MidPack

J/88

J/Boats (actually Harken I suspect) provided a new redesigned furler unit** at no (parts) charge for the boat we sail on, but I had not heard about the new gudgeons until now. I assume upgrades/costs are on a case by case basis.

** The issue was basically the Smalley ring on the original furler was too small and the groove it set in was too shallow. The entire weight of the foils, torque tube and sail bore down on that Smalley ring. When it failed was the Smalley ring popped out of the groove and the torque tube dropped that ¼ or so. This was just enough to have some of the bearings possibly fall out below as well as have the torque tube wear on the deck plate.

On some 88s the units failed right away and on others it never did. I made the call to replace them all after I heard of 2-3 failures from the field. Not all of the parts needed to be re-designed. We put a larger Smalley ring in and increased the depth of the groove and shaved down the top of the Ball Spool Guard to accommodate the larger ring. So far after a summer of people racing with the new furlers I havent heard of any issues.

Any of you owners of American built boats have rudder issues?

Issues? There are some new gudgeons that allow larger diameter bolts and do not need shims if that is what you mean. If you mean what is attached to the other end of the tiller, all boats have that issue.
The boat I race had the rudder split at the top, a few others have had similar issues. One boat also had the hull deck joint split at the rudder where the transom was being levered upwards

Issues? There are some new gudgeons that allow larger diameter bolts and do not need shims if that is what you mean. If you mean what is attached to the other end of the tiller, all boats have that issue.
The boat I race had the rudder split at the top, a few others have had similar issues. One boat also had the hull deck joint split at the rudder where the transom was being levered upwards

Hull #24 from CCFC has had no structural problems with the rudder, the bolts or brackets on the transom, or the deck joint. We do remove the rudder for trailering as a precaution.

Which others? That's unfair to speculate. I can ask about the 9 J/88's in my area later this week, from #12 thru #82, though I've heard no reported issues.

Which others? That's unfair to speculate. I can ask about the 9 J/88's in my area later this week, from #12 thru #82, though I've heard no reported issues.

Speculating was not only condoned but encouraged when it involved FT10 haters; why should it be different with J/88 ?

Speculating was not only condoned but encouraged when it involved FT10 haters; why should it be different with J/88 ?

Don't confuse me with a hater. I've raced Js for many years of all shapes and sizes, currently with the interesting phase the 88s are going through here it has come to attention how close the 88s are being built in 2 separate places. We can not report any issues regarding hollow spots in the front of the euro boats but I was curious if the US boats had rudder problems

Don't confuse me with a hater. I've raced Js for many years of all shapes and sizes, currently with the interesting phase the 88s are going through here it has come to attention how close the 88s are being built in 2 separate places. We can not report any issues regarding hollow spots in the front of the euro boats but I was curious if the US boats had rudder problems

I did not mean that you were a J/88 hater.

I just commented on how boat owners have thin skin when their boat is the object of scrutiny; not so much for other designs.

I just commented on how boat owners have thin skin when their boat is the object of scrutiny; not so much for other designs.

An issue with one boat is an outlier. Claiming "a few others" without any further evidence is unfair to J/Boats, CFCC and other owners. Still no reply on "the others."

Thin skin has nothing to do with it. The fact that it may have happened with another boat, doesn't mean 'proof by exception' should go unchallenged.

An issue with one boat is an outlier. Claiming "a few others" without any further evidence is unfair to J/Boats, CFCC and other owners. Still no reply on "the others."

Thin skin has nothing to do with it. The fact that it may have happened with another boat, doesn't mean 'proof by exception' should go unchallenged.

All the proof to the contrary and challenges to the unfounded bashing by the hoards of Flying Tiger haters didn't stop them from continuing with even more vigor.

So calm down and enjoy your J/88; thou does protest too much, methinks.

Do J boats still provide such upgrades at no cost?

The JBoats/CFCC J/88 Specifications Sheet includes "10 year transferable warranty against osmotic hull blistering, 5 year structural warranty."

So far, JBoats/CFCC has been been incredibly responsive and proactive.

I did not mean that you were a J/88 hater. I just commented on how boat owners have thin skin when their boat is the object of scrutiny; not so much for other designs.

All the proof to the contrary and challenges to the unfounded bashing by the hoards of Flying Tiger haters didn't stop them from continuing with even more vigor. So calm down and enjoy your J/88; thou does protest too much, methinks.

Calm here thanks. Simply asking if there are more examples of rudder issues. Why are you so determined to stir the pot "Concerned?"

I did not mean that you were a J/88 hater. I just commented on how boat owners have thin skin when their boat is the object of scrutiny; not so much for other designs.

All the proof to the contrary and challenges to the unfounded bashing by the hoards of Flying Tiger haters didn't stop them from continuing with even more vigor. So calm down and enjoy your J/88; thou does protest too much, methinks.

Calm here thanks. Simply asking if there are more examples of rudder issues. Why are you so determined to stir the pot "Concerned?"

Just commenting as an objective observer since I do not have a dog in this fight.

As I recall, you had plenty to say on the Flying Tiger Forum.

One week to go and #85 will be ready to ship.... 2/29

Sales have been slow since the fall for these boats. Trump effect?

Linky goes no where but to blank search page....

Sorry about that, I'll try to fix it.

That link was search of MidPack's posts relating to FT10, and resulted in 22 posts;

8 in 2005, 11 in 2006, 2 in 2007, and 2 in 2013.

Outright FALSE re: FT10, but moving on...

Either you conveniently forgot all these FT10 posts bearing your handle, or you stole real MIdPack's identity.

Apparently the link that lists 23 FT10 related posts does not work.

To get results go to SEARCH FORUMS

Fill in the following:

FIND WORDS: FT10

SEARCH IN SELECTION FORUMS

WATCH : ALL WORDS / SEARCH TITLE & CONTENT

FIND AUTHOR: MIDPACK

SEARCH: ARCHIVES

FIND IN FORUM: SAILING

DISPLAY RESULTS: AS POSTS

RESULT SORTING: LAST UPDATE TIME / ASCENDING

Do J boats still provide such upgrades at no cost?

The JBoats/CFCC J/88 Specifications Sheet includes "10 year transferable warranty against osmotic hull blistering, 5 year structural warranty."

So far, JBoats/CFCC has been been incredibly responsive and proactive.

Just like in the old days. Probably why they have so many repeat customers. Having owned a few JBoats, and knowing what I hate about them, would never stop me from buying another. They do stand behind their product.

Either you conveniently forgot all these FT10 posts bearing your handle, or you stole real MIdPack's identity.

Fill in the following:

OK, went back and read all the posts that came up. Didn't see any FT10 bashing by MidPack at all. He seemed genuinely interested in the boat...but seemed to take a wait and see attitude...as with many of the other boats he was interested in (A30 and C30 to name two)...Not sure you can lump him in as a "basher"

Fill in the following:

OK, went back and read all the posts that came up. Didn't see any FT10 bashing by MidPack at all. He seemed genuinely interested in the boat...but seemed to take a wait and see attitude...as with many of the other boats he was interested in (A30 and C30 to name two)...Not sure you can lump him in as a "basher"

Now go back and read my posts on this thread. I never accused MidPack of being a "basher"; he jumped into the conversation between me and JL92S who I also did not claim to be a "basher". In fact, I did not identify any of the FT10 "bashers" by name.

Even though I explained that I had no dog in his fight with JL93S, MidPack implied that I was "stirring the pot" due to an ulterior motive.

All I claimed is that MidPack had posted his opinions in regards to FT10 when the boats were being marketed. When he denied it, I did a due diligence search and posted the results for anyone interested to scrutinize.

Again for the benefit of those those with comprehension deficits, I do not have a dog in the MidPack vs JL92s fight.

I think that J/88 is a nice boat.

However, it is my opinion that the thin skinned posters on this forum should consider the need to HTFU.

One week to go and #85 will be ready to ship.... 2/29

Sales have been slow since the fall for these boats. Trump effect?

53 days until Charleston Race Week
I'm jealous (CRW entries below). We haven't raced OD with J/88's yet, but there are 9 near us now and we just formed a fleet. Can't wait to line up with other J/88's this Summer, so far we're planning on the NOODs and the Queens Cup.

post-301-0-12183000-1456275719_thumb.jpeg

J88Class.org website is up

WOW!!! You've been holding out on us, way to hit the ground running. I didn't know four fleets have formed. That's easily the best source of J/88 docs, videos and pictures online by far. Well done BSP - thank you.

New J88 website looks great. Thank you for the hard work on this and for including the UK fleet. Our season is getting started in a few weeks and we will get some race reports etc for the site.

#85 is on her to Solomons. Left the factory today. yeaaa

Congrats, she's a beauty, but I might be biased...

Yea CRW would be fun. Unfortunately I am in FL and will not see this boat until the first week in May

My last boat came with a rubber boot that around the saildrive over the hull opening. We removed the boot and filled and faired that area. The 88 saildrive is way off center in the opening. Do owners typically fill and fair this area?

Do owners fill and fair the opening in the bottom for the saildrive? See attached.

post-60745-0-36759000-1457698759_thumb.jpeg

Do owners fill and fair the opening in the bottom for the saildrive? See attached.

The saildrive on Hull #24 was faired in from the factory, might have paid extra for that. Sorry I don't have a better picture. So far we haven't had any problems, but we only have about 250 hours on the engine.

I recently noticed one of the newer hulls the saildrive was not faired. My guess is, that the opening is extra large for alignment purposes, and then it can be faired in. It might be crack eventually from vibration.IMG_0799.JPG

did you get the racing version or the cruising version :)

Ours was not faired from the factory, but thankfully it was reasonably centered in the opening. I was told the saildrive must be able to move a little, and it stands to reason IMHO as the engine will move and vibrate a little, the mounts allow it. So ours is filled with a bead of silicone to close the gap while allowing some movement. I would think hard fairing might crack - but I don't know for sure? I'd ask Yanmar...

Ours was not faired from the factory, but thankfully it was reasonably centered in the opening. I was told the saildrive must be able to move a little, and it stands to reason IMHO as the engine will move and vibrate a little, the mounts allow it. So ours is filled with a bead of silicone to close the gap while allowing some movement. I would think hard fairing might crack - but I don't know for sure? I'd ask Yanmar...

What MP said. Bead of silicone. The small gap really won't hurt performance either, IMHO.

What MP said. Bead of silicone. The small gap really won't hurt performance either, IMHO.
I should have mentioned we pull the silicone bead out after the boat is hauled for the season, in case any water/condensation has accumulated. That way it drains/dries over the winter. We then put down a fresh silicone bead a few weeks before spring launch, as part of preparing the bottom.

It comes under the heading of commissioning. The dealer commissions the boat and does the final adjustments. My pic is fresh off the truck, pre-commissioning.

DQOTD: Anyone here put a (retracting) bobstay on a J/88? Would it make us ineligible for OD fleet racing? We've raced with a Code 0, and a hybrid A0 for distance races, and that could be risky without a bobstay - I know some J/111's and J/109's have legally added bobstays. I'd sure hate to snap off our sprit and suddenly have a 4" hole in our bow, taking on water in rough seas...

Hi. We have hull # 59 down in Cartagena, the carribean coast of Colombia. When we decided on the spi inventory we were recommended to protect the sprit. Hall Spars did the job for us and it was my understanding was the forst time they were designing such upgrade or protection for a J88. Has worked perfectely. It was coordinated by our dealer during the commissioning. I added file with the drawing of Hall Spars.

J88 BOBSTAY.pdf

Can anyone feedback on the sizes they have decided for their spi & code zero sails? We have a 629.75 sq. ft A0/3 + a 936.55 sq. ft. A4 + a 1,033.44 sq. ft. A2. Down here during trade winds season we have from noon to midnight 15 to 25 knots and some days puffs reaching 28-30. I think we have a too large A4 since sometimes with 20-25 knots is difficult to avoid frequent broaches. The advice of some of you more expert sailors is well received.

Thanks for the bobstay drawing!

I'm no expert, but we have:

A2(OD) = 96 sqm/1033sqft,

A0/3 = 70 sqm/753sqft

C0 = 55 sqm/592sqft

We have far more experience with the A2, the others are only useful for port-to-port races - but can be very useful under those conditions.

Interesting our A0/3's are not quite the same size, mine is North? Might simply be a variance in sailmakers - one an estimate, the other accurate?

It's not the ideal shape but my plan is to use the A0/3 as a heavy weather chicken chute (since it's 1.5 oz poly) instead of an A4, but we haven't tried it yet. I've been caught with our OD A2 in (building breeze) a steady 20 knots several times with gusts to 27 - no broach, but probably more luck than skill.

DQOTD: Anyone here put a (retracting) bobstay on a J/88? Would it make us ineligible for OD fleet racing? We've raced with a Code 0, and a hybrid A0 for distance races, and that could be risky without a bobstay - I know some J/111's and J/109's have legally added bobstays. I'd sure hate to snap off our sprit and suddenly have a 4" hole in our bow, taking on water in rough seas...

#36 has been using a bobstay, including at the 2015 East Coast Championships. I have not looked too much into how it is rigged, however it appears the bobstay line retracts internally thru the pole.

Can anyone feedback on the sizes they have decided for their spi & code zero sails? We have a 629.75 sq. ft A0/3 + a 936.55 sq. ft. A4 + a 1,033.44 sq. ft. A2. Down here during trade winds season we have from noon to midnight 15 to 25 knots and some days puffs reaching 28-30. I think we have a too large A4 since sometimes with 20-25 knots is difficult to avoid frequent broaches. The advice of some of you more expert sailors is well received.

In the US the One-Design Spinnakers dimensions are here: J88 Class Rules, J88 Class Sail Dimensions and J88 Class Rig Plan. The rules allow two spinnakers, presumably one of each, 95 m2 and 80 m2. In the UK it is 95 m2 and 70 m2

We have used a 95 m2 A2 for most conditions up to 25+ kts, and an 80 m2 A3 when above or when reaching.

Why are all those early adopters getting out?!

POS?

POS?
How have these predictions panned outt? You don't like the J/88, we got that years ago... :deadhorse:

Posted by jesposito on 04 May 2014

Like I said months ago, the J29 will be owing the J88 time by seasons end.

Another 29 ft J boat that the PHRF comm will rate as slow as the 29 except that this boat is designed 33 years after, like the J92, once the hacks get a hold of it and whine to the PHRF comm's it will change.

Posted by jesposito on 19 April 2014

Just go to the PHRF comm in Western LIS with your sailmaker and cry they will give you 6 sec.

Like I said way back in this thread, it is going to be another 29 foot J boat designed 30+ years after my J29 that I will owe time too once the hacks get done sailing it a few times. It will be just like the J92.

Posted by jesposito on 20 December 2013

YRALIS base rating for the J29MHOB is not 120, it is 114.

Hey if you guys are lucky the J88 will be poorly sailed like the J92 by a bunch of people, the whiners will complain to the PHRF comm and the rating will end up around 108.

Merry Christmas

fill and fair it but leave 1/4" all around it, then either seal it up with poo, or just leave the gap, it wont hurt at all. It definitely shouldn't be faired with hard compound, or it will crack, and also transfer engine vibration through the hull.

fill and fair it but leave 1/4" all around it, then either seal it up with poo, or just leave the gap, it wont hurt at all. It definitely shouldn't be faired with hard compound, or it will crack, and also transfer engine vibration through the hull.

Roger that. That is the plan. Commissioning has been sidetracked a bit with getting the keel plumb and centered. She could have had the advantages of a canting keel on one tack.

If the hole is the right shape, loosen the engine mounts and move the engine around a bit to get it centered in the opening.

If the hole is the right shape, loosen the engine mounts and move the engine around a bit to get it centered in the opening.

Not that simple. Motor needs to be rotated to center, then adjust mounts.

J88 Schedule 2016

This Month:

Sperry Charleston Race Week, North Charleston, SC, 14 - 17 Apr

Warsash Spring Championship, Warsash, SOU, UK, 16-17, 23-24 Apr

American Y.C. Spring Series, Rye, NY, USA, 23-24, 30 Apr, 1 May

Sausalito YC Spring Sunset Series, Sausalito, CA, USA, 26 Apr - 21 Jun

The Great Vallejo Race, San Francisco, CA, USA, Apr 30-May 1

J88 Schedule 2016

This Month:

Yes, all 3 of you at AYC spring

Some pretty good deals on Demo and Raced Ready J88's.

#79 and #28 are dealer / demo boats

#17, owner is not a racer and wants to cruise with family

#20, owner also has a J70

Freyja owner wants a larger J

Not familiar with Skew Right

Actually he bought an X-yacht.

J88 Schedule 2016

This Month:

Yes, all 3 of you at AYC spring

John, thanks for pointing this out the all the local J88 owners. :)

It was such a brutal winter, hopefully they will launch their boats sometime this spring.

Congrats to BSP and Deviation on their CRW win. Sounds like the wind/waves were pretty rough, especially offshore. Hope everyone is OK on Easy...

post-301-0-47825600-1460931653_thumb.jpeg

post-301-0-47825600-1460931653_thumb.jpeg

What happened to Easy Eight?

I see they only finished one race.

Jeff Pawlowski's brother-in-law had a heart attack on the race course Sunday Morning. I spoke with Jeff after the race and he seemed shaken but optimistic his brother-in-law would recover.

from: CHAMBER OF COMMERCE CONDITIONS MAKE FOR A PERFECT FINALE AT SPERRY CHARLESTON RACE WEEK

The decision to move the offshore boats to a safer spot would prove to be fortuitous for one sailor aboard the New York-based J/88 Easy Eights, thanks to quick action, a detailed safety plan, and Charleston Race Week’s long partnership with Roper St. Francis Healthcare doctor Stephen Shapiro. “We got a report of an unconscious sailor and immediately we put our plan into action with an EMT getting on the boat within minutes,” said Dr. Shapiro. He added that the cardiac arrest patient had no pulse and wasn’t breathing before the onboard AED was applied. Within a few minutes, the stricken sailor was conscious and talking, and he was pronounced stable later at the hospital not long afterward.

Dr. Shapiro credited the J/88 crew with beginning CPR, getting the sails down, and assisting with the safety boat as the paramedics worked. “Both our safety team and their crew did everything right, and we’re all extremely glad that things turned out for the best,” he said. Despite these heroic efforts, Shapiro was still surprised at the awards ceremony later that day when Draftz called him on stage to present him with the prestigious Jubilee Trophy For Sportsmanship. It was certainly well deserved.

Patrick is out of the hospital and home in Florida.

A very lucky young man.

Don't think he will be sailing his viper anytime soon.

I never noticed before today, but I'm a little surprised at how many differences there are between US built J/88's and the J/Composites version - assuming the pictures on the class website are representative http://j88fleet2.org/index.php/photos-and-media/photos. Many are cosmetic, presumably to appeal to the Euro market, I just didn't realize there would be so many differences (unless the US built boats have changed?). What I think I noticed from the pictures:

• A slight different inhauler control line setup
  • No cabintop handrail
  • A slightly different seahood (taller)
  • No headsail roller furler
  • Backstay control lines run up the center of the cockpit, instead of outboard
  • Ports in seats (opening?)
  • Exposed carbon fiber pattern on mast
  • Wood top on starboard chart table/nav station, and wooden door below
  • Elec distribution panel mounted on side, instead of nav station face panel
  • No sink on port side, flat with fiddles, and wooden door below
  • Wood ply tops on storage under berths
  • Forward spinnaker block on padeye forward of stanchion, instead of on stanchion base
  • Storage pockets above berths (optional or custom?)
  • Different companionway steps
  • Other?

Different strokes...

Sounds like the J/120. Same hull shape and keel, but that's about it. Different number of ports. Totally different interiors. Materials and some parts of the layout. The headroom is even different.

Some J88 "go fast" stuff

OK I'll bite. I recognize the inhauler rings (like J/109's are adopting), but what is the J-shaped doo dad?

Some J88 "go fast" stuff

OK I'll bite. I recognize the inhauler rings (like J/109's are adopting), but what is the J-shaped doo dad?
Sail 22 calls it a J88 Shroud Lock, one half slides between the D1 and D2 turnbuckles, the other half thru the cap shroud turnbuckle. It's quicker than cotterpins or rope.

post-66960-0-11669000-1462203127_thumb.jpeg

Some J88 "go fast" stuff

Sail 22 calls it a J88 Shroud Lock, one half slides between the D1 and D2 turnbuckles, the other half thru the cap shroud turnbuckle. It's quicker than cotterpins or rope.
Clever, I never would have guessed. You guys are really dialed in!

Some J88 "go fast" stuff

This is cool. I'm going to measure and make some for my J/109. Do you still use scar pins on the upper part of the turnbuckle to stop the shrouds from turning?

I plagiarized the J/88 inhauler setup based on crawling around the J/88 at the Newport Boat Show last year. Mine is similar with some mods so I can adjust both inhaulers from either side.

ok... where do we get those rings?

Oyster Bay Boat Shop part number OBM0085 - they were custom made for the J/109 and should be in stock now.

12823469_975009165885576_907002475162781

I used Antal R20.14 rings instead. There is enough clearance for the jib sheet and inhaul line through the same hole. Similar to this

P014018253_FUL.jpeg

I was interested in the inhauler rings. My local guy sells the same package as Oyster Bay, he quoted me $80/each for the inhauler rings alone, and they are a little large for a J/88. So I passed, I'd go with frictionless rings too, or just stay with my crappy SS rings...

Am I the only one who see the benefit of being able to run multiple sheets through the same ring for a headsail change?

dyneemaleverans-51.jpg

Am I the only one who see the benefit of being able to run multiple sheets through the same ring for a headsail change?

Sure, maybe a bigger boat like a J/111 with a different setup it would make sense to have a changing sheet ... we only have one Jib Halyard, a roller furler, only two Jibs, and for the most part do only W-L courses. So mostly we only do sail changes downwind or between races.

J/88 Blue Flash (Dr. Laura's old boat) has been hitting the offshore races on the West Coast hard.

• Led class in the Islands until 30 knot broach destroyed kite and staysail. They still finished 2nd in class.
  • Newport to Ensenda - 4th overall
  • Signed up for Spinnaker Cup (SF Bay to Monterey - 90ish miles)
  • Signed up for Coastal Cup (Monterey to Santa Barbara - 200ish miles)

J/88 Ventus completed the 400 mile Longpac last year and a race around the Farallones. Signed up for the Singlehanded Transpac this summer.

So, at least some of the J/88's are getting offshore.

Sure, maybe a bigger boat like a J/111 with a different setup it would make sense to have a changing sheet ... we only have one Jib Halyard, a roller furler, only two Jibs, and for the most part do only W-L courses. So mostly we only do sail changes downwind or between races.

Make sense. But a design like the J/88 deserves to go offshore once in a while :-)

MI2 did FLL to Key West then the first 2016 regatta to Cuba. 2 fun rides.

I am taking physical delivery of my new J88 this Saturday. First sail will be down wind 10 knot breeze (subject to change) from Solomons to Annapolis. Counting the days...

BlueFlash will do the Mac this year if all plans fall into place. We certainly have to weather the California Offshore Week first, but truly looking forward to the Mac as a Chicago native transplanted to the Northwest. We'll sail relatively shorthanded with some youth sailors including my son, which will make it a great adventure for all.

The J88 is a fun and capable offshore in the relatively short races we've done. I think that really speaks to the design brief; not a pure daysailor for round' the buoys, not a "family" boat, not an "offshore" racer. All of the above in some measure...

The stock SS inhauler rings definitely allow two sheets....but if we are changing too many jibs with one halyard against boats with 10' more waterline we are troubled already!

More important is to order wind from behind in advance...preferably 18+ in open water with waves. This is a FUN boat downwind in waves and breeze (OK maybe not 30 knot gusts with the big kite with resulting humbling shrimp/shredfest).

I will add that for the coastal events we've done so far, the addition of a code zero is pretty key at the least. Besides surfing conditions, it seems our biggest gains are under zero conditions against bigger boats that easily go upwind and reach faster than us due to waterline. I think the boat is rated fast enough (we get 69 OWR instead of 84 W/L) that you have to excel when you can, and it's certainly a pretty quick boat with code zero conditions.

I've no doubt the J88 is fun to race one design, but that's something our team has yet to experience. But I think at this point it's proven to be a coastal racer at the very least.

I'll second the idea that the J88 "deserves" to go offshore.

rule 6.3 is idiotic. There are plenty of times the bowsprit is out for prefeeding or after dousing when it should be considered for overlap (like mark roundings??)

2014 J-88 sale, Raging Bull, $103,000. Worth shipping her here to the USA

My #85 finally came home. Tough ride up the bay gusting over 30.

2014 J-88 sale, Raging Bull, $103,000. Worth shipping her here to the USA

My #85 finally came home. Tough ride up the bay gusting over 30.

I guess you didn't bring Hornet up last Saturday.

A couple of good deals on J88s. I wonder what it costs to ship across the pond.