MidPack

J/88

Why typo? Lots of boats with Balsa that are infused. Foam is a good core material but balsa is hugely more durable in compression.

I am also under the impression that balsa is (or was?) easier to shape into sharper compound curves. Is that true? Balsa is also kind of renewable, no?

Why typo? Lots of boats with Balsa that are infused. Foam is a good core material but balsa is hugely more durable in compression.

I am also under the impression that balsa is (or was?) easier to shape into sharper compound curves. Is that true? Balsa is also kind of renewable, no?

Balsa is excellent for strength/weight and bonds easily, especially in the hull where the radius is large. Areas around through-hulls are non-organic material. Most of the deck is Corecell.

Here's some shots from the J/111 build. I believe the J/88 is similar: http://www.blur.se/2012/02/05/hur-man-bygger-en-j111/

Does anyone have any idea of a projected IRC number? Just wondering who early adopters would be playing with before the hoped for OD materialises.

May be no help at all (in which case just ignore it), but FWIW...

You got any numbers for a J122 for that chart? Just wondering what the Plane is?

Assuming I have the specs right...

post-301-0-09069000-1376003631_thumb.jpg

In case you want to update some of the missing blanks....

J/145 downwind SA = 3400 ft². SA/Disp D = 76.7.

MS

Thanks, that's one I'd been unable to find. If I won the lottery, the J/145 would be on my short list...cool boat IMO.

In case you want to update some of the missing blanks....

J/145 downwind SA = 3400 ft². SA/Disp D = 76.7.

MS

Personally I think after owning a J/29 since Nov/84, that this new J/88 is just TITS!

Although I would have made a drop through O/B, and a retracable bulb keel and rudder cassette major considerations

Just got home from my J/88 demo sail in Newport, RI. Well, okay, we finished the demo sail, got beer, and then I came home.

My thanks to Tim Kohl of East Coast Yacht Sales for arranging the ride!

I went with a few of my friends, Joe and Steve O'Connell (of Evolution Sails) who I hope will be making the sails if I buy one. I shot lots of pictures and smuggled a GoPro on to the stern rail, so I'll be posting pics and video tomorrow. The video will take hours to be uploaded and processed by Youtube. I'm just going to post the taw video, which probably ran for 90 minutes or so before the battery ran dead.

I'm not sure what the wind velocity was, probably about 8 knots or so, but light to medium, more to the light end. The main and jib sails were North 3Di and the asym was of course North as well. This boat has the vee birth cushions and optional port facing into the cockpit. I noticed that there is a steaming light installed, so I assume there are also running lights, but I forgot to check.

Even accounting for the light wind, the boat is very easy to sail. We were consistently doing 4.5 knots upwind, which I am actually concerned is a bit slow. I expected to go a bit faster. The instruments were B&G, and maybe they were not calibrated. They were not set to display true wind speed, so take that last bit with a grain of salt. The only mechanical problem we had with the boat was that the traveler car was hanging up, so when a puff came we would release it but it would not move. We could haul it down, but it was definitely stuck. Oh, if anyone cares, the shrouds were standard stainless and the backstay was dynema.

Other than that one problem, it was all good. The boat accelerated quickly coming out of dead spots into the wind, and was extremely responsive to all its controls. When a puff came, easing the traveler quickly flattened the boat and if the boat didn't get as flat as we wanted, a tug of the backstay fixed it. The backstay was a 24:1 cascade and putting it on instantly flattened the main. If the boat slowed upwind, we just came down a bit, put some depth into the main and off we went.

Downwind was easy too. Extending the pole was easy and took no mussel, it slid out easily. The asym popped out of the forward hatch and went up easily. Once that was up, we just furled up the jib on the roller furler. Gybing was easy. I had never sailed an asym before and I was quite pleased with how easy it is. No spin pole to deal with!

The cockpit is just HUGE! All four of us easily fit into it with room to spare. The anti-skid was just right, and the foot rests are positioned perfectly. I was sitting there sailing the boat, and I suddenly realized not just how secure I felt, but also how comfortable it was. The traveler and backstay control lines are positioned so the driver can easily use one hand for the tiller and the other for the traveler and backstay. If there is a mainsail trimmer he or she could easily sit next to the driver and handle those lines. Everything else was accessible from the cockpit, but the roller furler is best brought in from the bow. The jib inhaulers and lead cars are easily adjusted from the cockpit also.

Some in this thread have speculated that the large pad eyes near the primary winches are for cross sheeting. They are not. We did talk about the possibility of doing that, but attaching the block to the pad eyes, even with a tether, would cause the sheets to rub against part of the deck. So the question is, what are the pad eyes for? No one knew.

The price of the huge cockpit, of course, is the tiny amount of space below. There was the small head and vee birth, and a small sink, but not much else. It's certainly okay for a weekend cruise, but i would not want to spend a week cruising on it, unless of course there were hotel rooms involved. There is space available next to the circuit panel to install some more electronics, but not much room. A VHF and small chart plotter would probably fit, and perhaps a Blue Seas boat management system, maybe, but that's probably it. All the space under the cockpit is available for storage, but its just unfinished open space. I suppose some netting and such could be installed to keep stuff from banging around.

I asked what the PHRF rating would be, and mums the word. No answer on that.

I have been offered a tour of the factory, and I'll be doing that in a few weeks. I have to get the kid off to college first.

I'll be asking Tim about the upwind performance, and a bunch of other little things I have on my list. Overall it seems like a great boat. Pics and video to come.

Thanks a lot, looking forward to the pics/vid. I'd heard the PHRF target was 78-80, but the design has changed since that estimate was offered up, so it may not hold true anymore. I hope to test sail the boat in mid-Sept.

Jarcher , youre speed were not right . We had similar wind ( near 10 knots) and the speed on the instrument were at least 6.5 and sometime higher.

I decided to upload 4 clips unedited to youtube. Not very long , but better than nothing!

Jarcher , youre speed were not right . We had similar wind ( near 10 knots) and the speed on the instrument were at least 6.5 and sometime higher.

I decided to upload 4 clips unedited to youtube. Not very long , but better than nothing!

Its possible there was less wind than I thought, so as I said, take that with a grain of salt.

What's the trick to posting video?

Its possible there was less wind than I thought, so as I said, take that with a grain of salt.

just use the share youtube link and voila! automatic embed

just use the share youtube link and voila! automatic embed

Yeah I tried pasting the youtube embed HTML here, but all it did was show the actual HTML, not the video...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gPxdm_SJqiQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There you go. thanks for sharing. I think with little wind like that i would have released the barberhauler completely on the jib.

Strange. I can get the link from YouTube easily enough, but when i post it here, its just a link, not a video window. Oh well, you got it to work, thanks.

Jarcher - can you give us your impression on steering in the lower/ lighter range. Specfiically interested in acceptable level of weather helm or did you find yourself having to drive the boat despite its absence? From your video's, its tough to tell.

Thanks

Jarcher - can you give us your impression on steering in the lower/ lighter range. Specfiically interested in acceptable level of weather helm or did you find yourself having to drive the boat despite its absence? From your video's, its tough to tell.

Thanks

Not Jarcher and I have not driven a J/88, but I have owned three J\Boats ('98 and newer) and the helm was better balanced (with just a touch of weather helm up to moderate breeze) than other makes I have driven. In less than 12 knots steady, the three I owned could be trimmed to steer themselves for long stretches (many seconds, even a few minutes at times) - fingertip control. I suspect the J/88 will have the same what I consider the trademark J/Boats nicely/appropriately balanced helm. FWIW

The other day I copied the url from my youtube tab just from the address bar, not from any field on the page, and I pasted it in to the text, and, unexpectedly, it changed it into an embed... So, I think you are doing too much, rather than not enough. Just get the actual link for the video, and paste it into the post text area, and it should embed...

Thanks

Upwind, there basically was no weather or lee helm most of the time. When we were sailing along nice and flat, we could easily steer with just a pinkey. You'll see that here and there in the video (I don't know exactly where). When the puffs came, the boat would heel, the helm would load ever so slightly with weather helm. We would drop the traveler and, if it was a big puff, put on some back stay. The boat would stand back up, accelerate and the weather helm would vanish. When the wind lightened we just put the bow down, brought the traveler in, deepened the main and off we went, all with the helm remaining balanced.

Downwind with the asym, same deal. I was disappointed the wind was so light because I wanted to see how stable the boat was in heavy air, but in the wind we were in, perfectly balanced helm.

Today, the sales guy (Tim Kohl) told me that the rig had been tuned for heavy air and was much too tight for the conditions we were sailing in. Still, the helm was perfectly balanced, so not even the very slight weather helm many people like. Still, sailing without it was very easy and I'm sure I could get used to it.

I expect that the rig could be tuned to introduce a little weather helm (but I don't know for sure), and I agree that's preferable. I come from my IOR boat, which in a good breeze wants to rip my arm out of its socket.

I hope that helps.

So what are the prices, why the tease? An earlier post gave us Ullman's pricing http://www.ullmansailswestcoast.com/USNBJ88/J88sailsUllmanSails.htm

[Edit] http://www.na.northsails.com/SAILS/ClassSailDevelopment/J88/J88Sails/tabid/41606/Default.aspx

Evidently there's a North J/88 Tuning Guide online too, if you register you can see it...

Just got some prices for sails. Quantum and north.

The north are 3di and the price is less than i expected!

A full outfit of 3di wich includes mainsail , jib and a spinnaker ( its the class legal outfit) is 15k CAD with taxes.

I had price for quantum wich is the same for carbon.

A full outfit of 3di wich includes mainsail , jib and a spinnaker ( its the class legal outfit) is 15k CAD with taxes.

I had price for quantum wich is the same for carbon.

Hm, they are still tweaking the boat here and there, and no class rules are even remotely within sight...

So that's $14,290 in US dollars. How much of that is taxes? Is there a 15% VAT on that?

Has anyone whose done a sea trial, paced the boat against other boats that have well established PHRF numbers?

OOps, I got my conversion backwards... Oh well...

We didn't have any other boats to pace against. However, Steve was looking at the video and he thinks - and I agree - there was less wind than I originally said. He was thinking his boat, an older 30 footer, would have been going a knott slower in those conditions.

The PHRF numbers I heard were similar to a J/105. Boats should be similar speeds upwinnd in most conditions, with the J/88 taking off downwind.

http://www.blur.se/2013/07/12/j88-test-sail/

Thanks

You can induce weather helm with some main trim if you need, but usually it's slower. Pointing mode actually might feel nicer, but for best VMG you better foot off and go for speed.

Some in this thread have speculated that the large pad eyes near the primary winches are for cross sheeting. They are not. We did talk about the possibility of doing that, but attaching the block to the pad eyes, even with a tether, would cause the sheets to rub against part of the deck. So the question is, what are the pad eyes for? No one knew.

I know for a fact (talking to both Jeff and Stu from J/boats who uses them on the J/111 as well) that they are there for cross sheeting. In the kit J/boats provide chafe protection for the coaming. So you could tell your dealer to do their homework :-)

On the J/!11 we've been cross sheeting the chute as well to the windward jib winsch. Great on long shorthanded reaches.

I keep seeing pics of both the 88 and the 111, and thinking that the spin sheet routing looks like it would have too much friction. Is that true, or are the multiple turning blocks OK? I guess time will tell... I have liked one block and to the (windward) winch... Though that does tend to cross the cockpit...

What is the headroom?

From the boat.com review (link in earlier post above), but I'd guess it's less in practical terms.

The cabin is simple and useable, with a forward V-berth and plumbed head forward of a cutout bulkhead. The main cabin area is dominated by two settees; at the forward ends are a small sink to port (whch will likely end up as the default crew catch-all for keys, phones, and anything else that should be tucked away below while sailing). To starboard is a shelf/drawer large enough to lay out a chart book. I was able to walk forward on centerline quite comfortably, but anyone over 5'4″ would describe it as sitting headroom.

Bravo. I got the fall discount. Call your nearest loft or email hugh at the toronto loft. He will direct you to the right guy. Tell him hull 16 owner sent you!

hugh.beaton@northsails.com

I would guess 1.03'ish ;):blink:

That's about what I figured, but just wondered if anyone had seen a number?

If anyone's interested I've now seen a number. 1.039. Punchy....

So it has to beat an A35, First 35, JPK1010 etc etc. Tough gig... and goes upwind about the same speed as a 1/4 tonner that rates sub roughly .900

Wow. Punchy rating for sure.

Where did you get this?

I've seen the cert for the first UK one.

Thinking about it that puts them about level with Salvo, the Corby 33, which is a pretty competitive boat. The 88 should cream them off the breeze, so as long as it's getting near to 7 knots upwind it should be ok I think. Always going to suffer from the "small boat with high rating" issues off the line, but I'd expect them to be reasonably competitive, after all the 111 hasn't been a disaster under IRC.

I don't get it. The PHRF rating for the J/88 for the upcoming J/Fest Southwest is 99. That's closer to J/29 speed than J/105 or J/109 speed. Maybe it isn't the cert. rating, and just a placeholder while the rating gets figured?

So about even in IRC with a J109? No way it will hang upwind so it better have jets off the breeze

Well in comparison it certainly should do...

Thinking about this some more, I think it's probably going to be tough to sail to, but not impossible. Plus this is a rating for what I understand is a stock boat, without any IRC optimising at all.

Crew weight and hiking is going to be much more important than on boats like the 109 for sure, your crew could end up about 1/3 of the all up weight of the boat!

I don't get it. The PHRF rating for the J/88 for the upcoming J/Fest Southwest is 99. That's closer to J/29 speed than J/105 or J/109 speed. Maybe it isn't the cert. rating, and just a placeholder while the rating gets figured?

Update - The 99 is a placeholder while the PHRF cert for PHRF-GB gets filed. I guess we'll know more closer to November 2nd when the race rolls around.

Who set the rating for J/Fest Southwest, the dealer had a hand in it maybe? Obviously any boat builder/dealer (not just J) would want a high gift rating as a provisional so the boat has a better than even chance to win early outings. Crews won't have the boat sorted right out of the box anyway.

Imagine if they deliberately set provisional ratings low, it would help kill any design right out of the box. It has happened in the past with some designs/builders. That doesn't benefit anyone. Provisional ratings for all boats should err on the high side within reason IMO initially. Once there's some actual performance results, an accurate can and should be established like any other design. FWIW...

SOP here in NorCal PHRF. They think anything new with an asso must be an all-carbon ultralight.

They just lowered the rating for the J/80 (OD) from 117 to 111. The J/70 now rates 114 (up from 111). Way to kill new boat sales.

Until it proves itself, I think 99 for the J/88 sounds about right - that's six seconds faster than a J/92 (locally). The ratios for the two boats are very similar.

Imagine if they deliberately set provisional ratings low, it would help kill any design right out of the box. It has happened in the past with some designs/builders. That doesn't benefit anyone. Provisional ratings for all boats should err on the high side within reason IMO.

All-I signed up the J/88 this past weekend because i wanted to take advantage of the free t-shirt offer. Yes even as the dealer, and sponsor I have to sign up just like everyone else to take advantage of the freebies!

The offer was that any boat that signed up for J/Fest before 5pm 9/2 they get additional free t-shirts for their crew. Sweet offer! Plus the shirts look cool-I am biased my wife designed them. As any of you know when you get on the regatta network site and sign up it asks for a rating. I suppose I could of just as well put in zero-but some would have thought that was the real rating!!! <_<

Anyway the right thing to do is to go apply to the PHRF of GB and get a cert. Not sure about it. There has been a trend to over 20 years to give new designs an "aggressive" rating. Like the poster above it doesn't help. The J/111 was given a 36 here. Tied with the lowest in the country. Not sure where it settled out elsewhere but I think 42-45? At the time there were PHRF groups that were going as high as 51 for the J/111. All I want is a fair rating. Not favorable, but certainly not one that penalizes the boat. I've been told to campaign and make the case-but I hate that as well. As anyone that has sailed a new design it can sometimes take a year or two just to get the sails right. Lots of shakeout/learning curve to get a new boat up to speed. Handicapped with an aggressive rating doesn't help the PHRF fleet, the boat, and overall causes a backlash against PHRF.

Anyway-don't get too excited about the 99-but I think the boat will plane earlier then a J/105 but probably not as fast upwind. J/105's rate 78 and J/80's rate 120. J/70's rate 114 (I think). J/92 rates 108. As i write this I should have chosen 105!!! :rolleyes:

Anyway we shall see!!! Has anybody rated the J/88 for PHRF yet?

I've not been here for a while ( so only just saw the question asked of me 12 month ago !)

IRC J/88 - if it's 1.039 that will be tough. A J109 with a #3 only rates about 1.01 and that's how I used to sail my boat and it goes upwind well that way and powers up quickly with the big main. J105's these days are around a similar / slightly lower figure. J92S about 0.985

The J/88 looks like a more sporty and modern 92 which is no bad thing, probably with an inshore/near shore only bias though, slight negative for me as if it's inshore/sporty then why not buy something at 20ft.

As for the 2012 question, why did I think J92 was best all round boat of those I've owned / chartered of M20/M24/SB20/J80/J92/J105/J109 ? It was the best all round boat, fun to sail yet still capable of racing offshore (up to 250 miles certainly), in board engine, you could cruise it a bit. It was at a nice price point versus the fun factor.

Got to tramp around the J/88 at the NIBS today, what a sweet ride. Thanks to all the info J/Boats has put out and the great pics and reviews on this thread, there were no surprises in seeing it in person. No one does layout/ergonomics better than J/Boats that I know of. I was hoping for a test sail after the close today, but the boat was hemmed in. A lot to think about this winter...

Took a break from the show and went for a ride on Aquidneck (schooner) since the breeze was 15-20 knots. About an hour in on a beat, the foresail split in half, whoops! Fortunately there was plenty of wind to keep the boat moving nicely with three sails.

Got to tramp around the J/88 at the NIBS today, what a sweet ride. Thanks to all the info J/Boats has put out and the great pics and reviews on this thread, there were no surprises in seeing it in person. No one does layout/ergonomics better than J/Boats that I know of. I was hoping for a test sail after the close today, but the boat was hemmed in. A lot to think about this winter...

Took a break from the show and went for a ride on Aquidneck (schooner) since the breeze was 15-20 knots. About an hour in on a beat, the foresail split in half, whoops! Fortunately there was plenty of wind to keep the boat moving nicely with three sails.

Good discussion ;-)

While at NIBS, I asked a prominent MA J/Boat dealer/owner if he'd heard an actual rating yet. He hadn't, but he suggested it should be around 90. That seems more reasonable than the 78-80 I heard at Annapolis last Fall. But IIRC they told me 6 J/88s have been built, delivering to various cities/countries, so we should have an actual PHRF cert floating around fairly soon. FWIW...

thanks for the report jarcher

4.5 knots with 8 TWS makes the boat look like a dog ;)

J92S targets show for instance 4.8 knots with 6 TWS....

Apart from Johnson Inc liking drawing new boats, can someone explain to me why the j88 has come into existence when the j92S is a smidgeon bigger and established?

Thanks for sharing: It does show the boat off nicely, a bit like a mini j125 IMHO.

I hear youse are Danish, hope this wasn't a spy mission for a new mini Xp ;-)

Whatever, the boat will be very enjoyable for those who bite and typical of J assy's relatively easy to sail.

While at NIBS, I asked a prominent MA J/Boat dealer/owner if he'd heard an actual rating yet. He hadn't, but he suggested it should be around 90. That seems more reasonable than the 78-80 I heard at Annapolis last Fall. But IIRC they told me 6 J/88s have been built, delivering to various cities/countries, so we should have an actual PHRF cert floating around fairly soon. FWIW...

Yes 6 boats were delivered. 1 is the demo boat , 2 is in Rochester (great lakes?) , 3 is in England as far as i know.

As you know the J/88 will be a little faster overall (+0.5 knots real hull speed) and (semi) plane in less wind. The J/88 has a lower D/L, smidge more WL, lower disp, a higher downwind SA/D and less wetted area it appears. It also has a lifting eye unlike the J/92s, which has appeal for some.

But if that's not what you want, you can save yourself a lot of $ buying a J/92s or a J/92. Not unique to the Johnstone's, same tradeoff between new and used as with every sail boatbuilder or designer...

Apart from Johnson Inc liking drawing new boats, can someone explain to me why the j88 has come into existence when the j92S is a smidgeon bigger and established?

Had a look at the Southampton Boat Show. Young salesman didn't know the rating. Looks very J - well sorted, but not much boat for the money.

I was told at the Newport Boat Show probably around 89. Said they have not raced the boat yet.

thanks for the report jarcher

4.5 knots with 8 TWS makes the boat look like a dog ;)

J92S targets show for instance 4.8 knots with 6 TWS....

>Jarcher , youre speed were not right . We had similar wind ( near 10 knots) and the speed on the instrument were at least 6.5 and sometime higher.

Thanks for sharing: It does show the boat off nicely, a bit like a mini j125 IMHO.

I hear youse are Danish, hope this wasn't a spy mission for a new mini Xp ;-)

Whatever, the boat will be very enjoyable for those who bite and typical of J assy's relatively easy to sail.

DF,

J/92s may be established, but hasn't exactly set any sales records, particularly in the states. Not that there is anything wrong with the 92s...I like it a lot. I think they are refreshing yet again, while trying to capitalize on the success/momentum from the J/111 and J/70...

Crash

Had a look at the Southampton Boat Show. Young salesman didn't know the rating. Looks very J - well sorted, but not much boat for the money.

I was told at the Newport Boat Show probably around 89. Said they have not raced the boat yet.

Better hope they don't use the IRC rating to come up with the PHRF. Sailing even with a class 109 won't happen

In the process of setting up an 88 ride next week in Newport before it is delivered to its owner. Will let you know my impressions. Up to this point, it seems like a fine design with great racing potential. I think Peter Gustafsson's review was really excellent and it encouraged me to make a trip to Newport to see the boat for myself.

Nice! Thanks for putting these out there. Looking forward to the breeze-on kite videos..

The 88 looks like the perfect boat for those who need/want more space and convenience than a J70 but can't afford the J111.

Had a great test sail on the J/88 with Jeff Johnstone on Thursday in Newport. Very fast upwind and terrific acceleration downwind under the A-sail. She is definitely a down scaled version of the J/111, but with the same amount of fun and awesome race potential. Confirmed our deposit after the sail and we are now awaiting our hull number assignment. See Peter Gustafsson’s review of the J/88 in “Blur.se” for more detailed information and excellent photographs.

Am I right in thinking this boat will go to OSR Cat 3?

Can't see a tap or cooker, but they're easy additions.

Anyone got an inventory, doesn't seam to be one in Website

US Sailing, RORC, and ORC are jointly developing a “Universal Measurement Form” (UMF) which includes all measurements required by IRC, ORR, ORC and PHRF. Other rules are encouraged to participate.

The intent of this UMF is that once measured, a boat’s rating can be calculated under any participating rule. RORC and US Sailing envision that eventually all new boats will come with the completed UMF on a Flash Drive.

Any chance of getting the UMF data for the J88 - probably more useful than some random PHRF number.

congrats Op! Keep us informed on your hull number , should be around 30 !

Looks like we're hull number 34!

Anyone know what hull number/ordered they're up to so far? 34?