MidPack

J/88

Quit exaggerating, it's over 29' :rolleyes:

The fact that J-Boats has created a market for a 28' boat 160k all up is just astounding. Good on em'!

The fact that J-Boats has created a market for a 28' boat 160k all up is just astounding. Good on em'!

28 or 29 ... who cares. Try to find a 29 feet sailboat that is fast , simple , got a weekender layout , inboard engine, carbon spar and a great cockpit.

28 or 29 ... who cares. Try to find a 29 feet sailboat that is fast , simple , got a weekender layout , inboard engine, carbon spar and a great cockpit.

They found the niche for sure... Now they can charge whatever they want!

Not going to turn the thread into a conversation about all of the boats I'd buy in that size/speed and what I'd do with the remaining 80K. That's been done before. Apparently a diesel engine is worth about 60K, though?

Have a blast with the boat! In 5 years you'll be able to sell it for close to what you put into it which something most new boat owners can't claim...

Not going to turn the thread into a conversation about all of the boats I'd buy in that size/speed and what I'd do with the remaining 80K. That's been done before. Apparently a diesel engine is worth about 60K, though?

Have a blast with the boat! In 5 years you'll be able to sell it for close to what you put into it which something most new boat owners can't claim...

Yeah , Js do keep their value over time. Look at the J/111 on yachtworld. My father 40.7 has depreciated 50% in 7 years..... but im interested in what other choice of boats you had in mind .

Yeah , Js do keep their value over time. Look at the J/111 on yachtworld. My father 40.7 has depreciated 50% in 7 years..... but im interested in what other choice of boats you had in mind .

A Pogo 30 has everything you want and more for roughly the same cost. There's a wait list though...

http://www.pogostructures.com/en/cruising-sailboats/pogo-30-in-development/

It was a tongue in cheek joke...I like the J/88!

It was a tongue in cheek joke...I like the J/88!

dont worry , i know you like it! i need to send an email to jeff johnstone to see where they at in the the production.

I know thisis a J88 thread but there have been some comparisons to the J92/J92s. I was on the J site today and noticed that the J92s moved form the new boats section to the "Other Boats" section right before my eyes. SOrry if thisis old news and has been covered already.

35 j/88 sold so far. Amazing if you ask me.

what is the wait time from Order to Delivery?

i couldnt tell , i ordered mine 1 month after it was announced. Basically 10 months for order to delivery for me . My guesstimate is 6-8 months now. But they might have some opportunities for people who needs/wants it faster.

I see one is entered in the Sail For Hope in Newport this weekend. The rating is 87.

a sailmaker told me recently "it sails like a J105 upwind and much faster downwind, it's going to be difficult to rate" (not sure sailing like a J105 upwind is a complement)

Since Jboats is selling these like hot cakes already, it might be prudent to sandbag this weekend.

I see one is entered in the Sail For Hope in Newport this weekend. The rating is 87.

a sailmaker told me recently "it sails like a J105 upwind and much faster downwind, it's going to be difficult to rate" (not sure sailing like a J105 upwind is a complement)

Since Jboats is selling these like hot cakes already, it might be prudent to sandbag this weekend.

couldnt said it better , they are careful with the rating.

Why, if it perceived as a dog, it will stymie sales? If I were J boats I would have Jimmy Spithill sailing it this weekend. I have never seen 1 race result change a PHRF rating.

I can't see a 5,000# boat on a 27' WL sailing to an 87 rating. Maybe if it had an Class 40's rig on it, but it doesn't (SA/D is 24).

I hope I'm wrong, but they better sell enough 88's to race OD because it won't have a chance racing handicapped at 87.

I can't see a 5,000# boat on a 27' WL sailing to an 87 rating. Maybe if it had an Class 40's rig on it, but it doesn't (SA/D is 24).

I hope I'm wrong, but they better sell enough 88's to race OD because it won't have a chance racing handicapped at 87.

It should do very well in light-moderate winds club handicap racing, but I'm a little concerned about (handicap) small boat phenomena (getting waterlined when the wind is up etc.) too and it's really hard to know for sure. Note the downwind SA/D, and a comparison to another boat below. It will be interesting to see how the boat does in it's first handicap race outings (if we know what conditions were). No question a tough rating will hurt sales, we've all seen it time and time again...FWIW

post-301-0-41663300-1381499914_thumb.jpg

A rating of 87 sounds damn nice to me for a 30'.

Different boat - but Farr 30 rated 54 WL and 42 random leg. sure we got waterlined some days - but those are the days you bring a handle of rum. We always had fun.

Yep, different boat. Farr 30 is lighter and much more powered-up: D/L of 97 and SA/D of over 29.

Another angle: Would a J/88 want to owe time to a Hobie 33? In a distance/point-to-point race?

Don't misunderstand - I like the boat - but I'd like to see it get a fair rating vs. a hyped rating.

It should do very well in light-moderate winds club handicap racing, but I'm a little concerned about (handicap) small boat phenomena (getting waterlined when the wind is up etc.) too and it's really hard to know for sure. Note the downwind SA/D, and a comparison to another boat below. It will be interesting to see how the boat does in it's first handicap race outings (if we know what conditions were). No question a tough rating will hurt sales, we've all seen it time and time again...FWIW

These are fascinating figures, can someone source where the calculations for Real D/L, Real Hull Speed, and Plane % come from?

Try a Seascape 27. ALL in for around $100K.

Results for the Hamble boat in the winter series look fair to middling for a new launch. Mind you it's going to have to beat a Corby 33 to get the chocolates! Tough ask.

First boat in Hamble. Best looking J/boat ever?

1264022_705085242839713_1492081411_o.jpg

That rudder shows not much design evolution since 1976...

Try a Seascape 27. ALL in for around $100K.

+1 I really like the J/88, but for the money the Seascape 27 is the way to go, IMHO.

Saw hull #5 at the show in Annapolis today (beautiful weather thankfully). Only changes I saw over #1 was black anodized stanchions, pulpit, etc., running rigging tweaked, and two batts. Dealer said it was their stock boat, I had assumed it was ordered for a customer? They said 8 been built and 38 orders so far, building about 3/month working their way up to 1/week. Just a beautiful boat, getting harder to resist, though I'll have to sail one first and see how ratings shake out, I've heard everything from "70's" to 90 (the 99 in Texas was explained earlier). I assume high 80's will be more like it.

Forgot to ask about OD at the show (drat), think I'll start,another thread for that...

Saw hull #5 at the show in Annapolis today (beautiful weather thankfully). Only changes I saw over #1 was black anodized stanchions, pulpit, etc., running rigging tweaked, and two batts. Dealer said it was their stock boat, I had assumed it was ordered for a customer? They said 8 been built and 38 orders so far, building about 3/month working their way up to 1/week. Just a beautiful boat, getting harder to resist, though I'll have to sail one first and see how ratings shake out, I've heard everything from "70's" to 90 (the 99 in Texas was explained earlier). I assume high 80's will be more like it.

Forgot to ask about OD at the show (drat), think I'll start,another thread for that...

The black stanchion and second battery are options. Got any pictures of the tweaked running rigging?

The black stanchion and second battery are options. Got any pictures of the tweaked running rigging?
Just smaller diameters on many lines (IIRC from #1 - and dealer rep seemed to confirm my observation), wilder colors, and the dealer rep said Hall dialed in lengths better. All good changes IMO...

We saw hull no. 1 under the control of a few of Narragansett Bay's finest last weekend at SFH. The boat looked fantastic and sailed quite even with the J33 in 15-20 kts. The 88 was a bit faster down wind (DDW) and we clawed back upwind with a number 3 and a full crew....

...that is until the 88 had 150-140 TWA at the northern tip of Jamestown. That was the very last we saw of her as the 88 took off like someone had shot it out of a cannon. Quite impressive and they looked like they were in control. We had an A sail attached to a pole and the speedo never dropped below 10 (unless we were on our side)...they simply got up and walked away like we were parked.

Great looking boat and the performance looked nice. 84 on Narragansett Bay seems like a pretty fair handicap number for the boat.

We saw hull no. 1 under the control of a few of Narragansett Bay's finest last weekend at SFH. The boat looked fantastic and sailed quite even with the J33 in 15-20 kts. The 88 was a bit faster down wind (DDW) and we clawed back upwind with a number 3 and a full crew....

...that is until the 88 had 150-140 TWA at the northern tip of Jamestown. That was the very last we saw of her as the 88 took off like someone had shot it out of a cannon. Quite impressive and they looked like they were in control. We had an A sail attached to a pole and the speedo never dropped below 10 (unless we were on our side)...they simply got up and walked away like we were parked.

Great looking boat and the performance looked nice. 84 on Narragansett Bay seems like a pretty fair handicap number for the boat.

Skippy said they clocked 17knots and were just picking boats off with ease. Didn't go upwind well but made up for off the breeze. I would say at the 87 rating it will be very competitive on distance races but hard to sail to on W/L's

Results for the Hamble boat in the winter series look fair to middling for a new launch. Mind you it's going to have to beat a Corby 33 to get the chocolates! Tough ask.

Why the Corby ffs? Honestly, we beat them but we never get any credit...

Impressions from the race course are pretty much exactly what I expected. Not that quick upwind, reasonably fast downwind, very tidy looking but going to struggle under IRC, certainly on WW/LW. Which is nothing new for a quick boat.

A fleet of 15 would be awesome though, I get the impression it would be ideally suited to the Solent. A windy Cowes week course would be a lot of fun I suspect!

Skippy said they clocked 17knots and were just picking boats off with ease. Didn't go upwind well but made up for off the breeze. I would say at the 87 rating it will be very competitive on distance races but hard to sail to on W/L's

One of the Annapolis dealer reps told me they hit 18 knots in 20+ knots breeze first time out on the bay there. He also said they had their first J/88 broach after a (self-confessed) really bad jibe. The boat really did look great at the show. Loved the black stanchions etc. I knew it was an option, but I wanted to see them in person.

I woulda got more pics (below hull #5), but blursailing has already given us a very complete set (thanks again).

post-301-0-88759500-1381871106_thumb.jpg

post-301-0-43194600-1381871123_thumb.jpg

!

What boat are you on?

seriously - from a uk perspective, can someone explain what all the love for this this boat is about?

Design - rudder looks like it will be fine if replaced by the heads door. keel looks about 2 feet short. Bulb looks to have been modeled on the end of the discarded cigar the johnstones have been smoking while laughing all the way to the bank. Really - has anyone seen a rudder like that on a (non J) new boat in recent years?

OD - not going to happen for a long long while - as an example the previous J marketing exercise - the J70 - manged 9 at J Cup this year including 4 ringers - (one was even entered with the name 'FOR SALE'!!!)), and currently 4/5 at Hamble Winter Series which is J -Uk's home ground. I reckon its going to be take a while for any J88 OD to happen

IRC - likewise, it just won't happen - just like the 111 it will get spanked under IRC, apart from the odd downwind passage race.

towing - J-uk is currently claiming it can be 'owner trailed' - that's fine if the owner has an artic - it's over 7m and so uk legal limit for towing means a vehicle over 3,500kg, before you even start thinking about GTW, recommended max trailer height of 3.0m ( 1.8m draft, say 1.0m freeboard, 0.5m road clearance = fail) DoT codes of practice for trailers,etc etc etc

Price - am I right in thinking £100k base so OTW = £125k? WTF - for that money you can buy a QT, mumm 30 and, say, X99, kit them all out with sails and get a better seasons sailing from any one of those in virtual OD, passage racing or IRC. For not too much more you could put a bolt 37 in the water.

Sorry, think it's probably an ok 'ish sort of boat, but really don't get it, I'll go play on better boats.

really don't get it

Lot's of people didn't get the J/111 or J/70 either so I guess there's a reason why there's lots of alternatives :) Big difference is that J/boats usually finds the sweet-spot that attract real buyers.

BTW, will go down to Istanbul next weekend to test sail the Bolt 37. Will be cool to compare to our J/111.

!

What boat are you on?

Dur, The one that's beating the Corby.

seriously - from a uk perspective, can someone explain what all the love for this this boat is about?

Design - rudder looks like it will be fine if replaced by the heads door. keel looks about 2 feet short. Bulb looks to have been modeled on the end of the discarded cigar the johnstones have been smoking while laughing all the way to the bank. Really - has anyone seen a rudder like that on a (non J) new boat in recent years?

OD - not going to happen for a long long while - as an example the previous J marketing exercise - the J70 - manged 9 at J Cup this year including 4 ringers - (one was even entered with the name 'FOR SALE'!!!)), and currently 4/5 at Hamble Winter Series which is J -Uk's home ground. I reckon its going to be take a while for any J88 OD to happen

IRC - likewise, it just won't happen - just like the 111 it will get spanked under IRC, apart from the odd downwind passage race.

towing - J-uk is currently claiming it can be 'owner trailed' - that's fine if the owner has an artic - it's over 7m and so uk legal limit for towing means a vehicle over 3,500kg, before you even start thinking about GTW, recommended max trailer height of 3.0m ( 1.8m draft, say 1.0m freeboard, 0.5m road clearance = fail) DoT codes of practice for trailers,etc etc etc

Price - am I right in thinking £100k base so OTW = £125k? WTF - for that money you can buy a QT, mumm 30 and, say, X99, kit them all out with sails and get a better seasons sailing from any one of those in virtual OD, passage racing or IRC. For not too much more you could put a bolt 37 in the water.

Sorry, think it's probably an ok 'ish sort of boat, but really don't get it, I'll go play on better boats.

Put simply, can you think of anything else around at the moment that's likely to get OD in the near future in this size range?

The Solent could really do with a 30ish foot OD, and I can't see any other contenders.

!

What boat are you on?
Dur, the Corby seams to be lieing joint first?

Anyway, point taken, but to be frank saying 'it's going to have to beat an élan 38!' doesn't really have the same ring to it!

I'm a bit lost because you seam to be berating me for not recognising you've got a gift rating versus the 88 and therefore should be expecting to win even if you're shit.

In which case why aren't you outright winning, pull your bloody finger out!

If that's your bag I'll let you run with it.

!

What boat are you on?
Dur, the Corby seams to be lieing joint first?

Anyway, point taken, but to be frank saying 'it's going to have to beat an élan 38!' doesn't really have the same ring to it!

I'm a bit lost because you seam to be berating me for not recognising you've got a gift rating versus the 88 and therefore should be expecting to win even if you're shit.

In which case why aren't you outright winning, pull your bloody finger out!

If that's your bag I'll let you run with it.

Hardly a gift rating... Just confused why you singled out the boat lying second (ok, on countback) as the one it has to beat! Especially as to beat us it needs to start finishing in front of us, even before we start talking about ratings.

Of course we'd be winning outright if we were allowed to sail off our actual rating, rather than having to sail off the bottom of the split. Unlike the 105 for some reason.

Put simply, can you think of anything else around at the moment that's likely to get OD in the near future in this size range?

The Solent could really do with a 30ish foot OD, and I can't see any other contenders.

like the boat but dont consider 160k a contender sorry ...buy a 92 or 92s for less than half the mone?y - there are plenty of them in europe

less so in th US

No I can't, but there's plenty of OD already in the solent, in classes that have bigger events elsewhere that are easier to get to than with an 88 (really, there is navigable water outside the solent!)

I also don't think the 88 will succeed in getting OD going where the 111 & 70 are struggling, despite the marketing. Would you be prepared to sink £125k+ into it?

Why is 30 foot important?

No I can't, but there's plenty of OD already in the solent, in classes that have bigger events elsewhere that are easier to get to than with an 88 (really, there is navigable water outside the solent!)

I also don't think the 88 will succeed in getting OD going where the 111 & 70 are struggling, despite the marketing. Would you be prepared to sink £125k+ into it?

dual purpose. Family and racing.

Because there's currently nothing in between the J80 and the 109 size wise that has sort of frequency of racing. That's quite a big gap. If you want to race OD in something with an inboard and a heads it's a 109 or a Sigma38.

You're right of course, it won't be soon, and it is expensive. But there have been great cheap boats touted as the next OD god knows how many times over the last 10 years or so.

Then everyone just buys a J anyway...

On the rudder- if you can't have a square top, have a square bottom :P

( there was a big thread on spitfire wing tips - the Mark xx had sqaure which were stiffer in the diving turn, while the curved ones gave more lift and better maneurvrability)

We shouldn't drag the nice USA prospective owners of what may well be a great J of the j27 ilk soon into a UK/ EU shit fight... but since Blur in Sweden started it...

This is probably what the J80 should have been. For UK sailors it is a shame that the J80 did not get a large class going with several centres around the place, and since you can sleep on it a bit, they would still be being sailed versus the Cork 1720 which are notable by their absence now!

Cost wise in the USA I would think that 29 feet with a reasonable draught is maybe going to make up a lot for the high asking price per foot, but our Hamble/ Solent pals will tell you that it is not that much of a saving compared to running a used j109 in a marina.

Looking forward to some vid's of her moving though

Same here in the US - you could have a fitted-out J/109 for the same money. It's already taken the depreciation hit so you'd get more back when you sold it.

But it's always this way and J Boats will probably sell a bunch of new 88's.

Same here in the US - you could have a fitted-out J/109 for the same money. It's already taken the depreciation hit so you'd get more back when you sold it.

But it's always this way and J Boats will probably sell a bunch of new 88's.

A local Annapolis dealer rep reported 38 J/88s sold on Monday. After they told me theirs (hull #5) was their "stock" boat (I wasn't expecting that), it made me wonder how many customers have actually ordered J/88s and how many are dealer stock/spec boats? Maybe nothing to my question, just wondered...

I'm sure it will make a great OD in the US.

Does it only have two berths? That is a bit sth-oo-p-hid!

UK / EU owners are more likely to get a j97- if they are J customers from before moving up or down - or Johnstone noobs looking for more IRC results and better cruising IMHO.

It will Go the way of the 92 and 92s. There are now plenty of designs which are cheaper around 26-31 feet with big sail area, and the 88 is not trailer legal anyway

What arr4ws said - mixed use race/cruise with the family, I did that a lot with my J92 (my youngest was 4 when I got the boat, the kids love handing their feet off the open transom when sailing and it makes swimming from the boat easier.

Let's give the UK 88 some time to get up to speed and also as it's a lightweight fast boat capable of planning it's always going to need the right conditions in IRC to do well. A nice light air race or some stronger breeze so it can plane downwind and we'll see some better results. It's only been one weekend but clearly tough as they are behind the J105 in both races. The UK J90 won plenty of races and events.

New vs used pricing always going to make older boats look better and certainly in this market, you can buy my J109 for £120k, 5 years old, lightly used (20 races in 4 seasons), lots of gear (autopilot, heater, etc) and sails and established OD - but it's not a fair comparison. You can buy a nice used J105 for the same money as a new J70.

Does it only have two berths? That is a bit sth-oo-p-hid!

4 - 2 saloon, forepeak V berth. And you could put pipe cots for quarterberths instead of using the cockpit lockers.

J88_Interior3_900px-1528-913-470-80-c.jp

v berth is an option of course. But a worthy investment if you ask me. So you have 4 places (a little tight ) to sleep. Good enough for a small family i would say.

I know there is a lot of love/hate for Jboats , you either totally hate them , or you just love them , there is no in-between.

We have one J88 sold (delivery in December) and we hope to have that at the NMMA show at AT&T Ballpark in January. We have another two on order for spring delivery.

I think this boat hits the sweet spot between the J70 and J111. Inboard, lives in the water, enough room to camp, planes in breeze and will certainly build some nationwide OD racing....MUCH cheaper than the J111 too (much more expensive than the J70 though :-)

Finished behind a Shaw 6.5, a VX One and a Quest 30 - boat for boat and corrected. I don't know what the conditions were...maybe someone here does.

post-301-0-67625000-1382045763_thumb.jpg

post-301-0-23407800-1382045960_thumb.jpg

Mid,

We saw 15 to 25 all day. The top two boats were launched...I mean totally and completely afterburnered the entire class. 1/4 mile after the start they were 100 yards ahead of the fleet. It was quite impressive.

After sailing from Rose Is to Beavertail with the breeze DDW, the 88, j33, j100 and the q30 rounded within a minute if each other. The shaw and the vx were gone. IIRC, skippy had only 5 on the boat so they took some lumps up wind. After we blew a halyard and gave up a lot of distance to them we clawed back and rounded with them at the northern tip of Jamestown. Samba marched upwind...not suprising as tristan is a great sailor and they have been strong since they started sailing that boat. I'm not sure what happened to the 100 but they did not look like they had that many on the boat. I told you what happened when the 88 rounded with us and we set chutes...sayonara.

Makes sense. Though small, in 25 knots of wind, anyone who can keep a Shaw 6.5 or a VX One upright is going to fly. Sounds like the J/88 reached the downwind mark in good company, you included. Cheers...

I'm watching the Hamble results too, but a long way to go in that series.

v berth is an option of course. But a worthy investment if you ask me. So you have 4 places (a little tight ) to sleep. Good enough for a small family i would say.

I know there is a lot of love/hate for Jboats , you either totally hate them , or you just love them , there is no in-between.

I really like J boats by in large, but just don't see that this can do what the J92 and especially J92s could not achieve.

IN the USA though, this could be a good OD - the inboard and kids forepeak for cruising is better than the j80 , all be this with a "dunnhie" which is a bit public.

for those interested in the performance of the j/88, there is one racing in the hamble winter series in the UK. Boat is called jungle drum , and if im right its hull #3. Here is the full entry list for his class.

• IRC 2 - Rating 1.010 to 1.044

Aztec - ARCHAMBAULT A35 - 1.034
  • Salvo - Corby 33 - 1.038
  • Midnight Cowboy - Cork 1720 - 1.023
  • Rum N Cork - Cork 1720 - 1.023
  • NIFTYDRIFTER - DUFOUR 40 PERFORMANCE - 1.023
  • Elaine - Elan 37 - 1.01
  • BRIO - Elan 380 - 1.027
  • Hot Rats - First 35 - 1.013
  • Malaika - GRAND SOLEIL 39 2.40 CR - 1.044
  • Malice - HOd 35 - 1.023
  • Jungle Drum - J/88 - 1.032
  • Journeymaker5 - J105 - 1.01
  • Mostly Harmless - J105 - 1.013
  • Jolly Jellyfish - J122
  • Sunshine - Ker 9m - 1.034

after 6 races , the j/88 is second overall. 6 races to go! Only boat in front is the elan 37.

http://www.hamblewinterseries.com

for those interested in the performance of the j/88, there is one racing in the hamble winter series in the UK. Boat is called jungle drum , and if im right its hull #3. Here is the full entry list for his class.

• IRC 2 - Rating 1.010 to 1.044

Aztec - ARCHAMBAULT A35 - 1.034
  • Salvo - Corby 33 - 1.038
  • Midnight Cowboy - Cork 1720 - 1.023
  • Rum N Cork - Cork 1720 - 1.023
  • NIFTYDRIFTER - DUFOUR 40 PERFORMANCE - 1.023
  • Elaine - Elan 37 - 1.01
  • BRIO - Elan 380 - 1.027
  • Hot Rats - First 35 - 1.013
  • Malaika - GRAND SOLEIL 39 2.40 CR - 1.044
  • Malice - HOd 35 - 1.023
  • Jungle Drum - J/88 - 1.032
  • Journeymaker5 - J105 - 1.01
  • Mostly Harmless - J105 - 1.013
  • Jolly Jellyfish - J122
  • Sunshine - Ker 9m - 1.034
after 6 races , the j/88 is second overall. 6 races to go! Only boat in front is the elan 37.

http://www.hamblewinterseries.com

Good job you mentioned the élan!

its really interesting to see racing results. See if the rating is right and if the boats deliver as well.

Also nice to see that the J/88 finished first in the 6th race of the HWS in winds ranging from 15 to 25 kts.

It's quick downwind. That race had only two shortish beats and had 2 long reaches. They were about 20s ahead at the last mark, then just disappeared on the final reach.

Race 5 they seemed to have a navigational error on the reach, but up to that point were basically even with us (the elan) on what had been a ww/lw course up to then.

Also nice to see that the J/88 finished first in the 6th race of the HWS in winds ranging from 15 to 25 kts.

It's quick downwind. That race had only two shortish beats and had 2 long reaches. They were about 20s ahead at the last mark, then just disappeared on the final reach.

Race 5 they seemed to have a navigational error on the reach, but up to that point were basically even with us (the elan) on what had been a ww/lw course up to then.

So... What do you reckon then? From your view on a competing boat, and give it a season to iron out the bugs and get a bit of tuning in, is it an IRC racer?

So... What do you reckon then? From your view on a competing boat, and give it a season to iron out the bugs and get a bit of tuning in, is it an IRC racer?

Not for top level ww/lw work, no. Unless there is a lot of performance to come (which I doubt given the identity of the current crew) it just doesn't sail upwind like a boat that rates 1.039.

You should bear in mind that the IRC2 fleet this year is really not a very high standard. 1st race yesterday we went to the wrong bottom mark and wound up having to drop and beat back to it. Still finished a minute ahead of the next boat - and we're the slowest rated boat in the class. Second race yesterday, horrid shift on the 1st beat, got stuck under a boat not flying a kite on the run (protest pending...) and didn't bother with the kite on the last downwind. Only the 88 beat us across the line, and we were seconds back at the last upwind mark. Quite frankly, the way we sailed yesterday we'd have been killed in any decent fleet.

Did look a total blast as it came hammering past us downwind in 20 knots of breeze though....

Not for top level ww/lw work, no. Unless there is a lot of performance to come (which I doubt given the identity of the current crew) it just doesn't sail upwind like a boat that rates 1.039.

You should bear in mind that the IRC2 fleet this year is really not a very high standard. 1st race yesterday we went to the wrong bottom mark and wound up having to drop and beat back to it. Still finished a minute ahead of the next boat - and we're the slowest rated boat in the class. Second race yesterday, horrid shift on the 1st beat, got stuck under a boat not flying a kite on the run (protest pending...) and didn't bother with the kite on the last downwind. Only the 88 beat us across the line, and we were seconds back at the last upwind mark. Quite frankly, the way we sailed yesterday we'd have been killed in any decent fleet.

Did look a total blast as it came hammering past us downwind in 20 knots of breeze though....

Fair enough. Right, what's next hopeful option to remove from the '30ish foot IRC competitive yet not 4ksb' list!

From on board yesterday, which is the first time I have raced on board the boat.

The rating now has been endorsed at 1.032, every little helps...

We all know that to excel in IRC, in general terms a heavier boat with more mainstream characteristics is a surer way to silverware.

There are though, plenty of sailors who would rather have a bit more performance and are prepared to take the consequences under IRC.

In yesterday's 18-23 knots I reckon that the upwind speed of the 88 was slightly faster than the HOD, so equivalent to a boat that rates circa 1.020.

Downwind she probably sailed like a boat that rates 1.040 and on a reach a little better than that.

On the first race I screwed up on the Nav which cost us some places.

On the second race we like Elaine massively over stood the windward mark which led to a fifth place rounding, after 2 miles of run we were bow to bow with the leader.

Our top speeds were 17.2 on the run and 16 knots at 120 Twa on the final reach, before we had to drop and fetch to the finish.

There is plenty more to come as we work out how to sail her.

Some like planing others don't, the great thing about IRC racing is that provided the RC mixes it up in terms of wind angles as prescribed by the IRC organisers, then every hound has its day

From on board yesterday, which is the first time I have raced on board the boat.

We all know that to excel in IRC, in general terms a heavier boat with more mainstream characteristics is a surer way to silverware.

There are though, plenty of sailors who would rather have a bit more performance and are prepared to take the consequences under IRC.

In yesterday's 18-23 knots I reckon that the upwind speed of the 88 was slightly faster than the HOD, so equivalent to a boat that rates circa 1.020.

Downwind she probably sailed like a boat that rates 1.040 and on a reach a little better than that.

On the second race we like Elaine massively over stood the windward mark which led to a fifth place rounding, after 2 miles of run we were bow to bow with the leader.

Our top speeds were 17.2 on the run and 16 knots at 120 Twa on the final reach, before we had to drop and fetch to the finish.

Some like planing others don't, the great thing about IRC racing is that provided the RC mixes it up in terms of wind angles as prescribed by the IRC organisers, then every hound has its day

I did wonder if you'd chime in...!

1.032 does seem like a fairer rating to me.

Comment from on board as you came past on the run in the second race was "holy shit, the 88 is launched!". The front 1/3 of the boat was out of the water most of the time. And when you disappeared on the final reach was more "where'd it go?". We think you made at least 1 min 30 of your eventual lead on that leg, which wasn't all that long.

Does it have the same funny looking anvilesque looking "bulb" on the keel like the J-70?

Yup. We call it a "Gumby Foot" keel.

Does it have the same funny looking anvilesque looking "bulb" on the keel like the J-70?

Haven't actually seen it yet, but the Annapolis dealer rep told me it does. Not sure what's funny looking about it though...same keel shape they've been using on most models for several years (J/70 & J/111 below). Low CG without a bulb, what's not to like? I wouldn't want an actual bulb, far too easy to snag something.

SAM_0234.jpg

j111almostdone-1.jpg

Can't argue the results - well done on beating the Corby & 105 this weekend, although you did drop points to the Elan 37.

Guess you've got the speedo on dealer calibration though, as in 20 knots tws a Ker 40 has downhill VMG targets of c.16 knots and sails off IRC rating of 1.195ish, similarly, a Farr 30 targets c.12, IRC c 1.090.....either your speedo's overeading, or your IRC assessment is way, way, way under.....

As for the bulb - well, agricultural is probably a complement, but in fairness is in keeping with the design ethos of the rudder and hull, and consistency has to count for something.

Have any of the U.S. Buyers purchased a trailer yet? Triad or other? Above axle or below?

We bought a Triad trailer for our J/88 007. Ordered several options: ramp launch wheel, keel guides, LCD lights, SST brakes. Attached a couple of pics with the boat on her.

post-3003-0-16346500-1382406566_thumb.jpg

post-3003-0-80678400-1382406582_thumb.jpg

Is that lyc?

Why haven't you called and asked if I would drive it at jfst yet? Monkey has to come, package deal you know.

The big question is... Does it have one of those fancy backstay adjusters that run on suntan lotion?

Have any of the U.S. Buyers purchased a trailer yet? Triad or other? Above axle or below?

We bought a Triad trailer for our J/88 007. Ordered several options: ramp launch wheel, keel guides, LCD lights, SST brakes. Attached a couple of pics with the boat on her.

Is that lyc?

Why haven't you called and asked if I would drive it at jfst yet? Monkey has to come, package deal you know.

The big question is... Does it have one of those fancy backstay adjusters that run on suntan lotion?

Ultra! I thought you were locked into a J/24 for J/Fest? Look forward to seeing you down there!

thanks for the picture. Were getting the same trailer Nice choice on the double waterline , we added the same in black!

I am, but I'll bet I could get that bunch to defect if presented with the right opportunity :-)

Nice looking ride

Is that lyc?

Ultra! I thought you were locked into a J/24 for J/Fest? Look forward to seeing you down there!

I was driving Jungle Drum on Sunday.

We did have a Velocitek on board reading SOG and I can verify the top speed of 17.2 knts & that the B&Gs are correctly calibrated for boat speed.

Wind was gusting to 28knts and I guess we were surfing/planning most of the leg. The boat was very stable on the plane and easy to keep on line; I think with a bit more practice and similar conditions that figure will be exceeded quite easily

Can't argue the results - well done on beating the Corby & 105 this weekend, although you did drop points to the Elan 37.

Guess you've got the speedo on dealer calibration though, as in 20 knots tws a Ker 40 has downhill VMG targets of c.16 knots and sails off IRC rating of 1.195ish, similarly, a Farr 30 targets c.12, IRC c 1.090.....either your speedo's overeading, or your IRC assessment is way, way, way under.....

As for the bulb - well, agricultural is probably a complement, but in fairness is in keeping with the design ethos of the rudder and hull, and consistency has to count for something.

J/88 Specifications 6-04-13

Construction

• J/88 hull & deck infusion molded with biaxial and unidirectional E-glass fabrics and balsa core in the hull for rugged

durability and Corecell foam core in the deck for light weight. High density core material and additional glass

reinforcements are placed in way of highly loaded hardware and components. All laminates are engineered and built to

required ISO structural standards.

• Molded internal bulkheads and liners finished with gelcoat, bonded and/or tabbed to the hull and/or deck.

• White gelcoat hull with single boot stripe.

• 10 year transferable warranty against osmotic hull blistering, 5 year structural warranty.

• Infused GRP molded structural grid with longitudinal and transverse keel support beams. One large cockpit seat storage

locker.

• Open transom for easy access with lightweight ORC transom safety ladder.

• High strength, inward turning and overlapping hull to deck joint bonded with structural adhesive.

• White gelcoat deck with molded non-skid on horizontal deck surfaces.

• Molded ISO/ORC height foredeck toe-rails on deck.

• Large self-draining cockpit with molded secure helmsman footbraces in cockpit.

• 6.5’ draft low VCG keel with lead ballast featuring molded GRP finish.

Engine, Steering & Systems

• 14hp, two cylinder Yanmar 2YM15 diesel engine with 80amp alternator and Saildrive SD-20 leg.

• Keyless start/stop engine panel and tachometer with alarms and engine hour counter.

• Flexofold geared 2-bladed bronze folding prop.

• Engine throttle control with neutral safety switch.

• Waterlock muffler with exhaust run aft to transom.

• 12 gal fuel tank.

• High aspect transom mounted rudder with custom SS gudgeon hardware.

• Custom molded composite tiller in white gelcoat finish.

• Spinlock EA 1200 adjustable tiller extension with handle.

• Cockpit operated manual bilge pump operable from the helm position plumbed to transom fitting.

Electrical

• One AGM Group 27 battery (option for 2nd battery).

• 12V DC On/Off battery switch.

• 12V DC electrical distribution panel w/ 6 circuit breakers.

• LED Navigation & steaming lights.

• UL approved stranded, tinned copper ABYC color-coded wiring.

• Bonding system to meet ABYC regulations.

• Two swiveling reading lights in main cabin.

• Two red/white dome lights.

• Two DC charging plugs.

• Automatic electric bilge pump and panel switch for manual operation.

Deck Hardware

• Low maintenance stainless grab rails on cabin house (P&S).

• Companionway opening with PVC slider tracks, large gutter drains, molded seahood and sliding cover.

• Acrylic offshore removable drop board with inside/outside lockable hasp.

• SS custom fabricated chain plates for shrouds and backstay terminations.

• Interior flush ventilation hatch mounted on cabin house forward of mast.

• Two fixed cabin side portlights.

• Two aluminum 2-speed 40:1 self-tailing primary winches in cockpit.

Two aluminum 2-speed 30:1 self-tailing secondary winches on cabin top.

• Two 10" Lewmar OneTouch lock-in winch handles.

• Cockpit operated Harken adjustable jib car and 4:1 in-hauler systems to P&S.

• 6:1 Mainsheet system leading to ratchet block and cam mounted on centerline swivel cam base aft of traveler.

• 18:1 mainsheet fine-tune adjuster mounted to swivel base cam forward of traveler.

• Adjustable mainsheet traveler with 4:1 control line and cam cleats P & S.

• Double ended backstay adjuster purchase system leading forward to P & S cam cleats.

• Internal bowsprit launching system to exit aft face of the cabin house to cam cleat.

• Harken underdeck headsail furling system with black foils and control line leading aft on port side to cabin to cam cleat.

• Spinnaker tack line side mounted rope clutch mounted to starboard on cabin side.

• Spinnaker sheet blocks outboard of primary winches on stanchion bases and aft at stern rail.

• Halyard lead blocks mounted at mast base, halyard organizers and double Antal Vcam rope clutches one per side.

• SS stanchions, two SS stern rails at transom corners and custom SS bow rail with 9.5" lower lifeline height.

• SS double lifelines.

• Foredeck and transom mooring cleats.

Spars & Rigging

• Hall Spars carbon fiber mast with double swept spreaders, long masthead crane and mainsail luff track. Deck step design

and SS tabernacle system. Mast finished in satin black with contrasting white bands.

• Boom with internal 8:1 outhaul, mainsheet attachment points, outhaul and single reef sheaves as well as provision for reef

cleat and block at inboard end. Finished in satin black with contrasting white bands.

• Carbon bow sprit with tack ferrule fitting, painted black finish. Bow sprit seal system mounted between sprit bearings.

• Rod headstay, 1 x 19 compacted strand wire side rigging with adjustable open-body turnbuckles, and Dyneema backstay.

• Complete Hall Spars running rigging package.

Interior

• Molded main salon liner with full length settee berths, molded backrests, storage access below, and molded areas for sink

(forward to port) and hinged utility counter (forward to starboard).

• Choice of fabrics for 3" standard main salon cushions.

• Teak and holly synthetic high-wear cabin sole in main cabin.

• Igloo Cooler.

• Fabricated companionway ladder with teak treads.

• Molded V-berth and hull support liner. (Option for V-berth platform & cushions)

• Raritan PH-II marine head with holding tank and deck pump out fitting.

• Bin storage opposite head.

• Molded cockpit support liner surrounding engine and mechanicals with foam insulated engine area.

• Low maintenance painted gelcoat finish on all interior hull & deck surfaces.

• Black anodized aluminum compression post to transfer mast loads to internal hull structure.

Options

• Opening ports on aft end of cabin facing the cockpit.

• Cockpit Dodger with side curtains.

• Black Powder-coated stanchions & rails.

• Wide Opening lifeline gates (P&S).

• V-berth Package with platform, two cushions and one swiveling reading light.

• Comfort Group Package – boom cover with J/88 logo, two cockpit cushions, and 4 padded lifeline covers.

• 110V Shore Power: 30amp shore power cord, deck receptacle, belowdecks breaker, Xantrex battery charger, AC panel,

one 110v outlet, equipment leakage circuit interrupter (ELCI), galvanic isolator.

• Additional AGM Group 27 battery.

NOTICE: Specifications are subject to change prior to delivery due to deletions, additions or revisions in quantities, brand or

design at the sole discretion of J/Boats, Inc. Newport, RI

J/88 Specifications 6-04-13

Construction

• J/88 hull & deck infusion molded with biaxial and unidirectional E-glass fabrics and balsa core in the hull for rugged

durability and Corecell foam core in the deck for light weight. High density core material and additional glass

reinforcements are placed in way of highly loaded hardware and components. All laminates are engineered and built to

required ISO structural standards.

• Molded internal bulkheads and liners finished with gelcoat, bonded and/or tabbed to the hull and/or deck.

• White gelcoat hull with single boot stripe.

• 10 year transferable warranty against osmotic hull blistering, 5 year structural warranty.

• Infused GRP molded structural grid with longitudinal and transverse keel support beams. One large cockpit seat storage

locker.

• Open transom for easy access with lightweight ORC transom safety ladder.

• High strength, inward turning and overlapping hull to deck joint bonded with structural adhesive.

• White gelcoat deck with molded non-skid on horizontal deck surfaces.

• Molded ISO/ORC height foredeck toe-rails on deck.

• Large self-draining cockpit with molded secure helmsman footbraces in cockpit.

• 6.5’ draft low VCG keel with lead ballast featuring molded GRP finish.

Engine, Steering & Systems

• 14hp, two cylinder Yanmar 2YM15 diesel engine with 80amp alternator and Saildrive SD-20 leg.

• Keyless start/stop engine panel and tachometer with alarms and engine hour counter.

• Flexofold geared 2-bladed bronze folding prop.

• Engine throttle control with neutral safety switch.

• Waterlock muffler with exhaust run aft to transom.

• 12 gal fuel tank.

• High aspect transom mounted rudder with custom SS gudgeon hardware.

• Custom molded composite tiller in white gelcoat finish.

• Spinlock EA 1200 adjustable tiller extension with handle.

• Cockpit operated manual bilge pump operable from the helm position plumbed to transom fitting.

Electrical

• One AGM Group 27 battery (option for 2nd battery).

• 12V DC On/Off battery switch.

• 12V DC electrical distribution panel w/ 6 circuit breakers.

• LED Navigation & steaming lights.

• UL approved stranded, tinned copper ABYC color-coded wiring.

• Bonding system to meet ABYC regulations.

• Two swiveling reading lights in main cabin.

• Two red/white dome lights.

• Two DC charging plugs.

• Automatic electric bilge pump and panel switch for manual operation.

Deck Hardware

• Low maintenance stainless grab rails on cabin house (P&S).

• Companionway opening with PVC slider tracks, large gutter drains, molded seahood and sliding cover.

• Acrylic offshore removable drop board with inside/outside lockable hasp.

• SS custom fabricated chain plates for shrouds and backstay terminations.

• Interior flush ventilation hatch mounted on cabin house forward of mast.

• Two fixed cabin side portlights.

• Two aluminum 2-speed 40:1 self-tailing primary winches in cockpit.

Two aluminum 2-speed 30:1 self-tailing secondary winches on cabin top.

• Two 10" Lewmar OneTouch lock-in winch handles.

• Cockpit operated Harken adjustable jib car and 4:1 in-hauler systems to P&S.

• 6:1 Mainsheet system leading to ratchet block and cam mounted on centerline swivel cam base aft of traveler.

• 18:1 mainsheet fine-tune adjuster mounted to swivel base cam forward of traveler.

• Adjustable mainsheet traveler with 4:1 control line and cam cleats P & S.

• Double ended backstay adjuster purchase system leading forward to P & S cam cleats.

• Internal bowsprit launching system to exit aft face of the cabin house to cam cleat.

• Harken underdeck headsail furling system with black foils and control line leading aft on port side to cabin to cam cleat.

• Spinnaker tack line side mounted rope clutch mounted to starboard on cabin side.

• Spinnaker sheet blocks outboard of primary winches on stanchion bases and aft at stern rail.

• Halyard lead blocks mounted at mast base, halyard organizers and double Antal Vcam rope clutches one per side.

• SS stanchions, two SS stern rails at transom corners and custom SS bow rail with 9.5" lower lifeline height.

• SS double lifelines.

• Foredeck and transom mooring cleats.

Spars & Rigging

• Hall Spars carbon fiber mast with double swept spreaders, long masthead crane and mainsail luff track. Deck step design

and SS tabernacle system. Mast finished in satin black with contrasting white bands.

• Boom with internal 8:1 outhaul, mainsheet attachment points, outhaul and single reef sheaves as well as provision for reef

cleat and block at inboard end. Finished in satin black with contrasting white bands.

• Carbon bow sprit with tack ferrule fitting, painted black finish. Bow sprit seal system mounted between sprit bearings.

• Rod headstay, 1 x 19 compacted strand wire side rigging with adjustable open-body turnbuckles, and Dyneema backstay.

• Complete Hall Spars running rigging package.

Interior

• Molded main salon liner with full length settee berths, molded backrests, storage access below, and molded areas for sink

(forward to port) and hinged utility counter (forward to starboard).

• Choice of fabrics for 3" standard main salon cushions.

• Teak and holly synthetic high-wear cabin sole in main cabin.

• Igloo Cooler.

• Fabricated companionway ladder with teak treads.

• Molded V-berth and hull support liner. (Option for V-berth platform & cushions)

• Raritan PH-II marine head with holding tank and deck pump out fitting.

• Bin storage opposite head.

• Molded cockpit support liner surrounding engine and mechanicals with foam insulated engine area.

• Low maintenance painted gelcoat finish on all interior hull & deck surfaces.

• Black anodized aluminum compression post to transfer mast loads to internal hull structure.

Options

• Opening ports on aft end of cabin facing the cockpit.

• Cockpit Dodger with side curtains.

• Black Powder-coated stanchions & rails.

• Wide Opening lifeline gates (P&S).

• V-berth Package with platform, two cushions and one swiveling reading light.

• Comfort Group Package – boom cover with J/88 logo, two cockpit cushions, and 4 padded lifeline covers.

• 110V Shore Power: 30amp shore power cord, deck receptacle, belowdecks breaker, Xantrex battery charger, AC panel,

one 110v outlet, equipment leakage circuit interrupter (ELCI), galvanic isolator.

• Additional AGM Group 27 battery.

NOTICE: Specifications are subject to change prior to delivery due to deletions, additions or revisions in quantities, brand or

design at the sole discretion of J/Boats, Inc. Newport, RI

Just saw new 9.01.13 Spec sheet where rod headstay replaced by 1x19 wire. Also, fuel tank capacity increased to 15 gal.

The headstays are now 1x19 Compact Braid wire which is new speak for Dyform. We found, on Hull #1, that the rod adapter stud and turnbuckle for that size rod did not work with the Unit 0 Furler. Changing the stay to wire allows the swage fitting to fit inside the lower foil allowing for full range of adjustment. The Compact Braid wire should be fairly comparable to the rod we planned on.

This change was made on Hull #1. Every package since then has been the same.

Thanks.

Mark

Mark. Thanks very much for the update. The 88 looks like she's going to be an awesome competitor if the initial Hamble results are any indication.

I was driving Jungle Drum on Sunday.

We did have a Velocitek on board reading SOG and I can verify the top speed of 17.2 knts & that the B&Gs are correctly calibrated for boat speed.

Wind was gusting to 28knts and I guess we were surfing/planning most of the leg. The boat was very stable on the plane and easy to keep on line; I think with a bit more practice and similar conditions that figure will be exceeded quite easily

Okay, I'll drop the attitude, and attempt to be convinced for a moment.

wrt the windspeed, ph suggested 18-23, you're now claiming 28? We (not in your class, but racing) saw a max gust of 20.5 during the two races at the weekend. During the two race times over the weekend, archives from Bramblemet shows a peak of 15.2 knots, Chimet 25, given the geographical locations of those two stations and where we were racing I'd suggest 20.5 is probably not far out. I can't see it now, but seem to recall bramble and chi figures are 5 second averages.

If you're planning is the speedo still in the water?? Flaming mentioned seeing you lit up, bow out - that pretty much fucks with the best calibration of all the numbers.

That aside, was 17.2 SOG on vmg target? What do you reckon your average boatspeed was? What do you reckon you're target bs in 20 knots TWS is?

Can you relate this to a Farr 30 target of 11.94 knots target bs in 20, or even a Melges 32 at 12.9, both more powered up boats.