Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck D.

Mass Shooting in Aurora CO

At least 14 people were killed and 50 were wounded when a gunman opened fire during an early Friday morning screening of the new Batman movie at an Aurora, Colorado, theater, Police Chief Dan Oates told reporters.

And some news does. 14 human beings murdered in a movie theater, and at least 50 others shot, and you're response is link to stories suggesting guns are good. M'kay.

At least 14 people were killed and 50 were wounded when a gunman opened fire during an early Friday morning screening of the new Batman movie at an Aurora, Colorado, theater, Police Chief Dan Oates told reporters.

I think its absolutely abhorrent that someone would do such a thing. I think we should ban people from killing each other!

And some news does. 14 human beings murdered in a movie theater, and at least 50 others shot, and you're response is link to stories suggesting guns are good. M'kay.

You have to learn the other side of the story someplace, and from what I can tell, it's not going to be from news sources you follow. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Land_fire

Evil exists in the world, and people who are determined to do evil will reach for whatever tools are available. I believe our time would be better spent looking at what causes people to commit horrific and evil acts so that they could be better prevented regardless of what tools the potential perpetrators might have chosen.

I think its absolutely abhorrent that someone would do such a thing. I think we should ban people from killing each other!

Well, 'Thou shalt not kill' hasn't had much effect. It should probably be written as a 3000 page bill that nobody reads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Land_fire

Evil exists in the world, and people who are determined to do evil will reach for whatever tools are available. I believe our time would be better spent looking at what causes people to commit horrific and evil acts so that they could be better prevented regardless of what tools the potential perpetrators might have chosen.

Sure, though it's a lot easier, more convenient, to blame an inanimate object than it is to address behaveiour.

Easy accessibility and less than nonexistent screening of gun buyers pretty much assures these stories will only continue. Would one of these freedom loving whack jobs please walk into Congress and give them a good incentive to legislate?

You have to learn the other side of the story someplace, and from what I can tell, it's not going to be from news sources you follow. :P

Anecdotal stories of people using firearms to defend themselves are fairly commonplace. For me, they don't do counter the all too frequent news of the body counts that are the price we pay for our obsession with guns and violence.

Easy accessibility and less than nonexistent screening of gun buyers pretty much assures these stories will only continue. Would one of these freedom loving whack jobs please walk into Congress and give them a good incentive to legislate?

I think the Puerto Ricans tried that in the 50s. You know, the other lone star flag.

And nor do anecdotal stories of assholes breaking laws with guns and hurting people counter reports of legitimate self defense. The point here is that this "all too frequent news" is so one-sided as to lead otherwise intelligent persons to assume that correlation = causality.

Anecdotal stories of people using firearms to defend themselves are fairly commonplace. For me, they don't do counter the all too frequent news of the body counts that are the price we pay for our obsession with guns and violence.

THAT is the problem you wanta tackle, Chuck - the preponderance to answer problems w/violent means. Not an easy job - but, addressing things that are tangential won't fix it.

And nor do anecdotal stories of assholes breaking laws with guns and hurting people counter reports of legitimate self defense. The point here is that this "all too frequent news" is so one-sided as to lead otherwise intelligent persons to assume that correlation = causality.

Are you attempting to argue that the practically-speaking free and easy access to guns is not a proximate cause of gun violence, and that in this case the legal access to assault weapons (as used in this incident) can not be legitimately identified as the cause-in-fact of the magnitude of this massacre? If so, I think you are wrong.

"Less than non-existant screening"? Really? Have you bought a gun recently?

I would ask you what kind of screening you would want there to be that would have stopped this, but I doubt I'll get a coherent answer from you.

This might be interesting from CNN):

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents have searched the suspect's car and went to his home to search for explosives, agency spokesman Tom Mangan said. They also are conducting emergency traces on the weapons used to see how they were obtained, he said.

I suspect if he aquired the guns illegally, you won't hear a peep from the BATF or the media. If however, the perp owned them legally - expect it to be big news.

THAT is the problem you wanta tackle, Chuck - the preponderance to answer problems w/violent means. Not an easy job - but, addressing things that are tangential won't fix it.

Sure.

And for those who want to jump to some false dichotomy, please note that I'm not arguing for banning guns, and never have. But I do think it is time for folks to quit pretending that the ready access to significant firepower is a legitimate means of protecting us from tyranny. I'll take your AK-47, and raise you an AH-64.

Yep, I doubt you'll get an answer from chuckles on that either. He is only obsessed about the tools.

Yep, I doubt you'll get an answer from chuckles on that either. He is only obsessed about the tools.

pool-dive-fail.gif

And for those who want to jump to some false dichotomy, please note that I'm not arguing for banning guns, and never have. But I do think it is time for folks to quit pretending that the ready access to significant firepower is a legitimate means of protecting us from tyranny. I'll take your AK-47, and raise you an AH-64.

What ARE you arguing for then?

Eschewing the bullshit, the propaganda, and the manipulations that only serve the interests of others and instead facing the facts head on. Same as ever.

Eschewing the bullshit, the propaganda, and the manipulations that only serve the interests of others and instead facing the facts head on. Same as ever.

Ok that would be a good start. Can you be more specific?

We really should not talk about this.

Guns don't kill people.

Let's talk about mental health and how we can make CERTAIN that 310+ million people are perfectly healthy and don't get angry or warped. cool.gif

Figure 100-200 rounds fired. If ammo cost $10 a piece he'd probably have fired less. Regardless this sucks. Mass shootings in Toronto, bama and now Colorado wtf is wrong with people?

If only all the patrons were armed, this may have been able to be stopped at about 10 dead. Instead, you have innocent people being slaughtered. We need to make sure many more people are armed. Maybe they can sell ammo with the buttered popcorn?

There's a constitutional right to own, carry, and use guns, all guns. End of story. Some are going to fall into the hands of bad people. Let's learn to deal with the consequences. One might start with a vigorous campaign to increase the presence of firearms in public places, so this kind of thing gets stopped faster.

That is a very stupid idea the last thing we need in more guns on the street. Six armed police were at the theatre and they couldn't stop him. The police hq was less than a mile away but he went on for 15-20 minutes

Dude was wearing body armor and a gas mask. I don't know if those are legal to sell to civilians but they shouldn't be

Guy had four guns. I think we can all agree that no one should have more than 2

I don't think anyone agree with that one. Maybe you can limit it at 50?

Look, we obviously have a problem with white men in this country. We need to check their papers more carefully.

Once again I find some wonderful, marvelous irony coming from those who would decry gun violence against sheeple lined up to see a Batman vs Bane movie.

You are correct. They deserved it. Especially the 3 month old. Any parent who would take their teens to see such a movie clearly deserves a bullet.

"Less than non-existant screening"? Really? Have you bought a gun recently?

I would ask you what kind of screening you would want there to be that would have stopped this, but I doubt I'll get a coherent answer from you.

This might be interesting from CNN):

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents have searched the suspect's car and went to his home to search for explosives, agency spokesman Tom Mangan said. They also are conducting emergency traces on the weapons used to see how they were obtained, he said.

I suspect if he aquired the guns illegally, you won't hear a peep from the BATF or the media. If however, the perp owned them legally - expect it to be big news.

My 21yo son just bought a Glock 9mm and said the screening was a joke.

Once again I find some wonderful, marvelous irony coming from those who would decry gun violence against sheeple lined up to see a Batman vs Bane movie.

Excellent point. Irony is so..... ironic.

I'm not surprised. The adoration of shoot em up movies is consistent with our culture of guns and death. Also explains why America was never said no to war...

There's a constitutional right to own, carry, and use guns, all guns. End of story. Some are going to fall into the hands of bad people. Let's learn to deal with the consequences. One might start with a vigorous campaign to increase the presence of firearms in public places, so this kind of thing gets stopped faster.

We could also use some taste to stop glorifying thuggery, even if it's by the 'good' guys.

Ice T could have written something other than 'Cop Killer' to protest police violence but, that would take soul and love, not hate.

I'll defend his right to say what he wants but, that's some ugly shit getting put out there.

Also explains why America was never said no to war...

Yeah, its a good thing we have a democRAT in the WH who says no to war......

You are correct. They deserved it. Especially the 3 month old. Any parent who would take their teens to see such a movie clearly deserves a bullet.

And you are so fucking stupid, I just watched the first Batman movie on teevee and all I want to do is go down into the gunroom and grab some firepower and come and shoot you and all your stupid fucking family.

Any idiot can clearly see that the Obama Administration is behind this, to muster support for taking away our guns and nixing the Second Amendment, which are Obama's secret priorities.

Like John Lennon said..."Imagine"!

Figure 100-200 rounds fired. If ammo cost $10 a piece he'd probably have fired less. Regardless this sucks. Mass shootings in Toronto, bama and now Colorado wtf is wrong with people?

you really figure that someone that demented and hell bent on his plan is gonna be put off by the price of buying legal ammo??

Dude was wearing body armor and a gas mask. I don't know if those are legal to sell to civilians but they shouldn't be

What ever happened to freedom? Surely the citizens of the US should be allowed to protect themselves.

you really figure that someone that demented and hell bent on his plan is gonna be put off by the price of buying legal ammo??

Yeah I do...

Tragedy. Just found out from this thread. Some friends at work were going to see that movie in Aurora.

Gotta say, the response in this thread to Chuck's news should be more lament and sadness, less political. Even in PA, sometimes the politics can wait.

14 people, presumably just wanted to see Batman. Was it a gang shooting? They're getting big in Aurora.

Just read Ed's note, it was some political madman. This world sucks sometimes.

One girl who died was at scene of mass shooting in Toronto and avoided getting shot by getting a burger instead of sushi. Tweeted that she made her boyfriend take her to the midnight showing.

Sad....

Connect the dots.

Rush Limbaugh comes out against the Batman movie because the villain is Bane. He incites his minions to hate democrats and the movie on his radio show. A nut job teabagger takes matters into his own hands.

I see he's only 24 a little young to be a tea tea party dude

He must have been one really angry white guy....

Why did he say it was a joke? Does he have a criminal record? Is there something else that would disqualify him from purchasing a firearm? If so, yes it is a joke. If not, the screening works as intended.

FL

No ones said it but I think we can all agree to place the victims and their families foremost in our thoughts and prayers..

When the MSM gives national exposure to a bus crash that kills 14 people and injures 50, yet not to single fatality car crashes, it does not infer a political stand on the legality of buses.

A shame the asshole didn't off himself...

I disagree. We need to analyze him. What would cause someone to snap like this. There's lots to learn from him.

Connect the dots.

Rush Limbaugh comes out against the Batman movie because the villain is Bane. He incites his minions to hate democrats and the movie on his radio show. A nut job teabagger takes matters into his own hands.

That explains it.

Why did he say it was a joke? Does he have a criminal record? Is there something else that would disqualify him from purchasing a firearm? If so, yes it is a joke. If not, the screening works as intended.

FL

Having a Fed background check done on a prospective gun buyer is a joke?......

When the MSM gives national exposure to a bus crash that kills 14 people and injures 50, yet not to single fatality car crashes, it does not infer a political stand on the legality of buses.

Posting it in PA means it's political for some reason or other, doesn't it? It seems from his responses that my inference about Chuck's political position on this tragedy was correct.

Posting it in GA would have gotten a response more along the lines of Bull Gator's above.

Any news that this guy was on anti-depressants or some other prescribed psychoactive?

It will come out.

One telling thing is his mother immediately knew her son was involved. So there were indications he was a ticking time bomb. Membership in the tea party is the first indicator.

Connect the dots.

That explains it.

Not quite----Craigy-poo hasn't yet chimed in on how this can be traced back to tax breaks for the rich, Fox News, Ronnie & Ollie, and eventually, Caligula....

Connect the dots.

Or

An nut job OWSer is distressed about the way his movement is portrayed and takes matters into his own hands.

Any news that this guy was on anti-depressants or some other prescribed psychoactive?

It will come out.

One telling thing is his mother immediately knew her son was involved. So there were indications he was a ticking time bomb. Membership in the tea party is the first indicator.

Jfc.....

Update----FBI says this douche-fuks apartment is booby trapped.......

And his Mom was just quoted as saying 'I immediately knew it was my son.'

Mental health issues much?.....

Not quite----Craigy-poo hasn't yet chimed in on how this can be traced back to tax breaks for the rich, Fox News, Ronnie & Ollie, and eventually, Caligula....

Ronnie would probably be for some kinds of gun control after he was shot....and his Press Sec laid to waste.

Based on his and Ollies history, they would only be for unlimited guns in the hands of right wingers. It would be inconvenient for "the people" to have as many.

I blame this on video games.

The tea party connection is a fucking reach...for now. That is a very common name. Shame on whoever "reported" that.

Just like McVeigh destroyed the militia movement, this guy could take down the Tea Party.

Great to know your reaction time isn't failing you.

Just like McVeigh destroyed the militia movement, this guy could take down the Tea Party.

Really? Just like that fag-pimping whore-house running Barney Frank guy took down the Democratic party?....

Maybe you should cool your jets on this shit until the bodies cool off.

Really? Just like that fag-pimping whore-house running Barney Frank guy took down the Democratic party?....

Its been a tough year for you, hasn't it Rick.

Posting it in PA means it's political for some reason or other, doesn't it? It seems from his responses that my inference about Chuck's political position on this tragedy was correct.

Posting it in GA would have gotten a response more along the lines of Bull Gator's above.

I incorrectly took your post as a comment on media coverage rather than how you now obviously meant it.

My apologies.

Its been a tough year for you, hasn't it Rick.

Depends on if you can tell the class how many card-carrying T Party members have committed murder?....

Maybe you should cool your jets on this shit until the bodies cool off.

Your probably right. I'll focus on Romney's tax returns.

Silly

"Furthermore, the James Holmes for whom records were obtained by Breitbart News registered as a Democrat on June 14, 2011"

Of course, the TP has bragged since the start that it consists of dems and independents as well as the GOP.

Wait it out a bit. Obviously the guy is deranged. Quite obviously the 24/7/365 rants on radio and the web egg some of these folks on, but there is no way to stop that.

It's a mental health issue. Since Boothy and friends want unlimited assault rifles, ammo and unobtrusive background checks (with gun show and private sale loopholes), there is nothing we can do about all this except avoid being in public. That's why Boothy moved to bumfuck Florida. Follow him.

FL

This question addressed to me?

He purchased the Glock so I assume he passed the back ground check. If he has a criminal back ground, under age, illegal alien, etc,.. then it would be a joke. I'll bet Tejanos son had a clean record and walked out with his new Glock. That is the way its supposed to work.

FL

Are you really going to claim that you oppose whores?

Silly

"Furthermore, the James Holmes for whom records were obtained by Breitbart News registered as a Democrat on June 14, 2011"

Of course, the TP has bragged since the start that it consists of dems and independents as well as the GOP.

Wait it out a bit. Obviously the guy is deranged. Quite obviously the 24/7/365 rants on radio and the web egg some of these folks on, but there is no way to stop that.

It's a mental health issue. Since Boothy and friends want unlimited assault rifles, ammo and unobtrusive background checks (with gun show and private sale loopholes), there is nothing we can do about all this except avoid being in public. That's why Boothy moved to bumfuck Florida. Follow him.

I'm fucking serious, you REALLY need to shut the fuck up, you ignorant cunt....

FL

He purchased the Glock so I assume he passed the back ground check. If he has a criminal back ground, under age, illegal alien, etc,.. then it would be a joke. I'll bet Tejanos son had a clean record and walked out with his new Glock. That is the way its supposed to work.

FL

Exactly.....

What shocks me more is that there was not a single person in that theater with a CC permit, who was carrying at the time. Yes, there would've been confusing as to who was shooting who, et cetera. But I guarantee you that if just one other person with a gun was there, it would've slowed down Holmes and the death toll would be a lot less than it is. Regardless of the fact he was wearing a vest.

What shocks me more is that there was not a single person in that theater with a CC permit, who was carrying at the time. Yes, there would've been confusing as to who was shooting who, et cetera. But I guarantee you that if just one other person with a gun was there, it would've slowed down Holmes and the death toll would be a lot less than it is. Regardless of the fact he was wearing a vest.

Mostly teens and young 20'ers?....

Why would you assume no one in the theatre was carrying? I know that part of town, trust me, i'm sure there were quite a few guns in that theatre. There's a big gang problem in that part of town.

FL

FL

Exactly.....

Well we know it is an election year and we know CO is a swing state - which is why Obama was woken up so he could issue a statement. It also is why the media covered his campaign rally live this morning.

Very touching speech, but from a private room would have been better. The fuck head supporters of his made it pretty clear that they didn't give a shit or care about the shootings. Even when he called for silence some assholes had to scream out during the quiet.

How is this a national tragedy? Tragedy yes National not so much. I guess he is following Rahm's advice never let one go to waste.

I agree with you Mr President my thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families to bad you had to tell the American people that at a campaign rally. Next time get a room....

You are monumentally stupid. There were 6 armed police on premise the police hq was less than a mile from the theatre.

The shooting went on for 15-20 minutes while a swat team was in place Trained armed police couldn't do a thing to stop him.

Mostly teens and young 20'ers?....

Yes, the demographic for that movie would bring that kind of audience, but it is Colorado. Rationally, I'd like to think there would be a least one older man carrying who went to that premiere. I don't see why that's so far fetched.

Why would you assume no one in the theatre was carrying? I know that part of town, trust me, i'm sure there were quite a few guns in that theatre. There's a big gang problem in that part of town.

I'll take your word for it, but do you really thing that the average "gangbanger" would use their weapon responsibly to subdue someone who opened fire on a crowd of clapping movie-goers? Probably not, they probaby got the fuck out of Dodge.

You are monumentally stupid. There were 6 armed police on premise the police hq was less than a mile from the theatre.

The shooting went on for 15-20 minutes while a swat team was in place Trained armed police couldn't do a thing to stop him.

Got a cite for that or is it from one of your "private sources"

And why's that? If you're so informed, tell me why a SWAT team couldn't do anything to subdue this guy. Was it because of the tear gas? Are the SWAT teams in Colorado not prepared enough to handle that sort of situation?

You're pretty much telling everyone, it was the right thing to do to let this maniac take his victims. Moronic.

I'll take your word for it, but do you really thing that the average "gangbanger" would use their weapon responsibly to subdue someone who opened fire on a crowd of clapping movie-goers? Probably not, they probaby got the fuck out of Dodge.

I would think a gangbanger would be pretty quick to return fire as they would probably think it was a hit by a rival. Probably quicker than some old fart.