Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TomTom

BARF is Barking

OK, Ben Ainsley now has really done it - he is a fucking idiot and not a tribute to sailing with his pumped up charges. In todays Olympic race he was called out by 2 competitors (danish and dutch) that he had hit the mark and should make a penalty turn.

He said that this was a "ganging up", he "didn't have a choice but to do a penalty turn else it was 2 to 1", the other guys "would be sorry to have made him mad, and they "better watch out". He was "used to it on the olympics" and "they will be sorry" and ".....

The danish guy simply said, "I don't call out unless I am sure". Didn't hear from the dutch guy on my tv coverage.

Regardless of the truth of the story: his reaction is supreme twattishness. This is not what I expect of any sports person, let alone a sailor, let alone a Brit.

Obviously he is very frustrated that a danish guy is sailing better in His home waters in His home Olympics in His boat that He is Destined to Win!! (you may all sing "all hail Ben, all hail Ben") and His skills to sail boats very fast has gone to his head. What a twat.

Won't be supporting him, but I guess OR will still call him "one of Best Sailors in the World" (and not a hint of twattishness.....)

Ainslie is just becoming the John McEnroe of sailing. Rants like his help bring attention to the sport.

Besides, there is probably alot of money involved for Ainslie - he probably has a performance schedule from his sponsors, so obviously he wants the Gold in the worst way, for both ego and financial reasons.

Truth be told, we need more characters like him, especially if this is to become a TV sport.

that would work

as would a microphone with a timer to record the "tock" of a hull strike

Yep, BA created an uncomfortable situation. Let's hope that sailing and skill instead of ranting head games still wins this thing / be that BA or whoever's pure sailing skill.

How about ill-tempered sea bass with frickin' laser beams on their heads.

Love this....

Yep, BA created an uncomfortable situation. Let's hope that sailing and skill instead of ranting head games still wins this thing / be that BA or whoever's pure sailing skill.

No no no...a thousands times NO!!!! Ainslie did not do anything wrong. It's those bad low country sailors who actually sailed pretty well and stole his spot light for a moment. It's all their fault.

Ben should have been allowed to win every race. Everyone should have deferred to him. He is the best sailor, and soon to sail the fastest boat.

He doesn't often sail for fun, but when he does, he drinks Dos Equis while the sea parts before him.

Stay angry my friend.

No no no...a thousands times NO!!!! Ainslie did not do anything wrong. It's those bad low country sailors who actually sailed pretty well and stole his spot light for a moment. It's all their fault.

Ben should have been allowed to win every race. Everyone should have deferred to him. He is the best sailor, and soon to sail the fastest boat.

He doesn't often sail for fun, but when he does, he drinks Dos Equis while the sea parts before him.

Stay angry my friend.

really good work PH

The interesting thing about this story is that none of the on the water spectators saw Ben touch the mark while some have said they didn't believe he did. The only ones who did see anything were the the dutch and dane, who I believe are training partners. The charitable view is that they saw a movement of the mark that looked like he touched it, but as this isn't the first time Ben has been subjected to this sort of thing, it's not at all surprising he is a bit sensitive about it. Then consider what the Dane has been saying about Ben in interviews, including that he will do everything he can to ensure that Ben doesn't win gold and equal Elvstrom's record because he doesn't think Ben is worthy of it. By making his accusations this public, all eyes will be on what happens in the Finns and there is little chance of anybody trying anything underhand for the rest of the regatta. Pretty smart of Ben really.

And it isn't just paranoia. There have been a number of cases over the last few Olympics of far from sportsman like behavior in an attempt to prevent a Brit getting a medal. Besides the well know one on Ben in the first race last time, where a Frenchman got him DSQ'ed based on evidence that was later shown in video to be totally wrong, there are cases of other Brits being deliberately screwed by unsportsmanlike conduct. Nick Rogers lost a medal in the last race of the 2000 Olympics when he finished in a position to win bronze and the only person who could beat him was 1 place off where he needed to be with 200 metres to go, only to have the boat in front deliberately slow until the eventual bronze winner had gone past. In 2004, Goody had somebody deliberately cover him during the first 2 races, until an official had a word with the coach of the offending party. Even going back to the 1970's in teh FD's, 2 times gold winner Rodney Patterson was covered in the first 2 races by the Russian finishing well down the fleet, again until words were had and once it stopped, Patterson was never out of the top 3. It cost him gold.

For whatever reason, some people out there don't like the Poms, particularly in sailing and probably because they are so succesful. Some of the posts above hint at that. Well, Ben had the perfect answer yesterday, losing 70 metres doing his turn and still overtaking the Dane. In fact, his performance yesterday was pretty special, seeing the pressure he was under. The start in the first race was about as big a statement as he could make and I doubt anybody else in his position would have dared to try it. Pretty good response to the bullshit interviews the Dane had been giving and to articles like that on the front page. There has been so much in the press (not British) about the sailors under performing yet yesterday was a pretty amazing display - Ben bossed the Finns, Perc and Bart did the Stars, Stevie and Ben the 49ers with Stu and Luke ruling the 470's. Still a long way to go, but I doubt anybody in team GBR cares what people think of them. They will simply try to get it done on the water.

So when is Ben replacing Loick on BPV ? or would that fast boat be Hydroptere perhaps? B)

So when is Ben replacing Loick on BPV ? or would that fast boat be Hydroptere perhaps? B)

No. Those are all an illusion. BPV did not sail around the world. l'Hydroptere does not even exist, even though I stood next to it last week, it was but a mirage before my parched throat, cured by the lovely Mr. Sangmeister who offered me a Dos Equis from behind the Gladstone's bar. OJ didn't kill Nicole. The USA never went to the moon either.

Nope, the fast boats on the planet are the AC 72's, and Ben will be driving one very soon. Thank god for that too. I wonder if Jimmy will dare to make him angry.

ACEA has been saying the 72's are the fastest boats, so it must be true. Ben is the best sailor, on the fastest boat. He is the most interesting man in sailing, and probably all of the UK too.

Stay Angry Ainslie.

(I'd like to see a production Hobie Trifoiler sail around with the 72's and see what happens)

The interesting thing about this story is that none of the on the water spectators saw Ben touch the mark while some have said they didn't believe he did. The only ones who did see anything were the the dutch and dane, who I believe are training partners. The charitable view is that they saw a movement of the mark that looked like he touched it, but as this isn't the first time Ben has been subjected to this sort of thing, it's not at all surprising he is a bit sensitive about it. Then consider what the Dane has been saying about Ben in interviews, including that he will do everything he can to ensure that Ben doesn't win gold and equal Elvstrom's record because he doesn't think Ben is worthy of it. By making his accusations this public, all eyes will be on what happens in the Finns and there is little chance of anybody trying anything underhand for the rest of the regatta. Pretty smart of Ben really.

And it isn't just paranoia. There have been a number of cases over the last few Olympics of far from sportsman like behavior in an attempt to prevent a Brit getting a medal. Besides the well know one on Ben in the first race last time, where a Frenchman got him DSQ'ed based on evidence that was later shown in video to be totally wrong, there are cases of other Brits being deliberately screwed by unsportsmanlike conduct. Nick Rogers lost a medal in the last race of the 2000 Olympics when he finished in a position to win bronze and the only person who could beat him was 1 place off where he needed to be with 200 metres to go, only to have the boat in front deliberately slow until the eventual bronze winner had gone past. In 2004, Goody had somebody deliberately cover him during the first 2 races, until an official had a word with the coach of the offending party. Even going back to the 1970's in teh FD's, 2 times gold winner Rodney Patterson was covered in the first 2 races by the Russian finishing well down the fleet, again until words were had and once it stopped, Patterson was never out of the top 3. It cost him gold.

For whatever reason, some people out there don't like the Poms, particularly in sailing and probably because they are so succesful. Some of the posts above hint at that. Well, Ben had the perfect answer yesterday, losing 70 metres doing his turn and still overtaking the Dane. In fact, his performance yesterday was pretty special, seeing the pressure he was under. The start in the first race was about as big a statement as he could make and I doubt anybody else in his position would have dared to try it. Pretty good response to the bullshit interviews the Dane had been giving and to articles like that on the front page. There has been so much in the press (not British) about the sailors under performing yet yesterday was a pretty amazing display - Ben bossed the Finns, Perc and Bart did the Stars, Stevie and Ben the 49ers with Stu and Luke ruling the 470's. Still a long way to go, but I doubt anybody in team GBR cares what people think of them. They will simply try to get it done on the water.

Maybe people just don't like sailing against an angry asshole????

Then they probably shouldn't sail Finns. Seems to be pretty common in that fleet!

Got to agree with Clean on this one. While it is better than it used to be (I rememebr when there were proper fights at almost every major event), Finn sailors still seem to be the ones that are most likely to fire up. We hear about Ben because he is so high profile, eyt when a mid fleet no name punched an ISAF official, it went almost unnoticed (I cannot even remember the details!)

Got to agree with Clean on this one. While it is better than it used to be (I rememebr when there were proper fights at almost every major event), Finn sailors still seem to be the ones that are most likely to fire up. We hear about Ben because he is so high profile, eyt when a mid fleet no name punched an ISAF official, it went almost unnoticed (I cannot even remember the details!)

i was always too small to sail a Finn, but I was around the class a fair amount, at least in the US, especially in the late 80's when i was involved with the '92 US Trials.

Had some really interesting times with those guys, no lack of...uh....enthusiasm. Great story about Gerrado Seeliger jumping off a whaler and swimming to shore, which the Newport Beach Water Gestapo didn't much care for, but we made it all go away.

No matter where you go in life, there is always some form of the tall poppy syndrome. Ben has it, and keeps drawing a target on his back in alot of ways. Seems to thrive on it and has attracted a huge payday as a result. So, it works for him.

It just will be interesting to see what happens internally at Oracle Team USANZLAUSUK when he arrives.

For now, a little tension between competitors in this highest profile event in the world is just fine. Training partners out to get him....gee...that's never happened in any other class either i guess. Makes for good theater.

i still expect him to win.

The mark rounding was shown on BBC streaming (and replayed) and I saw no sign he hit it. Nor could I say for certain that he did not.

Anger is an energy © John Lydon.

Anger is an energy, and this may be what happens when too many journos spend too much time with shy Finn sailors. Just use old marks next time with rubboff fluoro paint, if it aint rubbin it aint racin. As much as BA is psyching himself up he is also trying to trip out or up his near foes. Don't think that constitutes an euro conspiracy to thwart the greater British destiny but if that is the way it feels to the poms, good luck with it. Evil danes and Dutch with their grotty windmills and bicycles, who do they think they are fooling. As for all the sensitive sailors whining about Finn class misbehaviour, enjoy your 470 and Laser needledick fest. "I say, that's not a class legal rivet, protest!" "dude, you tacked on me 14 years ago!"

There have been a number of cases over the last few Olympics of far from sportsman like behavior in an attempt to prevent a Brit getting a medal.

talk about balanced

the brit chip on 1 shoulder

the convict on the other

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

he who barfs last

barfs loudest

go king ben

put that knave hamlet to the sword

then bring your agro

to the ac45

and ram some frogs

never forget the norman conquest

How about ill-tempered sea bass with frickin' laser beams on their heads.

NO NO NO, is it seriously too hard to get fricken sharks with fricken laserbeams on there heads?

It really doesn't matter if the Dane has a battering ram with spinning cutting disk extension and the cloggie a school of trained boat delaying jelly fish: this is the Olympics, the pinnacle of sport and fair play. All athletes that are interviewed seem to recognize that and are gracious, happy to be there, even in misfortune or malicious events. BA is supposed to be one of the icons of the sailing sport, someone to look up to and a kind of person to inspire young ones to get into this sport of sailing. He is not, his comments are a disgrace. If he has a problem, then sort it out on the water (where it should stay) or via the agreed competition rules, not in the public. The worst bit is that a lot brits will have a positive view of his "fighting talk", which is crap and wrong. (And I have lived and sailed in the UK for 14 years, so I do know the people, before anyone starts) So no, for me Ben Ainslie and Friends is more and more a Billy No-Mates.

I know PJ pretty well, and he would never make up a story about someone hitting a mark. He calls them how he sees them.

I like Ben more and more every event. HULK SMASH!

I'll have my money on Ben over Spithill when they go head-to-head for OR.

I know PJ pretty well, and he would never make up a story about someone hitting a mark. He calls them how he sees them.

PJ got a bullit in the 9th race!, BA got 6th.

Then consider what the Dane has been saying about Ben in interviews, including that he will do everything he can to ensure that Ben doesn't win gold and equal Elvstrom's record because he doesn't think Ben is worthy of it. By making his accusations this public, all eyes will be on what happens in the Finns and there is little chance of anybody trying anything underhand for the rest of the regatta. Pretty smart of Ben really.

Incorrect. This is what was said:

“I think he was on a hotline to Paul Elvstrøm today,” Ainslie told British press agency PA last night. “He sailed fantastically well. So all credit to him. We'll see how things develop the rest of the week.”

Christensen conceded that he hadn’t heard from Elvstrøm yet, but probably would as the legend follows his career and tends to send emails or text messages when he sails well. “It's been a while since I did well,” he said.

Ainslie, who finished second in both of Sunday’s races, will also be extremely happy following his start – he is already some distance ahead of his main rival, America’s 2008 silver medalist Zach Railey, who finished 10th and 15th in the opening two races – but concerned by the way Christensen dominated. He finished 17 seconds clear in the first race and then 19 seconds ahead in the second.

“If he can end up winning and helping Paul Elvstrøm, I'm sure that will be a major bonus for him,” Ainslie said. “But, you know, it's a long way to go to start talking about things like that.”

“It's not something I focus too much on,” said Christensen, who contended that, whatever the outcome, Elvstrøm would still be the “greatest sailor of all time” because of his legacy. “If I get in a position where I can defend his honour, that would be great. But guys, it's day one. He's only two points behind. Let's keep it real and see how it goes tomorrow.”

Simon you come up with some good information time to time but much of the time you are a full of shit homer. JHC's response is all class IMO.

Ben is deliberately slowing down in R10 now in order to push his opponents down the fleet.

He wasnt exactly in a friendly mood yesterday going by this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/sailing/9448744/London-2012-Olympics-Ben-Ainslie-Theyve-made-me-angry-and-you-dont-want-to-make-me-angry.html

"After rounding the third mark between the boats of Hogh-Christensen and Postma,

words were exchanged with his fellow sailors which resulted in Ainslie taking a

penalty turn on the water and losing ground to his rivals.

The 35 year-old fought back brilliantly, catching up 70 metres on the final

downwind leg to overhaul Hogh-Christensen before crossing the finishing line

and exploding in anger, gesticulating and shouting at the Dane.

He was still livid by the time he made it back to shore and spoke to reporters.

“He and the Dutch guy basically teamed up to claim I hit the mark when I didn’t,

which seriously p-----d me off,” said Ainslie who explained that he decided not

to wait and risk a protest since he would have been outnumbered two to one in the

protest room. Had he lost he might have been disqualified from the race.

“Fortunately I’m old enough and wise enough not to fall for that trick and took

the penalty turn,” Ainslie said. “But it has certainly fired me up for the finish

and fired me up for tomorrow.” Asked what he said to Hogh-Christensen at the finish,

Ainslie added: “I wasn’t happy with what those guys did and told them. That’s racing.

“It’s good to claw those points back today. It’s going to be a lot of pressure on

Jonas holding on to that lead for the next three races.”

Hogh-Christensen looked wounded by the suggestion that he had lied and unnerved by

the incident in general. “From where I was in the race, I thought he hit the mark,” he said.

“The Dutch guy thought he hit the mark as well. We were two guys who were on both sides.

“If he really thinks we ganged up on him, he should protest us for bad sportsmanship.

Coming with that allegation is pretty bad. Nobody gangs up on nobody, and to be fair

if he thinks that he is the bad sportsman.

“If he was so sure [he didn’t hit the mark], he should not have done the penalty but

he did so maybe he did hit the mark.” Television replays were inconclusive.

All that remains to be seen is who will benefit from the falling out."

With the marks bobbing up and down and to and fro in the waves, it's very difficult for a nearby sailor going fast and also subject to waves and what not, to see another boat touch a mark for what has to be a very brief moment. Unless, of course, the touch was more like a hit and obvious.

If Ben said he didn't touch, I believe him (and I am not a 'God save the Queen' singer).

The mark rounding was shown on BBC streaming (and replayed) and I saw no sign he hit it. Nor could I say for certain that he did not.

Anger is an energy © John Lydon.

Me too - didn't look like he did but I couldn't say for sure he didn't.

Anyway, pretty interesting day today in the Finns! Right down to the wire in the medal race - it's going to be compelling viewing.

Respect Ainsley .I have been watching this all week and I reckon the only chocolate the Dane is going to see is his chocolate starfish. What the FECK has happned to the Ausie's ? Are they finally full of shite and hot air?

I love this quote from above

“Fortunately I’m old enough and wise enough ...”

and this

...before crossing the finishing line and exploding in anger, gesticulating and shouting at the Dane.

So old enough and wise enough but not grown up.

Heard from a friend of Postma's today that the day before the Hulk comments, Ben shouted to Pieter that he was over early and the recall flag was for him. Pieter went back, getting I think a 13 in that race. Apparently, he wasn't even close to over early, and that might be what precipitated the mark touch thing.

BA kind of reminds me of Barry Bonds: great athlete with a mediocre attitude and a huge ego. Loved watching Barry play, he could change a game just by picking up a bat and scaring walks out of pitchers. But I also always thought he needed a little more Lou Gehrig or Jackie Robinson. Leave the bravado on the field and add some humility and modesty off the field. Seems the same could be said for BA.

OK, Ben Ainsley now has really done it - he is a fucking idiot and not a tribute to sailing with his pumped up charges. In todays Olympic race he was called out by 2 competitors (danish and dutch) that he had hit the mark and should make a penalty turn.

He said that this was a "ganging up", he "didn't have a choice but to do a penalty turn else it was 2 to 1", the other guys "would be sorry to have made him mad, and they "better watch out". He was "used to it on the olympics" and "they will be sorry" and ".....

The danish guy simply said, "I don't call out unless I am sure". Didn't hear from the dutch guy on my tv coverage.

Regardless of the truth of the story: his reaction is supreme twattishness. This is not what I expect of any sports person, let alone a sailor, let alone a Brit.

Obviously he is very frustrated that a danish guy is sailing better in His home waters in His home Olympics in His boat that He is Destined to Win!! (you may all sing "all hail Ben, all hail Ben") and His skills to sail boats very fast has gone to his head. What a twat.

Won't be supporting him, but I guess OR will still call him "one of Best Sailors in the World" (and not a hint of twattishness.....)

You better watch out or he'll choke you out too!!!

Seems like Ben is in the Jordan/Kobe/Armstrong school. Win or go home.

What a coincidence!

ACD 50 Teaser - Ben Ainslie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjARzEcQmT8

This week on America's Cup Discovered we catch up with Ben Ainslie as he aims to becoming the most decorated Olympic sailor in history. After London 2012 Ben will fly directly to San Francisco to launch his team as the skipper of 'Ben Ainslie Racing' in the AC World Series in San Francisco. We also get the inside scoop on sailor nicknames, including: Cheese, Cat Flap, T-Hutch, Avatar to list a few.Tune in to youtube.com/americascup on Saturday August 4 at approx 0800 PDT 1600 BST.

Then they probably shouldn't sail Finns. Seems to be pretty common in that fleet!

..let's just say there's a lot of adrenaline flowing in finns,

,,,but the A-hole quotient is probably pretty similar to other fleets

...seen boat-boarding in lasers,,rigging-knives drawn in 49ers.....

..it usually gets shuffled away quietly in this 'gentleman's sport,,but hard to do when it's as high a profile as Benno,,,,,just wondering when/where the meldown will happen,,

..it's seems it's just a matter of time <_<

as an ex Finn and FD sailor who competed in Olympic trials in Weymouth many many moons ago but am a friend of Sid Howlett Bens coach and had a reply last night from Beano PLUS have the incident recorded on video from the BBC live feed where I watched it over and over it is CLEAR TO SEE that the Dane (who I think has sailed a great regatta capsize and starts included) was looking forward until the Dutch guy called out!!!!!

There is more but hey I will be called as not impartial I feel sure, sincerely folks give Ben a break he sailed brilliantly today and sailed a great AND INTERESTING race. How many anarchists could have sailed as Ben did the last three legs of race two today?

Olympics Jerk Watch: Meet the British Sailor Who Hates Everyone and Is Allergic to the Sun

http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_circus/2012/08/03/ben_ainslie_olympics_2012_meet_the_british_sailor_who_hates_everyone_and_is_allergic_to_the_sun_.html

By Justin Peters

|

Posted Friday, Aug. 3, 2012, at 9:53 AM ET

Ben Ainslie

Great Britain's Ben Ainslie heads to the mark in the Finn sailing class at the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Photo by WILLIAM WEST/AFP/GettyImages

Nominee: Ben Ainslie

Home Country: Great Britain

Known for: Sailing, water rage, complaining.

Why he might be a jerk: While sailing at the world championships in Perth last year, Ainslie grew angry at a media boat that he believed had come too close to his own. He decided to express his dismay by leaping into the water, climbing aboard the media boat, and angrily confronting its passengers. Ainslie’s rage isn’t limited to the media: On Thursday, while sailing in the Olympics’ Finn event, Ainslie gestured angrily at his closest competitor, Danish sailor Jonas Hogh-Christensen. After the race, Ainslie accused Hogh-Christensen and the Netherlands’ Pieter Jan Postma of conspiring to accuse him of a violation he didn’t commit. “He and the Dutch guy teamed up to claim I hit the mark when I didn't, which seriously pissed me off,” Ainslie told the Guardian. Everyone’s got it in for Ben Ainslie! Also, he called his autobiography Close to the Wind: The Autobiography of Britain’s Greatest Olympic Sailor, which is a pretty jerky title.

Why he might not be a jerk: It’s not bragging if it’s true: Ainslie is Britain’s greatest Olympic sailor, with three gold medals to his name. While some might find it rude to publicly accuse a fellow competitor of unsportsmanlike conduct, raise your hand if you haven’t been pissed off by Jonas Hogh-Christensen. Yeah, I thought so. And a few months before the Perth incident, a Telegraph profile of Ainslie revealed that an unfortunate sun allergy “made him a spotty figure of fun” as a child. The allergy persists, and Ainslie’s arms are still covered in splotchy red marks that he describes as “very itchy.” If you itched all the time, you’d be angry, too.

Jerk score: I’ll give him 2 out of 3 for style, because in order to get full credit Ainslie should have referred to Hogh-Christensen as “that po-faced Danish bastard” or something like that. I’ll give him 2 out of 3 for technical merit, because he could have set fire to that press boat in Perth but didn’t. I’ll give him a 2 out of 3 for consistency, because I’ve identified plenty of races where Ainslie didn’t loudly berate someone. And he gets 0 out of 1 in the “have you ever pushed a fellow competitor off a boat and into the sea” category, though I expect him to do that before the Olympics are over. 6 out of 10 for Ben Ainslie.

Previous Olympics Jerk Watch entries: Michael Phelps, Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad, Ahmad Saber Hamcho

Good thing Sir BA sails in UK, no worries about sun there, it looks to have been a chilly week for them all. Game on, but please stop picking on Sir BA when its all the beastly unsporting filthy Continentals ganging up on him. And yes, I would love to be able to sail half as well as he does.

By the time Ainslie has finished this on Sunday.......Jonas Hogh-Christensen will never set foot in a Finn again.

Anger is an energy, and this may be what happens when too many journos spend too much time with shy Finn sailors. Just use old marks next time with rubboff fluoro paint, if it aint rubbin it aint racin. As much as BA is psyching himself up he is also trying to trip out or up his near foes. Don't think that constitutes an euro conspiracy to thwart the greater British destiny but if that is the way it feels to the poms, good luck with it. Evil danes and Dutch with their grotty windmills and bicycles, who do they think they are fooling. As for all the sensitive sailors whining about Finn class misbehaviour, enjoy your 470 and Laser needledick fest. "I say, that's not a class legal rivet, protest!" "dude, you tacked on me 14 years ago!"

My kind of guy.......................;)

By the time Ainslie has finished this on Sunday.......Jonas Hogh-Christensen will never set foot in a Finn again.

what are you 'on'???? :lol::lol::lol:

post-3217-002320600 1344022015_thumb.jpgpost-3217-002320600 1344022015_thumb.jpgpost-3217-002320600 1344022015_thumb.jpg

Seems like Ben is in the Jordan/Kobe/Armstrong school. Win or go home.

Nothing wrong with that attitude...or with the illustrious company.

as an ex Finn and FD sailor who competed in Olympic trials in Weymouth many many moons ago but am a friend of Sid Howlett Bens coach and had a reply last night from Beano PLUS have the incident recorded on video from the BBC live feed where I watched it over and over it is CLEAR TO SEE that the Dane (who I think has sailed a great regatta capsize and starts included) was looking forward until the Dutch guy called out!!!!!

I hadn't spotted that. It is clear to see. At no time when Ben was rounding was he looking in that direction. Unless he has eyes in the back of his head or his head was sticking out of his arse, there is no way he could have seen it! I hope some journalist puts this to the Dane because I would love to know how he can say he knows what he saw when there is evidence that he couldn't have seen it.

But I am sure the haters on here will simply find a way to excuse him and blame it all on Ben. Maybe Ben made him look away at the vital moment :lol:

So what's the deal, are they both locks for either silver or gold unless either one finishes below some X? Can BA, or JHC. run the other off the course into the deep numbers, or is PJ a threat to beat them both if they did that?

Also, how many boats make the Medal race, all of them?

So what's the deal, are they both locks for either silver or gold unless either one finishes below some X? Can BA, or JHC. run the other off the course into the deep numbers, or is PJ a threat to beat them both if they did that?

So long as they are higher than 7th (out of the 10 in the medal race), whoever wins out of the 2 takes gold. If both are lower than 7th, the Dutch guy gets it. Therefore, we cannot see either trying to sail the other out the back. We might see some aggressive match racing in the pre-start with Ainslie trying to draw a foul. It will be interesting to see if Ben simply goes for the win or whether he sticks close to the Dane expecting his downwind powers to pull him through. You got to think if he starts the last run within a few lengths of the Dane, he would back himself to overtake.

And it isn't just paranoia. ... For whatever reason, some people out there don't like the Poms ... probably because they are so succesful.

Yup, that's it. You know those feet did not walk upon England's mountains green. The English insistence that all civilization is and always has been centered on England is amusing when done with some self awareness.

But it is a bit of an ask to insist that non-English people play along.

Not that BA isn't an amazing sailor. He certainly is. It will be interesting to see how well he fits in to a large team.

does anyone else feel the ethically pure and morally sgueeky clean english press may be creating mountains from molehills here or at least aiding and abetting, heard and seen far worse in lasers at club level

So long as they are higher than 7th (out of the 10 in the medal race), whoever wins out of the 2 takes gold. If both are lower than 7th, the Dutch guy gets it. Therefore, we cannot see either trying to sail the other out the back. We might see some aggressive match racing in the pre-start with Ainslie trying to draw a foul. It will be interesting to see if Ben simply goes for the win or whether he sticks close to the Dane expecting his downwind powers to pull him through. You got to think if he starts the last run within a few lengths of the Dane, he would back himself to overtake.

Thanks for the stats.

JH may turn out the aggressor, could get interesting.

BA as Achilles and JHC as Hector: that's classic culture for you, courtesy of FV's Michele Tognozzi :)

There is more but hey I will be called as not impartial I feel sure, sincerely folks give Ben a break he sailed brilliantly today and sailed a great AND INTERESTING race. How many anarchists could have sailed as Ben did the last three legs of race two today?

And that is just the point algarverichard, we are all - relatively speaking - armchair admirals compared to ben and his fellow competitors (let's not take away from Jonas as if/when Ben picks up the gold it will be the toughest since Sydney)

None of us with time to post is in the league of those guys otherwise we would be there.

Ben's awareness of the situation in Race 10 showed he is more than just fast, or fit, or driven.

Now they have got him angry and it is not just the Brits or Anarchy who are rooting for him. Take it from me he has a good number f fans amongst the sailing fraternity here in China too.

So Ben, Elvstrom will always be Elvstrom, you've earned the right to be talked about in the same breath, now match the medal count!

Can't wait for tomorrow eveing (China time)

See ya on the water

SS

See ya on the water

I can't comment if BA hit the mark or not, as it's immaterial because he did a turn and continued on.

If people here don't think this sort of thing doesn't take place on the race course, you are totally naive, especially in the olympics, in this class and also under the circumstances.

Face it, a potential motive does exist.,

I respect the fact that he spoke out about this issue, regardless of the facts. Had he not, we'd all be sitting here watching boats sail around the course with no idea of what is actually going on.

I've watched boats from 25 yards out round a mark that due to wave conditions, made it look exactly like they hit it, when they did not.

Smart of him to recognize the potential ramifications of the situation and exonerate himself and sail on, whether he touched the mark or not.

What is interesting to speculate is to what extent the fund-raising prospects for the team currently known as Ben Ainslie Racing (aka "Sponsor Wanted") depends on Silver versus Gold. "Greatest Olympic Sailor of all time" isn't just an ego-trip here, it's a (possible) future marketing proposition.

Well it seems that PJ is not very happy:(paraphrasing ) "Ainslie is a great champion but not a great athlete" and "at the Olympics sportsmanship is an ideal, he shows no class" and "he swears a lot, I do also sometimes but only at myself "

Pretty strong statements from a dutch person, and I agree that whatever the situation was and regardless of his prowess , ainslie's reaction certainly has not done him proud but it appears to be a pattern rather than an isolated occurrence.

http://www.nusport.nl/londen-nederlanders/2875525/ainslie-toont-geen-sportmanship.html

It is an interesting coincidence that it was Paul Elvstrom who said "You haven't won the race, if in winning the race you have lost the respect of your competitors."

We all know that Schumacher has the most F1 world titles, but Senna was the greatest.

It is an interesting coincidence that it was Paul Elvstrom who said "You haven't won the race, if in winning the race you have lost the respect of your competitors."

We all know that Schumacher has the most F1 world titles, but Senna was the greatest.

Do you reckon Schumacher goes around arguing that point or is it just a question that concerns the internet?

Respect, sportsmanship and the related ideals are all good things to teach your kids but they have little place at the pointy end of any serious competition.

Look elsewhere for your heroes and enjoy sport for what it is; not what you wish you wish it was. ;)

I liked the bit in yesterdays footage when the commentators said, "there is ainslie waving to the camera's" as they were racing downwind. They must have all missed the perth incident.

yes they must have done. Either that or you missed the irony and humor.

Well it seems that PJ is not very happy:(paraphrasing ) "Ainslie is a great champion but not a great athlete" and "at the Olympics sportsmanship is an ideal, he shows no class" and "he swears a lot, I do also sometimes but only at myself "

Pretty strong statements from a dutch person, and I agree that whatever the situation was and regardless of his prowess , ainslie's reaction certainly has not done him proud but it appears to be a pattern rather than an isolated occurrence.

http://www.nusport.nl/londen-nederlanders/2875525/ainslie-toont-geen-sportmanship.html

ANP by Anne Joldersma The British triple Olympic champion Ben Ainslie was for the camera of the BBC that the Dane Jonas Hoegh-Christensen and the Dutchman Pieter-Jan Postma, have been living "but better to be careful". The two had that protest at Ainslie, which during the course of the race became a buoy. The Englishman chose eggs for his money, and was once again, error-free, to the buoy, but was not at the end to talk about the act of Hoegh-Christensen and Postma, have been living. :blink: :blink:

"Protest had no meaning, that win i do not if the two against one is", he informed us. "The Dutchman and the Dane made efforts together, it seems that everything is permitted. They can be but better be careful for me." The Brit, a friend of the Dutch Marit Barkley, is to book as a powder keg. Last year during the World Cup, he was disqualified after he after a race in a volgboot leap, which in his eyes had been sitting in the road and it was a photographer to get to grips with.

No class on Friday night late Postma, have been living it is true that the Englishman know that according to his condition of service is a great champion, but not a great athlete. "He also sometimes throw out insults. I do not think that this class", it was the Dutch their hobbies in know. "We are with z'n all, together, trying to win. But there is also another ideal. Sportmanship. We are here on the Olympic Games. I also kill yourself something, but only on myself."

Postma, have been living on bronze rate in the Finn class behind the Brit and the Dane fight for gold. The Dutchman looks forward to the medalrace on Sunday. "It's going to be a legendary race. Sold Out. That has to be much more frequently in the sails.""

hmm,,says a lot about the dutch(don't worry,I'm half dutch),,AND translation

.....let's see what we get if we take the last paragraph through norweigan,,polish,,thai,then back to english..... :rolleyes:

........''It was postma op bronzen koers in de finn-klasse achter de brit en de paula deen death om goud vechten.de nederlander kijkt uit naar de medalrace zondag. van, his stepson and een legendarische competition.uitverkocht.on the side, vaker gebeuren in his stepson zeilen' "

.............yes,,I thought that would clear things up nicely,,no wonder europe's so F'd up!! :D

''As a script, it could not have been written better and his final Olympic chapter will make a belter of a climax.''

...could be magic,,,,,,

,,,,could be TRAGIC

...but a 'belter' it WILL be :)

Just saw an interview with PJ, BA pulled a pretty dirty trick on him by telling him he was over early.

PJ couldnt see the commitee boat so turned back, but then saw there where no recall flags on the boat. :(

Wow, read about that earlier but the account didn't include the reason he thought he was over.

'Vicious' sailing, tomorrow will be intense for those guys.

We were watching the sailing at the Noithe fort today, when a camera man noticed that Jonas was sitting on the lawn among the fans with a few danish friends watching the sailing like everyone else. So they trained the camera on him and in front of a thousand British fans did an impromptu interview. He got an ovation when asked how he was going to do tomorrow, he answered "to do my best".....Do you think you can beat Ben Ainslie? " Yes I think I can. We will both be trying to win. You will have a good race to watch"

Then after he had been mobbed for autographs for a few minutes, the commentators box asked on the loud speaker if he would like the help of "some security". He waved them off. After every kid had all the autographs they needed. He sat down again and hung out with the other spectators watching the women match racing for the rest of the day.

What other athlete in other sports in the running for a Gold medal spends his day off hanging out enjoying the scene with the spectators.

What is interesting to speculate is to what extent the fund-raising prospects for the team currently known as Ben Ainslie Racing (aka "Sponsor Wanted") depends on Silver versus Gold. "Greatest Olympic Sailor of all time" isn't just an ego-trip here, it's a (possible) future marketing proposition.

Even if Ben does win the Gold, Elvstrom is still the greatest Olmpic sailor winning 4 consecutive Golds in 2 classes, then representing in another 4 games in an additional 3 classes. He has represented in dinghies, keel boats and multihulls. Sorry, Ben still has some way to go.

Ben is a great sailor, that cannot be taken away from him. He is however a poor sportsman, unlike Elvstrom.

You haven't won the race, if in winning the race you have lost the respect of your competitors

Yep...I can just see Usain Bolt tossing and turning at night unable to sleep over the lack of respect from the other also-rans!!

Ben is a great sailor, that cannot be taken away from him. He is however a poor sportsman, unlike Elvstrom.

You haven't won the race, if in winning the race you have lost the respect of your competitors

I'm afraid I'm inclined to agree. Making allegations in public that you can't prove isn't big and it isn't clever. In some ways however, I don't envy him in carrying the burden of so many other people's expectations.

I'm afraid I'm inclined to agree. Making allegations in public that you can't prove isn't big and it isn't clever. In some ways however, I don't envy him in carrying the burden of so many other people's expectations.

Ainslie is very well compensated to carry those expectations. He long ago stopped sailing for free. JP Morgan expects him to win, and they pay him to do so. So does Larry Ellison.

Ainslie is very well compensated to carry those expectations. He long ago stopped sailing for free. JP Morgan expects him to win, and they pay him to do so. So does Larry Ellison.

Yes and so what? Money and the emotional burden of other people's expectations are two different things. Do you applaud at a concert? Those guys are well-paid to stand up there for an hour or two and they want applause as well? Most of us, I hope, recognise there is more to life than $$$$.

Yes and so what? Money and the emotional burden of other people's expectations are two different things. Do you applaud at a concert? Those guys are well-paid to stand up there for an hour or two and they want applause as well? Most of us, I hope, recognise there is more to life than $$.

you mean like, women? friends? feelings?!?!

..here's a good place for a play-by-play tweet available for the race.,14:00 start limeytime.

http://www.finnclass.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=488:finn-medal-race-the-ben-and-jonas-show&catid=43:olympics&Itemid=266

Finn medal race - The Ben and Jonas show

Olympics

It's been brewing all week and has gone right down to the wire. The on-the-water – and sometimes off-the-water – battle between Jonas Høgh-Christensen (DEN) and Ben Ainslie (GBR) will reach its exciting conclusion on Sunday when the Finn class medal race takes place.

The final showdown between Høgh-Christensen, the double world champion at his third Olympics, against Ainslie, the three time Olympic champion and six time Finn world champion, has ignited the worldwide press as they slaver over the prospect of the most momentous dinghy race in history.

There is a lot at stake. If you didn't know by now Ainslie is hunting for his fourth consecutive Olympic gold medal to become the most decorated Olympic sailor of all time, surpassing the original Great Dane Paul Elvstrøm's four gold medals between 1948 and 1960. There is also a slight sense that Høgh-Christensen is defending Elvstrøm's record and honour. Both are already all but guaranteed medals – the medal race will decide the colour.

Høgh-Christensen was the early pace setter when the Finn racing started last Sunday, winning the first three races to the backdrop of a shocked British audience concerned that their golden boy perhaps wasn't up to the job. Høgh-Christensen has led the competition from the first mark of the first race and still leads going into the medal race. A lot of questions were asked of Ainslie as to what was going on, but he didn't have the answer in the first half of the week. His answer finally came on both of the two final days of the opening series as he clawed back his points deficit and showed some of his true form to go into the medal race effectively level with the Great Dane Mk 2.

During the half-way stage lay day, something changed in Ainslie. He came back out with gritted teeth, looking determined to stop to the downward spiral. But it still wasn't easy, fighting his way back twice from lowly positions at the top mark. But that is what has made him famous, making incredible comebacks against adversity, and this is what was lacking in the first half of the week.

The best scorer in the second half of the week was in fact Pieter-Jan Postma (NED) with a 2,2,1,2 scoreline, lifting him to the bronze medal position. One of the best sailors in recent years he has never won a major championship but picked up a silver medal at the 2011 world championship and a bronze at the 2011 Olympic Test Event. He is no pushover.

Høgh-Christensen and Postma have also been vilified in the British press after the race eight mark touching incident – the Great Dane has even been marked as Public Enemy No 1 in the UK – but the disagreement appeared to be forgotten on Friday as a cheerier Ainslie moved within the vital two points of Høgh-Christensen, effectively cancelling any points advantage. It has set up a thrilling winner takes all scenario on Sunday, providing they finish within the top seven boats.

Showdown

What can we expect from the medal race? Some pundits are already looking forward to an Ainslie trademark match race, but realistically this is unlikely to happen as they both need to keep half an eye on Postma.

In fact there will probably be two, or even three, races going on. The first will be between Høgh-Christensen and Ainslie as whoever is in front will no doubt cover the guy behind pretty tightly. Expect to see them start close together but sail their own races until it is under control.

Unless Postma decides to take a risk – and his style is to attack rather than defend – the second race will be for the bronze with him trying to protect his five point lead. On the water this means he needs to be within two places of Jonathan Lobert (FRA) and Ivan Kljakovic Gaspic (CRO) and within three places of Vasilij Zbogar (SLO). Realistically Postma could inflict damage on one of his opponents and go for the gold, but to do it to both is a tall order while also protecting his position against three other boats, all eager to fill the gap should he falter.

The third race will be for seventh place, as in the words of Rafa Trujillo (ESP), currently in tenth overall, “No one wants to be last.”

So what are their chances? On paper, and before this week started, the wise money would be on Ainslie. His record in these situations is outstanding and no one else has got close to converting tense showdowns into convincing victories. But this week Høgh-Christensen has inflicted seven defeats on Ainslie out of 10 races. That is something to stop and think about. Ainslie may have turned it around in the second half of the week, but those defeats will have rubbed a sore wound in the three time Olympic champion's mental armour.

Also compare the indignantly angry Ainslie from Thursday against the outwardly calm and collected Høgh-Christensen. Two very different characters who thrive in different ways. Who will be more focussed on the job? Who will best survive the enormous pressure that both will be under?

Ainslie wasn't giving much away, “It's going to be a fascinating race; I'm really looking forward to it. It's hard to call tactics yet. It depend on the conditions and what sort of mood you are in when you get out of bed in the morning.

“It's going to be a very important race. It's a huge opportunity to race in front of a home crowd. Obviously there's a lot at stake but it is going to be fantastic.”

Høgh-Christensen was more open, “I am not expecting too much in the medal race. PJ is only 14 points behind Ben so if we go into a full out match race then PJ could actually go and win the Olympics. So we have to race. I hope he is set up for that as well. But you never know. That's what I hope. That would be the best for the sport and for the Olympics. We have both sailed well so far and whoever beats who is the fair winner. I've beaten him in seven races and he has beaten me in three. It's still close.”

“We talked before the regatta that the greatest thing would be to go into the medal race and be able to decide it yourself. And I am in that position, so I have just got to go out and sail my best. Luckily I have a good track record on the Nothe course. I won the first race and was leading the practice race, so I'll do what I can to win. I think I’ll focus on my own race and knowing Ben he'll probably try something but he can't try too much because we still have to race so PJ doesn't win.”

“I'm really looking forward to the medal race. It will be very exciting. It will be whoever beats who so it will be an epic battle. That is what we have here and why I love racing.”

Assuming Høgh-Christensen and Ainslie will fight for the gold and silver, there is a four way fight for the bronze. There is only so much Postma can control so most likely he is going to have to sail his own race.

Lobert won the silver at the 2011 Olympic Test Event; Kljakovic Gaspic has won two European Finn titles; Zbogar has already won two Olympic medals in the Laser class. All are extremely competitive sailors and with such a small points gaps between the four, nothing is certain.

Lobert put his slant on it. “There are a lot of us close behind the first two so I'm going to have to pull out all the stops for the medal race. The medal race is different as it is shorter and the wind has a big affect. So I'll have to play the winning hand as I have nothing to lose. It will be bronze or nothing.”

Whatever happens out on the water on Sunday afternoon, the conditions here this week have been exactly what sailing has needed to improve its image. The world has finally seen sailors as athletes, and perhaps finally understood the physical and technical demands of the sport. There have been strong winds, big waves, agony of sailors and pain of defeat. Viewers have watched as sailors have stretched every muscle and sinew for that extra point of speed, seen the extreme boat handing skills required to keep the boats upright and lived the challenge of winning an Olympic medal. It has been a breath of fresh air.

So far it has all been positive news. Sunday's medal race though could well be the sailing event of the year. Don't miss it.

The Finn medal race is scheduled to start at 14.00

Høgh-Christensen and Postma have also been vilified in the British press after the race eight mark touching incident – the Great Dane has even been marked as Public Enemy No 1 in the UK

Really? Who wrote http://www.finnclass...pics&Itemid=266 ? I can't find any press pieces that "vilify" them.

Høgh-Christensen and Postma have also been vilified in the British press after the race eight mark touching incident – the Great Dane has even been marked as Public Enemy No 1 in the UK

Really? Who wrote http://www.finnclass...pics&Itemid=266 ? I can't find any press pieces that "vilify" them.

no idea who wrote it,,,call it 'journalistic license' if you will.

the following article certainly puts a pan on anyone who would dare threaten Black Adder's rule,though.......see pictues in the article for relevant visual references :blink::lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2183795/London-2012-Olympics-Gold-Ainslie-ready-sail-Olympic-sunset-final-round-push.html

=============================

Gold or not, Ainslie is ready to sail into Olympic sunset after final round push

By Ian Stafford

PUBLISHED: 21:28 GMT, 4 August 2012 | UPDATED: 21:28 GMT, 4 August 2012

Comments (1)

LIVE RESULTS |

EVENT SCHEDULE |

MEDALS TABLE

Ben Ainslie looks set to end a stellar Olympic career, whether or not he wins a record fourth successive gold at Weymouth.

The 35-year-old is bidding to win his third successive Finn Class gold which, with a silver and gold in the Laser in 1996 and 2000, would make him the greatest sailor in Olympic history.

Despite lying second, Ainslie needs simply to beat his arch rival, Denmark's Jonas Hogh-Christensen, in today's medal race and keep an eye on third-placed Pieter-Jan Postma from Holland, to retain his Olympic Finn title.

Surging forward: Ben Ainslie is primed for another gold after winning race 10 in the men's finn class

Surging forward: Ben Ainslie is primed for another gold after winning race 10 in the men's finn class

Few would bet against him but, win or lose, I understand he has decided to turn his back on the physically gruelling Finn Class - for which he has to bulk up considerably to match his rivals - after today and probably the Olympics in general before Rio in 2016.

Ainslie will shortly announce a new sponsor for his own sailing team which he plans to head up as a British America's Cup yacht for the 2015 series.

In the meantime, he will sail alongside four-time America's Cup winner Russell Coutts on BMW Oracle, bidding to retain the cup next year.

Having achieved so much in Olympic history Ainslie's other longcherished dream is to win the America's Cup with a British team. Giles Scott is almost the equal of Ainslie now in the Finn Class and could step out of his shadow.

Mighty Finn: Ben Ainslie in action

Mighty Finn: Ben Ainslie in action

World champion Scott, at 24, has time on his side and is likely to deal with the physical challenge greater than the older Ainslie in future.

Sources close to Ainslie say there is a slim chance he could turn to the two-man Star Class for 2016, which could pit him against great friend Iain Percy, who is set to win a third Olympic gold today in the class. Team Manager Stephen Park believes Ainslie will prevail today.

'It will be a fierce battle at the start and then basic match-racing. With Ben's greater experience, you'd have to go with him.'

Oops: Overnight leader Jonas Hogh-Christensen stumbled in race 10 after capsizing

Oops: Overnight leader Jonas Hogh-Christensen stumbled in race 10 after capsizing

A fourth Olympic gold for Ainslie will almost certainly result in a knighthood. Already with an MBE, OBE and CBE, four gold medals and a silver would place him alongside the likes of Bradley Wiggins and Sir Matthew Pinsent and just one gold behind his hero, Sir Steve Redgrave, and Sir Chris Hoy.

The Weymouth Crowd sitting on the hill dubbed 'Ben's Nevis' will be in for a treat today if Ainslie can pull it off. However, Paul Goodison and Ali Young saw their medal hopes ended yesterday.

Reigning Laser champion Goodison, who suffered a back injury early last week, was ninth and eighth yesterday to be sixth overall.

Olympic debutant Young, third in the Laser Radial Class midway through the regatta, was also sixth after being disqualified in the first race before finishing fourth in the last fleet race.

Funny really. We complain the media takes no notice of sailing and then we complain when they do. As for "vilification" of other Finn sailors in the British press, I call bullshit.

Schumacher has never been liked by the rest of the grid, while Senna was. This is why people easily forget that Senna won the F1 world title by deliberately driving into Alain Prost's car at the first corner of the last race, to ensure Prost couldn't get enough points to catch him (Prost returned the favour the following year). There was no love loss between those 2. To say that Ainslie has lost the respect of his competitors because one person, who he is in a dispute with, has spoken out is a bit of a stretch. Having read a few comments from the Dane going into today's race, I would say there si still a lot of mutual respect between those 2. I think it is far too soon to say Ainslie has lost the respect of his competitors. I think that is something that can only be judged over time, not in the heat of the moment. Look how Robert Scheidt verbally attacked Ainslie after the last race of the 2000 games. He accused Ainslie of all sorts of unsportsmanlike conduct, something he now regrets.

Let history be the judge, not the words spoken in the heat of competition.

Funny really. We complain the media takes no notice of sailing and then we complain when they do. As for "vilification" of other Finn sailors in the British press, I call bullshit.

Don't worry about some of these myopic stars-'n-stripers: if Zach Railey was a bit higher up in the standings, they'd all be gushing superlatives. Instead, they're indulging in the favourite Yankee pastime of shooting at tall poppies. Ben will become their poster boy once he joins OR laugh.gif

Don't worry about some of these myopic stars-'n-stripers: if Zach Railey was a bit higher up in the standings, they'd all be gushing superlatives. Instead, they're indulging in the favourite Yankee pastime of shooting at tall poppies. Ben will become their poster boy once he joins OR laugh.gif

Can't blame the septics for this one.

The article in question appeared on the Finn Class website. It's all but certain to be the work of the very prolific Robert Deaves, Editor and Media Manager for the Intnl Finn Class for the last 15 years.

With a job description like that he probably vets every word written about Finns and Finn sailors in the UK media.

He's a Brit by the way!

Can't blame the septics for this one.

The article in question appeared on the Finn Class website. It's all but certain to be the work of the very prolific Robert Deaves, Editor and Media Manager for the Intnl Finn Class for the last 15 years.

With a job description like that he probably vets every word written about Finns and Finn sailors in the UK media.

He's a Brit by the way!

...hah,,never saw the pronoun for seppo before :lol:

..not sure about the poster-boy thing <_<

...and I'm going to be interested if he can transfer his skills to a multi-person effort.

....I heard that's a big reason the Limey effort was canned :rolleyes:

Good to see the ACA resident bigot is alive and well. Now all thats left is for his bosum buddy TeKoodie to show proof of life. Or are they the same person? Probably. :lol:

WetHog :ph34r:

So Big Bad Ben did it. Now, a piss up and on to a AC challenge..........

The British press is praising BA as the greaters sailor ever, but after everything that happened last week i'm not sure I agree.

Certainly the one with the most medals, but the greatest?

The British press is praising BA as the greaters sailor ever, but after everything that happened last week i'm not sure I agree.

Certainly the one with the most medals, but the greatest?

Just like the US press is claiming that Michael Phelps is the greatest ever Olympic athlete... he's not, but he has more medals than anybody in history, so they milk that for everything they can...

It's called PR... spin... BS... call it what you want...

But none of it means anything at all...

Sailing can be enormously physical depending the class but in all cases requires a more cerebral edge too, than for example being the fastest sprinter or swimmer.

Otoh, sticking to the kind of regimen it takes to beat the best takes, and teaches, probably a lot for all Olympians. Phelps has for some reason always struck me as just a bit of a knucklehead cerebral-wise but he came across quite well last night on NBC after his finale when talking about how his competitiveness, discipline and yearn for perfection will transfer well to other endeavors, golf as one example.

Carl Lewis was amazing as both an athlete and as a well rounded spirit, imo. But BA is actually very good that way too, a good example was when he said about the British press comparisons of him to Lord Nelson, basically "Well it's not exactly like I saved Britain from Bonaparte!" Scored good points with me, that one.