Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hoom

TNZ Launching AC72 next Saturday

All past Olympic gold medalists for New Zealand got asked by the Olympic Commitee to submit messages of support on Facebook.
They forgot one thing.
Russell Coutts won a gold in 1984.
No message of support as of yet...

All past Olympic gold medalists for New Zealand got asked by the Olympic Commitee to submit messages of support on Facebook.

They forgot one thing.

Russell Coutts won a gold in 1984.

No message of support as of yet...

Bit of a cock-up there.

Never mind.

He can offer his congratulations when he hands the Cup over to GD in a day or three. :)

1987 KZ7/2013 ETNZ edition of sailing away video.

Nicely done.

+1 .. That's cool. Prob. seems lame to non-Kiwis, but it sums up why 1/4 of the population is watching this on TV in NZ. Nothing but the AC would have got Crumpy singing in Public.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11125600

Big numbers watching in NZ 1 million viewers tuning in out of 4.5 million is amazing

>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11125600

Big numbers watching in NZ 1 million viewers tuning in out of 4.5 million is amazing

Well they have been able to watch it live from the start without a hack. Maybe if you put it out there LIVE people will watch?

And the timing is perfect for us. Race1 starts at 08:15-NZT, which of course means 99% of all workers would have been late, and the other 1% would not have been doing much work while the races were on. But you are right, watching it live would make a huge difference to attracting eyeballs..

I wonder what the total global audience is.... and what percentage of that figure is in NZ.

http://www.google.com.au/trends/explore?q=America%27s+Cup#q=America%27s%20Cup&cmpt=q

As the total interest has been peaking the percentage interest from the USA has actually been dropping in relative terms.

If you go through the data for this cup you'll find that NZ is the only real source of interest.

I wonder what the total global audience is.... and what percentage of that figure is in NZ.

http://www.google.com.au/trends/explore?q=America%27s+Cup#q=America%27s%20Cup&cmpt=q

As the total interest has been peaking the percentage interest from the USA has actually been dropping in relative terms.

If you go through the data for this cup you'll find that NZ is the only real source of interest.

Thanks Onimod.

I'm glad LE is keeping NZ's maritime industry employed and TV watching populous entertained.

Got to give it to the guy, he has spent a lot of coin all for the benefit of NZ.

I've met Bill Koch, Jim Clark and EB. I wonder where LE sits on the friendliness scale.

BJL

Nicely done.

I want to defect to New Zealand.

Careful there Mariner...the boats may have certainly changed since 87, but in terms of fashion ...its still the same.

Amazing the level of interest in 2007 ! 11 Challengers, with close racing. Much higher numbers than today ?

Careful there Mariner...the boats may have certainly changed since 87, but in terms of fashion ...its still the same.

Fashion? Thats something that happens somewhere else right?

Well, thats a bloody shame really.

Quite surprising that Switzerland is #2 on that list.

Well, thats a bloody shame really.

Quite surprising that Switzerland is #2 on that list.

Not really - everyone knows Ernesto is snaerk.

Bwahahahaa!

Nah, Snaerk is too reasonable and considered for that even if he is a bloody yank! ;)

Nicely done.

not possibel. I thort thay were notabel for milk, not cheez

Looked like they switched back to the smaller main beam fairings with fabric extensions.

did thay freek out from the "wind beneeth there wingz" ?

fabric coud be self- releess, I gess . . (just idol speckyoolayshun)

Looked like they switched back to the smaller main beam fairings with fabric extensions.

did thay freek out from the "wind beneeth there wingz" ?

fabric coud be self- releess, I gess . . (just idol speckyoolayshun)

Good move, what they will be finding is they are getting too much lift to windward and they are having trouble with thier pitch control to get her just skimming. She is actually near flying so it is too hard to keep her in the groove without actually taking off and doing a big launch.

I think she will be easier to control now. (Unless we get back into lighter conditions which she may then switch back to full gear????)

And they're foiling!!!!

Credit of this photo belongs here: http://crew.org.nz/f...20070&start=100

Well the photo is actually mine. Took the shot from North Head Auckland around 4pm Wednesday. Had seen the sail out on the horizon about 3pm. Went home grabbed the camera and headed for North Head.... Have posted more shots to the Anarchy facebook. It has been halarious reading the conspiracy posts lol.

Trip down memory lane.

Big thanks to Vaka for the major scoop of the foiling AC72 off North Head (the one in Indio's profile).

To think that this was just 12 months ago.

post-33465-0-32837500-1379828552_thumb.jpg

Taking stock of the 34th America’s Cup at match point

September 21, 2013

• GMR_AC34SepD18_37611-780x519.jpg
  • GMR_AC34SepD18_37701-780x520.jpg
  • RP_AC34SepD17_461-780x520.jpg

The joke going around the 34th America’s Cup this morning likened the media center to Hotel California, you can check in but you can never check out. While scribes, photogs and TV folk from around the world scramble daily to change their departure plans, today’s postponement of Race 14 offers a chance to take stock of where the match stands.

On the scoreboard its simple: Emirates Team New Zealand needs one win, one bloody win to capture the America’s Cup. ORACLE TEAM USA needs six wins to retain the trophy it won in 2010. Back on Sept. 9, the first scheduled off day of the 34th America’s Cup, we suggested that the longer the series dragged out the better it was for the defender, and that’s proving true.

RELATED STORY: Crazy, compelling racing thrills fans

ORACLE TEAM USA skipper Jimmy Spithill admitted that Emirates Team New Zealand had a speed advantage at the beginning of the match, particularly upwind, but the defender seems to have overcome that advantage. How? There are two converging scenarios.

First, the defender went to school on the Kiwis, who were far ahead in crew maneuvers and outright speed when the match started. The discrepancy between the teams makes one wonder what the defender was doing for four months in its two-boat testing, but that point is moot now. The challenger and defender are dead even in boatspeed, with the edge going to the lead boat, the lead dog. It’s always good to be the lead dog because you can chose your points on the racecourse to cover or sail for a wind shift.

The defender has also smoothed out its crew maneuvers and tactics, and that can be attributed to bringing Ben Ainslie aboard and also going to school on the challenger’s boathandling and tactics. ORACLE TEAM USA bottomed out at 16.8 knots in a tack in Race 12. Conversely, the Kiwis bottomed out at 13.6 knots in a tack. That’s a significant difference in a maneuver, aided by the handling of the daggerfoils.

ORACLE TEAM USA’s jump in boatspeed can’t all be attributed to watching tape of its rival. The AC72 relies on the wing sail to harness the wind and the hydrofoils to propel it through the water. As Artemis Racing design team member Adam May noted last month, “If you want to change the mode of the boat in any way, the foils are the big-ticket item.” ORACLE TEAM USA looks to have a real speed advantage when foiling upwind, as evidenced by the 32 knots boatspeed in 16 knots of wind in Thursday’s Race 12 win. Dockside scuttlebutt suggests the team has changed the angle of attack of the foils and also changed the technique of the wing trim.

RELATED STORY: Kiwis lie in wait as ORACLE TEAM USA tries to find the answer

Dockside scuttlebutt also suggests that the Kiwis have sapped every bit of speed possible from their AC72, but that hasn’t stopped them from looking for more. This week alone the Kiwis have alternately chopped down the fairings on the front crossbeam, added them back the next day and then chopped them down again yesterday.

“At the end of the day there’s a set of forces acting on the boat,” said Kiwi designer Nick Holroyd. “Any time you generate lift there’s a certain amount of drag that comes with it. We’re just looking at those equations and how to generate those forces most efficiently.”

A look at the match stats reveals some interesting numbers. Emirates Team New Zealand has posted the fastest outright speed, 47.02 knots in Race 8, and ORACLE TEAM USA has posted the fastest elapsed time, 21 minutes and 53 seconds, in Race 9 on a 10.02-nautical-mile course. (Note: The course length has varied slightly from race to race, ranging from 9.71 to 10.27 nautical miles.)

Races 4, 10 and 11 rank in the top 10 of closest finishes in America’s Cup Match history, and tomorrow the match will tie the 2003 America’s Cup for longest in history at 16 days.

As time marches on, Emirates Team New Zealand skipper Dean Barker is putting forth a calm front. He and tactician Ray Davies kept reminding everyone at Friday’s press conference that the odds are in their favor to win the America’s Cup; needing just one win to the defender’s six. But if the match extends much longer, the folks at Emirates Team New Zealand might feel like they’ve checked into Hotel California.

—Sean McNeill

And they're foiling!!!!

Well the photo is actually mine. Took the shot from North Head Auckland around 4pm Wednesday. Had seen the sail out on the horizon about 3pm. Went home grabbed the camera and headed for North Head.... Have posted more shots to the Anarchy facebook. It has been halarious reading the conspiracy posts lol.

Trip down memory lane.

Big thanks to Vaka for the major scoop of the foiling AC72 off North Head (the one in Indio's profile).

DUde, come on, can't you tell photoshop? These boats will never foil, and NZ is a clunky turd, and the final won't be anywhere NEAR close.

wuss doesn't answer to the public

only to his conscience

and the purse strings

that is until the purse disagrees with his conscience

then it's off to find a new purse

Is his AC career now over?

Or will he fund a new sucker willing to fatten the bank account?

Sir Russell the vampire!

And they're foiling!!!!

Trip down memory lane.

DUde, come on, can't you tell photoshop? These boats will never foil, and NZ is a clunky turd, and the final won't be anywhere NEAR close.

Really interesting going over pages 14 and 15 when the foiling first became known. Some interesting reaction to stuff that is now standard procedure

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=137078&page=14

is it me, or was it initially one of the benefits that Ray Davies had his head out more of the time than John Kostecki relatively, whereas now the people on Oracle seem to have freed up Ben Ainslie to almost no grinding and 90% of the time looking for tactics against RD having his head out 80% of the time?

There are lots more pics over at Sail World: http://www.sail-world.com/Europe/Americas-Cup:-Emirates-Team-NZs-Foiling-Flypast-on-the-Waitemata/102022

ETNZ is sailing really deep angles, assuming that 4ktsb is pretty much sailing dead downwind (jib and main on opposite sides).

Alt_RG005611.jpg

I will tell you right now that is no 4ktsb I've been on it doing over 20

only to his conscience

and the purse strings

Sir Russell the vampire!

Looks like he wont have to search too far to find employment after winning AC 34 :)

only to his conscience

and the purse strings

Sir Russell the vampire!

Looks like he wont have to search too far to find employment after winning AC 34 :)

Another classic from the recent archives. Not sure LE's bank account got flattened very much, more like pocket change.

only to his conscience

and the purse strings

Sir Russell the vampire!

So after this great prediction, I wonder about some of the other pearls of wisdom we need to examine. While not having the time or energy to searchback, I am sure everybody will remember the numerous "lectures" we had from Te Koote on culture and loyalty, how ETNZ had it right because they remain loyal to their sailors and wouldn't replace them, while any team that replaced sailors was doomed, the other sailors wouldn't perform at their best because of people being replaced etc. etc.

So, I wonder how he would explain the impact of replacing JK with BA. Oh the treachery, oh the lack of team culture and where was the loyalty. I guess that should have been the moment when OR fell apart.

only to his conscience

and the purse strings

Sir Russell the vampire!

So after this great prediction, I wonder about some of the other pearls of wisdom we need to examine. While not having the time or energy to searchback, I am sure everybody will remember the numerous "lectures" we had from Te Koote on culture and loyalty, how ETNZ had it right because they remain loyal to their sailors and wouldn't replace them, while any team that replaced sailors was doomed, the other sailors wouldn't perform at their best because of people being replaced etc. etc.

So, I wonder how he would explain the impact of replacing JK with BA. Oh the treachery, oh the lack of team culture and where was the loyalty. I guess that should have been the moment when OR fell apart.

AC34 is a clear example of the fact that you can put the nutty professor's understanding of team dynamics in a thimble and it would be the same as dropping a golf ball into the Grand Canyon.

Interesting that after parroting all of grumpy's highly polarized and negative opinions of AC34, grumpy has apparently done a complete 180 degree turn with AC35, at least to date, leaving three years worth of shill posts high and dry on a rock. At least he has some company with anyone he sucked in.

He has an abnormally inflated opinion of himself to think he can speak for entire countries. I suspect he gets nosebleeds and needs an oxygen mask every time he crawls out of his cave in China and gets behind his podium. He's also pretty stupid to think others don't recognize his sock puppets despite going to great extremes to mask the identity of Hastings and Kia Ora.

He really should go into politics where he belongs, shaking hands, kissing babies and telling lies to the gullible and uneducated who might believe his BS.

After having a paper rejected from a conference in the US some 40 years ago, he is still carrying the baggage around today. That should tell you something about his real character. What they say about people that can't "do" is very true, they teach. Tsk tsk. :)

^ Yes, GD has made some remarkable statements, even seemingly enlightened ones in the wake of AC34, but the fresh blood he's talking about introducing still are NZ bred and he would still press for a very strict nationality rule (like TK too), and my guess is that like GD challenging 'Hey if you can too me then put your hand up' he would put up the same challenge wrt Deano.

I don't actually think anyone can or will beat out either GD or DB for CEO and Helm in AC35.

That doesn't make TK brilliant, just sayin' he may be correct on that narrow scope.

^ Yes, GD has made some remarkable statements, even seemingly enlightened ones, but the fresh blood he's talking about introducing still are NZ bred and he would still press for a very strict nationality rule (like TK too), and my guess is that like him challenging 'Hey if you can too me then put your up' he would put up the same challenge wrt Deano.

I don't actually think anyone can or will beat out either GD or DB for CEO and Helm in AC35.

That doesn't make TK brilliant, just sayin' he may be correct on that narrow scope.

DB was far from infallible in the AC45's, and maybe one of the facebook generation will have sufficient time to prep and give him a strong run for his money.

In terms of grumpy, it appears he is morphing his autocratic style into one of best practices and consensus, which is the exact opposite of what TK has preached for the last three years. In that respect, he's dead wrong if what grumpy is now saying is true.

only to his conscience

and the purse strings

Sir Russell the vampire!

Interesting. For me, this was precisely the moment when OTUSA began its ascendancy. It seems to me that maybe JK was full of doom and gloom and probably ready to capitulate, if he had not already done so (and really, who could blame him at that point?). But JS wasn't having any of it. That opened the door for formidable JS/BA/TS partnership. And the rest as they say is history.

only to his conscience

and the purse strings

Sir Russell the vampire!

Interesting. For me, this was precisely the moment when OTUSA began its ascendancy. It seems to me that maybe JK was full of doom and gloom and probably ready to capitulate, if he had not already done so (and really, who could blame him at that point?). But JS wasn't having any of it. That opened the door for formidable JS/BA/TS partnership. And the rest as they say is history.

Without question you are probably one of the most respected stand-out kiwi posters of the competitors on this forum.

Hat's off to you - would invite you into GGYC and buy you a beer or three anytime during AC35 - hopefully you can make it over here and the offer stands.

The same stands for Mericat - total stand up guy that I introduced to Marcus Young during his visit and enjoyed a beer with.

TK is a nutcase, we already all know that :)

SR, please don't mix up opinions and personnalities. I don't have his political opinions, but I enjoyed the man and respect his knowledge.

A first class nut job. How he presents himself in person is only an indication of his political character, just like you :)

SR, please don't mix up opinions and personnalities. I don't have his political opinions, but I enjoyed the man and respect his knowledge.

A first class nut job. How he presents himself in person is only an indication of his political character, just like you :)

The comment is not for you, who did not have to balls to meet any of us in SF, but to SR.

The comment is not for you, who did not have to balls to meet any of us in SF, but to SR.

And the response is for you :)

You're being there is enough of a reason to not drive over to SF :)

More on RC (and partners maybe?) investing in NZ property.

Farming move by Coutts

America's Cup yachtsman Sir Russell Coutts has branched out into farming, buying a 265ha Omakau dairy property. Sources in the Manuherikia Valley told the Otago Daily Times Coutts recently paid $14 million for the farm, which straddles State Highway 85 and the Manuherikia River.

I hope the kiwi critters don't hold any grudges.

If they are anything like the ET fan boys here, RC can expect lots of sour milk.

That suggestion is just udderly ridiculous.

+1

Do you ever stop being a fuckwit aldo!?...

If they are anything like the ET fan boys here, RC can expect lots of sour milk.

+1

It was a joke, witfuck.

More on RC (and partners maybe?) investing in NZ property.

Farming move by Coutts

America's Cup yachtsman Sir Russell Coutts has branched out into farming, buying a 265ha Omakau dairy property. Sources in the Manuherikia Valley told the Otago Daily Times Coutts recently paid $14 million for the farm, which straddles State Highway 85 and the Manuherikia River.

He must have read here on SA how NZ controls the world dairy supply. Or he just wants to be near his biggest fan 'Yanking his American doodle'.

+1

It was a joke, witfuck.

ROFLMAO!

+1

It was a joke, witfuck.

Either way, my question still stands...;-)

+1

It was a joke, witfuck.

Either way, my question still stands...;-)

Only when I sleep.

Amazing the level of interest in 2007 ! 11 Challengers, with close racing. Much higher numbers than today ?

Probably time to correct this as well. :)

Amazing the much higher level of interest in 2013 with only three challengers and close racing in the finals.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=americas%20cup&cmpt=geo

Whatever happens yet, one thing's for sure already: remember that nice piece by Rod Davies on SH about dezinformatsyia in the Cup? Well, in AC34 the prize for best head fake by far goes to ...

< drumroll >

... GD - who accused OR of having designed a "September boat", while poor challengers had to contend with much tougher August conditions. Of course, turns out NZA is the supreme September boat, while OR2 is - comparatively - more all-round :)

Kiwi Jon also pushed the OR "September" boat issue :)

Another sheeple lead astray with the rest of the flock.

Amazing the much higher level of interest in 2013 with only three challengers and close racing in the finals.

Finally, something we can agree on!

Finally, something we can agree on!

I can think of something else but Bill R doesn't think it should be mentioned any longer. :)

Not much in it at least yet, but there are a few new entries at this site by ETNZ designer Nick Hutchins. Nick was also in

at around 1:10.

http://www.nickhutchins.net/home/

example:

It was a case of anything goes for fairings on the AC72, anything inside the extents of the yacht and under 2.6m from waterline. But where to start? Well… everywhere of course! An algorithm searched the entire box looking for areas where a lifting surface would provide force in the right direction without it’s mirror undoing all the good work. Once areas of potential were found the RANS code optimisation of the design and we had… pie warmers – as they affectionately became known. With vertical fins to provide lift and drive and a top plate to improve span efficiency.

Looks like ETNZ are on the ball with their personnel signings...Glenn Ashby has confirmed he's signed with the team and also that he was approached by HIYC...

Some Christmas presents for ETNZ have arrived in front of their base. Check out the Wynyard webcam or Rockstar's facebook page.

My thoughts: Why ship them to base unless you plan on re-using? If you wanted to get rid of them, you'd have shipped to Cooksons for stripping or sold them in SF?

It seems obvious that they will be using a similar platform but in a different size, so the existing boats are probably excellent for testing new concepts for the new boats. Same as the 33's they originally used.

No tabloid s#it for a change:

<<Winning off the water
(...)
In the last campaign, the team needed more than 130,000 hours of outsourced labour; using 13 machine and fabrication shops in New Zealand to make custom parts.

In an America’s Cup year, our marine industry enjoys an upswing in business – whether from a direct involvement with a Cup team, or profiting from the Kiwis’ reputation for design excellence.

But could we do it better? The concept of a marine centre of excellence has been floated around the Auckland waterfront.

(more)>>