• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DMan

What's Up With The Moon

A friend on mine sent me a picture of the moon, taken last March. It shows Tycho (the distinctive crater with the "rays" coming off it) at about the 3 o'clock position.

I thought Tycho was down around 6 - 7 o'clock, like the pics on this Wiki page:

Tycho

I'm pretty sure the moon appears to have a bit of a wobble, but this seems like it "rotated" almost 90 deg counter clockwise.

All the info on line seems to be Mayan Calendar/End Time/tinfoil helmet stuff.

Anybody got a non-religious explanation?

A friend on mine sent me a picture of the moon, taken last March. It shows Tycho (the distinctive crater with the "rays" coming off it) at about the 3 o'clock position.

Tycho

I'm pretty sure the moon appears to have a bit of a wobble, but this seems like it "rotated" almost 90 deg counter clockwise.

Its you who rotated!

Tycho

Held the camera upside-down.

The position of any feature of the moon on the clock relative to the horizon would depend entirely on latitude, hemisphere and time of day.

Tycho

Held the camera upside-down.

He's slowly working his way through this.............

weed.jpg

Tycho

Just a glitch in the matrix. Ought to be OK again next time you check it.

PB - a few old surfboards is all that's left. You're welcome to ride hood ornament on the antique 10' 6" Greek - Bolen Model, when the 3000 ft. tsunami rolls in.

jc17... holy crap ! cough... cough. It's going to take at least another week to get through that.

After spending a couple hours scouring the interwebs, all I could come up with was tin foil helmet stuff.

That's the strangest part.

However, I did read that the metalized mylar party balloons make a much more comfortable helmet than foil.

Cheers guys... cough..

After spending a couple hours scouring the interwebs, all I could come up with was tin foil helmet stuff.

That's the strangest part.

Honestly, how hard can this be?

Imagine you are standing at the North Pole looking at the full moon. Let's say that Tycho Crater appears to you to be at 6 o'clock.

Now, if someone else were to stand and gaze at the full moon at the same moment from the South Pole, where, on the clock, would Tycho Crater appear to them?

...but the picture I referenced in the OP (showing Tycho at 3 o'clock), and my casual night time observations over the years (where Tycho always seemed to be around 6 ish) were from the same spot on the planet... ie: SoCal.

Imagine you are standing at the North Pole looking at the full moon. Let's say that Tycho Crater appears to you to be at 6 o'clock.

Now, if someone else were to stand and gaze at the full moon at the same moment from the South Pole, where, on the clock, would Tycho Crater appear to them?

6 o'clock. An 8000 mile difference ain't going to make much difference along a 240,000 mile long azimuth.

...but the picture I referenced in the OP (showing Tycho at 3 o'clock), and my casual night time observations over the years (where Tycho always seemed to be around 6 ish) were from the same spot on the planet... ie: SoCal.

And if you're not at a pole, the angle of the moon will appear to change throughout the day. If you are at 45 degrees latitude in the previous example, then at moonrise, Tycho will appear to be at the 4:30 position on the clock, but will change throughout the night to appear at 7:30 on the clock at moonset.

6 o'clock. An 8000 mile difference ain't going to make much difference along a 240,000 mile long azimuth.

If you're standing on your head, maybe.

The key word here is appears -- as in appears to the person standing upright on the surface of the earth -- or, put another way, relative to the horizon -- which is how most people take pictures.

OGR, I get the fact that a particular landmark on the moon will appear to change position.

It was the amount of change that caught my attention.

Orbital dynamics is not my strong suit.

Thanks for your insights.

Hahaha that's a trick question. The Tycho Crater wouldn't be on the clock, it would be on the MOON, ya dumbass.

Hahaha that's a trick question. The Tycho Crater wouldn't be on the clock, it would be on the MOON, ya dumbass.

Hahaha I was thinking over the horizon, but your right, it wouldn`t be on the clock!

Now, if someone else were to stand and gaze at the full moon at the same moment from the South Pole, where, on the clock, at what clock position on the face of the moon would Tycho Crater appear to them?

Hahaha I was thinking over the horizon, but your right, it wouldn`t be on the clock!

Okay, okay, okay, okay, already! :P

You misremembered

PB - a few old surfboards is all that's left. You're welcome to ride hood ornament on the antique 10' 6" Greek - Bolen Model, when the 3000 ft. tsunami rolls in.

:lol:

When da volcano blow I'm gonna ride my 12 foot Laird SUP thank you. More stable and I can bring my beach chair......

But I will take the board, sounds sweet!