Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

corkob

Volvo Ocean Race 2014-2015 Entrants

..........but I think the girls have their nose in front now.

......you seem to have extra details than the Vsail article....(??)

..........but I think the girls have their nose in front now.

......you seem to have extra details than the Vsail article....(??)

You can get a feel for their progress from vesselfinder.com.

But its hard to but too much stake on what it shows when they're close together because their positions are not necessarily updating at the same time.

xnL5m21.png

All 3 boats on port gybe making approximately 16-18 kts. Looks like Campos played it close to the shore along the East side of Lanzarote, whilst the other too were on longer gybes. Campos and Brunel trading the lead and putting already about 8 miles ahead of SCA.

Some nice shots. Some of hose sentences read like google translate. The full length chine is not pleasing to my eye.

Karma got me!

Was in a crappy mood. Sorry about that. I wasn't really paying much attention either... There is one sentence with a missing word or something...

The Spanish team might the latest entry, officially announced a month ago, but with a crew that counts some of the world’s best offshore sailors it is certain they will make giant strides forward.

Not much worse than my "hose" instead of "those".

For those complaining about the lack of no bullshit comparison between the two boats, there is a two pages interview of Charles Caudrelier, team Dongfeng skipper in the latest Voiles et Voiliers issue. It is presented under the form of a comparison between VOR70 / VOR65 since C. Caudrelier had the chance to experiment both.

In short:

VOR70 has about 10 tonnes.m more RM than the VOR65 (38-40 tonnes.m for 28-30 tonnes.m)

they weigh about the same: 14 tonnes for the 70, between 13 and 14 for the 65 once fully loaded.

Bulb weight has been heavily reduced. It is not clearly mentionned so I am wondering: keel fin is Stainless Steel, was it composite for some 70s?

On deck: less exposed cockpit.

Below decks: more "comfortable" than a 70, but crap galley and nav station ergonomics compared to Groupama 4.

Big change to him is the crew number: having two navigators fully off-watch like before will not be possible anymore. He assumes singlehanded sailors will be a big asset onboard. And says that the girls with 3 more crewmembers are at a huge advantage, especially since they are "built like athletes". (I tend to agree: on this size of yachts, the loads are far beyond anything a human can handle without mechanical assistance anyway: being able to pull 20kg more is not going to help much on a rope with more than a ton of tension)...

One Design: it definitely makes the boats more robust. Less scared of breaking everything if pushing too hard. You need the support of most of the teams to bring changes to the strict OD rules. Organisation seems cooperative on that aspect, and there is no room for hidden tuning/tweaking. All teams have access to the rating cert. of all other teams.

Reliability: a few systems that needed fixing/adjusting here and there but the boats seem overall well made.

The 2 photos of SCA on the VS site have them with the sails stacked to leeward... Hope that was not for long.

DSC_7348_1.JPG

Bulb weight has been heavily reduced. It is not clearly mentionned so I am wondering: keel fin is Stainless Steel, was it composite for some 70s?

Composite fins have never been allowed in the VO70. Always milled steel. This was a very good thing IMHO.

Team SCA should pull a Team Austrailia in the AC and just pull out now cause they know they can't win. Embarrassing that they have been sailing the boat longer than anyone else and are that off the pace, even worse for them that Iker and team have been at it for a week and are leaps and bounds ahead of them.

Team SCA should pull a Team Austrailia in the AC and just pull out now cause they know they can't win. Embarrassing that they have been sailing the boat longer than anyone else and are that off the pace, even worse for them that Iker and team have been at it for a week and are leaps and bounds ahead of them.

2 things:

1) Despite the time differential on the 65 there will still be more big boat experience on the either Brunel or Mapfre than on SCA. Other than something like this VOR team there is little or no chance of women sailing together on big boats.

2) Leaps and bounds? How do you know that? If you looked at the first 2 legs of the last VOR would you have told Groupama to give up and go home, or are you just a troll?

Not sure exactly how they are doing, but I expect that they are in for the duration and I admire them for that. And this is one race and hopefully they will learn from it, and do better in the VOR because of it. The VOR is about more than just winning (as most races are).

Nice looking set of brand new sails. Not even logoed yet..http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lx0KCzLcFNs/U8qej8USrCI/AAAAAAAAnpU/h4uLKGBy6AU/s1600/DSC_7441_1.JPG.

Just wondering if that might affect upwind performance?

My boat seems to point better and go faster after I have just bought new sails, or is that just my imagination?

...certainly always get that feeling when a new sail replaces a shagged one---I wouldn't think the difference would be so uge between the VO's,though I guess the SCA's have the most mileage

Think you guys are overreacting a bit re: SCA based on what, one day of sailing?

They tried one little move closer to the mainland that didn't really work out for them, but they don't look to be off the pace other than that.

Brunel put some distance on Campos lately too. Should they go home also?

2 things:

1) Despite the time differential on the 65 there will still be more big boat experience on the either Brunel or Mapfre than on SCA. Other than something like this VOR team there is little or no chance of women sailing together on big boats.

2) Leaps and bounds? How do you know that? If you looked at the first 2 legs of the last VOR would you have told Groupama to give up and go home, or are you just a troll?

First, I don't really think they should quit, I was trying to poke a bit of fun at Team AUS for quitting, but I am a bit shocked at SCA's performance.

When you look at what happened in the first two legs last time tactically groupama faultered, but with the amount of time SCA has had I thought they'd be infront or right with Brunel right now. I'm not saying just cause they are losing they should give up, I am shocked that they aren't at the front.

This is a round islands race. Not what the VO65 was designed for. These type of races are a bit of a lottery. It's how they will square up in a long leg with the additional bodies remains to be seen. I expect they will be well up there. Team Campos and Brunel are going to be tough nuts to crack. No amateurs there.

This is a round islands race. Not what the VO65 was designed for. These type of races are a bit of a lottery. It's how they will square up in a long leg with the additional bodies remains to be seen. I expect they will be well up there. Team Campos and Brunel are going to be tough nuts to crack. No amateurs there.

And yet they are OD - so it doesn't matter WHAT they are designed for. Keep up.

Thats what I like about this OD race. It accentuates the question of "What does it really take to win?"

There is something to that.

in the end:

1) campos

2) brunel

3) sca

In this race? Campos has their work cut out for them, then.

Thats what I like about this OD race. It accentuates the question of "What does it really take to win?"

There is something to that.

+1

as per this morning, Brunel is leading by 20nm. The girls are very close to Iker & co. Drag reaching game until the end from now on.

The 2 photos of SCA on the VS site have them with the sails stacked to leeward... Hope that was not for long.

DSC_7348_1.JPG

Shifting the stack would have cast a shadow and interfered with the tanning, you know that you can't interfere with the tanning.

To the folk who posted the following comments: -

1) The 2 photos of SCA on the VS site have them with the sails stacked to leeward... Hope that was not for long.

2) Team SCA should pull a Team Austrailia in the AC and just pull out now cause they know they can't win. Embarrassing that they have been sailing the boat longer than anyone else and are that off the pace, even worse for them that Iker and team have been at it for a week and are leaps and bounds ahead of them.

3) Shifting the stack would have cast a shadow and interfered with the tanning, you know that you can't interfere with the tanning.

Re 1) You must know the photo was taken pre-start and the stack is actually on the correct side. 2) Team SCA have been selecting crew most of the time since there are not too many girls around who have the relevant experience and they have hardly done any racing yet as a crew, and 3) Do you really think anyone except you thinks that is a very funny joke?

Pretty sad, you folk who get a kick out of making these kind of comments.

Ok, let's shuffle the deck...

Who is the 7th team? Come on insiders!!!!

ETNZ keeping a feet in two shoes as it has not fulfilled the pllication for the next AC?

You must know the photo was taken pre-start and the stack is actually on the correct side.

Pretty sad, you folk who get a kick out of making these kind of comments.

I did not know that. How must I know that? There is almost no coverage of this race. No, I didn't get a kick out of it. I noticed it. And commented that I noticed it. And I said I hoped it was not for long.

Not sure which is more dim, this thread or saying this thread accentuates what it really takes to win.

Heh-heh. Oh, please funnycar - become the shining beacon for the thread.

My point is, if if individual design is taken out of the equation - then it becomes much more about the talent on the boat. I think that's good.

You might not. And that's okay...except for the fact you're wrong.

Ok, let's shuffle the deck...

Who is the 7th team? Come on insiders!!!!

ETNZ keeping a feet in two shoes as it has not fulfilled the pllication for the next AC?

I was hoping Mean Machine might, but considering they faded away a few years ago and Peter de Ridder is 68, it won't be them

Soldini and crew must still rate as a possibility. But Maserati won't be a welcome sponsor. He does however have a complete team of experienced sailors sitting in a VO70 as we speak.

Whatever the 7th team is, they must have a complete crew, and a crew of race seasoned sailors. There is zero time to get up to speed now. Not for a whole crew. So, what are they sailing?

It would be interesting to look around and take an inventory of the VO70s still sailing. There might be a clue. There are three down here in Oz, but I doubt there is an Oz team, and if there were, they would not be playing coy. A few more are easy to find, some current teams have one. A couple more are sailing in rather reduced circumstances. But there must be close to ten I have no idea about. I wonder where they are?

I'm going to bet it actually is Soldini with the 7th team. For no other reason than I can't think of anyone else. I rate it as about 20% chance. But I have no idea who to fill the other 80% in with. I still wish it was Cammas, but that is pretty clearly not going to happen.

as per this morning, Brunel is leading by 20nm. The girls are very close to Iker & co. Drag reaching game until the end from now on.

10 hours later, and not much has changed. Pretty much wrapped up now. Nobody has made any gains on anyone else. Given the nature of the race, I think the only things we can infer form the results is that no one is uncompetitive, and as we expected, navigation is going to win you the race.

10 hours later, and not much has changed. Pretty much wrapped up now. Nobody has made any gains on anyone else. Given the nature of the race, I think the only things we can infer form the results is that no one is uncompetitive, and as we expected, navigation is going to win you the race.

..sounds exciting,,can't wait........no 'breaks' for design advantages = lots of pressure on all,,especially the Nav's

Not sure which is more dim, this thread or saying this thread accentuates what it really takes to win.

My point is, if if individual design is taken out of the equation - then it becomes much more about the talent on the boat. I think that's good.

The best team didn't win the last VOR? I suppose if you are Ian Walker you believe that.

good battle going on between Boat 2 and Boat 7.......

is there a passing lane for Boat 2 before the finish ........

I would guess not, though they may have a few sail changes as they hit the acceleration zone at the bottom of Lanzarote. Maybe a drop in pressure as the sun goes down.

The best team didn't win the last VOR? I suppose if you are Ian Walker you believe that.

Groupama definitely had the best combo. So yes. The best team won.

Let's see what kind of breakages we have in this race. At this level it's usually he who breaks less or breaks at the most opportune time is he who wins. The OD approach evens out that part of the equation. So it will be interesting to watch.

If these OD

I think we might see a lot of match racing around the world...

.....I'd think it'd be more like tight fleet racing,,,,perhaps match racing if 2 breakaway either to the front or back ;)

Hello from far away lands. So... there are 6 teams on the water, and a 7th in the wings. Number 7 chose not to announce until all other entries were announced, and thus is able to capitalize on the media attention entering so close tot he start. The announcement is expected sometime mid-August, as they plan to announce as close to the Alicante assembly date - 8 September 2014 - as possible. The team is well funded, and well crewed.

Hello from far away lands. So... there are 6 teams on the water, and a 7th in the wings. Number 7 chose not to announce until all other entries were announced, and thus is able to capitalize on the media attention entering so close tot he start. The announcement is expected sometime mid-August, as they plan to announce as close to the Alicante assembly date - 8 September 2014 - as possible. The team is well funded, and well crewed.

Sorry, but I don't buy the media splash argument at all. You tried the same one with the Spanish team with Mich's announcement (who is still only officially a coach), and there was no major media attention, just the expected anyhow from the sailing media and the hard core fans like us. IMHO only reason to delay is lack of funding or internal politics at a sponsor (at Mapfre most likely).

Anyway, at the end it doesn't really matter, hopefully team #7 makes it. As just proven by Campos, the OD element levels the field big time. With less the a week of sailing on the VO65, they managed to beat the best funded team. On the crew, some of the usual suspects from ETNZ must be the ones involved... Nico, etc.

Holy Crap I hope the VOR is fun to follow this time around. With the AC turning into a complete debacle I need the VOR to fill the void.

WetHog :ph34r:

mikemt with all due respect, I am sorry that the actual explanations of fact, are not sufficient for you. The game of sponsorship is very different, and funding has been extremely difficult to attain without significant help from private entities and race organizers. the companies that are well versed in the realm of sports, especially extreme sports, as a means of marketing, have steered clear of the race. For heavens sake, even the company hired to do metrics for the event could not find an interested party to sponsor a team. This edition in particular has been extremely challenging, due to myriad factors, notwithstanding the simple fact that the commercial elements of the race are almost entirely controlled by VOR. In fact, VOR has been involved in every sponsorship negation. The Spaniards opted not to make a significant announcement, because it is costly to do so with any ROI, and somewhat unnecessary at this late stage.

Additionally, what difference does it make that MD is listed as a coach? Should we not be thrilled that he is involved in any capacity. Given the history of TC, and the way it conducts itself, should we not be ever hopeful hat he will be aboard for the entire duration of this auspicious offshore event. Daft I dare say, daft you are.

thanks.

Holy Crap I hope the VOR is fun to follow this time around. With the AC turning into a complete debacle I need the VOR to fill the void.

speculating, but I think the racing is going to be for real, everybody is going to have to scrap to take miles.

mikemt with all due respect, I am sorry that the actual explanations of fact, are not sufficient for you. The game of sponsorship is very different, and funding has been extremely difficult to attain without significant help from private entities and race organizers. the companies that are well versed in the realm of sports, especially extreme sports, as a means of marketing, have steered clear of the race. For heavens sake, even the company hired to do metrics for the event could not find an interested party to sponsor a team. This edition in particular has been extremely challenging, due to myriad factors, notwithstanding the simple fact that the commercial elements of the race are almost entirely controlled by VOR. In fact, VOR has been involved in every sponsorship negation. The Spaniards opted not to make a significant announcement, because it is costly to do so with any ROI, and somewhat unnecessary at this late stage.

Additionally, what difference does it make that MD is listed as a coach? Should we not be thrilled that he is involved in any capacity. Given the history of TC, and the way it conducts itself, should we not be ever hopeful hat he will be aboard for the entire duration of this auspicious offshore event. Daft I dare say, daft you are.

thanks for acknowledging the fact that the delay in announcing is due to lack of funding/sponsors, not because of media. That was just my point, as I am very well aware of the tremendous difficulties to raise 12-15 Million Euros (+activation) for this event. I was anyhow convinced that seven boats were going to be on the starting line, since seven were being built and Volvo has the means to financially help the purchase of it (via leasing, straight cash, whatsoever).

Anyhow, as I tried to say before, for the average viewer and Volvo's target audience, it doesn't matter when the teams are announced or how long are they training. These people will only follow once the race has started and once some drama unfolds (hopefully nothing major happens).

Daft? I had to check this one on the dictionary, I have to admit. A pity we are getting personal. Nobody is perfect, I guess, not even our friend Krash.

speculating, but I think the racing is going to be for real, everybody is going to have to scrap to take miles.

...yeh,,,there were some close finishes in past rounds....it'll only be closer this time!

thanks for acknowledging the fact that the delay in announcing is due to lack of funding/sponsors, not because of media. That was just my point, as I am very well aware of the tremendous difficulties to raise 12-15 Million Euros (+activation) for this event. I was anyhow convinced that seven boats were going to be on the starting line, since seven were being built and Volvo has the means to financially help the purchase of it (via leasing, straight cash, whatsoever).

Anyhow, as I tried to say before, for the average viewer and Volvo's target audience, it doesn't matter when the teams are announced or how long are they training. These people will only follow once the race has started and once some drama unfolds (hopefully nothing major happens).

Daft? I had to check this one on the dictionary, I have to admit. A pity we are getting personal. Nobody is perfect, I guess, not even our friend Krash.

mikemt,

I apologize that you took my "daft" statement as an insult. It was a cheeky comment in specific reference to MD and his role with TC. It was not intended to be an insult at all. By definition it means silly, or foolish. I used the word in reference to your comment regarding MD "who is still only officially a coach", as MD is much more than that, which should be fully apparent by now.

post-50356-0-03577000-1406035774_thumb.jpg

mikemt,

I apologize that you took my "daft" statement as an insult. It was a cheeky comment in specific reference to MD and his role with TC. It was not intended to be an insult at all. By definition it means silly, or foolish. I used the word in reference to your comment regarding MD "who is still only officially a coach", as MD is much more than that, which should be fully apparent by now.

apologies accepted. No issue. On MD, yeap, it is clear that he is going to play a huge role in the team. Not sure why they are not announcing it properly... . The internal politics at Team Campos are always very intriguing.

I always take it as a compliment if they call me daft :)

But come on, who is the 7th...

It would surprise me if it was a Dutch effort with Russian money, as mentioned before, in the current political state both countries are in.

I always take it as a compliment if they call me daft :)

But come on, who is the 7th...

It would surprise me if it was a Dutch effort with Russian money, as mentioned before, in the current political state both countries are in.

....yeh,,could be some 'infighting' if it's a Dutch/Ruskie effort :mellow:

the companies that are well versed in the realm of sports, especially extreme sports, as a means of marketing, have steered clear of the race. For heavens sake, even the company hired to do metrics for the event could not find an interested party to sponsor a team. This edition in particular has been extremely challenging, due to myriad factors, notwithstanding the simple fact that the commercial elements of the race are almost entirely controlled by VOR. In fact, VOR has been involved in every sponsorship negation. The Spaniards opted not to make a significant announcement, because it is costly to do so with any ROI, and somewhat unnecessary at this late stage.

The problem wasn't box rule/one design. The problem is Volvo. Why would any team not wait until the very last possible moment to announce? There is nothing to be gained by it. No ROI at all, and no competitive advantage at all.

the companies that are well versed in the realm of sports, especially extreme sports, as a means of marketing, have steered clear of the race. For heavens sake, even the company hired to do metrics for the event could not find an interested party to sponsor a team. This edition in particular has been extremely challenging, due to myriad factors, notwithstanding the simple fact that the commercial elements of the race are almost entirely controlled by VOR. In fact, VOR has been involved in every sponsorship negation. The Spaniards opted not to make a significant announcement, because it is costly to do so with any ROI, and somewhat unnecessary at this late stage.

The problem wasn't box rule/one design. The problem is Volvo. Why would any team not wait until the very last possible moment to announce? There is nothing to be gained by it. No ROI at all, and no competitive advantage at all.

navigation

The race is going to be a truly great spectacle to watch, as the racing is going to rely solely on the crew, and the individual navigation decisions that are made. At this point, there is no need to announce other than to say, we are racing. There is nothing to be gained, and as I said previously, the media attention required to gain any pre-race ROI is expensive, and a sum that should not be spent when teams are still struggling to secure full funding.

Krashwerks cryptic bullshit as usual

navigation

The race is going to be a truly great spectacle to watch, as the racing is going to rely solely on the crew, and the individual navigation decisions that are made. At this point, there is no need to announce other than to say, we are racing. There is nothing to be gained, and as I said previously, the media attention required to gain any pre-race ROI is expensive, and a sum that should not be spent when teams are still struggling to secure full funding.

Interesting. Why do you think the ROI before the race is expensive? In my experience it is not. If you time it right you can garner better media attention per dollar due to not sharing it with all the other teams. During the race the media coverage basically covers the leader and the current boat having a problem (eg Hugo Boss).

To be honest it is my experience that classic media ROI is a bad reason to choose to do the VOR. You need to be thinking of internal communication, ROO, or simply commercial deals. VOR just does not give a high enough ratio on ROI to give most corporations enough reason to get involved.

...you can talk :mellow:

....... ''Location:This side of the Atlantic Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....''

....... ''Location:This side of the Atlantic Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....''

Very rarely... and I mean VERY... are you funny. This is one of those times :lol:

To be fair he's been more accurate than most. IMO

Very rarely... and I mean VERY... are you funny. This is one of those times :lol:

....thanks Lefty....I suppose sometimes I try too hard to be funny,,

..........but -you- make it easy!! :lol::lol:

I am not sure how my commentary can be construed as cryptic, or bullshit. :( Additionally, the ROI of announcing a team, especially a European team during the World Cup period simply did not make economic sense, as the announcement would have been on the bottom of the sports page. If a team has yet to fully develop its B2B platform, nor it's full activation plan, announcing is simply an afterthought, as it does not benefit a particular stakeholder. I will be interested in reading the press coverage and interviews from the prize giving at Marina Rubicon. It will be nice to see how each skipper feels about the vessels under race conditions.

No, please... Soldini no...

Saw some mention of Maserati but discounted it because it's usually all bullshit on that page ;-)

Touché

strange, especially considering it is the highest profile ocean race in the world.

I'm guessing that they didn't have the budget to do something that they thought was befitting of the event, and they want to focus on the actual race that is the highest profile ocean race in the world.

I'm guessing that they didn't have the budget to do something that they thought was befitting of the event, and they want to focus on the actual race that is the highest profile ocean race in the world.

A small effort such as what the Vendée Globe organizers do on their website wouldn't cost that much and would start bringing the attention to their race. It's an opportunity to remind the potential audience when their race starts grabbing their attention with real racing news rather than silly behind the scenes videos.

But there is no surprise there. Since 1994 Whitbread/VOR has never made any effort to create a dynamic around their class of boats engaged in other events. As if it could be detrimental to their status of "highest profile ocean race in the world" (whatever that is supposed to mean).

......"highest profile ocean race in the world"...would perhaps seem appropriate only while the race is underway,,,but certainly there's other races that can easily claim that title ,,,when they're underway too --the SydHoRace comes to mind

...I'd suggest that each time things go quiet like this ,,,,that we in the 'bleechers' start shouting and chucking things at the stage.....until they send-up some entertainment :rolleyes:

...who'd buy a volva anyways --about as un-entertaining as things can be <_<

....a showdown of the 3 boats.....and the VO world goes silent----I don't get it :mellow:

They've all left the building already?

pretty interesting scoop from the front page about the Mean Machine owner sailing with a VO65 (which one??)... this could be definitely be team #7 as a rich owner wouldn't care about the early training and the media attention, and would fit with the rumors saying that the seventh team was from Dutch origin...

....''PDR is many things, but stupid is not one of them''.............yeh,,Clean's got that corner covered already. :)

...rumor mill indeed. :mellow:

You shure blackdam? What media? Well one of the VOR main sponsors are danish. They are already into sailing (but with cargo) and probably one of the few Danish company's with enough funds.

Blackdam is correct. It is a large Danish company with a global presence. As I have said previously, they are expected to announce Mid-August.

Blackdam is correct. It is a large Danish company with a global presence. As I have said previously, they are expected to announce Mid-August.

I'm betting on Holmatro.

Dont think Holmatro is Danish. Could be Vestas wind systems or Maersk shipping. But more important, who will crew it???

If its true it would be the first Danish entry since SAS Baia Viking in Whitbread 85-86. I keep my fingers crossed! Would be an enormous boost for Danish sailing.

I had the pleasure of "racing" against Brunel in the Round Sealand Race in June. Pleasure was short though.

Made a video from the Race: https://vimeo.com/100827921 45 seconds into the video Brunel passes in the background sporting a huge code 0 and that was it. But big ups to the Brunel team for participating in the Race!

Dont think Holmatro is Danish. Could be Vestas wind systems or Maersk shipping. But more important, who will crew it???

If its true it would be the first Danish entry since SAS Baia Viking in Whitbread 85-86. I keep my fingers crossed! Would be an enormous boost for Danish sailing.

I had the pleasure of "racing" against Brunel in the Round Sealand Race in June. Pleasure was short though.

Made a video from the Race: https://vimeo.com/100827921 45 seconds into the video Brunel passes in the background sporting a huge code 0 and that was it. But big ups to the Brunel team for participating in the Race!

You're right, I mixed up Dutch and Danish. Oops!

I would be pretty awesome if it were Maersk. That is a whole different level of sponsorship, and would made some degree of sense given their long term relationship with the race.

OTOH, Lego would be a brilliant left field sponsor. I don't think that historically they have done any such sponsorship, so seems less than likely. But maybe we could have Lego VO65 kits. At least there would be an excuse for the hard chines.

Maersk is in heavily involved in the event as the official shipping partner of the race. They assumed the role of Thrane&Thrane.

The mystery sponsor is not Maersk, and it is not Lego.

Think Sail Rocket - and you will get the sponsor. Think Australian and previous skipper and you will get the man in charge.