• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
MidPack

J/88

There is a fiberglass version of the CH31, it is the CW Hood 32. Pretty similar lines, fiberglass, hull, wood trim,

nice sailing and you can get it new with an electric motor for a lot less than they're asking for the used CH 31.

I have no financial interest in the boat. Just sailed one at Newport Boat Show.

There is a fiberglass version of the CH31, it is the CW Hood 32. Pretty similar lines, fiberglass, hull, wood trim,

nice sailing and you can get it new with an electric motor for a lot less than they're asking for the used CH 31.

I have no financial interest in the boat. Just sailed one at Newport Boat Show.

Both gorgeous boats to be sure, but I'm not following the CW Hood 32 as a version of the CH31. One has zero accomodations (arguably not even any storage), the other could be a weekender if not more.

center-harbor-3103.jpghood.JPG

I am a tiller guy. I have only owned tiller-steered boats. I've steered with a wheel on friends' boats, and really don't like it. The J100 has a wheel, but some of the smaller J's have wheels. I understand that a wheel adds adds a few thousand to cost. Should J-Boats look at tillers on more of their boats?

Same here Bull.

J/100 is a tiller though. J/95 is a wheel but I suspect that works better with the twin rudders. J/97 is a tiller, J/32 is a wheel (as is the 28 but they are cruisers).

The J/105 should have it's rudder re-designed (like the Express 37's did) and become a tiller-only boat. It would be a big improvement and give that boat a new lease on life.

I meant to say the 100 has a tiller (a senior moment). I think you're right about the 92 and twin rudders - the only twin rudder boat I've ever seen that had a tiller was a Hobie.

Should JBoats make a 26-28 foot daysailer/overnighter with a comfortable cockpit, but not a sportboat (J80)? Sort of like the 100, but an 80 or 88? Is that how this thread started?

You mean "the 95 and twin rudders" but yes, J/Boats likes to idiot-proof important systems like steering. There are a lot of open-style boats with twin rudders and tillers, also the new Bene 30-footer, the Sunfast 32 I think - they're around.

No. that market is saturated. This thread was looking for a hopped-up replacement J in the 29-30 foot bracket.

You mean "the 95 and twin rudders" but yes, J/Boats likes to idiot-proof important systems like steering. There are a lot of open-style boats with twin rudders and tillers, also the new Bene 30-footer, the Sunfast 32 I think - they're around.

No. that market is saturated. This thread was looking for a hopped-up replacement J in the 29-30 foot bracket.

Beneteau has two new Daysailers out and can sit on a trailer.

So you need to take a demo ride on a J/70.

You might like it.

Well the J/70 is too small and who knows if it will get critical mass or not. You want larger, critical mass and room for a portable head. What's wrong with the J/80?

I'm thinking about doing a demo sail and I know I'd like the J/70 (loved our J/80), but the warden won't agree to a bucket (or a porta-potti) again and she's been a good sport re: sailing for over 20 years, so there's no way I can buy one...no marine head is a show stopper for her.

Who knows I may end up with a J/92-92s or nothing. I have to believe J/Boats will come out with a faster 29-30 footer, then it will come down to what price point...

J Boats has registered www.j88class.org.

You're probably right about 30 footers but this is a shame. A well-built 30 footer can go offshore and has a nice motion in a seaway. Loads are manageable, ownership costs (slip fees, haul-outs, sails etc.) are still reasonable, in many places 30 foot slips are available when they're not for larger boats.

But these days a new 30-footer is into six figures. So I agree, buy used - there's a glut of good boats out there.

Pogo Structures is developing a 30-foot "cruiser" with racing options (e..g, fixed 1.93 m keel, carbon mast). http://www.pogostructures.com/en/cruising-sailboats/pogo-30-in-development/. This may be available through Open Sailing.

That's very interesting ;-) thanks.

I'm also told that J Boats has already sold 5 J/88s, and that the first one could be sailing as soon as April. No idea as to region. In addition, I'm told that the J/88 WILL feature a sprit.

I'm also told that J Boats has already sold 5 J/88s, and that the first one could be sailing as soon as April. No idea as to region. In addition, I'm told that the J/88 WILL feature a sprit.

That's new. The past few models had drawings/renderings and molds shown on the J/Boats site a few months before their hull #1 was even done, so that would be a new MO for J/Boats. Expected a sprit, wonder if has a diesel and marine head?

That's new. The past few models had drawings/renderings and molds shown on the J/Boats site a few months before their hull #1 was even done, so that would be a new MO for J/Boats. Expected a sprit, wonder if has a diesel and marine head?

I agree that the timing sees odd, and not in line with past practice. I don't know whether renderings/specs/details are available (e.g., to those who are ready to put cash up front) or whether my broker simply doesn't have anything to share with me right now.

The "warden" in my life (at least when it comes to an eventual boat purchase) will also be curious to know whether this boat will feature a head. I assume it will. My wife has also demanded that said head be enclosed! With the price point I'm looking at, she'll have to be satisfied with head that is enclosed in the fore cabin but not enclosed from the bunk in the fore cabin, which is the case with the J/92 and J/105. Frickin' women.

I figured at some point the good folks at J would take a hard look at the really cool Andrews 28 and reckon they could do better. Lets hope they try !

( enclosed head with standing headroom, trailerable, retracting keel, inboard diesel, assym rig)

Cool, another J Speedster... Afterburners or Bunsen burners??

And what is downwind planing performance in "moderate to fresh breeze"? is that like a small craft advisory?

Just rec'd info about the J88 in my email. Looks like it does have a sprit.knIGWaK.png

How about that, wonder if I'll get a naming royalty (jk)?

I got the same drawing/blurb plus the specs and order form. $124K, though very completely fitted out with few options, they certainly didn't de-content the construction/design. Some highlights...

Construction

J/88 hull & deck infusion molded with biaxial and unidirectional E-glass fabrics and balsa core in the hull for rugged durability and Corecell foam core in the deck for light weight. High density core material and additional glass reinforcements are placed in way of highly loaded hardware and components. All laminates are engineered and built to required ISO structural standards.

Open transom for easy access with lightweight ORC transom safety ladder.

6.5’ draft low VCG keel with lead ballast featuring molded GRP finish.

Engine, Steering & Systems

12hp, two cylinder diesel engine with Saildrive and geared folding propeller.

12 gal fuel tank.

Electrical

One AGM Group 27 battery (option for 2nd battery).

Navigation & steaming lights.

Deck Hardware

Two 2-speed self-tailing primary winches in cockpit.

Two 2-speed self-tailing secondary winches on cabin top.

5:1 Mainsheet system leading to ratchet block and cam mounted on centerline swivel base.

Integral 20:1 mainsheet fine-tune adjuster also mounted to swivel base cam.

Adjustable mainsheet traveler with 4:1 control line and cam cleats P & S.

Double ended backstay adjuster purchase system leading forward to P & S cam cleats.

Internal bowsprit launching system to exit aft face of the cabin house to cam cleat.

Belowdeck headsail furling system with control line exiting aft face of cabin house to cam cleat.

Spars & Rigging

Carbon fiber mast with double swept spreaders, long masthead crane and mainsail luff track. Deck step design and SS tabernacle system. Mast finished in satin black with contrasting white bands.

Carbon bow sprit with tack ferrule fitting, painted black finish. Bow sprit seal system mounted between sprit bearings.

Rod headstay, 1 x 19 compacted strand wire side rigging with adjustable open-body turnbuckles, and Dyneema backstay.

Interior

Molded main salon liner with full length settee berths, molded backrests, storage access below, and molded areas for sink (forward to port) and hinged utility counter (forward to starboard).

Molded V-berth and hull support liner. (V-berth cushions & platform top optional)

Raritan PH-II marine head with holding tank and "Y" valve.

Options

Opening ports on aft end of cabin facing the cockpit.

Cockpit Dodger with side curtains.

Black Powder-coated stanchions & rails.

Wide Opening lifeline gates (P&S).

V-berth Package with platform, two cushions and one swiveling reading light.

Comfort Group Package – boom cover with J/88 logo, two cockpit cushions, and 4 padded lifeline covers.

110V Shore Power: 30amp shore power cord, deck receptacle, belowdecks breaker, Xantrex battery charger, AC panel, one 110v outlet, equipment leakage circuit interrupter (ELCI), galvanic isolator.

Additional 90 amp battery.

sounds like a C&C 101 competitor

With a displacement of 8100 lbs, I'll be surprised if many people even buy the C&C 101. I expect the J/88 to have much more performance oriented specs, though not in Melges territory by any means.

Now, the question becomes, as pointed out by my esteemed sailing compatriot: Is there a sufficient performance bump over the J/92, J/92s, or J/29 to justify the much higher new-boat cost--about $150k all-in versus less than half that for previous versions of J Boats' 29-footers?

I don't know if the presence of a sit-in cockpit (which my wife and kids will enjoy) justifies the higher price. But she looks so pretty!

J/92s

Dimensions ft/lb m/kg

LOA 30.00 9.14

LWL 26.70 8.14

Beam 10.00 3.05

Standard Draft 6.24 1.90

Standard Ballast 2,317 1,051

Displacement 5,610 2,545

Engine 13 hp 13 hp

100% SA 505 46.91

I 40.68 12.40

ISP 44.08 13.44

J 11.48 3.50

P 38.88 11.85

E 13.95 4.25

SA/Dspl 26 26

Dspl/L 131 131

J/88

Dimensions ft/lb m/kg

LOA 29.19 8.90

LWL 26.84 8.18

Beam 9.50 2.90

Standard Draft 6.50 835

Displacement 4,850 2,200

Diesel Aux. Engine 12 hp 12 hp

100% SA 439 40.80

SA/Dspl 24 24

Dspl/L 112 112

Don't know what the downwind SA/D will be, but I assume the J/88 will plane earlier than the J/92s...

http://www.jboats.com/j88-tech-specs

Now, the question becomes, as pointed out by my esteemed sailing compatriot: Is there a sufficient performance bump over the J/92, J/92s, or J/29 to justify the much higher new-boat cost--about $150k all-in versus less than half that for previous versions of J Boats' 29-footers?

I don't know if the presence of a sit-in cockpit (which my wife and kids will enjoy) justifies the higher price. But she looks so pretty!

That's exactly where I am. I like the 88's cockpit seats - my 92 has a dinghy-style cockpit and my wife hates it. But otherwise it begs the question "Is it enough of a step up?" It's a great-looking boat though. I see a bit of Figaro II in it.

I better move my 92 back down Bay so I'm ready to spar with the demo boat when it arrives.

That's exactly where I am. I like the 88's cockpit seats - my 92 has a dinghy-style cockpit and my wife hates it. But otherwise it begs the question "Is it enough of a step up?" It's a great-looking boat though. I see a bit of Figaro II in it.

I better move my 92 back down Bay so I'm ready to spar with the demo boat when it arrives.

We fixed the crane.

I was surprised at that too, but the only place I get water in the boat is down the mast so it makes some sense.

The carbon masts are stiffer so maybe easier to tune even when deck-stepped?

I don't get the deck stepped mast. If its not a trailer sailer whats the point?

They did that to give a little extra room in the interior. A small compression post takes up a lot less space. Also easier to step the mast with a gin pole.

I think that J88 metric draft is a little funny.

Overall looks to me like it would be very appealing to an older couple for cruising. I would recommend it to my parents. But they are not looking for ownership. Perhaps someone wants to buy one and put it in Charter on the coast of Maine?

J/92s

Dimensions ft/lb m/kg

LOA 30.00 9.14

LWL 26.70 8.14

Beam 10.00 3.05

Standard Draft 6.24 1.90

Standard Ballast 2,317 1,051

Displacement 5,610 2,545

Engine 13 hp 13 hp

100% SA 505 46.91

I 40.68 12.40

ISP 44.08 13.44

J 11.48 3.50

P 38.88 11.85

E 13.95 4.25

SA/Dspl 26 26

Dspl/L 131 131

J/88

Dimensions ft/lb m/kg

LOA 29.19 8.90

LWL 26.84 8.18

Beam 9.50 2.90

Standard Draft 6.50 835

Displacement 4,850 2,200

Diesel Aux. Engine 12 hp 12 hp

100% SA 439 40.80

SA/Dspl 24 24

Dspl/L 112 112

Don't know what the downwind SA/D will be, but I assume the J/88 will plane earlier than the J/92s...

http://www.jboats.com/j88-tech-specs

So I'm boatless and getting the itch to own again. If I won the lottery, I'd buy a J/111. The J/70 looks like a blast, but that's just too small and the warden won't deal with a bucket anymore (fair enough). So I need them to morph the two boats into a J/88. Wonder when they will update their offering in the 30-foot range?

The J/92 is pretty long in the tooth, and the 92s was a modest but worthwhile refresh. Want something at least 20 secs/mile faster...J/90 with a head would be fine.

WTF...are you clairvoyent? You and me need to head to Vegas for a weekend. Nice call!

http://www.thedailysail.com/inshore/13/64027/0/jboats-to-launch-the-j88

There is a lot to like about this boat (J88), but I'm not keen on the open transom and cockpit seats that don't run to the aft end of the cockpit. Where does the helmsman sit? They should configure it like the J22: small after deck, rudder profile that allows tiller to extend across after deck into the cockpit.

Anybody looked at the new S&S 30?

There is a lot to like about this boat (J88), but I'm not keen on the open transom and cockpit seats that don't run to the aft end of the cockpit. Where does the helmsman sit? They should configure it like the J22: small after deck, rudder profile that allows tiller to extend across after deck into the cockpit.

Anybody looked at the new S&S 30?

The S&S 30 looks awesome. Saw it at the boat show on Friday and it's a really nice looking boat. Price seems pretty good when compared to other boats in it's class. I think one will be racing in Newport this season so it'll be interetsting to see how it goes.

Full disclosure, I'm good friends with someone who's associated with Blue Nose. Regardless, if I were in the market for a daysailor/weekender/handicap racer this would be very high on the list. It looks really easy to sail and it's a beautiful boat. Great for taking non-sailors and sailors alike out for a day. The furling spin is a great touch and makes everything that much easier...

Bob... yep, they won't try an J/90 or J/125 again... let the folks down under do that right?

Varan... yes, same keel as the J/70, albeit it doesn't move... look for a shoal draft version next for thinner water?

And yes, I do like the J/88 as I did the 70... just fearful of the price... need to see a C&C 101 in the flesh first. Those used 92s and 105s just keep getting more interesting...

Bull, after some ocean racing I've come to love an open transom. The cockpit is always empty and the only time I took a wave on the stern was when stopped fixing an autopilot. It gives you better options for reboarding a MOB as well. That is now a must-have for me. What I don't like is an open transom combined with a large wheel that "pins" you back there (like the J/95). Poor weight distribution, can't reach the winches, etc.

I sit outboard with a tiller extension, dinghy-style. The seats are for the deck candy!

I really like the J/97 (fits my personal situation), but at +/- $160k + sails and electronics, it was quite a bit more than the C&C101, which was offered for

+/-$160k sail-a-way at the fall boat shows. On top of that, the C&C101 had some really great features, that made it very attractive. It will be very interesting to seel where the pricing comes in for the J/88. J/Boats has done a great job of marketing the J/70 and put it at a great price point, if the same pricing stratagy is applied to the J/88 it may gain traction. Just my $0.02 worth, not that I am running out to buy a "NEW" boat in the weeks to come.

I really like the J/97 (fits my personal situation), but at +/- $160k + sails and electronics, it was quite a bit more than the C&C101, which was offered for

+/-$160k sail-a-way at the fall boat shows. On top of that, the C&C101 had some really great features, that made it very attractive. It will be very interesting to seel where the pricing comes in for the J/88. J/Boats has done a great job of marketing the J/70 and put it at a great price point, if the same pricing stratagy is applied to the J/88 it may gain traction. Just my $0.02 worth, not that I am running out to buy a "NEW" boat in the weeks to come.

J/88 base price $124K well equipped IMO, just add sails $10K, electronics $4K and incidentals...

J88 compares well price-wise to the S&S 30 ($138K vs. $159K). Their displacement is pretty close (4,459 vs. 5,640) but the draft of the J88 is pretty deep (6'6" vs. 5'6") and it ha more beam (9'6" vs 8'3"). Both have tillers, and deck stepped masts. The S&S 30 has a longer waterline (27'6" vs. 26'10") and a comfy looking cockpit and cabin.

If I could buy one of them, I think I would go after the S&S 30.

sounds like a C&C 101 competitor

With a displacement of 8100 lbs, I'll be surprised if many people even buy the C&C 101. I expect the J/88 to have much more performance oriented specs, though not in Melges territory by any means.

So one has to ask the proverbial SA question-what it (projected) rate?

J88 compares well price-wise to the S&S 30 ($138K vs. $159K). Their displacement is pretty close (4,459 vs. 5,640) but the draft of the J88 is pretty deep (6'6" vs. 5'6") and it ha more beam (9'6" vs 8'3"). Both have tillers, and deck stepped masts. The S&S 30 has a longer waterline (27'6" vs. 26'10") and a comfy looking cockpit and cabin.

If I could buy one of them, I think I would go after the S&S 30.

I think I just read over in the Seascape thread that their 27fter is about US$65K - which seems like an amazingly low price for such a nice boat.

Is the J/88 really going to be twice as much?

ouch!

Heh heh, but why? What does a partial cockpit bench do for you other than bang your knees while reachng for the winch?

sometimes the wife and kids don't like eating fried chicken on the rail. Slackers!

Heh heh, but why? What does a partial cockpit bench do for you other than bang your knees while reachng for the winch?

Backrests are nice when at anchor. Coamings keep seats dry. Keeps SWMBO happy. "NEW J/88- Fast Family Daysailer & Racer"

No seats aft = longer traveller on cockpit sole = no traveller bridge problems (access & cheaper)

j88deck-1531-665-400-100.png

You forget about re-sale value. I will gladly sell a J boat over a C&C after a few years of use. The J-boats cost more out of the box, but you can sell them for more when you're done. I'm not a big J-boat, cookie cutter/Xerox machine design fan, but the boats sell over and over again for top dollar. The same can not be said for C&C.

I would like to have seen an outboard instead of that aux diesel personally. And weighing in close to 5000#, I don't see how this can be dry sailed reasonably.

Other than that, I want one.

I've heard they wanted to hold the boat under $100K, but that would have forced an outboard (not included), no head (space for a PP?) and an alum mast (I'm guessing all this). I'm told they got so much feedback from dealers/customers that they had to have a (marine) head and IB diesel, and I can believe it...

I am a J/Boat fan, but boat builders (esp sail since it's a much smaller market) are between a rock and a hard one in terms of controlling costs. When I look at what a J/100 listed for 7 years ago (6500 lbs w head, IB & CF mast) and a J/88 now at 4850 lbs, the base price seems very high. It appears they (J/Boats & others) want to keep building them in the USA and you have to applaud that, but the costs are just much too high vs median incomes. I'd love to own a J/88, it's perfect for our needs (see post #1), but between the purchase price and the ongoing expenses (mooring, storage, haulout/launch, insurance/taxes, maintenance/repairs/replacements and incidentals) we just can't justify it. It's almost like we've come from an era long ago where yachting was just for the rich, to yachting for "everyman" with the era of fiberglass and cheap oil, and now (when used boats just get too old/undesirable) we're headed back to sailing as a sport for the (near) rich - joining equestrian, polo and others...

It's really too bad it doesn't have a lifting keel. Would have made hoisting and trailering better not to mention the shallow water issues some have to deal with.

That would have made it slightly more competitive with the J70, but could you launch something of that size off of a trailer?

If not, then does a lifting keel do that much for you? You are correct in that It would make trailering less expensive and facilitate easier access while on the trailer, but at he expense of added keel support structure and would require a keel crane as well.

I'm wondering if there is a limit on how massive a lifting keel can be before it affects the structural integrity of the boat, or is that. Ot a player given today's materials and engineering? What's the largest boat you know of with a lifting keel?

It's really too bad it doesn't have a lifting keel. Would have made hoisting and trailering better not to mention the shallow water issues some have to deal with.

That would have made it slightly more competitive with the J70, but could you launch something of that size off of a trailer?

If not, then does a lifting keel do that much for you? You are correct in that It would make trailering less expensive and facilitate easier access while on the trailer, but at he expense of added keel support structure and would require a keel crane as well.

I'm wondering if there is a limit on how massive a lifting keel can be before it affects the structural integrity of the boat, or is that. Ot a player given today's materials and engineering? What's the largest boat you know of with a lifting keel?

SR33 comes to mind right off the bat... http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2901

Isn't that the J/100?

I think you hit the nail on the head there. The lifting keel will eat up what interior accommodations you can get on a boat of this size. Anybody ever been aboard a Hinckley 42DS? The lifting keel took over the cabin and made it worthless.

I expected a lifting keel (especially if you'd told me it would have a deck-stepped carbon rig) and I expected an outboard, with the boat's weight far enough under 4,000# to be able to lift it with a two ton hoist (allowing for gear, etc.) I also expected it to be marketed as a OD racer (see earlier in the thread).

That's what I expected but it's not what I wanted. Apparently I'm not alone?

The Pogo 30 has me real excited. Hard chines, dual rudders, and a fat ass. Mmmm...daddy like. Oddly though, it has 2 sets of winch drums on each side of the cabin top. No jib sheet winch on the aft deck. All I really want is a Class 40 squeezed down into a 30-foot boat (or a Mini 6.5 expanded to a 30 feet) with some moderate interior accommodations to make the wife happy. The Pogo 30 is the closest I've seen. Oh wait...that Beneateau First 30! Ha!

Anybody know if the J/88 has standing head room? It appears to have the same cabin house and interior design as the J/92. So, no.

Also, while J Boats is marketing this boat as a family daysailor, it looks like it'd work just as well for short-handed distance and ocean racing. Anybody disagree? Anybody aware of any significant issues with pursuing ocean racing with a boat like this?

I don't get the S&S 30 comparison. I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to sit up on the rail on top of that skinny back rest. The S&S looks classic, but old. The 88 looks interesting. Price point is a little high. Originally at the Annapolis Boat Show the dealer was saying under $100K, but like MidPack I heard they just couldn't do it for that without dropping the head and the inboard. That was a non-starter as a family cruiser. Like others, I have been eyeballing the J92S for a while now. I was told the 88 would outerform that boat by a long shot. Time will tell.

. . .while J Boats is marketing this boat as a family daysailor, it looks like it'd work just as well for short-handed distance and ocean racing. Anybody disagree? Anybody aware of any significant issues with pursuing ocean racing with a boat like this?

I asked the local dealer that question (he knows I've been racing my 92 solo offshore). He said he couldn't see why not. You have the inboard to charge batteries, rule-compliant lifelines, enough displacement to go upwind in ocean conditions and be reasonably comfortable, not much furniture to have to remove below, and etc. I'd want to see how well it's all screwed together but it is a J/Boat.

I'd probably turn the forward hatch around.

Drawing above . . . starboard jib and spin sheets . . . just sayin'

Ditch "speedster" = overused.

This has a lifting keel..... :P

Post-refit-render-of-sailing-yacht-m5-ex-Mirabella-V-Aft-shot-665x334.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how this looks and feels when the boat hits the water. Took about a year or so for the J/70 from release of the CAD drawing to launch?

There were other factors at play with that as they investigated, and ruled out, production in China.

Sounding like a late spring/early summer launch for the 88.

it looks like it'd work just as well for short-handed distance and ocean racing.

Definitely going to be looked at by people wanting to do DH distance racing without the full-on aspect of say a Mini or Class 40 (not that there's anything wrong with them). Sort of a walk-before-you-run DH boat.

The Pogo 30 has me real excited. Hard chines, dual rudders, and a fat ass. Mmmm...daddy like. Oddly though, it has 2 sets of winch drums on each side of the cabin top. No jib sheet winch on the aft deck. All I really want is a Class 40 squeezed down into a 30-foot boat (or a Mini 6.5 expanded to a 30 feet) with some moderate interior accommodations to make the wife happy. The Pogo 30 is the closest I've seen. Oh wait...that Beneateau First 30! Ha!

Anybody know if the J/88 has standing head room? It appears to have the same cabin house and interior design as the J/92. So, no.

Also, while J Boats is marketing this boat as a family daysailor, it looks like it'd work just as well for short-handed distance and ocean racing. Anybody disagree? Anybody aware of any significant issues with pursuing ocean racing with a boat like this?

Seascape 27

.... I was told the 88 would outerform that boat by a long shot. Time will tell.

Really? Hmmmmmm.

I'd have to see that first.

I think the words were something along the lines of - "Think of an updated Farr/Mumm 30 with a usable head and some creature comforts below and you got the picture." It makes sense it would perform better than the 92S, otherwise, why would they still offer that boat along with this one?

Launched Santa Cruz 27's and Olson 30's down the boat ramps all the time. They're a PIA to tow though....LOTS of windage.

Antrim 27 is Ocean Capable boat with a lifting keel.

Santa Cruz 37 has lift keel too!

With a Disp/L ratio of 112 she'll be the fastest J of her size ever offered...by comparison the J/92(which is a quick to plane ride) is 132 and the J/111 is 119.

Yeah, I don't teenk so and I would know (re the 92 being quick to plane).

Could they really not fit 2 more berths aft under the raised cockpit seats? For me, that's the big difference between the C&C 101 and the J/88. I like the J's weight and lower price, but I need places for 6 to sleep.

If it's anything like my boat, I wouldn't want anything aft of the companionway bulkhead. The engine and fuel tank are bad enough - someday I may figure a way to move the fuel tank. The J's with flat runs aft drag their fannies if you're not diligent about fore-and-aft balance . . . except when planing of course!

I don't get the S&S 30 comparison. I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to sit up on the rail on top of that skinny back rest. The S&S looks classic, but old. The 88 looks interesting. Price point is a little high. Originally at the Annapolis Boat Show the dealer was saying under $100K, but like MidPack I heard they just couldn't do it for that without dropping the head and the inboard. That was a non-starter as a family cruiser. Like others, I have been eyeballing the J92S for a while now. I was told the 88 would outerform that boat by a long shot. Time will tell.

If you use the copy machine method, it will be proportionally faster than a j29 relative to the j111 vs j35.

.... I was told the 88 would outerform that boat by a long shot. Time will tell.

Really? Hmmmmmm.

My source was estimating PHRF of 78-80 for the J/88, but that was preliminary!

I'm waiting for J-boats to register J121.org before I get too excited.

DG

how about the J3.141592 could go head to head with the Opti ;)

Excellent discussion. Obviously different folks are looking for different things, but all of us like a boat that has solid performance, that will be competitive on the race course, and that the average slob can afford to buy and keep. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that is worse than sailing a pig that can't go to weather.

I expected a lifting keel (especially if you'd told me it would have a deck-stepped carbon rig) and I expected an outboard, with the boat's weight far enough under 4,000# to be able to lift it with a two ton hoist (allowing for gear, etc.) I also expected it to be marketed as a OD racer (see earlier in the thread).

That's what I expected but it's not what I wanted. Apparently I'm not alone?

If it's a replacement for the J29, you can expect that you will have an OB option, a lifting keel option, a masthead and fractional option, you'll be able to mix and match but the model will stay the same.

It will still be a one design boat though...

I'm waiting for J-boats to register J121.org before I get too excited.

DG

how about the J3.141592 could go head to head with the Opti ;)

Don't give 'em any ideas.

Just a matter of time until someone puts a sprit on one of those things and the kids end up raging around yelling "yeehaw" like those Viper sailors are wont to do.

/88 a Fast Family Daysailer & Racerj88render-1532-665-400-100_zps3e58c128.jpg

j88int-1533-665-400-100_zps93caba77.jpg

j88deck-1531-665-400-100_zps3b798275.png

j88profile-1530-665-400-100_zpsa9a2dfdd.png

From the J design/build team that launched the J/70 and J/111, comes the NEW J/88, a 29’ mid-size family speedster with stability, style and sailing comfort. J/88 hits the sweet-spot in J Boat’s performance sprit range – large enough to provide the creature comforts of a sit-in cockpit, inboard diesel, overnighting interior and head; and small enough to be single-point lifted, owner trailered and stored.

... Belowdecks, the J/88 sports a weekending layout with two full length settees, Igloo cooler, galley sink, private head forward of bulkhead and optional V-berth.

J/88 hull #1 is projected to launch in June 2013!

Dimensions ft/lb m/kg

LOA 29.19 8.90

LWL 26.84 8.18

Beam 9.50 2.90

Standard Draft 6.50 1.98

Displacement 4,850 2,200

DieselAux.Engine 12 hp 12 hp

100% SA 439 40.80

SA/Dspl 24 24

Dspl/L 112 112

Don't know - the biggest lifting keeler I have sailed on is 100 feet with an 18 tons bulb keel (the draft went from 24 to 14 feet when lifted - and it also canted) but there are others around that are bigger than that. Off course (DUH Moment buddy) it has to be engineered into the boat and if done right is not a problem.