Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikeR80

san francisco bay anarchy

Bob is saying not a 3BF racer in the three bridge thread. A shame nevertheless. Glad they were rescued. It was cold, windy and a big ebb.

I see the usual suspects in the U20 bunch did well as they usually do. I also see one of the newer U20 owners greatly improved his results over prior years good for him!! M20 finally found its way to the top of the pile also nice work!

Also hats off to the pair of relative noobs to the game (Nico and Jacques) on their Jeanneau Sunfast 3200 'Dare Dare' for getting a third. Major kudos.

damn that was a fun first 3BF. forgive my ignorance, but will they be releasing an overall scoring?

3BF was great fun. Second time since 2009 I have had my boat on the water and it showed :-) guess I need to remember how to sail her but also get some sails that are not 8 years old. Took my friend out who hasn't sailed in three years and handed him the helm he did a great job but I think we might have scared a few people at blackhaller - sorry about that! My tactic was to make sure I was close to the club for the crab feed when the wind died and as we all know it didn't which was awesome. A great race with plenty of smiles.

Just hijacking the thread a little we are putting on more training courses in March - including ISAF Sea Survival at SFYC please feel free to sign up at http://www.sfyc.org/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=368709&ssid=281303&vnf=1 Quite a few from SA have been on the courses in 2012.

Have a great weekend

Umm if you mean Wednesday ........I'll be there to pick up some prizes (3rd mono hull to finish 1st Sport boat Div) and pass out all of the Rum and other stuff to the winners in the Unauthorized Divisions.

Just got this in my inbox, anyone planning to welcome them in? From the viewpoint of one who's come in under the gate a few times, I know it's awful nice to be greeted by smiles and waves.

Welcome Maserati to San Francisco Bay

The New York to San Francisco sailing record is set to be broken this weekend when Maserati sails under the Golden Gate bridge. It’s another fabulous opportunity to involve the Bay Area public in San Francisco Bay’s epic sailing heritage.

You are encouraged to invite your friends, family and customers to sail out and welcome them and participate in the on shore celebration. It is a rare opportunity to have another global sailing legend, Italian Giovani Soldini, visit our Bay and worthy of a generous Bay area turn out.

Room for photographers? If you are planning to go out on a powerboat and would have room for a photographer? If so, email outreach@sailSFBay.org

Naturally the precise time of arrival won’t be known but you can follow the action here.

If you would like get more involved in organizing the welcoming festivities, inviting the local Italian community or other interested groups email outreach@sailSFBay.org

Here is more information in a recent press release. Send it out to your customers or post on your Facebook page:

Giovanni Soldini and Maserati are 730 miles from the destination.

The arrival is expected on February 16th

Maserati is facing some demanding weather conditions, with light and unstable winds that force the crew to make continuous tacks and sail changes. Only 730 miles – in a direct route – separate the VOR70 from San Francisco: the arrival is now expected on February 16th.

"We are sailing close-hauled with a light, unsteady wind – says Giovanni – there are still 730 miles to go to San Francisco but that's in a direct route: there will be at least 950 if we consider all the tacking. I don't think we will arrive before February 16th because unfortunately the wind will drop a little, according to the weather forecast".

Giovanni Soldini and a crew of eight sailors aboard Maserati left New York on December 31st, 2012 to attempt the record of the historic Golden Route (13.225 miles from New York to San Francisco, rounding Cape Horn). The time reference for the monohull category – 57 days and 3 hours – was set by Yves Parlier on board of Aquitaine Innovations.

At this link you can follow Giovanni Soldini and his team’s navigation from New York to San Francisco almost live, 24 hours a day: videos and photos sent from aboard, news and comments form the crew members. At Cartography page, the position of Maserati is updated every hour to experience the challenge of Soldini and his team surfing from home.

NEW YORK – SAN FRANCISCO RECORD STORY

The 13225 nautical miles that separate New York from San Francisco via Cape Horn, are an historic route, widely travelled by clippers that were involved in the goldrush starting from the second half of 1800. The best result of the time was set in 1854 by Flying Cloud, exceptional vessel from the Boston shipyards, that reached San Francisco in 89 days and 21 hours, a record that stood for more than 130 years.

After several attempts by many boats, the 60-foot Thursday's Child of Warren Luhrs arrived in San Francisco after 80 days and 20 hours in 1989. In 1994, Isabelle Autissier aboard Ecureuil Poitou took 62 days and 5 hours. Then, in 1998, Yves Parlier on board Aquitaine Innovations has dropped to 57 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes. This is the reference record for Giovanni Soldini and his crew who will try to beat it aboard the VOR70 Maserati, from the second half of December 2012.

The overall record in the multihull category belongs to Lionel Lemonchois that made the journey in 43 days and 38 minutes aboard Gitana 13 in 2008.

Sorry y'all I've had a bit on. I'll be heading south on Dorade this morning. Anyone have detail on the accident with the sail boat in Racoon Straits yesterday (Saturday 2/16)?

Maserati entering SF Bay at 10:30 this morning.

IMG_8091.jpg

Great catch!

Sorry y'all I've had a bit on. I'll be heading south on Dorade this morning. Anyone have detail on the accident with the sail boat in Racoon Straits yesterday (Saturday 2/16)?

I it was a speedboat that collided with the ferry. It was "traveling at a high rate of speed". Here's a news video with photos of the speedboat: http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/san-francisco-two-injured-after-boat-collides-with/vqxzW/

I was out on the chase boat takin pics yesterday. Great to see this record smashed!

post-23955-0-40244700-1361126623_thumb.jpgpost-23955-0-32666800-1361126729_thumb.jpg

GCMarine (Gilles Combrisson) does good work, but he's busy with my boat!

Thanks SMB, i will give him a ring...

Turns out, the boat that gouged my cruiser is owned by the SF Dolphin swim and row club. Anybody know anybody over there? The offending person, Mr. Mueller, is not responding to my requests to settle up on this.

GCMarine (Gilles Combrisson) does good work, but he's busy with my boat!

No, he is working on some stuff for me.

When I gouged the crap out of my topsides, I had the (Insurance-paid) repair done at Svend's , quality of the work was excellent, though expensive.

Giles did most of the deck and new rigging work for us in our Pac Cup prep, two big batches of work.

X takes a holiday - the workboat Bob swung by the GGYC yesterday and pulled X, presumably for a bit of R&R somewhere like the Richmond Riviera. I assume it will return after AC34 tan, rested, and yellower than ever.

2013-07-01-x_pulling-9460.jpg