Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rocna

Photos: South Georgia Island, [yet more] great pics...

Regulars will remember our photos from Antarctica, Patagonia, and the Falklands from a little while ago.

It’s been promised for a while, and it’s finally here: Peter’s expedition out into the deep South Atlantic, to remote and inhospitable South Georgia.

This is the most extensive write-up and collection of photos that we’ve put online to date. There are over 100 photos spread across nine pages, so put some time aside and enjoy. Online now, follow the link:

www.petersmith.net.nz/photos/south-georgia-1.php

south-georgia-larsen.jpg

Peter and Kiwi Roa were at South Georgia for ten weeks, exploring a world of seafaring history, ruined industry, and of course largely untouched nature and wildlife. Seals, penguins, albatrosses... The island is deep within the Antarctic Convergence and at the limit of attainable expedition cruising. Peter even managed to do a little damage to the boat on both passages. Enjoy the story and photos!

All I can say Craig is WOW!!

Thank you for sharing, but now I am getting no work done this morning as I page through your website.

Thanks Craig, and Peter... Absolutely stunning photos and descriptions, as always...

South Georgia is without question one of the most incredible places I will ever see...

prionisland2.jpg

Thank you for sharing, but now I am getting no work done this morning as I page through your website.

No work for me either, today... Great stuff!!

Gorgeous photos of an obviously beautiful location. Thanks for sharing, mate. Inspirational :)

I'm speechless. That's truly amazing stuff. Thanks for the words and pictures.

Craig and Peter,

What a great adventure Kiwi Roa's and crew is having. All the pictures are incredible and the stories are inspiring but seeing Kiwi Roa up close in those pics is just what the doctor ordered.

Best to you and thanks again.

wow, one of the best I've experienced.

I hate you. I'm going to lose my job. I poured over that website for more than an hour. Spectacular photos. It makes me want to sell my posessions including my wife and kids and sail the world.

I hate you. I'm going to lose my job. I poured over that website for more than an hour. Spectacular photos. It makes me want to sell my posessions including my wife and kids and sail the world.

+1

It's a good thing my cube is at the back of the row where no one ever, ever walks.

What an amazing account. Thanks tons for sharing!

World-class photo journalism! How much I envy you and your crew. Keep up the good work.

mark

Great stuff; the photos make it as if the viewer is there; excellent arm chair tourism.

Thanks for going to that god forsaken end of the world and bring back these amazing images.

And also putting the places into historical context is great, can just imagine those old salts creaking around in the high latitudes in their soggy timber barges, not able to make to weather much and still making all these landfalls and getting away from them.

cheers, Maarten

I am not wasting time at home with this...forwarded the links to work..

TIA....hopefully they are not blocked! :)

Peter Smith = The "Real" Most Interesting Man in the World.

"I don't often drink beer, but when I do, I have a cold one aboard the 52 foot boat I built."

Epic!

Wow, to echo what has been said already, incredible photos! Thanks for posting!

Great to see my home again! I am glad you got to experience the place I lived for 14 months. Lucky for me I will be back next season cruising on a 90 footer. It is hard to take a bad picture.

Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated!

Blue Water Sailing has the print version out now (September issue). Check it out.

That's for the Americans of course, Sailing Today (UK) did their version in the August edition.

Outstanding work! That site hauls ass too. Very nice and clean. Fantastic accounts.

Wow!!! I am beyond impressed.