Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

netanya

Navman 3150 Masthead Unit Repair

HI Navman 3150 owners,

My 3150 Wind Direction sensor started indicating wind only from the port beam, regardless of the actual wind direction. Thanks to the many posts by others I was able to trace the problem to the masthead unit. Measuring voltages on the white, yellow and blue leads, I found 2.5v plus or minus 0.5v, or so, on the white wire to common, but the voltage on the yellow wire measured 1.2v to about 0.85v. Wind speed was working ok.

I either had to fix or replace the masthead unit, and because of the cost of replacing it, I decided to try to repair it, and took the masthead unit apart to find out how it worked. I carefully removed the wind vane, and found two small circuit boards in the unit, one for wind speed and the other for wind direction. The wind speed board has a +5v regulator (78L05) and a Hall-Effect sensor laid flat on the underside of the board. The wind direction board has two Hall-Effect sensors (UGN3503U) in quadrature (mounted 90 deg with respect to each other), standing up on their leads, and gets it's power from the +5v regulator on the wind speed board. These Hall-Effect devices are gaussian detectors, and sense rotating magnets in the wind vane. The wind direction sensors produce two signals 90 deg out of phase, and the wind speed sensor is single phase and sees the magnet in the 3-cup speed mechanism. There is a 3-leg plastic spacer between the two boards.

The Hall-Effect sensors used on the wind direction board ( http://www.diy-robot...lev/ung3503.pdf) are magnetic field strength detectors that have a power, ground, and output pin. Another IC, what I think is a dual diode BAV99 in an A7p package ( http://noel.feld.cvu...crobat/9904.pdf), is used with each Hall-Effect sensor on both boards, and between +12v and the Hall-effect sensor on the wind speed board. The A7p surface mount package has two diodes in series between two pins with the third pin the junction of the diodes. I made a schematic of both boards.

The maximum supply voltage that the UGN3503 is rated for is 8v. On the wind speed board the supply pin of the Hall-effect sensor is connected to +12v, and if this is the device used there, then it should eventually be a problem. The part number marking on the device was on the board side and I couldn't read the part number. Not wanting to make a problem, I just left it be, as it worked.

Here is the masthead unit schematic as I traced it out. It's a 640x480 .jpg, so you should be able to see it ok.

Anyway, I was able to fix my unit by replacing one of the UGN3505U devices on the wind direction board. Be careful if you try to do this, as most of the parts on the boards are surface mount and soldering can be a real issue if your hands shake at all. I bought 10 of these devices in case I ruined any while soldering, etc. The physical package of the devices I bought are about half the size of the packages used by Navman, so I took care to mount the device so it centered with the other one. Sorry I did not take pictures while I had the boards out.

I hope this helps anyone else who is having problems with their units.

Neilg

post-63948-051548700 1344796777_thumb.jpg

Nice job on fixing your masthead unit. I had a NAVMAN 3150 in 2007 and the sending unit died in less than 1 year. The displays fogged over too. The exact same thing happened to a friend of mine with his. We both ultimately replaced the NAVMAN with a TackTick system and have never regretted it. A few more $$$, but you get what you pay for.

The repair on the masthead unit was not a diode, but a Hall-Effect sensor on the wind direction board. Was it worth it? It was to me. I would like to find another masthead unit that I could repair and use as a spare -- just in case.

I installed my Navman system in 2005, and over the years I've replaced the all displays - depth, speed and wind. I was really fed up when the wind direction unit failed this time, just as we were preparing for a trip to the Bahamas. After looking at the cost of replacing just that part, I decided to dive in and see what I could do to fix it. And there was a lot of information on this site which helped a lot. It wasn't that hard, not counting having to go up the mast a few times.

Yes, Tick Tack might have been a better choice to start with.

Neil, Your efforts on documenting your repairs and tracing out the circuit (with component ID) are a valued piece of info to all Navman sufferers.

I am sure it will be appreciated by all.

I have given up on my Navman gear and gone to Furuno.

Cheers,

Jim B)

(73's de VK2BVJ)

Thanks for this info - I'm trying to fix my 3100 masthead unit and this is super useful. I have a spare actually which is working but seems to be calibrated wierdly.

Essentially - I zero the display when the masthead unit is at 0o but if I rotate the windvane to 180o the display reads 220o . Its as if the hall effect sensors are out of alignment or the magnet isn't working quite right? Just wondered if you guy had any ideas on this?

I'm going to work through the other unit as per your diagram. It doesn't seem to be getting power to the direction board for a start.

Cheers..

I doubt that the hall effect devices (UGN3505U) are misaligned as they are hard mounted on the small PC board at 90 degrees from each other. I suspect that one of the devices is not giving out the proper voltage. If you have the unit apart and can see the wind direction board, check for +5v power to the board, then measure the voltages on the white and yellow leads with respect to the black lead. You should 2.5v plus or minus 0.5v, or so, on both wires. If one is significantly lower than the other, you will get errors in the readout. You can test this with a small magnet, or with the vane itself on the bench. If you find either side is not working correctly, the sensor needs to be replaced as there is no way to repair the device itself. These devices are not expensive.

Be glad to help in any way I can.

Neil

Thanks Neil. The unit that was 'out of alignment' mysteriosly started working just fine yesterday....strange. Anyway, put it up the mast and we have working windgear!

The second unit isn't getting +5v to the direction board. There is 12v going to the speed board. I will have to try trace it back and see where it fails. I havn't done any of this since high school physics! Will let you know how I go.

Thanks for your advice.

There is a red wire and a black wire going between the boards that supply the +5v to the direction board. Black is ground/common. The wires break off their solder points very easily so you might just have a disconnected wire - or two. I had to redo all wire solder connections on my repair, on both boards, but I am all thumbs when it comes to soldering. If i could do it, anyone can.

Sorry I haven't check the topic posts for a while. Hope this helps.

I found this very interesting topic -

Reason i bought a Albin 79 sailboat with a partly mounted navman wind 3100s and multi 3100 and masthead unit.

The former owner have had a friend last year, to help him dismantle mast when the boat was taken off water, befor winter.

Instead of unscrew and unplug the wind/windspeed arm - he pulled it out by force - result is all lead conn is out of the plug. (5 ps - black/red/yellow/white/blue)

I cant find any virring dia vith color codes for the pin connections.

Next - in the other end of the cable from the masthead unit - there is no plug only 5 vires (brown/white/green/red/shield)

The display units has newer been connected - just mounted in the boat.

Maybe anyone here can give me some hints - i have been looking all over (i think) to find any advise.

Also been caling a local Navman dealer here i Denmark, with no luck. Oh yes send it all to him and he will send it somewhere foreign - told me price app 300$.

Therefore im asking for any advice in this topic.

I Hope my spelling is understandable / danish would be better / but i dont think i then would get any answers in this topic then.

regards Thomas

wentoff, if you look at the neilg's original post he includes a schematic which contains one of the connector pinouts. If you Google navman 3150 site:sailinganarchy.com you will find several more threads containing pinouts and other useful information.

I have 3 wind wands right now waiting repair. I paid for one, but Navman (before Navico) replaced the original twice under warranty and never asked for any back. One of our junior EE's who now races Wed nights with me is going to repair them all. I sent him the schematic above and he said that's all he he needs. We also have a potting room, so all 3 will be potted when done. I'll post here if I am able to get all 3 working and sell or give one away, but I may need at least one for parts and I would like to keep one as a spare. Should be interesting what the EE finds out, he's a tinkering sort and I am hopeful for RELIABLE wind info now that I have solved the missing digit issue in the other displays.

Hi DrewR, I am wondering just what part of the unit you are potting? Be careful, as once anything is potted, it is very hard to undo. Also, if you are giving any away, I would really like to have one. Thanks, Neil

I work in a facility that builds underwater devices so it will be potted (and if ever needed), de-potted by a pro. Not sure what it is, they regularly de-pot for warranty or other repairs.

I have them on the bench now, funny thing the one I had on all season that had 'dead zones' works as well as the one I had repaired. I have a spare brand new cable I am using on the bench, so now it may be the cabling in the mast that's the issue, I hope to poke around this weekend with the mast, but I'm not sure where the yard stowed if in the mast rack.

The 3rd wind wand is probably shot, the wind direction wobbles as the bushing it rides has gone eccentric (oval shaped).

Sounds like you know what you are doing. As for the cabling, usually the problems are at the ends where solder or crimp connections are made. Corrosion is the worst enemy. I saw evidence of this when I took mine apart, and redid all the solder joints in the "wand" unit. Actually, I replaced most of the wires going through the tube from the boards to the end connector. Good luck on your repair.

If you want to give up your third wand unit, I would like to have it.

Sounds like you know what you are doing. As for the cabling, usually the problems are at the ends where solder or crimp connections are made. Corrosion is the worst enemy. I saw evidence of this when I took mine apart, and redid all the solder joints in the "wand" unit. Actually, I replaced most of the wires going through the tube from the boards to the end connector. Good luck on your repair.

If you want to give up your third wand unit, I would like to have it.

Yeah I am lucky to be in an engineer in a facility that makes all kinds of cool devices. I have access to pro Mech,engineers, EE's, machinists, solderers, etc. And since it's a marine industry, any 'govt jobs' get a lot of interest. My co-workers love to work after hours on all kinds of projects.

I did the same as you, re-flowed all the solder on the circuit boards. I didn't actually do the soldering, a pro who does it full time did it for me under a big magnifying glass.

When I am done, I will likely be willing to give you the 3rd wand, I only want tow working units, and a backup.

Also, I may spring for B&G's this winter, if I do I will post a whole lot of Navman gear. I have 3 wands a bunch of working displays (repaired), 1 analog, 1 digital winds, 2 or 3 repeaters, 1 or 2 depth, 1 or 2 speed displays and the related transducers. Along with a Brookhouse NMEA mux. I will post a note here first.before I fleaBay them.

My Northstar wand leaked at the plastic nut (guess that O ring in there was not flush with the top of it- all the more reason to do the work yourself), allowing water to get into the back of the female connector in the wand. By the time I got it off the mast, the back of the female connector was green mush, and the wires just pulled away from it. Fortunately though, I had a spare and encased the connection with rubbaweld tape. Does anyone know where to find the OEM female connector?

I doubt that either Northstar or Navman used a custom connector, so it should be possible to find a source for the part. DrewR might be the best person to answer this an he has some units on the bench, and he is an engineer working with/around marine devices. Or maybe Northstar might give us a part number and manufacturer.

Yes, most connectors are not custom made and are off the shelf pieces. The problem is finding the shelf they are on. We have literally hundred of catalogs as thick as the old Sears Catalogs (even bigger and on thin thin paper) with nothing but connectors. Without some kind of number on the part, good luck finding it. I have 3 wands on my bench at home, I will see what I can see and try to source it, but the odds are slim.

There are no visible marks on the male part. I will disassemble the wand and see if get any more info and bring one in and let one of our expert sourcing people have a look at it. Likely I will get a bible sized catalog dumped on my desk, but I will see...

Hello all,

Would anyone on this forum know where I can buy a spare rotating cup assembly. Mine fell off the wand.

Best Regards,

Siboneysail

Hi Bruce,

My masthead unit for a Northstar wind unit needs replacing. Possibly one of your masthead units would work.

Please send and email to Richard@halapin.org if they are still available and prices. Thanks.

Rich Halapin