MidPack

J/88

Yep 2 88's

C&C 30 1D are as common as skeeters. Can't get laid in one I bet

Yes Jabins

We are leaving the dock in an hour so I will get some pics this afternoon. Good practice day.

The C&C's all launched today and have crew crawling all over them. Don't these people have jobs?

MI2 did FLL to Key West then the first 2016 regatta to Cuba. 2 fun rides.

I am taking physical delivery of my new J88 this Saturday. First sail will be down wind 10 knot breeze (subject to change) from Solomons to Annapolis. Counting the days...

Was that the J88 that was sitting in front of the office at Z's for about a month recently?

Sweet looking boat!

Congratulations!

...FC

With six boats now entered in the Chicago NOODs, we have our first 'bonafide' J/88 OD section for Chicagoland (Lake Michigan?). Anyone else interested?

Now seven J/88's entered, not too late to enter for Jun 17-19...

With six boats now entered in the Chicago NOODs, we have our first 'bonafide' J/88 OD section for Chicagoland (Lake Michigan?). Anyone else interested?

Now seven J/88's entered, not too late to enter for Jun 17-19...

Sorry we'll miss Chicago NOODs - great turnout! I see the J88 plan to do the Rally Race on Saturday, will that allow C0's?

Our plan is the Verve Cup in 2017 after the 2017 J88 North Americans in Youngstown, NY.

BTW: Iris says we have 9 local boats committed to the 2016 J88 North Americans in Rye, NY, be nice to see some out-of-town talent.

Spur of the moment sign up for the Annapolis Yacht Club distance race this Saturday. First race for this boat. Actually only had the boat out 3 times. Need crew. If we place 3rd in class all crew members get a new Porsche Boxster. If we place 2nd you get a new 911S. First you all get a Panamera 4.

Need help meeting the safety regs for Chicago Mac. Anyone have advice or a photo of how they managed:

23. Cooking facilities – Boats shall have a cooking stove permanently installed or securely fastened with safe, accessible fuel shutoff capable of being safely operated in a seaway

We'd like to get a jetboil...but how to mount?

Thx

Need help meeting the safety regs for Chicago Mac. Anyone have advice or a photo of how they managed:

23. Cooking facilities – Boats shall have a cooking stove permanently installed or securely fastened with safe, accessible fuel shutoff capable of being safely operated in a seaway

We'd like to get a jetboil...but how to mount?

Thx

This arrangement was apparently suitable for an Open 40

13332994_10209774084896827_6104212443855

We did the Mac on a J/88 using one just like this https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-GS-3000-Portable-Carrying-Approved/dp/B00BS4RP7S/179-0127903-3882423?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00BS4RP7S&linkCode=as2&linkId=B6GMRF22TZXU42XZ&redirect=true&ref_=as_li_tl&tag=tcb102-20. We did boil water in the cockpit footwell more than once for coffee and ramen with it during the race, worked well. I don't remember if it was permanently attached below, or the wording of the rule that year.

post-301-0-77150800-1465468231_thumb.jpeg

anyone know where i can find pictures of the J/88 with the autopilot. Im looking to install mine with a custom bracket but im in need of some ideas!

anyone know where i can find pictures of the J/88 with the autopilot. Im looking to install mine with a custom bracket but im in need of some ideas!

From way back on Page 14. (I am so lazy we are still using v. 1.0) It was great last Sunday night in the squall, I could nearly see.

AutoPilot Bracket: attachment without drilling holes, rough version 1.0.

post-66960-0-73314100-1403438013_thumb.jpost-66960-0-39281700-1403438087_thumb.j

Here is the other one: From J88 website

NKE Electronics: J88 installation in San Francisco

This is the installation of the nke mechanical ram on a J88 boat, made by our american dealer Euromarine Trading in USA. Looking for a victory in the single handed Transpac next year !

199cb08864.jpgea0e90fb0a.jpg2b216aecc6.jpg

More information about NKE Electronics mechanical ram here

More information about NKE Electronics Dealers Network here

Spur of the moment sign up for the Annapolis Yacht Club distance race this Saturday. First race for this boat. Actually only had the boat out 3 times. Need crew. If we place 3rd in class all crew members get a new Porsche Boxster. If we place 2nd you get a new 911S. First you all get a Panamera 4.

thanks Hornet, great race - it was fun ... to bad we didn't win any cars

thanks Hornet, great race - it was fun ... to bad we didn't win any cars

Great to have you on board Bill. You are a racing machine! Hope you can join us again.

My matchbox collection stays intact.

DQOTD: Is the new J/88 main sheet setup worth the expense of converting (from the original setup) - retail about $289? Or if you prefer, what's wrong with the original setup?

http://j88class.org/index.php/forum-and-classifieds/documents-1/parts-map/mainsheet-original

http://j88class.org/index.php/forum-and-classifieds/documents-1/parts-map/mainsheet-alternate

AND, has anyone seen a parts list for the new backstay setup (that I've seen on some hull #'s in the 80's)?

Never sailed the 88, but to me the main advantage to the new sheet arrangement is that the old one had lines on either side of the traveller, so during tacks/gybes, you'd have to move both the fine and gross tune that are on either side of the falls. Now, you can grab gross and fine and transfer them to the other side more easily.

So, I'd prefer the new setup. Whether it's worth $289 is for you to say; how much of an issue do you have with the current setup?

How'z it doing now?

Kites up. Battling for line honors with an Olson 29 and Express 37. He's the most profilic emailer, so conditions must not be too bad onboard. Chris's latest email is pretty funny.

"A few years ago I came across the YouTube videos of Ronnie Simpson in his Moore 24 Hope for the Warriors. I was impressed by his story. …. Very inspirational

I also remember seeing him eat and drive the boat with kite up at same time. I thought I want to do that ……. I still want to. Well done. I’ll be eating smashed crackers and deck cheese tonight"

Thinking of picking up one of the year old 88's that are on the market. I've been reading through the thread trying to understand if the boat will suit my needs.

I would be the first in my general area with one, so OD would likely be a small part of what we could do. So it would be a bunch of PHRF racing with the typical fleets of mid-30 ft racers.

I've been concerned about how the boat will perform in a phrf fleet w/o overlapping headsails, as many here have discussed. I took a look at ACY spring and fall series results, where there are a few j88s in the phrf fleet. Seems like the boats have done ok. Is this because at those times of the year there is generally more breeze?

I have tried, without much success, to find some results of more typical beer-can results to see how they do in a mixed fleet and in varying wind conditions.

Any input appreciated.

Like any boat the 88 has its strong and weak points boat for boat in phrf

long upwind leg you cannot keep up with longer waterline boats

light air, the boat is way above average

off the wind in 10-14 will be a struggle but higher or lower winds and you are gone

Fun boat. Great quality and easy running rigging set up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByVRvJTxHVWOcVA1VUNhNkpWck0/view

There is no right answer to your question. Every boat design has point of sail, wind range and/or other strengths and weaknesses that rating systems can't possibly account for - ratings are a compromise. Gift ratings are uncommon, most often associated with very uncommon boat designs, highly unlikely for a OD boat or any boat model with enough race data to establish a representative compromise rating.

I could tell you what our experience has been, but it's unlikely to translate to your area. With each boat I've raced regularly on, I've known which PHRF races we could win barring a big mistake, and which were hopeless no matter how well we sailed. That's why OD racing has grown in popularity while handicap racing is declining.

All else being equal (crew, tactics, etc.), you've already identified the biggest weakness with the J/88. The lack of overlapping headsails will make going upwind in very light air challenging in a PHRF race. In an offwind port-to-port, you will most likely smoke many other designs (except higher downwind SA/D boats).

Thanks. This is actually very helpful.

I am well aware of the shortcomings of phrf, I just wanted to make sure that i was not making a big mistake planning to do phrf in an 88.

Sounds about as I was hoping/expected.

I agree with comments on J88 perfomance. We race a multiclass fleet in Cartagena, Colombia and we have had variable results. We have won wonderful regattas against Benneteau First and Jeanneau Sunfast of different sizes (36, 41, 47 and 50 feet). We have also lost badly others. Maybe only would add that for longer waterline boats, not only upwind disadvantage, but probably the worst angle of sailing is a reach. In no wind strengh we have been able to outperform any larger boats in a reach. Additiopnally, with strong wind and waves out of the bay in open ocean, even some quite heavy ones beat us in a reach. But I won{t change my J88 anyway, a wonderful boat.

Thanks. This is actually very helpful.

I am well aware of the shortcomings of phrf, I just wanted to make sure that i was not making a big mistake planning to do phrf in an 88.

Sounds about as I was hoping/expected.

The J88 is nothing like a J105 in light air, if that's your concern. The AYC Spring Series this year was not particularly windy, the only race we won was in a dying breeze.

We've been to four OD events this year by trailer, the J88 trailers nicely, pretty quick to rig up.

Prices for pre-owned J88's has been updated today.

Thanks.

Curious about your trailering experience.

My entire trailering experience is watching friends hoist and trailer j/24s. Seems like the j88 could be a bit more complex. How long does it take you to get from the water, to drive away? Also, how long to rig and launch.

I also worry about the rig. seems it would require more care than an aluminum rig.

Last Sunday it took 3 hours from touching the dock to driving away, basically this includes:

haul boat

put boat on the trailer and strap down

remove tiller, rudder, and boom, disconnect shrouds

lower mast, strip off shrouds, spreaders and instruments

bag rudder, tiller, boom, keel, spreaders, shrouds, mast & forestay, instruments, turnbuckles (we've got a bunch of awesome custom covers from Harken Canvas that makes this step really quick)

tie down mast and a few deck blocks

eat pizza

drink beer

go to awards ceremony

thank our hosts

shower and pack bags

hook up van to trailer and drive away

Launching takes a bit longer because I take my time tuning the rig. (often the delays are for the hoist and waiting to step the mast)

I don't think the CF rig takes any additional care than an AL rig; you need to protect it and keep it clean either way.

Last Sunday it took 3 hours from touching the dock to driving away, basically this includes:

haul boat

put boat on the trailer and strap down

remove tiller, rudder, and boom, disconnect shrouds

lower mast, strip off shrouds, spreaders and instruments

bag rudder, tiller, boom, keel, spreaders, shrouds, mast & forestay, instruments, turnbuckles (we've got a bunch of awesome custom covers from Harken Canvas that makes this step really quick)

tie down mast and a few deck blocks

eat pizza

drink beer

go to awards ceremony

thank our hosts

shower and pack bags

hook up van to trailer and drive away

Launching takes a bit longer because I take my time tuning the rig. (often the delays are for the hoist and waiting to step the mast)

I don't think the CF rig takes any additional care than an AL rig; you need to protect it and keep it clean either way.

I had ten wonderful years of that in sports car racing

tow to Sebring or Watkins Glen...

unload the car

set up the tents

adjust the suspension for the track and weather

select tire compounds, mount

Enough. Go sailing/racing. Back to the dock and go home.

post-60745-0-37508400-1470164082_thumb.jpg

I am the only one that felt a back stay flicker was necessary? Searching through the photos I can't find a boat that has one.

My top batten and /or roach gets hung up in light and mid wind speeds. Banging the main around trying to get it to jibe through inverts the second batten loosies ponies.

Hopefully this will do the trick

attachicon.gifIMG_0132.JPG

I am the only one that felt a back stay flicker was necessary? Searching through the photos I can't find a boat that has one.

My top batten and /or roach gets hung up in light and mid wind speeds. Banging the main around trying to get it to jibe through inverts the second batten loosies ponies.

About half of Fleet 2 uses a backstay flicker, perhaps they use stiffer top battens, idk ...

attachicon.gifIMG_0132.JPG

None of 7 J/88's I've seen near us have flickers. We haven't installed one because we (erroneously?) assume they aren't class legal and a flicker won't necessarily help with inverted battens in very light air. Inversion has been a much bigger issue than hanging up on the backstay IME, presumably the backstay helps the battens flip over. I've changed the batten tension (North 3Di) several times and it seems to be a choice between vertical wrinkles and inversion - I haven't found a happy medium.

On a related front, are thinner battens allowed? In VERY light air, our bottom three (partial) battens don't seem to bend at all. The main sail chord/draft is more V than "airfoil" shaped in the middle, can't be ideal...

Different boat, but recently sailed on a J90 with 3di in mostly under 10 knts. Added loctite to batten screws and back them way off, just enough tension to keep the battens in. Could easy tighten with just fingers. When wind picked up over 12, few ugly wrinkles developed, but they were perfect under that. Never inverted and looked good. 3di is strong shit.

We still have the original 2-cascade backstay config, and we'd like to convert to the newer 3-cascade setup. I'd like to reuse what we can versus replacing everything, and I can see what blocks, etc. are required from the old and new owners manuals. But I don't know the new shorter backstay length, or the new cascade lengths (assume the same line diameters). Is it all detailed somewhere or are my only options a) contact local dealer, B) contact J/Boats, c) contact Hall (modify what I have, or all new-ouch), d) measure on a newer J/88 (easy for cascades, but not for backstay), or e) other?

The two 88's pictured here appear to have the same mainsails. They are not Oceanvolt mains. No big white patches on them like Oceanvolts have.

post-60745-0-40322000-1472136351_thumb.jpg

We still have the original 2-cascade backstay config, and we'd like to convert to the newer 3-cascade setup. I'd like to reuse what we can versus replacing everything, and I can see what blocks, etc. are required from the old and new owners manuals. But I don't know the new shorter backstay length, or the new cascade lengths (assume the same line diameters). Is it all detailed somewhere or are my only options a) contact local dealer, B) contact J/Boats, c) contact Hall (modify what I have, or all new-ouch), d) measure on a newer J/88 (easy for cascades, but not for backstay), or e) other?

im redoing mine in spring . Im also adding a Flicker for the backstay. i will adjust my length with the flicker installed.

The two 88's pictured here appear to have the same mainsails. They are not Oceanvolt mains. No big white patches on them like Oceanvolts have.

I thought post #2071 was the answer, North Sail...

im redoing mine in spring . Im also adding a Flicker for the backstay. i will adjust my length with the flicker installed.

Where did you find the new specs?

My main trimmer wants a flicker, but with the (very stiff) mast, that will make depowering even more problematic. So I am resisting the flicker, we'd only wish for it in very light air. A very knowledgeable local sailmaker, who has made sails for two of the most competitive J/88's near me, told me those who've added flickers on J/88's have regretted it, but maybe some owners will share their views. YMMV

I thought post #2071 was the answer, North Sail...

Where did you find the new specs?

My main trimmer wants a flicker, but with the (very stiff) mast, that will make depowering even more problematic. So I am resisting the flicker, we'd only wish for it in very light air. A very knowledgeable local sailmaker, who has made sails for two of the most competitive J/88's near me, told me those who've added flickers on J/88's have regretted it, but maybe some owners will share their views. YMMV

I really dont see a flicker hurting anything yeah so it adds a couple more pounds of initial resistance big deal. If that little xtra load is holding you back from bending the mast then your problems are way bigger than the flicker

Probably just me, but the J/88 has the stiffest mast of the 5 boats I've owned. And without a hydraulic backstay, it's pretty hard to bend, especially if you have the original J/88 backstay config, which bottoms out early (triple block just over the rudder). That's why we want to go to the new backstay config, more power and throw. YMMV

What is this messenger line for?

Is everyone also using cars on their mainsails like this one? Seems like overkill on a boat this size. Is a regular main track class legal?

Is everyone also using cars on their mainsails like this one? Seems like overkill on a boat this size. Is a regular main track class legal?

Those are the regular cars. On my North 3di all full batten have a car like this.

North for example, it's only a couple battcars where there are full fattens, mostly sliders. All class legal. Any sailmaker will have their recommendation, and give you whatever you want.

http://www.offshoreonedesign.com/OffshoreOneDesignClasses/J88/tabid/41698/language/en-US/Default.aspx

post-301-0-88758400-1472491319_thumb.jpeg

post-301-0-88758400-1472491319_thumb.jpeg

th

The J88 Rig Plan specifies a Hall Size AA Track (which appears to be a Harken 2707 Micro Traveler Track).

As MidPack points out, most of the sliders are the 13mm FRP 3814 sliders. Harken does not make a smaller version of this slider. I have seen these cars pull out when hoisting or reefing, when the load is jerked away from the track, so I suspect it is not too-much overkill.

Regarding the second spin halyard there is a shiv below the top spin halyard with a messenger exiting the starboard side of the mast.

Turning block, brake and halyard and we are all set.

J/88's can do well handicap racing too (off the wind):

With an 84 rating, go figure.

As noted, it happened to be an offwind race, the most obvious strength of the J/88. So what should the J/88 W/L PHRF rating be, and why?

I haven't seen ANY owners whine about the rating at 87 or 84. Have you? The ones I know think it may continue a little lower if anything.

Your earlier rants haven't quite played out as you predicted, including "Like I said [22] months ago, the J29 will be owing the J88 time by seasons end." Which is it?

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=138656&p=4379850

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=138656&p=4550585

Lol, I guess you saw Thin Man beat Red Sky in Vinyard Race ... I'm guessing Hustler would have probably won. :P

Most likely, Red Sky happens to be the worst sailed out of all of you.

Three J88 one-design regattas in a row on Long Island Sound this fall:

September 17-18, 2016 - STC & RYC Long Island Sound Championships

Sep 24, 25, 30 & Oct 1,2, 2016 - AYC Fall Regatta & J88 North American Championship

Really 2, but who's counting

Three J88 one-design regattas weekends in a row on Long Island Sound this fall:

Sep 24, 25, 30 & Oct 1,2, 2016 - AYC Fall Regatta & J88 North American Championship

Really 2, but who's counting

brain fart: that leaves PHRF 2 in AYC Fall to all the boats designed last century.

But not at a cost of $150K

It only took that much to finally beat us

Rudder Pins:

We pull our rudder off every time we trailer it to save wear on the bolt holes in the rudder and on the transom. I find the rings a PITA to remove and install, especially the lower one. So we picked up a few of these Hitch Pin Clips (Hillman Group 43982 .125 X 2-9/16 Stainless Steel) which makes he job easier.

295u3rp.jpg
2lvcz7m.jpg

YMMV but I tried hitch pins for my tack pin on the main and they fell out.

YMMV but I tried hitch pins for my tack pin on the main and they fell out.

Roleur, thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping since that the location and application is different, so will the results. After 2 months they are still there, however like all rigging attachment points, it is necessary to keep a vigilant watch on the status and condition. Your point is well taken.

Three J88 one-design weekends in a row on Long Island Sound this fall:

Each weekend will be successively harder: next weekend we'll see a few more pro's out there and a few more out-of-town hotshots. (Hopefully the wind cooperates a little better)

heh heh heh ... congrats to Red Sky this weekend, they sailed really consist and fast in shifty conditions.

Three J88 one-design weekends in a row on Long Island Sound this fall:

Each weekend will be successively harder: next weekend we'll see a few more pro's out there and a few more out-of-town hotshots. (Hopefully the wind cooperates a little better)

heh heh heh ... congrats to Red Sky this weekend, they sailed really consist and fast in shifty conditions.

That only means you all really suck worse

Don't need too anymore, and when I did you could beat us.

It only took 150K to finally beat us at spring series

Don't you ever get tired of being bitter?

I do,

but some just keep asking for it, I don't really think Bill's Sock Puppet wants to compare sailing resume's

I do hope you all realise how totally idiotic this is to everyone else reading.

I'm thinking you're all 12 years old, right? That or you like licking condensation off windows?

I do,

but some just keep asking for it, I don't really think Bill's Sock Puppet wants to compare sailing resume's

Wow you must be a former pro cuz the puppet has done more racing this season than I have done in 10 seasons.

I do,

Wow you must be a former pro cuz the puppet has done more racing this season than I have done in 10 seasons.

Shut the fuck up, nobody talking to you.

Loser

Awesome J88 North Americans at American Yacht Club this weekend: congrats to Mike Bruno and Team Wings for an outstanding showing and thanks for the out-of-town boats that traveled from as far away as Chicago. We look forward to seeing everyone again soon. (I was hoping for some sailing pictures)

That's over 1.35M spent to finally beat Espo! :P

2017 Block Island Race Week XXVII – registration is up on Yacht Scoring

J 88 East Coast Championship

Storm Trysail Club

Block Island, RI, USA

June 18 - 23, 2017

I hope you don't pick up where you left off at the NA's

Who do I contact in the J/88 Class about coordinating future regattas (e.g. 2018 NAs) with other classes? It doesn't appear that the class officer structure exists yet on the J/88 Class website.

WHK, The J88 Class Structure is what it is: four Fleet Captains in the US + Jboats make up a Steering Committee. (The UK Fleet does their own thing.) The best bet is to contact your closest Fleet Captain with your idea and they will pass along the information, they meet pretty regularly. I think the J88 class would welcome the camaraderie of other J classes ( even the J29MHOB B) ). Ultimately it's up to the Organizing Authority for the particular regatta. Tentatively the Chicago NOOD or Verve Cup are being discussed for the 2018 J88 NAs.

Thanks for the info on J/88 Class. The J/109 Class has traditionally setup the NAs alternating between BI Race Week in the odd years and at New York YC Race week in the even years. We are looking to organize 2018 NAs as a stand alone event, or coupled with another class. Tentatively this would be hosted by one of the Yacht Clubs in Newport, RI. This is where I'd like to find out if the J/88 Class would be interested in organizing with the J/109 class. I'm on the J/109 Executive Board and am working this.

Additionally we started the J/Fest New England in August 2016 hosted by Bristol YC and had two J/88s there (Yonder and Electra). We hope to have the dates and host locked in for 2017 by the end of October but it will be in Newport 12-13 August 2017 or 26-27 August 2017. Once the dates are locked in, we would like to know if this is an event that the J/88 Class would like to have something like a regional or east coast championship. I'm on the J/Fest New England organizing committee and we worked closely with J/Boats to setup the 2016 event.

So... if you have the ear of the J/88 Fleet Captains - pass along the ideas and see if they are interested in one or both of the above. They can contact me directly, or let Kendra at J/Boats know and she'll let me know.