• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sailsandsales

Finn sailing in western NY?

12 posts in this topic

So the NA Finn page sucks to navigate. I couldn't find a regatta schedule anywhere. I'm kicking around the idea of buying a used finn. I'm wondering what clubs around the area have them that I could race it a few times a year. I can't really afford to campaign it hard... I'm pretty committed to my thistle program. I'm just looking for something to practice in by my self, to sail when there is no fleet racing at our club, and something that's international in case I ever get the itch to travel over seas to sail.

Thanks!

There are a couple of boats in Rochester, and a HUGE fleet outside of Syracuse at Willowbanks YC in Casenovia, home of the Toilet Bowl regatta.

There are a couple of boats in Rochester, and a HUGE fleet outside of Syracuse at Willowbanks YC in Casenovia, home of the Toilet Bowl regatta.

REALLY??

Good time to get in the class. Lots of young blood in Toronto. About 8 boats. The toilet bowl at willow bank yc is a great stop. We now have 2 in Ottawa. Rob medenhallmin in Rochester has a couple. There is a good 98 devoti for sale in Toronto that would be a great start. Agree with you that the website sucks.

Access to decent boats and masts is a challenge on the east coast. If there's a good Devoti on the market I would jump on it if i were you. I have an older Vanguard that i kick around on the lake (montreal), but would like to eventually upgrade if the fleet becomes more robust in the east.

Thanks for the input guys!!! I actually just talked to my friend who has 2 and I'm going to borrow/barter one of his finns for the summer!!! We'll see how it goes. I'm expecting to swim a bit, and learn a thing or 2 about hiking. I'm really excited though. If I'm correct, with the really big sail and the really small centerboard I'll have to put more priority on keeping the boat depowered, on her feet, and driving which will REALLY help me out with my thistle. I'm bummed that they changed the dates for the toilet bowl. I'm out of town that weekend for another event.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the input guys!!! I actually just talked to my friend who has 2 and I'm going to borrow/barter one of his finns for the summer!!! We'll see how it goes. I'm expecting to swim a bit, and learn a thing or 2 about hiking. I'm really excited though. If I'm correct, with the really big sail and the really small centerboard I'll have to put more priority on keeping the boat depowered, on her feet, and driving which will REALLY help me out with my thistle. I'm bummed that they changed the dates for the toilet bowl. I'm out of town that weekend for another event.

Thanks again!

Are your friend's initials RM by any chance?

Thanks again!

Ricky Martin?

Thanks again!

Ricky Martin?

Robert Mendenhall?

Thanks again!

Ricky Martin?

Robert Mendenhall?

Randy Moss? ;-)