MidPack

J/88

yummy... cant wait to sail it!

couldnt find a bigger resolution pictures

From J/Newsletter "...... the J/88 is on-track to launch by late June in time for the masses of sailors that flock to Newport to enjoy the spectacular 4th of July Independence Day celebrations on the water in front of New York YC's Harbour Court and the fireworks display off Fort Adams." Guessing the first boat must be in the water by now - any pictures?

there's been photos on sail net for several days now

Link? I signed on there and searched but couldn't find them.

Pics are up on the jboats website, looks great btw. A smaller J/111 with outboard rudder, very similiar looks. Any idea how many have been sold yet?

http://www.jboats.com/j88

I looked at the sailing pics on the website and all I can say is 'Damn you J/Boats.' It's almost exactly what I'd want in a boat right now (see OP), but I just can't bring myself to shell out that kind of money for a 29-footer. Maybe I'll go to the Newport Show, have too many Dark 'n Stormy's, and go for a test sail and see what happens...

So I'm boatless and getting the itch to own again. If I won the lottery, I'd buy a J/111. The J/70 looks like a blast, but that's just too small and the warden won't deal with a bucket anymore (fair enough). So I need them to morph the two boats into a J/88. Wonder when they will update their offering in the 30-foot range?

The J/92 is pretty long in the tooth, and the 92s was a modest but worthwhile refresh. Want something at least 20 secs/mile faster...J/90 with a head would be fine.

You sure sound like your talking about the Left Coast Dart.

I looked at the sailing pics on the website and all I can say is 'Damn you J/Boats.' It's almost exactly what I'd want in a boat right now (see OP), but I just can't bring myself to shell out that kind of money for a 29-footer. Maybe I'll go to the Newport Show, have too many Dark 'n Stormy's, and go for a test sail and see what happens...

Find a partner. One thing's for sure - if you start another thread like this we'll know you're crying wolf. They built your boat.

By the way, the timing appears to be concept to sailing (and production) in less than a year.

In the interest of full disclosure I love my Viper. I really like the way the boat looks. Very modern, a smaller version of a J111. Hope the performance is there.

The bow pulpit is a bit different, but the lines are pleasing. Looking forward to reading about the sailing impressions.

The Viper Kids should be along shortly to tell us how many more can sleep on a 640 while planing at 3 knots TWS, while gybeslut screams in the background about it not being a sportboat.

The bow pulpit is a bit different, but the lines are pleasing. Looking forward to reading about the sailing impressions.

The Viper Kids should be along shortly to tell us how many more can sleep on a 640 while planing at 3 knots TWS, while gybeslut screams in the background about it not being a sportboat.

Snapper,

Maybe I'm missing it, but what is the bow pulpit different from? J/109 had a vertical U shaped bar across the front due to the above deck furler, J/111 has same U shape in the vertical, likely due to improved clearance of flat furler. J-88 can have vertical U shape with below deck furler....but like I said, I may well have missed your point.

Crash

are those 3Di sails ? (not sure with those horizontal stripes)

Most of the new 3Di have the horizontal tape layout.

bohusracet13-6.jpg

Test sail booked for next week. Full report will follow.

Thx Blur...sure you know this stuff quite well :)

One thing's for sure - if you start another thread like this we'll know you're crying wolf. They built your boat.
They also said they planned to bring it in at (under) $100K, not the $125K base that it's hit the market at FWIW. But it is the boat I was hoping for, I'll give you that...

bohusracet13-6.jpg

Test sail booked for next week. Full report will follow.

Please make a new thread when you file your report!

I've never heard of a sailor saying, "jeez, I wish the motor in this thing were less powerful...."

I have heard, "I wish this motor weighed less..."

I suspect once you've decided on an inboard diesel with a saildrive, this is reasonably as small as you're gonna get...and that smaller lighter inboard units cost more and are less reliable...

I say that having once owned a boat with a BMW 7hp diesel, when I would have gladly paid the weight penalty to have a 12 or 13hp engine...

I've never heard of a sailor saying, "jeez, I wish the motor in this thing were less powerful...."

I suspect once you've decided on an inboard diesel with a saildrive, this is reasonably as small as you're gonna get...and that smaller lighter inboard units cost more and are less reliable...

I say that having once owned a boat with a BMW 7hp diesel, when I would have gladly paid the weight penalty to have a 12 or 13hp engine...

I had that BMW D-7 in my Pearson Flyer. Brutally bad engine. After the 2nd season I tore it out and replaced it with a used Yannmar 2cyl. That was almost 30 years ago and that Yanmar is still in that boat and doing what it is supposed to do.

I had that BMW D-7 in my Pearson Flyer. Brutally bad engine. After the 2nd season I tore it out and replaced it with a used Yannmar 2cyl. That was almost 30 years ago and that Yanmar is still in that boat and doing what it is supposed to do.

Bigger engine means more horsepower > weighs more > using more fuel > need bigger fuel tank > also weighs more > more output hp means larger gearbox/saildrive > also weights more

We've got a 24 year old Yanmar 1GM10 (8 hp), well maintained, runs great (I think that's pretty good on the reliable scale).

I doubt cost has anything to do with this, a strut and shaft would be far simpler, and cheaper to install, service, maintain, and replace than a saildrive, and by some estimates the difference in drag is insignificant.

For a design that is 30 years more advanced than the J29, it seems counterintuitive that it need twice the hp.

Bigger engine means more horsepower > weighs more > using more fuel > need bigger fuel tank > also weighs more > more output hp means larger gearbox/saildrive > also weights more

We've got a 24 year old Yanmar 1GM10 (8 hp), well maintained, runs great (I think that's pretty good on the reliable scale).

I doubt cost has anything to do with this, a strut and shaft would be far simpler, and cheaper to install, service, maintain, and replace than a saildrive, and by some estimates the difference in drag is insignificant.

For a design that is 30 years more advanced than the J29, it seems counterintuitive that it need twice the hp.

Actually it is only 1/2 again more power. With a little googling I find your 24 year old Yanmar weighs 81 kgs. Add in a sail drive for a similar setup to the J/88 and your Yanmar now weighs 104 kgs. (http://www.yanmar.com.au/media/13929/1gm10.pdf). The 12hp (most likely a Volvo D1-13f) weighs 126 kgs with a saildrive (http://outboardengineindo.com/products/New-Volvo-Penta-D1%252d13F-Marine-Diesel.html). I dont know about you, but I will take 50% more power for 21% more weight (48.5 lbs or about 1% of displacement) - and that is weight in the bilge....

MS

12hp? Such a big engine for such a little boat - must be aiming for the Macgregor 26 crowd.

One thing many seem to forget is that today's boats all have more electronic stuff and like to use larger alternators to recharge batteries. The smaller hp engines will not run more than the stock 55 amp alternator. I see that the spec sheet lists the optional 80 amp alternator as standard on the boat.

Most engines burn about 1/3 lb of fuel per HP developed per hour. One can run a larger engine at a lower speed and get the same economy as a smaller engine running flat out. Can you guess which engine will last longer? The sail drive will never go out of alignment or get its shaft bent which is a good thing on a boat that does a lot of traveling down the road on a trailer. The engine mounts can be fairly soft which dampens a lot of vibration. So sail drives are usually quieter. The prop is further forward and often in the turbulence behind the keel which leads to lower drag and a lot less prop walk when backing down. It also leads to lower turbulence on the rudder making it more effective under sail.

Actually it is only 1/2 again more power. With a little googling I find your 24 year old Yanmar weighs 81 kgs. Add in a sail drive for a similar setup to the J/88 and your Yanmar now weighs 104 kgs. (http://www.yanmar.com.au/media/13929/1gm10.pdf). The 12hp (most likely a Volvo D1-13f) weighs 126 kgs with a saildrive (http://outboardengineindo.com/products/New-Volvo-Penta-D1%252d13F-Marine-Diesel.html). I dont know about you, but I will take 50% more power for 21% more weight (48.5 lbs or about 1% of displacement) - and that is weight in the bilge....

MS

The Volvo D1-13f is a two cylinder engine - a lower horsepower engine would probably be a single - I'd take a twin over a single any day.....

MS

The Volvo D1-13f is a two cylinder engine - a lower horsepower engine would probably be a single - I'd take a twin over a single any day.....

Glad you've all been able to justify carrying around extra weight.

Boat will still motor at hull speed: 6.9 kts in flat water, in 4 foot chop and 20 kt headwind it will be faster to sail anyway.

Class rules out yet? Dacron Sails? . . . porcelain head with holding tank?

Any interior cabin pictures to see what is (or isn't) down there. ? I don't get why J/Boats does not seem to be capable of taking a interior photo when they launch a new boat. They did the same thing on a 70 and 111. It's not that hard marketing department!

Jeez, I dunno. 'Cause its hull #1 and they were trying to test sail it and hadn't put the interior completely together yet? The problem with the internet world is everyone wants their little bit of casual information or curiosity need served immediately...

And me just finishing up the rebuild on my J/29

This is really pretty cool, although a outboard dropping through the bottom would have been my 1st choice, then an OB off the back as a second choice, third would be a saildrive!

J/88 Specifications 6-04-13

Construction

• J/88 hull & deck infusion molded with biaxial and unidirectional E-glass fabrics and balsa core in the hull for rugged

durability and Corecell foam core in the deck for light weight. High density core material and additional glass

reinforcements are placed in way of highly loaded hardware and components. All laminates are engineered and built to

required ISO structural standards.

• Molded internal bulkheads and liners finished with gelcoat, bonded and/or tabbed to the hull and/or deck.

• White gelcoat hull with single boot stripe.

• 10 year transferable warranty against osmotic hull blistering, 5 year structural warranty.

• Infused GRP molded structural grid with longitudinal and transverse keel support beams. One large cockpit seat storage

locker.

• Open transom for easy access with lightweight ORC transom safety ladder.

• High strength, inward turning and overlapping hull to deck joint bonded with structural adhesive.

• White gelcoat deck with molded non-skid on horizontal deck surfaces.

• Molded ISO/ORC height foredeck toe-rails on deck.

• Large self-draining cockpit with molded secure helmsman footbraces in cockpit.

• 6.5’ draft low VCG keel with lead ballast featuring molded GRP finish.

Engine, Steering & Systems

• 14hp, two cylinder Yanmar 2YM15 diesel engine with 80amp alternator and Saildrive SD-20 leg.

• Keyless start/stop engine panel and tachometer with alarms and engine hour counter.

• Flexofold geared 2-bladed bronze folding prop.

• Engine throttle control with neutral safety switch.

• Waterlock muffler with exhaust run aft to transom.

• 12 gal fuel tank.

• High aspect transom mounted rudder with custom SS gudgeon hardware.

• Custom molded composite tiller in white gelcoat finish.

• Spinlock EA 1200 adjustable tiller extension with handle.

• Cockpit operated manual bilge pump operable from the helm position plumbed to transom fitting.

Electrical

• One AGM Group 27 battery (option for 2nd battery).

• 12V DC On/Off battery switch.

• 12V DC electrical distribution panel w/ 6 circuit breakers.

• LED Navigation & steaming lights.

• UL approved stranded, tinned copper ABYC color-coded wiring.

• Bonding system to meet ABYC regulations.

• Two swiveling reading lights in main cabin.

• Two red/white dome lights.

• Two DC charging plugs.

• Automatic electric bilge pump and panel switch for manual operation.

Deck Hardware

• Low maintenance stainless grab rails on cabin house (P&S).

• Companionway opening with PVC slider tracks, large gutter drains, molded seahood and sliding cover.

• Acrylic offshore removable drop board with inside/outside lockable hasp.

• SS custom fabricated chain plates for shrouds and backstay terminations.

• Interior flush ventilation hatch mounted on cabin house forward of mast.

• Two fixed cabin side portlights.

• Two aluminum 2-speed 40:1 self-tailing primary winches in cockpit.

Two aluminum 2-speed 30:1 self-tailing secondary winches on cabin top.

• Two 10" Lewmar OneTouch lock-in winch handles.

• Cockpit operated Harken adjustable jib car and 4:1 in-hauler systems to P&S.

• 6:1 Mainsheet system leading to ratchet block and cam mounted on centerline swivel cam base aft of traveler.

• 18:1 mainsheet fine-tune adjuster mounted to swivel base cam forward of traveler.

• Adjustable mainsheet traveler with 4:1 control line and cam cleats P & S.

• Double ended backstay adjuster purchase system leading forward to P & S cam cleats.

• Internal bowsprit launching system to exit aft face of the cabin house to cam cleat.

• Harken underdeck headsail furling system with black foils and control line leading aft on port side to cabin to cam cleat.

• Spinnaker tack line side mounted rope clutch mounted to starboard on cabin side.

• Spinnaker sheet blocks outboard of primary winches on stanchion bases and aft at stern rail.

• Halyard lead blocks mounted at mast base, halyard organizers and double Antal Vcam rope clutches one per side.

• SS stanchions, two SS stern rails at transom corners and custom SS bow rail with 9.5" lower lifeline height.

• SS double lifelines.

• Foredeck and transom mooring cleats.

Spars & Rigging

• Hall Spars carbon fiber mast with double swept spreaders, long masthead crane and mainsail luff track. Deck step design

and SS tabernacle system. Mast finished in satin black with contrasting white bands.

• Boom with internal 8:1 outhaul, mainsheet attachment points, outhaul and single reef sheaves as well as provision for reef

cleat and block at inboard end. Finished in satin black with contrasting white bands.

• Carbon bow sprit with tack ferrule fitting, painted black finish. Bow sprit seal system mounted between sprit bearings.

• Rod headstay, 1 x 19 compacted strand wire side rigging with adjustable open-body turnbuckles, and Dyneema backstay.

• Complete Hall Spars running rigging package.

Interior

• Molded main salon liner with full length settee berths, molded backrests, storage access below, and molded areas for sink

(forward to port) and hinged utility counter (forward to starboard).

• Choice of fabrics for 3" standard main salon cushions.

• Teak and holly synthetic high-wear cabin sole in main cabin.

• Igloo Cooler.

• Fabricated companionway ladder with teak treads.

• Molded V-berth and hull support liner. (Option for V-berth platform & cushions)

• Raritan PH-II marine head with holding tank and deck pump out fitting.

• Bin storage opposite head.

• Molded cockpit support liner surrounding engine and mechanicals with foam insulated engine area.

• Low maintenance painted gelcoat finish on all interior hull & deck surfaces.

• Black anodized aluminum compression post to transfer mast loads to internal hull structure.

Options

• Opening ports on aft end of cabin facing the cockpit.

• Cockpit Dodger with side curtains.

• Black Powder-coated stanchions & rails.

• Wide Opening lifeline gates (P&S).

• V-berth Package with platform, two cushions and one swiveling reading light.

• Comfort Group Package – boom cover with J/88 logo, two cockpit cushions, and 4 padded lifeline covers.

• 110V Shore Power: 30amp shore power cord, deck receptacle, belowdecks breaker, Xantrex battery charger, AC panel,

one 110v outlet, equipment leakage circuit interrupter (ELCI), galvanic isolator.

• Additional AGM Group 27 battery.

NOTICE: Specifications are subject to change prior to delivery due to deletions, additions or revisions in quantities, brand or

design at the sole discretion of J/Boats, Inc. Newport, RI

Concerning the heavy engine, in my 30 foot boat there have been a few times I was really glad I had a 13HP Yanmar (I think its a 2GMF). Each time was because of very heavy seas and bad weather. It will move my boat past 6 knots ion good weather, but my boat displaces about 7,500 pounds. The J/88 is much lighter so the engine probably moves it at hull speed. There have been many more times when I wished I didn't have such a heavy engine, but if the J/88 becomes a one design and everyone has the same engine then it won't be so bad.

I'm disappointed at the price tag. I realize its going to be a well built, well designed, sturdy boat, but $125k seems pretty steep for 29 feet, and that's without sails and electronics. How much more is a J/111, and what do boats comparable to this new J cost? I was thinking if it was about 90k I might not have to wait until the kid is done with college. And law school. And I might still be young enough to really have some fun.

not a big fan of the tripping stays on the stanchions

You mus' be trippin' fool !

Seriously though - while they DO impact clear-space on the dance floor, triangulating the load so the stanchions don't get wobbly after some hard sailing is a GOOD thing. You'll learn to work around them after you kick them 37 times.

Concerning the heavy engine, in my 30 foot boat there have been a few times I was really glad I had a 13HP Yanmar (I think its a 2GMF). Each time was because of very heavy seas and bad weather. It will move my boat past 6 knots ion good weather, but my boat displaces about 7,500 pounds. The J/88 is much lighter so the engine probably moves it at hull speed. There have been many more times when I wished I didn't have such a heavy engine, but if the J/88 becomes a one design and everyone has the same engine then it won't be so bad.

I'm disappointed at the price tag. I realize its going to be a well built, well designed, sturdy boat, but $125k seems pretty steep for 29 feet, and that's without sails and electronics. How much more is a J/111, and what do boats comparable to this new J cost? I was thinking if it was about 90k I might not have to wait until the kid is done with college. And law school. And I might still be young enough to really have some fun.

Well, you could always make one your Goddamn self and then see what it cost you... - I agree, it'd be nice if I could afford one too, but the Andrews 28 was in this same range - about the only way I see to get it significantly lower would be to build them in China - care for a used FT 10 ?

Thanks a lot Peter! Excellent review, esp. taking into account your J-experience which comes in handy here.

You didn't perhaps make a video, did you?

Btw, big fan of Blur and your site, always a good incentive to learn some Swedish. Google translation Swedish > German often gives you funny results...

In newport right now. Going to CCF in the morning then a ride on the 88 in the afternoon!

Mind showing some pics or even VIDEO? Kind of odd, she's been in the water two weeks and no vid as of yet? Is it THAT much a secret weapon?

In newport right now. Going to CCF in the morning then a ride on the 88 in the afternoon!

Mind showing some pics or even VIDEO? Kind of odd, she's been in the water two weeks and no vid as of yet? Is it THAT much a secret weapon?

What's your problem? You got plenty of pics just the other day didn't you?

Here in high-res. http://www.flickr.com/photos/blursailing/sets/72157634589887922/show

I shot some video too, but not enough to make a reasonable production. And that mighty be the reason why J/boats are waiting to get everything right before doing something in a hurry because people on SA are whining... I'm not sure what a video would show you that you can't figure out from the material available.

Curious what you thought of the boat since you were one of the early guys to reserve a hull. Looks great on the water, but wondering about the performance and when she will start planing downwind. Any review you can provide would be great in addition to Blurs existing writeup. Also I guess the size is boarderline for drysailing or a hoist so are owners planning to keep theirs in a slip.

Just looked at my videos... they are OK , wind wasnt very strong... under 10knots.

Curious what you thought of the boat since you were one of the early guys to reserve a hull. Looks great on the water, but wondering about the performance and when she will start planing downwind. Any review you can provide would be great in addition to Blurs existing writeup. Also I guess the size is boarderline for drysailing or a hoist so are owners planning to keep theirs in a slip.

Just looked at my videos... they are OK , wind wasnt very strong... under 10knots.

I wanted to write a piece early next week.... But here goes a small toughts. Keep in mind im french canadian.

I have to say we visited CCF composite in the morning with a certain Jeff Johnstone... We saw a 111 , 88 and 70 hull side by side. Ccf is a very modern facility. I cant say much. But the production is in full swing for all the speedster model.

We were scheduled for a afternoon ride , but there wasnt much wind. Ned from J said we could at least go check the boat out and power the motor up to look for wind.

We arrived at IDA lewis yacht club in Newport .Temperature was 31 degrees celsius ( 87f ). Freaking hot to be honest. So i was hoping we could gt a breeze of some kind but water was like glass. So we got on the taxi ride to the j/88. First thing i said was, is is only 29 feet? Volume of the hull make the boat look longer.

When i stepped foot on it I was impressed by the cockpit. Its large and very functionnal. Its also a very comfortable. The interior is also very functionnal and perfect for a weekend cruise or distance race. The interior was not completely finish to jboats standard like Ned told me , but i was overall very satisfied with it.

So we fired up the engine. Ned spotted a patch of wind. We hoisted the 3di sails and at that moment , the whole area was covered in a 10 knots breeze. I will go more into details on an another post , but upwind i felt the boat was fully powered with just 10 knots. We couldnt get a plane downwind. But we did hit 8 knots on 10 knots of wind. We were told they were able to plane with 15 knots of true wind the last weekend.

I will get more in details with pictures posted. But the boat feel like a 34 footer upwind, and a 25 downwind. I really have the feeling J designed a new winner with the 88.

Came across ur site along with another one of excellent quality by some dude on an advance 36 while doing some surfing for info on an omega 42 .... Sweet boat and great sites ! Txvm

I shot some video too, but not enough to make a reasonable production. And that mighty be the reason why J/boats are waiting to get everything right before doing something in a hurry because people on SA are whining... I'm not sure what a video would show you that you can't figure out from the material available.

Anyone seen ballast or downwind sail area specs yet?

Upwind = 48.8 sqm (525 sqft)

Downwind = 122.5 sqm (1319 sqft)

Class Spinnaker is 96 sqm

I havn't seen the ballast specified but the J/70 is 36% and J/111 is 37.8% so looking at all other numbers where the J/88 end up right between the others, I would guess 36,9% :D

Barborhaulers?? Is that the norm on new race boats?? Dig the boat though. Good stuff.

Mer and I are trying to get on board early tomorrow for an honest SA boat review. I jumped around the other day for a few minutes and we have a small window to check her out tomorrow AM before we leave for home. Looks sexy, lots of clever features, a simple and small package with solid performance and the J/boat feel. Also a nice size underserved by existing designs.

But I'll withhold opinions of sailing until I've actually done it.

Here You go

Ballast: 38.14%

Dimensions

LOA: 29.19 ft 8.90 m LWL: 26.84 ft 8.18 m BEAM: 9.50 ft 2.90 m DRAFT: 6.50 ft 1.98m BALLAST: 1,850 lbs 839 kg DISPLACEMENT: 4,850 lbs 2,200 kg UPWIND SAIL AREA: 439 sq.ft 40.80 m² SPINNAKER AREA: 1022 sq.ft 95m² CE APPROVAL: B ENGINE: 12 hp

Clean , I left a beer somewhere in the cooler ! Grab it !

Ha! Didn't get to sail it, no one at J/Boats available in the tiny window we had.

Why don't you write a review? I trust ya to get it right!

Clean , I left a beer somewhere in the cooler ! Grab it !

Ha! Didn't get to sail it, no one at J/Boats available in the tiny window we had.

Why don't you write a review? I trust ya to get it right!

i will... but goddamnit i engrish is sooood good people would have a good laugh :D.

Thank you very much. So I am guessing the downwind SA/D is about 70 (estimating 240sf main + 1022sf spin). And with the J/70 at 75 and the J/111 at 65, it would make sense. Much fun off the wind! I am going to try to set up a test sail in Newport the week of NIBS in Sept, or in Chicago if they get one this season (I assume not)...

Here You go

Ballast: 38.14%

Dimensions

LOA: 29.19 ft 8.90 m LWL: 26.84 ft 8.18 m BEAM: 9.50 ft 2.90 m DRAFT: 6.50 ft 1.98m BALLAST: 1,850 lbs 839 kg DISPLACEMENT: 4,850 lbs 2,200 kg UPWIND SAIL AREA: 439 sq.ft 40.80 m² SPINNAKER AREA: 1022 sq.ft 95m² CE APPROVAL: B ENGINE: 12 hp

Yeah, Snaggy - just about every 'race' boat for the past 15+ years has run them.

OK It's Shaggy, and I have been stuck in little boats like Santana20's and U20's for the last 15 yrs so this is actually the first time I have noticed, actually that is the first overlaping headsail I have seen on a new boat in a while as well..... It looks like I really really need to go back to Chicago in the summer....... Thanks for the prompt response......

I cuoldn't wrtie like snaggy if I treid...

:D

I, for one, would like to denounce the weak performance of trolls w/r/t the J/88. It just doesn't seem like a J-thread without them.

Knowing LOA (29.19) and LWL (26.84), you can extrapolate from the drawings, it appears to be 30.11 from rudder to stem.

does anybody know the whole length of the yacht, including the rudder?

post-301-0-17485800-1374853553_thumb.jpg

thank you very much

so if i calculated that correctly i have to pull the rudder to 23 Degree if i want to be below 9m (29.5)

the question is can i swivel the rudder so much?

Knowing LOA (29.19) and LWL (26.84), you can extrapolate from the drawings, it appears to be 30.11 from rudder to stem.

does anybody know the whole length of the yacht, including the rudder?

Yes, especially on Racer-Cruisers with sails where stripping the sheet on the jib release is less important because you're using 1/5 the line of a genoa boat.

I expect northsails to be 15-20% more in 3Di

I heard rumor of 3Di main running $8000 +/- :-o