Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

corkob

Volvo Ocean Race 2014-2015 Entrants

Well said Clean. :)

This has been a very very difficult program for me to keep quiet about, because it is really exciting, very credible, and well funded..

And the media frenzy may, or may not come, as there is speculation as to whether a last minute sponsor or two will be arriving to join the party as supporting members of an existing team quite close to the start... a la Pescanova in 2005-2006. One can only hope for the best.

This is going to be a wonderful race, and I am especially excited about the Auckland and Newport stopovers. It will be wonderful to bring a sailor's event to these tremendous sailing communities.

Nicholson? that's fuckin awesome, more big guns, better race. are they even on the water yet?

just talked to nico. a very funny conversation, and yes, i can confirm that he said 'no comment.'

So yeah, he's in.

From the front page (two minutes ago), we once again scoop the world, thanks in part to you guys! I found out about Nicho on Thursday and have been frantically working the comms for confirmation, which i got last night. As I wrote the story, you guys came up with the Vestas stuff, which I have now confirmed too. Nice work!

http://sailinganarchy.com/2014/08/02/lucky-number-7/

just talked to nico. a very funny conversation, and yes, i can confirm that he said 'no comment.'

So yeah, he's in.

From the front page (two minutes ago), we once again scoop the world, thanks in part to you guys! I found out about Nicho on Thursday and have been frantically working the comms for confirmation, which i got last night. As I wrote the story, you guys came up with the Vestas stuff, which I have now confirmed too. Nice work!

Nice work, Mr Clean.

So yeah, he's in.

Nice work, Mr Clean.

+1

OK. So less than 8 weeks to get this show on the road. Go, Nicho.

Freakin' awesome. I was all in for Charlie and the boys - but Nico just blurred the loyalty lines for me quite a bit. He's a monster.

....... we once again scoop the world, ,,,,

.....soo that's twice now!!?...way t'go SA!

.......how many misfires? :mellow:

I'm a bit sad the mystery has been solved but very happy to see Nico back in the saddle.

Bonus points to whomever correctly identifies the crew list?

A big thumbs up to Vestas (TBC).

I now know who I'm pulling for this go round

me too, Nico is going to make his opponents cry with frustration and soul crushing position reports, he gonna float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, he gonna catch one wave and surf it all the way around the wurll, he gonn, er, the bar has just been raised.

So despite 1 year of bitching on the forum we have:

1. An all women team, well prepared and out to prove something

2. Bouwe Bekking and Andrew Cape on one boat

3. Iker, Xabi + Michel Desjoyaux on one boat

4. Young guns (plus old Aussie) from America / New Zealand

5. Nico and unkown crew

6. Ian Walker and crew with a lot to prove

7. French stars with chinese friends

And all have the same kit, no excuses there.

Should be good.

This is just great!!! As a Danish guy, this is a dream come true. :rolleyes: I now hope, we`ll get some Danish guys on board. :D

5. Nico and unkown crew

Should be good.

+1

This is just great!!! As a Danish guy, this is a dream come true. :rolleyes: I now hope, we`ll get some Danish guys on board. :D

It is awesome news and will bring this race alive! Nico is an awesome guy and has a pretty crackpot team sorted - whether you get a danish sailor to two I don't know! Perhaps an OBR ;)

Wasn't someone a while back sfutzing that Knut was going to get sacked over the "poor turnout" (both in quantity and quality) in this race? That he'd utterly failed?

Ahm...nope.

wow way to go nicko

gunna have to get the 12 gb package to watch this one around the world ! and best of all a wind company to boot this is gunna be good

5. Nico and unkown crew

Should be good.

...great lineup indeed...something for everyone it seems,,,,

I now know who I'm pulling for this go round

me too, Nico is going to make his opponents cry with frustration and soul crushing position reports, he gonna float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, he gonna catch one wave and surf it all the way around the wurll, he gonn, er, the bar has just been raised.

.....funny. Hopefully OD will mean no whining from Nic's boat this time.

......... I now hope, we`ll get some Danish guys on board. :D

.........yeh,,,can think of a couple of Dane's who are up to snuff,,would be a good tie-in for Danish sponsorship,,

,,one or two more guys who weren't far off the Martinez pace in skiffs couldn't hurt either ;)

Wasn't someone a while back sfutzing that Knut was going to get sacked over the "poor turnout" (both in quantity and quality) in this race? That he'd utterly failed?

Ahm...nope.

Just the usual suspects. I seem to remember you piling on, too?

Ahm...nope.

Hell, they aren't even in the doldrums yet. About 38,739 nm to sail and then we can talk success/failure.

Not sure if this has been posted/discussed. Interesting that the offshore races this go around are NOT weighted in terms of overall points. That is, the inshore races will scored the same. 1 for a win, 7 for the wooden spoon.

Ahm...nope.

You "seem to remember me piling on" Knut? Can you pull that up?

Am I a grifter too?

great news, wonder how many of the ex-Camper & ETNZ crew will be involved - Navigator a key one

great news, wonder how many of the ex-Camper & ETNZ crew will be involved - Navigator a key one

Well Ox is already with Alvi so there's no going back there. I'm not so sure this is going to be a predominately ETZN crewed time as Nico must have had an inkling of what was going on for some time and you would have thought that he would want Ox on his side. Maybe, maybe not.

Not sure if this has been posted/discussed. Interesting that the offshore races this go around are NOT weighted in terms of overall points. That is, the inshore races will scored the same. 1 for a win, 7 for the wooden spoon.

..didn't I hear that the inshores aren't counted in the RTW,,no?

Will be interesting to see how many of the old Camper crew get a ride (Salthouse, Rae etc). With so little time it would pay to go with what you know. Jules Salter is not signed so wonder if he is on the mix..................

The In-Port Racing counts as its own series, with a trophy awarded at the end. The Off-Shore Racing counts as its own series with the Overall trophy at the end. Given that two teams are tied at the end of the Off-Shore Series, the points from the In-Port Series will be used to break the tie. The In-Port Races are not as significant in the immediate, but given the one design concept, and the talent aboard each boat, there is a possibility that there could be a tie at the end, thus making the In-Ports points necessary and important.

The In-Port Racing counts as its own series, with a trophy awarded at the end. The Off-Shore Racing counts as its own series with the Overall trophy at the end. Given that two teams are tied at the end of the Off-Shore Series, the points from the In-Port Series will be used to break the tie. The In-Port Races are not as significant in the immediate, but given the one design concept, and the talent aboard each boat, there is a possibility that there could be a tie at the end, thus making the In-Ports points necessary and important.

Thanks, Krashwerks.

Any intel on a possible 'reveal/official launch' of the Danish boat? Awesome news it's in. Imagine getting a Volvo programme together in eight weeks. Cool customers to do that, for sure. And I hope Nicco gives the whole thing a huge shake. Certainly news of their entry is a massive shot in the arm for the event. Looking forward to this 'go round' now, now the AC has descended into farce (again).

Given the rumours have been flying for a good two months now about the Danish/6th boat team, I think we can be pretty sure they have had more than eight weeks to get it together. Not that four months is exactly a doddle, but at least it is believable. Given the huge logictics support the VOR are giving the teams it makes things almost unimaginably simpler. The idea that you would have to sort out the level of support seen in previous races in much less than a year would be enough to have most people running the other direction.

Very cool as a Swede to get some Danish competition for the ladies in Team SCA! Race suddenly got even more exciting. :D

Are the latecomers just going to step on, and go fast from the git' go? I guess it's one design and these guys are immensely experienced, systems sorted and a sense of 'here we go again'. So, why not?

Also, what's the vibe on the sail wardrobe? Will the Spaniards and the Danes have newer/better rags than a team like SCA? I know these sails are all 3Di and pretty much bomb proof. (Well, word was the sails from the last edition held up incredibly well after a lap of the planet). But surely some wear and tear MUST have changed the sails somewhat, compared to near new sails on the latecomers boats.

I was only vaguely interested in following this race, due to underwhelming entry numbers, but with Nicco having another crack, it jumped up a level, for sure. Pity ETNZ couldn't scrape the dosh together, or another 'brand' like Alinghi - whose name was mentioned a while ago. The debacle the AC is turning out to be, the presence of ETNZ would definitely have added major spice to this event.

Ahm...nope.

Am I a grifter too?

No, piling on me for supporting Knut and the one-design concept. Apologies if I am wrong. Not sure if you are a grifter, but you certainly ain't bright!

Well Ox is already with Alvi so there's no going back there. I'm not so sure this is going to be a predominately ETZN crewed time as Nico must have had an inkling of what was going on for some time and you would have thought that he would want Ox on his side. Maybe, maybe not.

This deal came together very recently; all of Nico's previous work was in line with the Russian sponsors, and when that all fell apart for obvious reasons, he thought his bid was over.

Given the rumours have been flying for a good two months now about the Danish/6th boat team, I think we can be pretty sure they have had more than eight weeks to get it together. Not that four months is exactly a doddle, but at least it is believable. Given the huge logictics support the VOR are giving the teams it makes things almost unimaginably simpler. The idea that you would have to sort out the level of support seen in previous races in much less than a year would be enough to have most people running the other direction.

The deal was signed on Friday, and given that Nico had two other 'signed' deals fall apart at the last minute, I think you can be pretty sure you are wrong.

Ahm...nope.

Am I a grifter too?

No, piling on me for supporting Knut and the one-design concept. Apologies if I am wrong. Not sure if you are a grifter, but you certainly ain't bright!

If you're wrong? Sigh.

I typically thump you when you're being a complete knucklehead. So it probably seems very often to you.

I may not be bright, but at least I'm consistent...

I have offered more criticism of the VOR under Knut than anyone writing anything, but then again I wouldn't expect any less from you.

The deal was signed on Friday, and given that Nico had two other 'signed' deals fall apart at the last minute, I think you can be pretty sure you are wrong.

In which case I am seriously impressed.

Mr. Nicholson may have signed on Friday, but his sponsor signed some time ago. The boat was secured, however a crew compatible with its initiative to increase dwindling market share, as well as the ability to continue the same type of performance and success as exhibited by Sail Rocket was difficult to come by.

Regardless, the race is going to be very competitive with some very powerful teams arriving in the assembly area next month. I am anxious to track the Sevenstar, as this will be a good indicator of things to come.

Any intel on a possible 'reveal/official launch' of the Danish boat? Awesome news it's in. Imagine getting a Volvo programme together in eight weeks. Cool customers to do that, for sure. And I hope Nicco gives the whole thing a huge shake. Certainly news of their entry is a massive shot in the arm for the event. Looking forward to this 'go round' now, now the AC has descended into farce (again).

God point, the damn AC farce.....lets hope that the AC Circus is up to speed before the VOR is over...

Gonzalo Araújo is joining TC for the Sevenstar. Rumors abound that he will be joining the team in some capacity. This race seems to be getting more and more interesting.

Just looked at the VOR website. Looks like they redesigned it. And it looks like they hired the same people as the AC. Or emulated the AC site. Consequentially, they have opted for style over substance, clarity, and accuracy. Here is the teams page and it totally confused me, and seems very unclear and/or inaccurate. Seems like a shame to me.

post-635-0-98575400-1407369730_thumb.jpg

Can anyone explain the meaning of that lone of circle pictures and the names? There seem to be 5names teams, though the names are not there, and then there are 5 pictures of people with names, and one logo with the word skipper under it. Is it saying that we don't know the skipper of SCA, and that we do know the skipper of one of the unnamed teams?

The new site is intended to garner a more youthful audience, and appear as a sleek event site that showcases stories via imagery. It is difficult to navigate because the menu is overpowered by the largesse of the video feed/image library. It will be interesting to see what some of the long time supporters think of the redesign. I have a feeling that the old adage "it looked better on paper and during trials' might be employed quite frequently.

Yeah, the new design is crud. Style over substance. And whoever did it doesn't understand consistency. Which is why the "Spanish" team is a question mark, even though they have a boat and a skipper, and SCA's skipper is a logo and not a question mark. Not paying attention in the design 101 class. They have at least let the kimono slip enough to admit that there will be a seventh team. Maybe SA's scoop on this forced their hand, and they decided to let the new site design out before it was ready (which it clearly isn't.)

Boat 5, 2 and 1 are racing around the island today start time is 10 am UK time.

...does someone have a way to put those boats onto a single AIS tracker page?

tracking vor boats via AIS signals :

alvimedica : http://www.marinetra...ships/367616310

sca : http://www.marinetra...ships/235101548

brunel : http://www.marinetra...ships/244780246

abudhabi : http://www.marinetra...ships/470437000

team campos : http://www.marinetra...ships/224530860

donfeng : http://www.marinetra...ships/319060300

It says on brunels marine tracker that their top speed was 35.8 knots....not to shabby

Just looked at the VOR website. Looks like they redesigned it. And it looks like they hired the same people as the AC. Or emulated the AC site. Consequentially, they have opted for style over substance, clarity, and accuracy. Here is the teams page and it totally confused me, and seems very unclear and/or inaccurate. Seems like a shame to me.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Seems pretty simple to me. I hated the old site. I couldn't find anything on the teams, lost links. etc. I like the new one.

apparently Alberto Bolzan from Alvimedica has won 4 Giro d'Italias... pretty amazing that he's a world class cyclist as well as sailor.

apparently Alberto Bolzan from Alvimedica has won 4 Giro d'Italias... pretty amazing that he's a world class cyclist as well as sailor.

Not the Giro Italia proffesional cycling tour. Maybe as youth, under 20 and as woman :)

Boat 5, 2 and 1 are racing around the island today start time is 10 am UK time.

...does someone have a way to put those boats onto a single AIS tracker page?

tracking vor boats via AIS signals :

alvimedica : http://www.marinetra...ships/367616310

sca : http://www.marinetra...ships/235101548

brunel : http://www.marinetra...ships/244780246

abudhabi : http://www.marinetra...ships/470437000

team campos : http://www.marinetra...ships/224530860

donfeng : http://www.marinetra...ships/319060300

Create an account on the Marine Traffic website (it's free) then add each of those boats to your favorites/fleet. Then when viewing the website turn off everything everything except "my fleet" and you're done

Not sure if I like the in-port and ocean legs being separately scored. Not sure how it will play out. Perhaps the boats that get behind on the ocean legs will start focusing on the in-port. Or a boat or two could decide to focus on the ocean racing and let the in-port races go. I am very much looking forward to seeing the coverage. I hope they tweet positions regularly or something like that. I can't really spend that much time, but I would like to keep up to date.

...I dunno roose ,,,,, think the tie-breaker aspect will keep teams honest with the inports,,while according them appropriate value.

.....and separate prizes will also share the glory perhaps.

Juan Vila has left the Azurra TP52 program to join a VOR Team, someone knows which one? Campos?

Rounbritainandireland.rorc.org

Start delayed until tomorrow. 5 of the volvo teams are racing with brunel keeping there power dry. Seems a mistake to me to let the others have a practice race and maybe learn something from each other. Should be interesting to see who does well, but I don't think we should read to much into the result.

Giro d'Italia a Vela

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I looked too. Seems SCA is skippered by a pink logo and all the rest will have actual people!

The boast that Clean laid out was 8 boats at a minimum. Knut was saying less than that would be a failure, his goal was ten.

It's good they got seven, over a month past their deadline, but seven is still good. One more than last time, so Knut gets to declare victory before he leaves the field.

The boast that Clean laid out was 8 boats at a minimum. Knut was saying less than that would be a failure, his goal was ten.

It's good they got seven, over a month past their deadline, but seven is still good. One more than last time, so Knut gets to declare victory before he leaves the field.

Where was that alc? I'm interested to see Knut's quote.

From the RORC Twitter feed

"

#rorcsrbi The VO65 and mod 70 Musandam Oman Sail Sevenstar Round Britain and Ireland Race are away! What a sight power reaching through the line. Wait to see the arial footage later! AZZAM got the best start but Team SCA have just blasted there way through to windward. Musandam Oman Sail are only on one hull doing 30 knots!!

"

AIS Vessel finder showed SCAs instantaneous speed as 25 Knots at the start time...

http://roundbritainandireland.rorc.org/2014-fleet-tracking.html

From the RORC Twitter feed

"

#rorcsrbi The VO65 and mod 70 Musandam Oman Sail Sevenstar Round Britain and Ireland Race are away! What a sight power reaching through the line. Wait to see the arial footage later! AZZAM got the best start but Team SCA have just blasted there way through to windward. Musandam Oman Sail are only on one hull doing 30 knots!!

"

AIS Vessel finder showed SCAs instantaneous speed as 25 Knots at the start time...

http://roundbritainandireland.rorc.org/2014-fleet-tracking.html

Link to the footage??

Doubt it is even on the ground yet, let alone online. RORC do not have anywhere near the budget for live streaming.

I see the women are already 65 miles behind...............whoever says they can compete on an even level with men needs to think again, history repeating again..........

I see the women are already 65 miles behind...............whoever says they can compete on an even level with men needs to think again, history repeating again..........

Looking pretty good here though. These VO65's look like rocket ships.

post-76289-0-46200300-1407825284_thumb.jpg

The Volvo's are all honking along - all 20+ knots. Pretty awesome stuff, and smoking the Volvo 70 (no idea what boat it is/was, or how slick the crew are on the 70)

Finally the cat is officially out of the bag.

Nice looking livery for the boat too. Not exactly leaving any doubt as to what Vestas are about. Something the other teams might learn from (OK, perhaps not SCA.)

The Volvo's are all honking along - all 20+ knots. Pretty awesome stuff, and smoking the Volvo 70 (no idea what boat it is/was, or how slick the crew are on the 70)

Monster Project is the ex-Kosatka VO70 - aka Team Russia.

http://www.volvo70charter.co.uk/the-volvo-open-70/

That explains it. Kosatka was 2 editions ago and a underfunded dog. Thought she would be cut up by now. Good to see her on the water. Maybe her current users can help her realize her potential.

WetHog

21ba2ed114c1bdbe58010492a083ebe3.png247c08986823a25993f427d25b397293.png

Sharp looking boat. Nicest looking boat so far. Not as beautiful as Tele from the last race, but close.

WetHog

21ba2ed114c1bdbe58010492a083ebe3.png247c08986823a25993f427d25b397293.png

Sharp looking boat. Nicest looking boat so far. Not as beautiful as Tele from the last race, but close.

WetHog

Thank god it's not yellow !!