• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GIULIETTA1

Hey Bob

So my good buddy just boat a used 40' cruising boat. We went sailing last night and the thing wants to turn left the whole time. Feels good on port, but it wants to bare away into a round down on starboard, even up wind in 20 knots!

What are the possible causes of these symptoms?

Thanks.

So my good buddy just boat a used 40' cruising boat. We went sailing last night and the thing wants to turn left the whole time. Feels good on port, but it wants to bare away into a round down on starboard, even up wind in 20 knots!

What are the possible causes of these symptoms?

Thanks.

Take it to P/A..... :lol:

...other than the keel rudder possibly being mis-shaped,or mis-aligned,you might check if the mast is leaning to one side more than the other,simply take the main halyard and measure to a similar point on both gunnels

....that'd be a good start,,,,,,,,try -simple- first! ;)

Maybe getting some people on board who know how to sail might help......

Good luck, obviously something not lined up with something else. Or, sometimes excessive balance in the rudder can do some weird things.

So my good buddy just boat a used 40' cruising boat. We went sailing last night and the thing wants to turn left the whole time.

I think I see the problem: Your good buddy is trying to sail a car. Prolly needs a front-end alignment .

Jim

Does the boat have Obama stickers on it?

Seriously though, sounds like a big problem as said, keel, rudder, mast any or all seriously out of alignment. Mast is easy to see, others, not so much.

Don't forget to check to see if you're dragging some underwater crud/logs/houses portside.

I had that symptom on a boat I owned. Suddenly the boat had serious helm on one tack and neutral helm on the other. The cause ultimately was discovered to be that the rudder (painted with black baltoplate) deformed when it was hauled out and the summer sun hit one side only. We found the foil had a 1/4" deeper chord depth on one side than the other. This was a rudder that had been very carefully templated. Apparently the foam core was saturated and the increase in vapor pressure under heat bulged the foil out.

That chord depth difference caused a tremendous amount of helm. Refaired the foil and everything was fine. Since then, we always cover our rudder on haul out with white plastic. The yard does it as standard practice now.

I had that symptom on a boat I owned. Suddenly the boat had serious helm on one tack and neutral helm on the other. The cause ultimately was discovered to be that the rudder (painted with black baltoplate) deformed when it was hauled out and the summer sun hit one side only. We found the foil had a 1/4" deeper chord depth on one side than the other. This was a rudder that had been very carefully templated. Apparently the foam core was saturated and the increase in vapor pressure under heat bulged the foil out.

That chord depth difference caused a tremendous amount of helm. Refaired the foil and everything was fine. Since then, we always cover our rudder on haul out with white plastic. The yard does it as standard practice now.

.....I'll bet!! ;)

.....I'll bet!! ;)

You should see what happens when you stand a slab door (hollow or solid core) outside, leaning against something, in the hot sun. Great way to make escape hatches for flying saucers......

Might be able to diagnose whether it's above or below the waterline by motoring without sails up. Does it go straight when flat? Then heel it each way. Of course some boats (eg Catalina 30) have monster prop wash on the rudder. Other indicators:

How about Dead Down Wind (heeled - not heeled) under sail on each jibe, etc?

My good buddy just told me about his post...so it is my boat...i want to figure out what is happening, as rounding down on starboard does not feel right.... But it does take maybe 10-15 sec to start tracking other than dead straight.....it is that it then progressively got quicker going down......say Trevor.....are you being harsh on your bro, or me?

biggrin.gif

I will try some motoring tests, as well as dead down when I get a chance....

My good buddy just told me about his post...so it is my boat...i want to figure out what is happening, as rounding down on starboard does not feel right.... But it does take maybe 10-15 sec to start tracking other than dead straight.....it is that it then progressively got quicker going down......say Trevor.....are you being harsh on your bro, or me?

biggrin.gif

My bro AND yours.

Just a suggestion, get going about 5 knots and idle the engine to see how she goes just coasting.

biggrin.gif

Exactly my symptoms. See post a few up. Get going fast enough to center your prop in flat water. Hold the helm center and let it do what it wants. Once the asymmetry takes hold, the rate of turning accelerates.

It's already been suggested to do it in neutral. That's important as you want to elongate eliminate any prop wash impact.