MidPack

J/88

Could use two experienced crew for the race Annapolis to St Michaels this Saturday. Transportation back provided.

Apparently there's a J-Fest Regatta in Toronto the week before the J88 North Americans in Youngstown.  With Quantum LYRA in Rochester, that's potentially three one-design regattas in three consecutive weekends on Western Lake Ontario.

a9408ae5450ba07bfc8142c5ed268893.jpg

J/Fest Great Lakes
Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club, Toronto, Ontario Canada
July 21-23, 2017

I am making up some shorter lower headstay strops if anyone needs them. Also going to attempt to solve the misalignment issues many boats have, but I think all boats have the cross piece glassed in a slightly different orientation.

Also have complete sets of lifelines of 5/32" wire if you need to replace your dyneema prior to NAs. $430 delivered.

Jeff Goff

The lower headstay strop is an interesting component. We had ours changed to a 1" shorter version at BIRW, the old one had a bend in it where it comes through the furler base.

After installing the new one and then tuning the rig, we discovered the new strop was bending in the same way as the old one thereby loosening off the rig. That meant we were chasing the rig tuning for a few days until the strop acquired the requisite bend.

My first time racing a J88, fun boat and met some great people in the fleet at BIRW.

The strop on Deviation had no noticeable bend. It's my theory that the actual attachment bar in each boat is in a slightly different place. We do believe out strop is not exactly centered in the drum and are planning to shim the lower toggle in an attempt to get the furler to work 1/2 decently.

An interesting option maybe for some boats to convert to the Euro setup with no furler and Hank on sails.

Jeff Goff

I just installed one of Jeff's strops on my boat. The old strop did not have a bend, it was just too long. New strop is working great and we can finally get the headstay tune where we want it. As a side benefit, the furler, while still less than ideal, works much better. 

The Mid-January "J" Fest 2018 is posted.

2018_stpyc_jan_jfest.png

From Iris Vogel, J88 Class President:

Announcing the first event of your J88 winter series. [St. Pete NOOD is another one]

We have a deal worked out with Sailor's Wharf in St Pete, they offer storage at $9' per month on the trailer
and a special haul/launch package.  They are located close to St Pete Yacht Club and they provided excellent 
service last year.

Contact Carol Sells (727) 823-1155
csells@sailorswharf.com

Edited by Bill's Sock Puppet
The formatting on this forum is really fucked up. Sorry for all the edits.

Some J/88 cruising. A friend bought a J/88 Mai Tai and sailed her from hamble to Gothenburg (11 days and 865 nautical miles).

That looks like a great trip - I'm assuming that with the inshore course,  and the 81 miles a day average that you day-sailed most of it and were able to 'park up' most nights ?

Hornet finally got out to play (sting). Thanks Tim Ford for the pics.

Textbook perfect day of racing!

J88 9.11.17.jpg

oxford 3.jpg

oxford race 2.jpg

Looking at adding some wind instruments to #28. Currently we have a prostart and shift but we would like to have wind info for more repeatable trim and tuning. I did some research and I'm kind of leaning towards the B&G Triton 2 Speed/Wind/Depth package. I'm not interested in drilling holes in the boat to mount the displays. Can Triton2 displays be mounted on a simple open back mast mount or does it have to be sealed on the back side? Thoughts?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Garmin? Raymarine?

Man, those stiff cold swedish breezes do make for some good sailing footage, Peter. 

Looking for the next boat and considering a J88 - can you tell me what breeze the boat needs to get up on a plane and how/why it is faster than a J92S which seems to have pretty much the same length, weight, and SA/D?

On 9/26/2017 at 10:15 PM, piper said:

Looking at adding some wind instruments to #28. Currently we have a prostart and shift but we would like to have wind info for more repeatable trim and tuning. I did some research and I'm kind of leaning towards the B&G Triton 2 Speed/Wind/Depth package. I'm not interested in drilling holes in the boat to mount the displays. Can Triton2 displays be mounted on a simple open back mast mount or does it have to be sealed on the back side? Thoughts?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Garmin? Raymarine?

The Triton 2 displays use standard NMEA 2000 Micro - C connectors which can be sealed watertight.  There is no separate power feed as they are pretty low power and get feed power from the N2K bus.  Use the molded connectors, the rubber o-ring in the connector and put a dab of dielectric grease on the connector end before mating with the display.  The open back mast mounts should work fine.

1 hour ago, DIYC said:

Looking for the next boat and considering a J88 - can you tell me what breeze the boat needs to get up on a plane and how/why it is faster than a J92S which seems to have pretty much the same length, weight, and SA/D?

It's technically a semi-plane and I'm not sure it's a go/no go threshold exactly, and of course highly point-of-sail dependent. Where a OD J/105 needs close to 20 kts to "plane", the J/88 breaks loose closer to 15 kts. The J/88 is over 2700 lbs lighter than a J/105 yet IIRC the OD chute is 96 sqm (J/88) vs 89 sqm (J/105) - dramatic difference off the wind.

I've never sailed on a J/92 or a J/92s so I can't offer a comparison, and I don't have any idea how big the J/92s chute is. As you've referenced planing - "length, weight and SA/D" are good indicators what to expect upwind, but not entirely off the wind.

I crewed some at DIYC many years ago, it was a great club!

18.9 knots in that Swedish video looks like planning to me!  Or is there some Euro conversion factor for knots?

9 hours ago, DIYC said:

There are a few subtle differences, with a full crew of 7 it will get up on the plane in around 18kts of wind sailing vmg angles, 2 up that will be much lower. The 92s dspl/L is higher than the 88s when not taking into account the spinnaker size, the 92s carries around 82sqm and the 88 around 92sqm. The d/L ratio of the 88 is lower than the 92. In typical j boats fashion nothing is drastically diffent between generations but a few small things add up to make the 88 just a bit sweeter to sail

What we see is in line with JL92S' comments. On our 88, we get 11-12 kts of boat speed with full crew and wind speed in the 18-20 kt range.

1 hour ago, Greyhound37 said:

Picking up a new Triad next month. Any Florida races appropriate for a J88?

from J88 Class President ...

For all who have missed the winter schedule:  Also, see the J88 website for information.

Mid-January J Fest 2018  -  St Petersburg FL -  January 19 - 21, 2018

2018 Helly Hansen NOOD  -  Regatta St. Petersburg  -  St Petersburg FL  February 16 - 18, 2018

2018 Sperry Charleston Race Week  -  North Charleston SC  -  April 12 - 15, 2018

In St Pete, we have a special rate for storage at the Sailor's Wharf

Boat deliveries can be arranged through:  Dan CoughlinJeff Goff,  and Jeff Pawlowski

The most important thing is to enter the regattas and get your housing early, especially in St Pete.

Other upcoming events:  J88 Class party, time and place TBA

See you all on the water,
Iris

Has anyone here with a US built boat experienced any faults with their spreaders? Mainly on the inboard ends. 

Apparently it's a common fault on the UK boats because the masts are inverting downwind and causing the spreaders to fail at the inboard end.

Is that the fault you are referring to?

As much as I like the J88 concept (under 30', inboard, head, asy on sprit, semi-planning) I just cannot justify the price.  If you didn't have the coin for one of these, what would you be sailing?

Honestly I do not understand either why such a price differential between the J/88 and the J/92s (although the latter is not being built anymore). I understand the carbon rig makes some difference, but 50% difference of boat price is hardly justifiable...

On 12/9/2017 at 6:09 AM, DIYC said:

As much as I like the J88 concept (under 30', inboard, head, asy on sprit, semi-planning) I just cannot justify the price.  If you didn't have the coin for one of these, what would you be sailing?

Columbia 30 or 30-2. Gotta say the boat checks all the boxes with some bonus points.

The Lumbo is almost 10 years old now. People thought is looked funny for a Sportboat with the cockpit comings and an inboard engine. Now JBoats are doing the same thing.

Both boats are relatively close in comparison. Check the numbers. SA/Displ are very close.

Same cockpit layout, inboard, Aso/sprit, but the Lumbo is lighter so should hop a plane a bit quicker. You can also stand up inside. Some also have a Southern Spars carbon rig.

You can buy a Lumbo and trick the hell out of it and still pay less than half for a new J88. If class racing is important to you, stay with the J.

If you're just doing PH stuff or offshore, you have options.

Problem with tricking out a Lumbo (or any other older boat) is the resale value is still largely set by the un-tricked out ones...so while it may be half the price of the J, you still have a pretty soft resale price when the time comes...doesn't mean it isn't a viable course of action...just know the "trick out" money is unrecoverable

On 12/12/2017 at 10:04 PM, Furkolkjaaf said:

Honestly I do not understand either why such a price differential between the J/88 and the J/92s (although the latter is not being built anymore). I understand the carbon rig makes some difference, but 50% difference of boat price is hardly justifiable...

The 92s costed around £80-90k on the water  the end of production about 6/7 years ago so in today's money it would be around 100k. An 88 currently is about £130k+ the keel construction on the 88 is more complex using a fin made up of a SS shaft with a fairing around it made of glass and like you say the carbon rig will add costs. When you break it down the two boats are more similar

On 12/12/2017 at 2:04 PM, Furkolkjaaf said:

The problem you have here is that the J 88 is being built currently.  Businesses have ever higher costs.  A new boat represents the costs of doing business TODAY and hopefully a little profit or else why be in business.

A boat built 5-10 yrs ago was priced according to the costs of business 5-10 years ago.  Trust me, it was cheaper then.  In addition, the first owner absorbed that cost when he sold it as most subsequent owners do also.  The large market of used boats further lowers the 'market' price and means the previous owners have absorbed some of the boat's cost/value loss.  You don't want a new boat builder to absorb those costs or they won't be a builder for long.

I get it.  A new boat is outside most folks budgets and even more so when we see other bigger, better, faster boats on the market for less.  Be grateful that there are still some folks willing to pay for the 'new boat smell' AND willing to absorb the depreciation 'costs'.  If you think that a new boat 'should' cost much less, I encourage you to start a boatbuilding business and maybe you'll have ton's of folks beating the path to your doors.

Disclaimer:  I am not a boatbuilder but just a simple business owner who has gotten the opportunity to see the inside of 'real business costs'.  FWIW, I would never be a boatbuilder as the margins are not worth justifying the investment--assuming a profit could be made...

Note from J88 Class President:

Dear J88 Class,

2017 has been an amazing year for the J88 class.  We had more than 10 one design events in Long Island Sound and all over the country:

Key West Race Week, seven boats

Charleston Race Week, five boats

American YC Spring Series, seven boats

Larchmont YC Edlu distance race, five boats

Cedar Point One Design, nine boats

East Coast Championships, BIRW, seven boats

J88 North American Championships Youngstown, twelve boats

YRA LIS Championships RYC, five boats

STC Vineyard Race SYC, four boats

STC Championships RYC, seven boats

American YC Fall Series, nine boats

Congratulations to the winners but most of all to everyone who participated and helped the class to grow.  We will have new boats joining the fleet and a great schedule for 2018, see the website J88class.org for a complete listing of one design events.

There is still time to enter the J Fest in St. Petersburg, FL, on Jan 19-21, St Pete NOOD on February 16-18 and Charleson Race Week April 12-15.  Deviation is also doing the J-Cup in Cowes, England on May 25-27 which should be great fun.

The great thing about a J88 is the travel regattas that you can attend, so if you need help with boat deliveries or logistics, contact me and I will make it happen!

Wishing you and your families all the best for the Holidays and New Year,

Iris Vogel

I'm interested in gently used 88 sails.  If anyone is looking to clear out their basements let me know what you'd want for them?

I'm looking for a a J/88 spinnaker.  Anyone?

I have a handful of gently used 88 sails. 

PM me if interested.

On 20/03/2018 at 1:45 PM, GIT-R-DUN said:

I have a handful of gently used 88 sails. 

PM me if interested.

PM sent.

I am looking for the carbon bow hatch roller for chute take downs. Or the complete kit that Quantum was offering. 

Anyone know where to get this?

Massive respect to the team Blue Flash for entering their J88 into the Race to Alaska!

Funny story really. We did Ensenada, California Offshore Week, and the MAC...so what's left for an offshore oriented J88?  According to my 19 y/o son and his college sailing friends, it's R2AK time. 

Easy right? Just pull the engine, add solar panel and build a pedal drive from scratch. 

Gotta say the pedal drive has been a challenge. Built one.. broke it. Built another.. broke it... the epoxy for version 3.2 is drying now...

Bought some oars yesterday :)

The crazy youth can be followed on instagram here:. 

That is amazing! Good Luck to you all and enjoy the trip!

On another note I had a steel cradle built for my J-88. Bought a trailer so I don't have any use for it now. Free to a good (or bad) home. Located Jabins Annapolis

Some J/88 solo sailing.

We started a new archipelago race, 125 nm solo through all the small islands on the west coast of Sweden. J/88 first to finish. J/111 fastest around the course.

On 6/16/2018 at 4:51 AM, Blur said:

Some J/88 solo sailing.

We started a new archipelago race, 125 nm solo through all the small islands on the west coast of Sweden. J/88 first to finish. J/111 fastest around the course.

What's the autopilot set up?  It didn't look like a tiller unit.

The autopilot they (and another UK J88) use is a bracket bolted directly to the rudder and the pilot ram exits out of the transom trough a watertight gasket. Not sure of the specific hardware used (they all run B&G systems so maybe a triton or h5000 pilot).

Stunning scenery and it’s nice to see Mai Tai enjoying a second life in the far north :) 

I'm interested in finding a used J88 and am in Vancouver Canada. 

Owner of Hull #58 has also decided not to race the NAs in Chicago.  Boat is located in Milwaukee, and can

be delivered to the event.  Great shape, professionally maintained.  PM me if interested.  Thanks.

J-88 Hornet did the Annapolis to Oxford race 9.8

23 knots from the NE decreasing to 15-20

24 boats in A-2 we finished second.

GP-26 was first by 14 minutes. He was hitting 20+knots. We were 12-14 with a max of 16.5 in the gusts.

Great event! Photo is the start hoist and trim going on

hornet oxford race 2018.jpg

The J-88 continues to be an effective PHRF tool. Annapolis YC race to Solomons 1st in A-2 and 5th in fleet of 60 boats. It helps to have downwind conditions and reaching :-) 

4 races, 3 firsts and one second to the Donovan 26 is a downwind 15-23 kts.

Very fun platform

Do any of you J/88 owners have a remedy for putting the main on? I'm getting sick of dropping ball bearings all over the deck. I'd prefer to leave the cars on the mast but that seems problematic as well. I'd probably deposit as many nut/bolts into the harbor as ball bearings. While reading yachtworld write up on Ventus it sounds like they have a solution: " All cars with custom pins for quick removal for the storm trisail". I've thought of a quick pin type solution but I'd be concerned about them coming out as well. Thoughts?

image.png.b868a946146e3367eae88d4b59a81c10.png

4 hours ago, piper said:

Do any of you J/88 owners have a remedy for putting the main on? I'm getting sick of dropping ball bearings all over the deck. I'd prefer to leave the cars on the mast but that seems problematic as well. I'd probably deposit as many nut/bolts into the harbor as ball bearings. While reading yachtworld write up on Ventus it sounds like they have a solution: " All cars with custom pins for quick removal for the storm trisail". I've thought of a quick pin type solution but I'd be concerned about them coming out as well. Thoughts?

image.png.b868a946146e3367eae88d4b59a81c10.png

What type of main track do you have? The French built selden rigs don’t use cars with bearings, only sliders. On our old main with slides we have used drop nose pins for the very top car so we can flake the main flat rather than remove the gaff batten. I imaging drop nose pins could work for the whole sail

7 hours ago, JL92S said:

What type of main track do you have? The French built selden rigs don’t use cars with bearings, only sliders. On our old main with slides we have used drop nose pins for the very top car so we can flake the main flat rather than remove the gaff batten. I imaging drop nose pins could work for the whole sail

US built boats have Harken AA sliders for the main. https://www.harken.com/uploadedimages/CategoryImages/3d6548a0-1441-4cdf-a140-019315975b78.png