MidPack

J/88

Thanks for confirming. I'm hoping to get my wife over to check them out? Why are they going to have 5 there? Winter storage? I figured they'd have theirs available to check out.

Thanks for confirming. I'm hoping to get my wife over to check them out? Why are they going to have 5 there? Winter storage? I figured they'd have theirs available to check out.

You probably already know, but there are 9 J/88's on southern Lake Mich, 5-7 in Chicago proper if you just want to see one in person.

The other five are there for either winter storage or getting prepped for Key West Race Week.

You probably already know, but there are 9 J/88's on southern Lake Mich, 5-7 in Chicago proper if you just want to see one in person.

MidPack - Thanks. My profile needs an update. I'm out in CT/NY these days. BSP hooked me up for a ride earlier in the season and I raced NA's with Blondie2. Good times. The joke was the one by the McMichaels office had our name on it. You never know.....

In what conditions would you NOT like it ?

I mean do you NEED it no.. but it would seem like a no brainer to make controling the tack easier no?

Ehhh, If I was just doing W/L racing it would be needless line, time, and complexity flying around. Any kind of reaching race/kite though - toss that bad girl on there.

In what conditions would you NOT like it ?

I mean do you NEED it no.. but it would seem like a no brainer to make controlling the tack easier no?

The A2 is only 95 sqm, so it is not that difficult to adjust the tack line by hand or use a nearby winch.

With limited Code Zero experience, we mostly used the halyard for luff tension.

I would never use a tack line for the code-0 as it only introduced additional stretch.

On my J/111 I have a strap (made of heavy sail cloth/dyneema) that goes around the sprit. The code-0 furler is fixed to it directly. The strap is stiff enough that it doesn't allow torsion for the furler. I only use a (2nd) tack line to pull the strap forward on the sprit (it tacks at about mid-sprit). But as there is almost no tension on that tack line stretch is not an issue. My 1st tack line then remains available to quickly peel to a gennaker.

I would never use a tack line for the code-0 as it only introduced additional stretch.

On my J/111 I have a strap (made of heavy sail cloth/dyneema) that goes around the sprit. The code-0 furler is fixed to it directly. The strap is stiff enough that it doesn't allow torsion for the furler. I only use a (2nd) tack line to pull the strap forward on the sprit (it tacks at about mid-sprit). But as there is almost no tension on that tack line stretch is not an issue. My 1st tack line then remains available to quickly peel to a gennaker.

Sounds a lot like the C0 setup on Blur. http://www.blur.se/2012/06/28/j111-blur%c2%b3-downwind-sails/

post-301-0-72532400-1477081827_thumb.jpg

If the halyard doesnt have the ball fully into the sheave then the chafe from the sail working back and forth will work through the Code Zero halyard in no time. Hence the 2:1 tackline. Get the halyard fully two blocked at the top of the mast, lock it off (around a winch), then get the requisite luff cable tension with the 2:1 tackline. No chafing, enough tension. Blammo.

I just wanted to say my thanks to the Hornet crew - I got the chance to visit the boat on the "VIP" day of the boat-show (Thursday) and really appreciated the chance to give it a look over.

Nice boat. To be sure.

Check out the North Tuning guide where Vince Brun suggests a few things that are not class legal..at first I thought this was a fitting on the newer boats.. but it appears to be a custom pole end fitting?

Check photos of pole end on Page 8- Figure 2-

http://www.offshoreonedesign.com/Portals/84/docs/J88/4-NS-Tuning%20Guide_J88_7.21.16.pdf

Now check this link where he talks about moving the spinnaker turning block further fwd ( which I totally agree with also..btw) but also not legal by my account of the rules?

http://www.offshoreonedesign.com/tabid/44424/default.aspx?news_id=6881

thoughts??

Check out the North Tuning guide where Vince Brun suggests a few things that are not class legal..at first I thought this was a fitting on the newer boats.. but it appears to be a custom pole end fitting?

Now check this link where he talks about moving the spinnaker turning block further fwd ( which I totally agree with also..btw) but also not legal by my account of the rules?

I have not seen the Custom Pole Fitting ... I have seen a couple boats with the Spinnaker Turning Block moved forward of the stanchion brace.

Bill do you think moving the block fwd is legal as the way the rules read?

This is definitely one that makes sense to me and should be allowed.. but ..

it should be. the way its set up from factory is badly designed

it should be. the way its set up from factory is badly designed

I assume we're talking about the block by the winch, not the aft block. I can't imagine why you couldn't move that block, though I am curious where to without crossing the jib sheet. I must misunderstand the issue(s).

yes moving the fwd spinnaker ratchet block which is under the support leg of the stanchion base and currently is close to the winch and the jib sheet.. I would think moving it fwd to be 70% of the way ( closer) to the cabin top winch and more in line with it.

It would require a pad eye on the deck of some sort, as the next stanchion base is too far fwd,..

So the question becomes.. is it legal to move this block by way of a new pad eye in the deck ?

For all European built J88s the forward spinnaker blocks are mounted to a padeye fixed around 6" forward of the stanchion base

Good catch, I (for one) hadn't noticed. I found several pictures confirming on the J/88 website, here's just one.

post-301-0-37380500-1478699932_thumb.png

So the question becomes.. is it legal to move this block by way of a new pad eye in the deck ?

A few months back the question was asked if a JComposites boat could race at Key West Race Week as-is, one-design. The answer I received, thru the grapevine, was simply "they would need to change the forestay to roller furling." This seems to suggest that the deck layout of the JComposites boats is a viable alternative to the CCFC deck layout.

Some photos of JLance from the the J88 website:

Navegacin_J88_12.JPG

Balance_J88_3.JPG

Great pics of the Euro spin block setup. I see the Euro inhaulers setup is a little different than the original US layout too (among quite a few other differences). And no cabintop handrail on the Euro, that's surprising IMO.

A belated comment on the 2:1 tackline for the code zero: I don't think it's needed for extra purchase as you already have the winch and backstay to manage that (on BlueFlash we also have an internal clutch for the pole line when using the zeros).

But one nice feature is the ability to furl the zero (without the 2:1 it twists) AND also get the sail off the end of the pole by releasing the tackline as opposed to the gymnastics of tripping the fixed shackle (boat hook, martin breaker etc.). Peeling from zero to kite then back to zero etc.(Newport Ensenada!) becomes possible without bringing in the pole.

Downsides include the extra friction getting the pole out, and the need for a longer tackline tail to accomplish a letterbox drop all the way into the hatch.

With a fixed loop lashed at the pole end, you can use a shackle on the tack line for 2:1, and switch back to 1:1 quite easily by undoing the shackle from the pole loop.

This is a nice way to go if you are using the boat for distance racing with a code zero.

Curious what people think the percentage of boats racing anywhere that have had professional bottoms jobs?

Ours has in the UK, not sure how many others have, a few have antifoul sanded back Andy other said have standard antifoul. Having said that every boat that is actively raced here (about 8 boats) is dry sailed

J88 East Coast Championship info from Iris, J88 Fleet 2, Fleet Captain

Happy New Year to everyone!

Here are some important links for Block Island Race Week: http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=2954
The Block Island Ferry reservation office opens at 7:am on January 4th. Good luck! (866) 783-7996 ext. 3
Make your slip reservation at Block Island Boat basin: http://bibbreserve.com/reservation-request/
There are many options to find housing but the car ferry is the most important as it fills up quickly.
2017 BIRW will be the J88 East Coast Championship so don't miss this one! Also, it is not too late to sign up for St Petersburg NOOD and Charleston Race Week.
Let me know if you need help with information or logistics,
Best,
Iris

There will be a J/88 (#83 for sale) on display at the Chicago Boat, RV & Strictly Sail Show in the OD section Jan 11-15 (Wed thru Sun). Fleet 4 boat owners and crew will be on hand:

• Thur late afternoon on
  • Fri 3-9pm
  • Sat 10a into the afternoon
  • Sun 1pm and after

to talk about the boat or OD racing. And the Midwest dealer, Rich Stearns, has space nearby if you want to talk with the local J/Boats dealer.

CHARLESTON RACE WEEK 2017..

Who is in????

Registration is a bit poor at the moment.. who else is missing?

Fun event that should be on the calendar.

We did CRW in 2014. It was a great event in every respect except the offshore circle 4 (J/88's in 2014-2016) was a minimum of 1:15 hrs away motoring at full throttle. Unless the offshore circle was moved, it's a long slog. In 3 days we got in 6 races, with NO races the third day (that was a fun 2:30 hrs motoring for nothing) vs 7-10 races for the inshore classes. We haven't been back. Great event if you're on the inshore circles 1, 2 or 3. And Charleston is a great town!

post-301-0-95495500-1485976209_thumb.jpg

I hear everyone and in fairness i have always been on the inshore circles.. but it seems like ( aside from last year with crazy weather) its still worth the trip for the competition and shoreside fun..

Hoping we could get a solid fleet of J88's to go..

I know of at least another two other boats that are considering going.. Wings and Spaceman... would be nice to get everyone to give a yeah or nay sooner than later for logistical purposes..

We did CRW in 2014. It was a great event in every respect except the offshore circle 4 (J/88's in 2014) was a minimum of 1:15 hrs away motoring at full throttle. Unless the offshore circle was moved, it's a long slog. In 3 days we got in 6 races, with NO races the third day (that was a fun 2:30 hrs motoring for nothing) vs 7-10 races for the inshore classes. We haven't been back. Great event if you're on the inshore circles 1, 2 or 3. And Charleston is a great town!

Yeah offshore sucks unless you are in a boat that motors 10 knots and even then its a long day. You should try that program with a 4hp outboard powered boat. Sucks doesn't even begin to describe it. Fucking 7am boat call and then by the time you get back the party is half done and that is if nothing needs to be fixed or worked on. Then its no party for you. I haven't been back since we got booted out of the inner harbor by the large influx of OD little boats. It was way cool when it was smaller and held at the yacht club. Too big for its britches nowadays.

Yep - been there -done that won't do it again. Inshore is ok - the racing kinda sucks as it is mostly a banging the corner kind of place due to the currents.

CRW update:

Working on putting them [j88's] in the harbor. No promises yet but we are adding a fourth course and should be able to start you with the GP26 class and score you one design. If it doesn't work then it will have to be on the offshore course.

CRW update:

Working on putting them [j88's] in the harbor. No promises yet but we are adding a fourth course and should be able to start you with the GP26 class and score you one design. If it doesn't work then it will have to be on the offshore course.

That would make a huge difference IMO.

CRW update:

it would bu it won't happen - there is simply no room

CRW update:

Working on putting them [j88's] in the harbor. No promises yet but we are adding a fourth course and should be able to start you with the GP26 class and score you one design. If it doesn't work then it will have to be on the offshore course. [/font][/color]

From Facebook

16426203_10154473052424895_2523514948092

Raceweekers! What's the latest refinement for 2017? A fourth inshore race course. That's right. To allow for additional classes, we'll be setting up a new circle just northwest of regatta headquarters at the Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina. Serious racing. Serious fun. That's #CRW

That's close to the Bar :)

J/88 Fleet 2 Event - 2017 J/Fest New England hosted at Sail Newport (11-13 August)

Click the logo to register now - pay no money until the 14 July due date!

Jfest2017-site-header.png

J/88 owners are welcome to register for the J/Fest New England regatta. Iris Vogel has included the J/Fest on the 2017 Fleet 2 calendar. Five boats gets you a one design class, or less than 5 you are in the J/Asym PHRF class.

The J/Fest website is up, registration is open and the NOR is posted. $250 registration fee for a great race weekend. Similar to last year. we will have sponsorship to support a great event with quality skipper bags and swag too.

Click on the logo for the J/Fest New England Website. Registration link is in the menu.

• Friday Check-in, Skipper meeting, North Sails Weather & Local Knowledge Brief - We may be the first group in the new Sail Newport Mid Park Marine Education & Training Center
  • Saturday Racing, Social and BBQ under the tent at Ft. Adams
  • Sunday Racing and Awards presentation at Ft. Adams

The regatta website has complete information about dockage, places to stay, directions and food. The food section will be augmented so you can easily get crew lunches.

Post here if you plan on attending.

CRW update:

Have you come out of your depression from KW yet?

From Facebook

16426203_10154473052424895_2523514948092

Raceweekers! What's the latest refinement for 2017? A fourth inshore race course. That's right. To allow for additional classes, we'll be setting up a new circle just northwest of regatta headquarters at the Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina. Serious racing. Serious fun. That's #CRW

That's close to the Bar :)

Close to the bar but will have nothing to do with racing - that area is simply not conducive to racing - look at how many groundings happened with the boats racing there last year. You might as well not bring your boat and just go for the party

Close to the bar but will have nothing to do with racing - that area is simply not conducive to racing - look at how many groundings happened with the boats racing there last year. You might as well not bring your boat and just go for the party

They didn't say the J88 and GP26 would actually be using that 4th Circle. is there a class that can use an E-W ½ mile leg? Fortunately, the prevailing wind that time of year is SSW.

charleston_apr.gif

Have you come out of your depression from KW yet?

John, I race about 35 weekends a year, I can't get too depressed over losing to better sailed boats. I do I appreciate your concern though.

That's your problem

McMichael just sold two more boats into Connecticut (Riverside and Norwalk), both owners plan to campaign the boats so that's a big step forward for fleet building. Plenty of one design events planned this summer and potentially a J88 class for the Vineyard Race short course!

post-9088-0-82786300-1487021056_thumb.jpg

Charleston is confirming that J-88's will race inside..

4 boats are in( 2 registered but 2 more def are in)

Who else wants to join the party??

J-88 North Americans at YYC - Youngstown NY- July 28-30-

Then LYRA Race Week- at Rochester YC is immediately following..July 31-Aug 6th- Blend of sprint race, overnight 80-90 NM race and then 3 days of course racing( FRI-SUN)

Check info Here! https://www.facebook.com/events/710735235774691/

Would be great to have 2 events in Lake Ontario on the same trip!

Locals will arrange free housing, dockage and help with transport and hauling for the event.

RYC has their own Travel lift on site.

J-88 North Americans at YYC - Youngstown NY- July 28-30-

Then LYRA Race Week- at Rochester YC is immediately following..July 31-Aug 6th- Blend of sprint race, overnight 80-90 NM race and then 3 days of course racing( FRI-SUN)

Check info Here! https://www.facebook.com/events/710735235774691/

Would be great to have 2 events in Lake Ontario on the same trip!

Locals will arrange free housing, dockage and help with transport and hauling for the event.

RYC has their own Travel lift on site.

So I sent this to Iris ...

LYRA – We can do this!

I have drafted an itinerary, let me know what you think:

Friday, Saturday, Sunday:

CanAm - J88 North Americans

Sunday afternoon:

motor 25nm to Toronto.

Monday:

Centennial Race, 90nm, Toronto to Rochester, then motor 25nm to Sodus Bay.

Tuesday:

Founders Race East, 25mm, Sodus Bay to Rochester

Wednesday:

Freeman Cup: Rochester- Sodus - ODAS - Rochester, 95nm

Thursday:

hitchhike to Yougnstown, get Van and Trailer and drive to Rochester

Friday, Saturday, Sunday:

LYRA Course Races, up to 9 races scheduled

Sunday night:

Haul boat, pack up, and drive to Mamaroneck

Monday:

Launch boat and step rig

Tuesday:

Go back to work ...

We're probably going to need to arrange underway replenishment at some point, something simple, perhaps preprogramed rocket launched parachutes or automated drones can drop-off food and water to our location on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings before each race.

let me think about this.

I think that means "if the J88's get a one-design start we're in."

don't let jesPOSitaco bother you. he only spouts off on others to cover up his shortcomings.

jsmin,

Bill and I go back 30+ years, I am just breaking his balls and stirring shit, all in good fun.

There is no one out on the race course with more integrity that I love sailing against than Bill and Iris.

John

I know this was a touchy subject awhile back in the thread but consider this more of a survey question for J/88 owners. What type of vehicle are people towing their 88's with? We're going to move #28 to Traverse City, Mi from Youngstown, Ny in a few weeks and just need to know how big of a rig to line up.

I know this was a touchy subject awhile back in the thread but consider this more of a survey question for J/88 owners. What type of vehicle are people towing their 88's with? We're going to move #28 to Traverse City, Mi from Youngstown, Ny in a few weeks and just need to know how big of a rig to line up.

We've been using a GM 2500 Savana to tow Deviation up and down the east coast with no issues.

We've been using a GM 2500 Savana to tow Deviation up and down the east coast with no issues.

Bill - Any chance Deviation can get to Newport 11-13 August for the New England J/Fest regatta? I saw Iris at St. Pete YC a couple weeks back at the NOOD to do some arm twisting for this event.

This J/88 was towed thousands of miles several times (once in a winter storm) with a medium sized SUV, a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. http://www.jboats.com/images/stories/pdf/J88_PerfectBoat.pdf

Bill - Any chance Deviation can get to Newport 11-13 August for the New England J/Fest regatta? I saw Iris at St. Pete YC a couple weeks back at the NOOD to do some arm twisting for this event.

Bill, we've been discussing it and trying to fit it in our August schedule. I really like the idea of the J/Fest regatta format.

Awesome news Bill.. I will talk to Iris at Charleston as well.

Yachtscoring and Website for LYRA are going up soon, so keep an eye out..

I know at least 3 local J-88's are planning to do LYRA.

The UK J88 Fleet has a Class Start and One Design Series for the Warsash Spring Series starting on 12th March. 8 J88s entered. J88 is getting well established in the UK and looking like the 30 ft race boat of choice in the Solent. Looking forward to a great season with our J88 UK Class Championship including Spring Series, Royal Southern YC Regattas, Round the Island, Cowes Week and J Cup in Torbay.

The UK J88 Fleet has a Class Start and One Design Series for the Warsash Spring Series starting on 12th March. 8 J88s entered. J88 is getting well established in the UK and looking like the 30 ft race boat of choice in the Solent. Looking forward to a great season with our J88 UK Class Championship including Spring Series, Royal Southern YC Regattas, Round the Island, Cowes Week and J Cup in Torbay.

Paul this is great.

Regarding the effects of Brexit on the market, J Composites says "the J/88 remain also very active for us, hull 100 will be delivered before the end of the season."

Trying to finalize logistics for Charleston. Wondering where everyone is planning on launching/hauling?

Thanks and see everyone soon.

Hopefully I'm not out of line posting this from the recent natl class, nothing earthshaking anyway.

J/88 Class Association Steering Committee Minutes

Date: 3/7/17 Start: 2:05 p.m. EST Adjourn: 2:25 p.m. EST

Present:

Chris & Julie Howell X

Jeff Johnstone X
Don Finkle for Tim Finkle X
Gary Panariello X
Richard Stearns X
Iris Vogel X

Agenda:

1. Class Office Update
  2. 2017 North American Championship
  3. Annual General Meeting
  4. Other

Description:

1. Class Office Update – Chris reported that 14 people have joined the Class so far (11 full + 3 associates). The directory is online at: https://j8ca.wildapricot.org/directory. We will be opening a bank account this week and then filing for non-profit status.
  2. 2017 North American Championship – This event will be held as part of the CanAm Challenge in Youngstown, NY. Eight boats are currently registered. Iris said that last year’s NAC was run without crew weigh-in (having six people). Others have been asking about this for the 2017 NAC. Chris sees that the Class Rules allow for the Executive Board to designate an event a “national event.” Jeff recapped that last year’s feeling was that we were trying to build participation so the crew weight was waived. Some boats may have started to take advantage of this, but Youngstown, NY in July is likely to be a lighter air regatta. Don said their fleet prefers to forego the weigh-in. The group agreed that, given the venue, we will suspend the crew weigh-in for the 2017 NAC.

Fleet 2 members have also been asking about who can helm the boat. Iris thinks Rules 2.2 and 2.3 are fine the way they are, and the people asking the questions are mostly those who campaign their boats less often. This topic was discussed via e-mail: let’s get boats out sailing and grow the Class.

Iris hears that most people prefer to waive the Rule to carry cushions. Jeff agreed this should be made optional with a Rule change proposal.
  3. Annual General Meeting – This will be a meeting with the current/paid full members.
    Date: Tuesday, May 9 at 1200 EDT
    Officers: Please offer your suggestions to Chris for the positions of President, Secretary/Treasurer, At-Large Member and Chief Measurer. For Officers, we should nominate people who are not in the industry (although those people are perfect as Fleet Representatives). The Constitution requires a 4-week notice of the AGM.
  4. Other – N/A

Julie Howell

Action Items:
--Chris will work with the Committee on an agenda and slate for the AGM.

Next Meeting: Officers on Friday, April 14 at 1100 EDT, AGM on Tuesday, May 9 at 1200 EDT

March J/88 Class Association Steering Committee Minutes

• Meeting lasted for 20 minutes

• Steering Committee consisted of 2 Boat Owners, 3 Dealer/Industry, 2 Non-sailors

• membership shows: 2 full (Current/Paid Owners) on same boat, 1 owner signed up as Associate

• no weigh-in at Youngstown (presumably using Class Rule 6.1)

• discussion over "owner driver" vs "Cat 1 driver" rule tabled in order to grow class

• cushions optional

Unfortunately the AGM isn't on May 6 or 7, where there could conceivably be 5 Boat Owners physically in the same location.

Trying to finalize logistics for Charleston. Wondering where everyone is planning on launching/hauling?

Still working on this detail and will post option(s) when they become available. Jeff

Still working on this detail and will post option(s) when they become available. Jeff

Received email today from Pierside Boatworks, North Charleston. They can only accommodate 7 single point lift boats for CRW. Mast/Launch is Tuesday, April 18th, Haul out Monday, April 24th. 3 boats have already committed. Contact Andy at Pierside 843-554-7775.

Received email today from Pierside Boatworks, North Charleston. They can only accommodate 7 single point lift boats for CRW. Mast/Launch is Tuesday, April 18th, Haul out Monday, April 24th. 3 boats have already committed. Contact Andy at Pierside 843-554-7775.

2 slots remain for launch/haul at Pierside for CRW!

Thanks, Jeff.

I guess Pierside thinks we want to spend 7 days in Charleston for a 3 day regatta.

Thanks, Jeff.

I guess Pierside thinks we want to spend 7 days in Charleston for a 3 day regatta.

Always willing to assist when I can! Not sure of Pierside's time schedule but I did inquire about a Wednesday launch instead of Tuesday. Will post my findings. JP

Thanks, Jeff.

Always willing to assist when I can! Not sure of Pierside's time schedule but I did inquire about a Wednesday launch instead of Tuesday. Will post my findings. JP

Tuesday Launch only...Contracts were emailed out to those who called in their reservation. Bring extra fenders and long bow/stern lines. JP

Hull #89 will be coming to Lake Michigan in May. Thanks SunnyBrook.

I am not the owner, but I expect to spend a fair amount of time on her. We will be doing the can races on Wednesday's with Saint Joseph River Yacht Club. Hoping to get in an offshore or two this season.

We have been racing an Evelyn 32 for last twenty years, so this should be fun. Small jib and asymmetrical!!!

I am not the owner, but I expect to spend a fair amount of time on her. We will be doing the can races on Wednesday's with Saint Joseph River Yacht Club. Hoping to get in an offshore or two this season.

We have been racing an Evelyn 32 for last twenty years, so this should be fun. Small jib and asymmetrical!!!

Congrats neighbor. Silver Arrow II?

Congrats neighbor. Silver Arrow II?

That is one thought. But more likely "Mary D" after his late wife.

Hull #28 is coming to Traverse City next week. A little far from the southern lake Michigan fleet but we hope to join in on the Chicagoland fun soon. Maybe Nood's and Chi Mac after we cut our teeth this summer.

Can a second Spin halyard be added on the 88? Or did the mast have to ordered with a second sheave/box? Not interested in any cutting or drilling to add a second. I'm wondering is you guys can shed some light on it prior to getting the boat back and having a closer look?

Can a second Spin halyard be added on the 88? Or did the mast have to ordered with a second sheave/box? Not interested in any cutting or drilling to add a second. I'm wondering is you guys can shed some light on it prior to getting the boat back and having a closer look?

My 88 mast did come with a 2nd spin halyard hardware. #85

The J/88 I sail on has a second sheave and halyard exit hole in the mast (and replaces the first reef mast base block-deck organizer slot-clutch), but it was an $800 option with the halyard etc. It was an option, may be standard on newer ones. I think J/Boats has changed mast suppliers (Hall USA closed?).