I raced on as a kid were named "Concubine", "Mistress", "Seduction" and "Knockers". Had my mom wondering whether yacht-racing was really a sport she wanted her kid involved in (oh, if only she knew! O_O )

Guy in our marina named his boat after his wife 'Ruth' .

After she passed away he renamed it 'Ruthless'.

There is a Mac 26X here named "Dignity".

Makes me want to cry when I see it.

In Channel Islands harbor we had Aliens ate my Buick and Earth Girls are Easy. The former owner of Aliens named his next boat after his former girlfriend, Psycho Betty.

Posted · Hidden by ShockValue, June 30, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by ShockValue, June 30, 2012 - No reason given

Question: It is bad luck to rename a boat - so I have never renamed a boat I have acquired already named. My current vessel has one of those typical play on words names that would piss off whatever King Neptune you chose to believe in. Her previous two names were more benign and acceptable. Would re-christening invoke the same wrath??? I don't really like the earlier two names much either, but the one UV etched in the gel-coat isn't the worst in the world.

I know superstition is a fun game to play sometimes, but I'd much rather have a boat name that I could enjoy looking at.

In Channel Islands harbor we had Aliens ate my Buick and Earth Girls are Easy. The former owner of Aliens named his next boat after his former girlfriend, Psycho Betty.

RIP, Jimmy. We still miss you...

You're not supposed to rename a boat, paint it green, sail with women on board, or depart on a Friday.

Won a regatta which started on a Friday in a green boat which I had renamed and with a click on board.

We didn't have any bananas though.

Do it!

BTW the chick indirectly went on to cause me much more hassle than the boat did, but that's another story.

RIP, Jimmy. We still miss you...

Second that - killed by a drunk driver after a wet wed - we all lost a great friend

saw a 4ksb anchored of a local beach last weekend...'summer hummer'...

Just a clarification::

I started this thread to bitch about boat names that have dredged up memories of really bad yet catchy tunes that subsequent to seeing those names left me with a totally obnoxious leftover.

Boat names actually do tell us things about the owners of those boats.

I have no problem with those who wish to place a sign on the side of a boat which warns me of that craft's association with someone with whom I would likely prefer not to associate.

My own boat does not leave you singing a hard to forget awful tune but it does probably tell people I am somewhat of an asshole who happens to be old and thinks he can still race.>>

Special thanks to a seat belt company in Germany that manufactures harnesses used by the likes of Nascar, Formula One and Air forces all over the planet

there was a huge motor yacht in Newport on Wednesday that had a terrible name, sadly I don't remember it. If I had that kind of coin I wouldn't put a cheesy name on my boat but I guess some people like to rub it in. Also the smiley face on the side of Ranger pisses me off too.....

What's the consensus on naming boat after wife?

See the Fujimo post on the prior page......

Not worried about that, I already divorced the first wife, who was not worthy of having a boat named after her.

Wife 2.0 is a major upgrade, and definitely a keeper. My first boat bore her name. :)

I started this thread to bitch about boat names that have dredged up memories of really bad yet catchy tunes that subsequent to seeing those names left me with a totally obnoxious leftover.

My own boat does not leave you singing a hard to forget awful tune but it does probably tell people I am somewhat of an asshole who happens to be old and thinks he can still race.>>

Really bad, yet catchy tune? Hard to forget? Aren't those songs called ear worms?

I remember there was this one a while back that was driving all the parents of young kids barking mad. Hardly a day would pass in the cube farm without hearing some adult humming or singing the purple dinosaur song:

i love you

you love me

we're a happy family

with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you

won't you say you love me too

Bet you're reading it in Barney's voice, too, huh? It's just horrible when you can't get it out of your mind, isn't it?

Oh, and here's a pic of the USS Barney, DDG-6, to stay on topic.

2q1gkr4.jpg

Seen in Port Isabel...

Cool Arrow

Hey, that's my dog's name! Black mutt with a tan arrow shape on his butt fur.

He generally lives up to his name.

Saw a Catalina 30 named "Sea Section" today...I don't care if they're a doctor. Terrible name...

I once saw a powerboat (~ 30 foot I/0) named the 'Sea Pussy'. Really. My buddy, who is more charitable than I, figured that English was not the owner's first language.

Bassenthwaite Sailing Club Week prize giving circa 1981 Commodore's wife reading out the winning Enterprise "A glimpse of Uranus, what??????"

Bassenthwaite Sailing Club Week prize giving circa 1981 Commodore's wife reading out the winning Enterprise "A glimpse of Uranus, what??????"

the marine operators used to have trouble with the Cal 36 I did foredeck for, Nimble Lass Worst power boat name ever on a huge one, Lucky Sperm

so despite the topic, heading which boats have been rejected from registering with a yacht club ?

none huh ?

there is one however

Just a clarification::

Boat names actually do tell us things about the owners of those boats.

I have no problem with those who wish to place a sign on the side of a boat which warns me of that craft's association with someone with whom I would likely prefer not to associate.

Special thanks to a seat belt company in Germany that manufactures harnesses used by the likes of Nascar, Formula One and Air forces all over the planet

WEll in that vein - there is one that Mssr Asymptote might recognize the association with..

The tender for this stinkpot was called

Lollipop

The name of the boat?

Shirley's Temple

Owned by the then President of an as yet not public Microsoft named.... Jon Shirley. Gouv - intentional offense to your whole damn state.... His wife was the quintessential rich Texas Bidn'sm'ns wife

Here are a few that make me wonder what the owner was thinking...is that really the best they could do?

Tastes Like Chicken

Partnership

For a summer or two there was a Blue Jay on LIS painted bright yellow, the kids who sailed it where notorious fuck ups, so they named their boat "Urine Trouble"

Old wooden crab boat that works the Upper Chesapeake - guy delights in leaning on the horn at 5 AM as he heads out past our snug little anchorage - "Morning Wood"

Seemed like after the Dead Poets Society there was a rash of Carpe Diems. That one sucked. Big Motor Yacht named Pair a Docs. I kind of like Tastes Like Chicken.