• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
MidPack

J/88

Just a little bit of a plug for a friend organizing a regatta. The Edlu Race is a 32 mile distance race on LIS the weekend after American YC Spring Series in a few weeks time. So far there are 3 J/88s entered in the event and a number that seem interested. The OA has said that they'll give the 88s a One Design start if they can get 5 or more boats entered. Just thought anyone on here might want to talk or think about it.

Yachtscoring site here: https://yachtscoring.com/current_event_entries.cfm?eID=3041

The Edlu is a great race! We have 4 boats signed up now!

Also there are also 7 J88's signed up for AYC!

Just a little bit of a plug for a friend organizing a regatta. The Edlu Race is a 32 mile distance race on LIS the weekend after American YC Spring Series in a few weeks time. So far there are 3 J/88s entered in the event and a number that seem interested. The OA has said that they'll give the 88s a One Design start if they can get 5 or more boats entered. Just thought anyone on here might want to talk or think about it.

Yachtscoring site here: https://yachtscoring.com/current_event_entries.cfm?eID=3041

The Edlu is a great race! We have 4 5 boats signed up now!

Also there are also 7 J88's signed up for AYC!

OA confirmed one-design class for J88's today.

Could use two experienced crew for the race Annapolis to St Michaels this Saturday. Transportation back provided.

Apparently there's a J-Fest Regatta in Toronto the week before the J88 North Americans in Youngstown.  With Quantum LYRA in Rochester, that's potentially three one-design regattas in three consecutive weekends on Western Lake Ontario.

a9408ae5450ba07bfc8142c5ed268893.jpg

J/Fest Great Lakes
Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club, Toronto, Ontario Canada
July 21-23, 2017

I am making up some shorter lower headstay strops if anyone needs them. Also going to attempt to solve the misalignment issues many boats have, but I think all boats have the cross piece glassed in a slightly different orientation.

Also have complete sets of lifelines of 5/32" wire if you need to replace your dyneema prior to NAs. $430 delivered.

Jeff Goff

The lower headstay strop is an interesting component. We had ours changed to a 1" shorter version at BIRW, the old one had a bend in it where it comes through the furler base.

After installing the new one and then tuning the rig, we discovered the new strop was bending in the same way as the old one thereby loosening off the rig. That meant we were chasing the rig tuning for a few days until the strop acquired the requisite bend.

My first time racing a J88, fun boat and met some great people in the fleet at BIRW.

The strop on Deviation had no noticeable bend. It's my theory that the actual attachment bar in each boat is in a slightly different place. We do believe out strop is not exactly centered in the drum and are planning to shim the lower toggle in an attempt to get the furler to work 1/2 decently.

An interesting option maybe for some boats to convert to the Euro setup with no furler and Hank on sails.

Jeff Goff

I just installed one of Jeff's strops on my boat. The old strop did not have a bend, it was just too long. New strop is working great and we can finally get the headstay tune where we want it. As a side benefit, the furler, while still less than ideal, works much better. 

The Mid-January "J" Fest 2018 is posted.

2018_stpyc_jan_jfest.png

From Iris Vogel, J88 Class President:

Announcing the first event of your J88 winter series. [St. Pete NOOD is another one]

We have a deal worked out with Sailor's Wharf in St Pete, they offer storage at $9' per month on the trailer
and a special haul/launch package.  They are located close to St Pete Yacht Club and they provided excellent 
service last year.

Contact Carol Sells (727) 823-1155
csells@sailorswharf.com

Edited by Bill's Sock Puppet
The formatting on this forum is really fucked up. Sorry for all the edits.

Some J/88 cruising. A friend bought a J/88 Mai Tai and sailed her from hamble to Gothenburg (11 days and 865 nautical miles).

That looks like a great trip - I'm assuming that with the inshore course,  and the 81 miles a day average that you day-sailed most of it and were able to 'park up' most nights ?

Looking at adding some wind instruments to #28. Currently we have a prostart and shift but we would like to have wind info for more repeatable trim and tuning. I did some research and I'm kind of leaning towards the B&G Triton 2 Speed/Wind/Depth package. I'm not interested in drilling holes in the boat to mount the displays. Can Triton2 displays be mounted on a simple open back mast mount or does it have to be sealed on the back side? Thoughts?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Garmin? Raymarine?

Looking for the next boat and considering a J88 - can you tell me what breeze the boat needs to get up on a plane and how/why it is faster than a J92S which seems to have pretty much the same length, weight, and SA/D?

On 9/26/2017 at 10:15 PM, piper said:

Looking at adding some wind instruments to #28. Currently we have a prostart and shift but we would like to have wind info for more repeatable trim and tuning. I did some research and I'm kind of leaning towards the B&G Triton 2 Speed/Wind/Depth package. I'm not interested in drilling holes in the boat to mount the displays. Can Triton2 displays be mounted on a simple open back mast mount or does it have to be sealed on the back side? Thoughts?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Garmin? Raymarine?

The Triton 2 displays use standard NMEA 2000 Micro - C connectors which can be sealed watertight.  There is no separate power feed as they are pretty low power and get feed power from the N2K bus.  Use the molded connectors, the rubber o-ring in the connector and put a dab of dielectric grease on the connector end before mating with the display.  The open back mast mounts should work fine.

1 hour ago, DIYC said:

Looking for the next boat and considering a J88 - can you tell me what breeze the boat needs to get up on a plane and how/why it is faster than a J92S which seems to have pretty much the same length, weight, and SA/D?

It's technically a semi-plane and I'm not sure it's a go/no go threshold exactly, and of course highly point-of-sail dependent. Where a OD J/105 needs close to 20 kts to "plane", the J/88 breaks loose closer to 15 kts. The J/88 is over 2700 lbs lighter than a J/105 yet IIRC the OD chute is 96 sqm (J/88) vs 89 sqm (J/105) - dramatic difference off the wind.

I've never sailed on a J/92 or a J/92s so I can't offer a comparison, and I don't have any idea how big the J/92s chute is. As you've referenced planing - "length, weight and SA/D" are good indicators what to expect upwind, but not entirely off the wind.

I crewed some at DIYC many years ago, it was a great club!

18.9 knots in that Swedish video looks like planning to me!  Or is there some Euro conversion factor for knots?

9 hours ago, DIYC said:

There are a few subtle differences, with a full crew of 7 it will get up on the plane in around 18kts of wind sailing vmg angles, 2 up that will be much lower. The 92s dspl/L is higher than the 88s when not taking into account the spinnaker size, the 92s carries around 82sqm and the 88 around 92sqm. The d/L ratio of the 88 is lower than the 92. In typical j boats fashion nothing is drastically diffent between generations but a few small things add up to make the 88 just a bit sweeter to sail