• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Duke Nukem

Best Olympic Sailing Commentary EVER

Saw this gem via Reddit:

Irish Olympic Laser Start Sequence

Single greatest sailing video ever ...

If you ever wonder what everyone else in the world thinks of sailing, just play this a few times.

To paraphrase Jack Lemon -- "This is the good video, the Glenngary Video."

Perfection.

PS -- the comment about Belarus -- "poor performance on the water and a questionable human rights record on shore..." It sounds like he is describing me ... Fucking the best video ever.

That commentary is about what we would expect from the local coverage network, Channel 9, here in Australia who so far have broadcast not one nano-second of a sport in which Aus are looking likely to win at least 3, possibly 4 medals.

But wait: This just in a few minutes ago:

"Staying up?

Are you staying up until 11pm tonight? You should be. Channel Nine has suddenly realised that, without sailing, they have no winners so they are televising all Australian medal races live. That means you can catch Tom Slingsby going for gold at 2pm British time, which is 11pm in the eastern states and 9pm in Perth."

Can't wait to hear who they have for expert commentary. Such well known sailing luminaries as Ken Sutcliffe, Karl Stefanovic and Eddie McGuire will no doubt make it an absolute misery to listen to, but hey, at least we'll get to see it.Maybe they could hire that Irish guy to liven it up with insightful commentary?

Can't wait to hear who they have for expert commentary. Such well known sailing luminaries as Ken Sutcliffe, Karl Stefanovic and Eddie McGuire will no doubt make it an absolute misery to listen to, but hey, at least we'll get to see it.Maybe they could hire that Irish guy to liven it up with insightful commentary?

ha...it will be this guy again

richard-simmons.jpg?w=490

ok...so not much different from Karl Stefanovic really

That commentary is about what we would expect from the local coverage network, Channel 9, here in Australia who so far have broadcast not one nano-second of a sport in which Aus are looking likely to win at least 3, possibly 4 medals.

But wait: This just in a few minutes ago:

"Staying up?

Are you staying up until 11pm tonight? You should be. Channel Nine has suddenly realised that, without sailing, they have no winners so they are televising all Australian medal races live. That means you can catch Tom Slingsby going for gold at 2pm British time, which is 11pm in the eastern states and 9pm in Perth."

I have a few rowing mates who are seething at James Brayshaw's calling.

ha...it will be this guy again

richard-simmons.jpg?w=490

ok...so not much different from Karl Stefanovic really

So that's what DoRag looks like. Kinda figures.

That was awsome would totally rather listen to that.

I think that' twas the voice of a certain Timmy from a counrty with lots of green covering it's land. If it's him, good on him. He knows a thing or two about olympic sailing, fur fuck sake.

"Staying up?

Like +1000

"Staying up?

Like +1000

The fact that we (AUS) have only ONE Gold medal so far probably makes it newsworthy...

I too shudder to think who will do the commentary, expert or not.

Please not Tessa....

I have an alternative though.

The BBC coverage is available if you have 'ExpertShield' loaded and connected. Its free to download, Mac or PC, and gives you a British IP address so you can access any of the BBC's Eight Olympic channels including ONE just for sailing. And there are NO ad breaks!! Where would you insert an ad break in a medal race anyway? Might be worth watching 9 to see...

HOWEVER

I wouldnt use a pc you value or do banking on.

It is jerky with lots of buffering (could be my ADSL) but the commentary is passable with expert commentary fron Shirley Robertson.

It was a bit of a hassle to set up 'ExpertShield' but I have now watched 2 nights of Olympic sailing LIVE so its well worth it. Expect to be sleep deprived for the next week!

When I was a lot younger you would have to wait for about 3 months Seacraft magazine to find out what happened at the Olympics.

I love technology!

Fav Olympic quote from the 9 team so far "This track is twisty and turny" Eddie McGuire (twice)

and the emoticons for the rag :):D

Cosmic - I'll have the bbc site, via ExpatShield, ready and waiting as a backup in case 9 cock it up. The feed on 9 will come from the BBC feed so we'll be watching the same thing. Whether 9 put have an Aussie voice commentating remains to be seen. Guess we'll have to wait n see.

For the non-Aussies here a certain aussie facebook site called "Channel 9's Olympics coverage sucks" now apparently has over 100,000 likes.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/channel-nine-takes-gold-for-most-irritating-games-coverage-20120803-23l6s.html

We're not just grumpy about only having 1 Olympic gold to date.

I wouldnt use a pc you value or do banking on.

It is jerky with lots of buffering (could be my ADSL) but the commentary is passable with expert commentary fron Shirley Robertson.

It was a bit of a hassle to set up 'ExpertShield' but I have now watched 2 nights of Olympic sailing LIVE so its well worth it. Expect to be sleep deprived for the next week!

When I was a lot younger you would have to wait for about 3 months Seacraft magazine to find out what happened at the Olympics.

I love technology!

Fav Olympic quote from the 9 team so far "This track is twisty and turny" Eddie McGuire (twice)

and the emoticons for the rag :):D

Make sure you don't download any toolbars by mistake that put a trojan/virus on the PC.

Favourite Channel Nine-ism was this morning when the talking head said of U-Bolts win:

"They say lightning never strikes twice in the same place - well it has here, except it's not the same place"

And to think they actually get paid for babbling out shit like that!

Make sure you don't download any toolbars by mistake that put a trojan/virus on the PC.

I wondered why I had new and really annoying toolbars. Good advice

I'll take any advice to remove them........

Favourite Channel Nine-ism was this morning when the talking head said of U-Bolts win:

"They say lightning never strikes twice in the same place - well it has here, except it's not the same place"

There have been some absolute gems.

But its so easy to just turn the sound down you miss them....

they're making Foxtel look good.

So how come the Irish can do something like this but Roy and HG, who did it so much better, are now restricted by "IOC Protocols"? Search for Flatbag, and not the anarchist above, if you want an idea.

"it's the beginning of the race. I got it wrong....unfortunately We don't have anymore time here"

Could be the channel 9 commentary.

"it's the beginning of the race. I got it wrong....unfortunately We don't have anymore time here"

I thought this video was lifted directly from NBC with Bob Costas trying to fake an Irish accent. "..unfortunately we don't have any more time here. now back to equestrian synchronized water polo"

Still killing myself laughing, that is priceless!

"lots of fuckers have turned out to watch what is actually a very, very boring sport indeed"

"We have a beam of 1.37-- that's controversial" haha

I thought this video was lifted directly from NBC with Bob Costas trying to fake an Irish accent. "..unfortunately we don't have any more time here. now back to equestrian synchronized water polo"

Was at a meeting once upon a time when the NCAA was discussing emerging sports for women. The subject of equestrian came up. Guy sitting next to me, long known as the class clown, leans over, and in all mock seriousness asks: "do they use the same horses for water polo as they do for equestrian?" Whatever I was drinking exited my nose.

Very funny... The guy who did that is a member of the cast of "Hardy Bucks". It's a tv show set in a small town in the west of Ireland. It's hilarious.

Nothing sailing related.. but search youtube for "hardy bucks" if you want more from the same people.

Example : Irish driving test...

Warning; this may not make any sense if you are not familiar with the west of ireland

Very funny... The guy who did that is a member of the cast of "Hardy Bucks". It's a tv show set in a small town in the west of Ireland. It's hilarious.

Are you sure it's a member of Hardy Bucks?

I'm fairly sure it was a guy who may or who not have done his own fair share of going around the buoys in a slightly bigger boat in similar circumstances.

The local morning radio show played clips from this this morning. They sounded like they more than half thought it was serious.

And I see the video has been taken down due to the IOC having a rather large stick up their hindquarters. There's NO laughing at the Olympics!

- Jasen.

Page not found

Sorry, "Boats" was deleted at 11:36:43 Tue Aug 7, 2012.

Vimeo has removed or disabled access to the following material as a result of a third-party notification by International Olympic Committee claiming that this material is infringing: Boats.

« Return to the previous page

Asses.

post-1539-036059500 1344385559_thumb.gif

If NBC was broadcasting the Mars rover, the delay would be weeks since there would be little to no commercial interest in it.

Can this be for real ..or is it a spoof... I love it...''someone has to win this race and the clock is running out'.... Funniest thing I've seen in years...

Of course the IOC / ISAF took it down - they wouldn't want anyone to think they had a sense of humour now would they!!

Appart from being funny ( I can't remember laughing at a sailing video since Malcolm McKeag and "Splash" - yes, I am that old)

On a serious note, ISAF should play the video multiple times and learn just how difficult our sport is to understand and that, yes, there probably are people who could get that confused seeing the start of a race and notice even the comedian didn;t attepmt to mis-commentate the actual race.

C'mon ISAF/IOC the video isn't PC but put it back up - put yer own bleeps in it but in the meantime "Mind yer head"

Classic

SS

what the IOC ( unts ) expect us to accept .

- - - Crumbs from a group of people ensconced in a castle in switzerland, accepting brown paper bags and selling restrictive tv rights.

- - - For an event that is , in the main, funded by the member countries TAXPAYER' s contributing to the development of their competing athletes.

It is time their administration was rotated

or shared by the member cuntrees

these games show just how out of touch the ioc royal family has become

- - - and do not start me about all the subjectively judged QUASI " sports "

for example, why cannot AMATEUR boxing borrow from fencing and use pressure pads to confirm scoring hits ?

some of this smells a bit like soccer 's ( another swiss castle dwelling administration )

reluctance and resistance to adopt goal mouth technology used by almost every other ball game

why ?

Saw this gem via Reddit:

Irish Olympic Laser Start Sequence

That was hysterical. Steven Spielberg as RC Chair....classic!

Sorry, "Boats" was deleted at 11:36:43 Tue Aug 7, 2012.

Vimeo has removed or disabled access to the following material as a result of a third-party notification by International Olympic Committee claiming that this material is infringing: Boats.

i'm disliking these olympic media nazis more and more

thank you, found it

the man's an ejet

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=510_1344196881

You could get more or less exactly the same commentary on more or less any TV channel anywhere ... except RTE who thankfully drafted in Prof to cover the medal races with Irish interest. As a result RTE had the best sailing coverage at the games and the best I've see outside of the match racing world championships!

Don't know but I did! Had an Anslie at 3/1, an Annalise + Slingsby double on at 3/1 and an Anslie + Mills + Percy treble at 40/1. Was a bit disappointed by the last 200m of the Star race to say the least!!

That was extremely funny,

The comment of what he said was the race but was only the start. Bwhahahah

And then even better... he is so pissed they took away his documatary he swears some thing you wouldn't wish your worst enemy,

Political and sailing technics incorrect. And women-sexism comment. Well perhaps not so funny after all...

Total "Streisand Effect" here - if the IOC hadn't shut down the video, then people would have eventually forgotten about it. 'Cept for maybe every 4 years or whenever someone starts another "Why doesn't sailing get more tv time" thread.

Now, the story has evolved from a harmless & funny video to yet another example of the heavy handed and out of touch IOC control of the media.

Great Vid!!! I can see why the IOC tight-asses would take down the video...they didn't want to pay our Irish friend to be their future commentator!