MidPack

J/88

Curious as to how you liked having the B&G zeus screen and display mounted on the starboard bulkhead with regard to visibility and crew position downwind and upwind. I am considering the same mounting position on our 88 [#34].

My guess is that these cockpit B&G MFDs are going to be hard to read anytime sailing upwind (not exactly in the line of sight of the helm).

I'd rather see the "Opening ports on aft end of cabin" here rather than adjacent to the companionway, and put the instrument displays there instead.

I was referring to the B&G Zeus and single display mounted on the starboard side of the aft end of the cabin on the UK J/88 "Jungle Drum". On the US J/88 [hull #1] the displays mounted on the aft faces of the cockpit seats [port and starboard] were not easy to read when seated at the helm near the traveller position during my demo sail.

Simularly, we have a GPS mounted there on a Soverel 33. The only problem with that location is that people may lean against the buttons (and of course not know how to re-set the screen), the crew will sit in front of the instruments (not realizing that you are looking at them), and they are just out of reach when you are single handing.

88_1.jpg

I see one is entered in the Sail For Hope in Newport this weekend. The rating is 87.

a sailmaker told me recently "it sails like a J105 upwind and much faster downwind, it's going to be difficult to rate" (not sure sailing like a J105 upwind is a complement)

Since Jboats is selling these like hot cakes already, it might be prudent to sandbag this weekend.

well, YRALIS phrf committee is going to have to rate one this spring ............I'm thinking 96.

I was figureing they would do like they did with the J92 rate it even with the j/29. After all Rod alway designs boat like the 92 12 years after the 29 to be as slow, why not 32 years later? ;)

I see one is entered in the Sail For Hope in Newport this weekend. The rating is 87.

a sailmaker told me recently "it sails like a J105 upwind and much faster downwind, it's going to be difficult to rate" (not sure sailing like a J105 upwind is a complement)

Since Jboats is selling these like hot cakes already, it might be prudent to sandbag this weekend.

well, YRALIS phrf committee is going to have to rate one this spring ............I'm thinking 96.

I was figureing they would do like they did with the J92 rate it even with the j/29. After all Rod alway designs boat like the 92 12 years after the 29 to be as slow, why not 32 years later? ;)

The J/88 is an Alan & Rod collaboration. The numbers suggest the J/88 will be slightly faster, though overlapping headsails (J/29 & J/92) or lack thereof (J/92s & J/88) confuse the issue a little upwind. And with comparable spinnaker sizes (85-91 sqm) and the J/88 the lightest (lowest D/L), all indications are it will be faster/quicker to plane off the wind. I'd guess it will be close to a OD J/105 (90+/-), but we'll know for sure within 12 months?

post-301-0-96654300-1382624492_thumb.jpg

Based on those numbers between the boats the J/92 rating at 108 is a complete joke, and the product of bad sailors sailing the boat. So the committee kept giving them time.

It's IRC rating equates to a 96-99. The 29 MHOB IRC rating equates to 113-115, actually right where it's PHRF rating is.

The same goes for the Sov 33, it's IRC rating equates to 89-91.

The J/88 is an Alan & Rod collaboration. The numbers suggest the J/88 will be slightly faster, though overlapping headsails (J/29 & J/92) or lack thereof (J/92s & J/88) confuse the issue a little upwind. And with comparable spinnaker sizes (85-91 sqm) and the J/88 the lightest (lowest D/L), all indications are it will be faster/quicker to plane off the wind. I'd guess it will be close to a OD J/105 (90+/-), but we'll know for sure within 12 months?

Based on those numbers between the boats the J/92 rating at 108 is a complete joke, and the product of bad sailors sailing the boat. So the committee kept giving them time.

It's IRC rating equates to a 96-99. The 29 MHOB IRC rating equates to 113-115, actually right where it's PHRF rating is.

Due to the prevailing wind strength, the variegated water condition, and the general lack of mammatus clouds over Western Long Island Sound, the J29 and the J92 must rate the same. Its simple smoke and mirrors reasoning.

I should have noted I used J/Boats (Rod) published W/L PHRF ratings just to use one source for the ratings shown. But I've heard others suggest 108 for the J/92 is a gift PHRF rating too.

So what are you really estimating for the J/88 PHRF rating?

Is there a sail plan published yet with rig measurements?

edit....

Found one. I would estimate a rating of ~90

I should have noted I used J/Boats (Rod) published W/L PHRF ratings just to use one source for the ratings shown. But I've heard others suggest 108 for the J/92 is a gift PHRF rating too.

Curious as to how you liked having the B&G zeus screen and display mounted on the starboard bulkhead with regard to visibility and crew position downwind and upwind. I am considering the same mounting position on our 88 [#34].

My guess is that these cockpit B&G MFDs are going to be hard to read anytime sailing upwind (not exactly in the line of sight of the helm).

I'd rather see the "Opening ports on aft end of cabin" here rather than adjacent to the companionway, and put the instrument displays there instead.

I was referring to the B&G Zeus and single display mounted on the starboard side of the aft end of the cabin on the UK J/88 "Jungle Drum". On the US J/88 [hull #1] the displays mounted on the aft faces of the cockpit seats [port and starboard] were not easy to read when seated at the helm near the traveller position during my demo sail.

Simularly, we have a GPS mounted there on a Soverel 33. The only problem with that location is that people may lean against the buttons (and of course not know how to re-set the screen), the crew will sit in front of the instruments (not realizing that you are looking at them), and they are just out of reach when you are single handing.

88_1.jpg

What is your electronic system on this one?

I believe Jungle Drum has a B&G system with a Zeus and T41 on the starboard bulkhead and 3 - T41s racked on the mast. I am considering the same system for our 88 but have also considered mounting the Zeus on a companionway swing bracket.

Yeah, until some hacks get there hands on the boat and drive the rating up to 108, like the 92 :o

Is there a sail plan published yet with rig measurements?

edit....

Found one. I would estimate a rating of ~90

John, file an appeal if you have a local problem - oh, and whining about it here does not constitute an appeal.

MP, you're analyzing the hell out of it. Is your order in yet? Hey, it's only $160k - maybe less for you guys back in the colonies.

Done that already, but as you know, it's "The Good Old Boys Club" ;)

Not whining just stating some facts.

John, file an appeal if you have a local problem - oh, and whining about it here does not constitute an appeal.

MP, you're analyzing the hell out of it. Is your order in yet? Hey, it's only $160k - maybe less for you guys back in the colonies.

Not analyzing anything, just trying to contribute constructively to the thread (I started).

Done that already, but as you know, it's "The Good Old Boys Club" ;)

Not whining just stating some facts.

John, file an appeal if you have a local problem - oh, and whining about it here does not constitute an appeal..

Maybe there is some truth to the rumor that Espo and No.6 are teaming up to get an 88 ...

Probably too soon, but has anyone seen or heard anything about polars or VPPs for the J/88?

As an alternative to a companionway swing bracket you can consider a quarter washboard with the instruments on. They are a little vulnerable to crew stepping down into the boat however. I've used these stubby washboards when racing offshore to keep water out of the boat but not wanting to put the full washboard in, they are useful places for mounting things even on the inside face you can put mesh bags etc. In my view putting instruments inside the cockpit is a poor location as the helm has to look down. Mast is obvious place otherwise.

Saw hull #5 at the show in Annapolis today (beautiful weather thankfully). Only changes I saw over #1 was black anodized stanchions, pulpit, etc., running rigging tweaked, and two batts. Dealer said it was their stock boat, I had assumed it was ordered for a customer? They said 8 been built and 38 orders so far, building about 3/month working their way up to 1/week. Just a beautiful boat, getting harder to resist, though I'll have to sail one first and see how ratings shake out, I've heard everything from "70's" to 90 (the 99 in Texas was explained earlier). I assume high 80's will be more like it.

Forgot to ask about OD at the show (drat), think I'll start,another thread for that...

Have on good authority that orders are now over 45, with production slowing on 70s to accommodate 88s.

over 45...

hot damn...

Im glad they are moving the j70s to make space for the 88, cause the factory was jam pack.

over 45...

hot damn...

Im glad they are moving the j70s to make space for the 88, cause the factory was jam pack.

+1. Encouraging!

Not to be a sceptic but tell me about the INSIDE. How far apart are the floors supporting the keel? What kind of grid supports it, etc.?

The floors on my 92 are much closer together than they are on a J/105 for example. I don't sail on a lake . . .

Anybody heard or know about additional sails outside one design for point to point racing? I see quantum offers an A - 3 which fits the slot between an A - 2 and the class jib.

Took the $145k J88 on a demo. Conditions were 10-12 knots off Annapolis with mild Chesapeake Bay chop.

The traveler shares the same design as the J111, which seems to be a less effective means to depower the main. The micro and macro tune are on the centerline of the boat instead moving with the traveler. Dropping the traveler all the way means dropping the boom about half way.

The headsail shares the same below deck roller furler design as the J70. Very nice and very clean. Hiking was better than the J70 since the J88 has two lifelines. Inhaulers were useful carrying over the same design as the J111. Distance races would need more range on the inhaulers to be able to set barber haulers.

Upwind worked well in the chop. Backstay probably needs 48:1 to be effective.

Down wind was like a miracle. Class spinnaker seems to be targeting the east coast averages of 5-15 knots of wind. 10-12 knots of breeze netted 10-12 knots of boat speed and dancing on a plane. Very easy to keep the boat controlled with the large high aspect rudder. We had lots of smiles.

Class spec sail inventory is 3Di main, jib and huge asym. $17k for the package new.

Lots on the options list like radio, instruments, below deck autohelm. A v-berth is a strange option that is also available.

The boat is light enough to dry sail with an appropriately sized crane. Reducing yard costs.

The boat is fast enough to net great down wind rides.

The small inboard high revving diesel will push the boat around 6.5 knots through mild chop.

I really enjoyed it.

Later in the day the boat was hitting 18 knots downwind in heavier conditions.

I will be nice to suggest that you saw poorly calibrated instruments at play - that boat is not sailing at windspeed - ever

Took the $145k J88 on a demo. Conditions were 10-12 knots off Annapolis with mild Chesapeake Bay chop.

The traveler shares the same design as the J111, which seems to be a less effective means to depower the main. The micro and macro tune are on the centerline of the boat instead moving with the traveler. Dropping the traveler all the way means dropping the boom about half way.

The headsail shares the same below deck roller furler design as the J70. Very nice and very clean. Hiking was better than the J70 since the J88 has two lifelines. Inhaulers were useful carrying over the same design as the J111. Distance races would need more range on the inhaulers to be able to set barber haulers.

Upwind worked well in the chop. Backstay probably needs 48:1 to be effective.

Down wind was like a miracle. Class spinnaker seems to be targeting the east coast averages of 5-15 knots of wind. 10-12 knots of breeze netted 10-12 knots of boat speed and dancing on a plane. Very easy to keep the boat controlled with the large high aspect rudder. We had lots of smiles.

Class spec sail inventory is 3Di main, jib and huge asym. $17k for the package new.

Lots on the options list like radio, instruments, below deck autohelm. A v-berth is a strange option that is also available.

The boat is light enough to dry sail with an appropriately sized crane. Reducing yard costs.

The boat is fast enough to net great down wind rides.

The small inboard high revving diesel will push the boat around 6.5 knots through mild chop.

I really enjoyed it.

Later in the day the boat was hitting 18 knots downwind in heavier conditions.

Not to be a sceptic but tell me about the INSIDE. How far apart are the floors supporting the keel? What kind of grid supports it, etc.?

The floors on my 92 are much closer together than they are on a J/105 for example. I don't sail on a lake . . .

Just saw one on a boat show and have to say what I really disliked was the hull/deck joint inside. While I like not having liners etc. that huge gap half filled with glue and then painted over was plain ugly.

why is the V berth a strange option? its perfect if i ever plan to overnight in it with my kids.

I'm guessing he/she means it should be standard, not optional. Charging $2,270 for deck boards, cushions and a light seems high (I'm being kind), everything else underneath is already there on the base boat IIRC...

Its my broker! Jim snair is the one handling everything for my j/88 and will likely see my post. He sold a j/111 in quebec as well.

Top notch broker, great communication and he is quite patient with me ( im asking soooo many questions).

If youre on the east coast or even great lake ( hell north america!)sunnybrooke yacht is your best bet!

But dont dream about hull 16! Its MINE!

why is the V berth a strange option? its perfect if i ever plan to overnight in it with my kids.

I'm guessing he/she means it should be standard, not optional. Charging $2,270 for deck boards, cushions and a light seems high (I'm being kind), everything else underneath is already there on the base boat IIRC...

We should also see it the other way around. Maybe it keeps the base price lower. Not everyone want to use the 88 for ''cruising''

Congrats on your new 88!

thanks! when i go get the boat in Bristol in january , you guys will be flooded with photos/videos

Its my broker! Jim snair is the one handling everything for my j/88 and will likely see my post. He sold a j/111 in quebec as well.

Top notch broker, great communication and he is quite patient with me ( im asking soooo many questions).

If youre on the east coast or even great lake ( hell north america!)sunnybrooke yacht is your best bet!

But dont dream about hull 16! Its MINE!

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing the pics and Video. What were the most compelling reasons you bought the 88 for?

The first 88 Comes to SF Bay early December (Sold) and we will have it at the Jan AT&T Ballpark Boatshow 3rd week of Jan or at my docks next to AT&T at the same time. We'll get a couple of midwinters in on the boat hopefully. Our second boat comes in Feb (still available). I think this boat will fill a big niche with J105 owners looking to downsize their boat/crew and yet still go out and plane around the Bay...especially those 105 owners that can't or won't afford a 111.

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing the pics and Video. What were the most compelling reasons you bought the 88 for?

The first 88 Comes to SF Bay early December (Sold) and we will have it at the Jan AT&T Ballpark Boatshow 3rd week of Jan or at my docks next to AT&T at the same time. We'll get a couple of midwinters in on the boat hopefully. Our second boat comes in Feb (still available). I think this boat will fill a big niche with J105 owners looking to downsize their boat/crew and yet still go out and plane around the Bay...especially those 105 owners that can't or won't afford a 111.

We own (me and my brothers/sister) a melges 24 since 2001. We were looking to move to a bigger boat since maybe 2011. We looked at many 30 feet boat, but wanted a sprit to retain the ease of use of an assym . We even looked at a melges 32 ( not in the same league as the 88). We discarded the melges 32 because the boat has no resale value and is quite scary when you get on one. They are big and MEAN. Also with our small kids , it would not be very useful for weekends.

Well the 88 appeared on my radar with this thread. We were charmed by the look of it , the ease of sailing it ( furling jib like our 24 and assym!). The interior is really a plus with kids! Do not underestimate the power of a porcelain in a boat with the girlfriend! We also liked the j/111 a lot. Since we had some affinity with J ( my father owned a j/130) we decided to put our money down for one.

At this point, we're down to a J/88 or a late model J/100. Or if I'm smart, nothing...

Boats - you can't live with them, you can't live without them (where have I heard that before).

Congrats on your new 88!

thanks! when i go get the boat in Bristol in january , you guys will be flooded with photos/videos

Don't be shy about sharing those images.

Its a $2500 rarely used bed. If you like it then have at it. For me, its more expensive then by bed at home!

During racing the vberth would probably be taken out to save on bow weight.

Exactly, and between the sprit and the kite it's always wet up there anyway. I took the whole works out 11 years ago and just use the settees. I did use one of the v-berth cushions to sleep in the quarter once (when we needed to sleep three).

The v-berth area on a boat like this is for brochures and boat shows.

V-berth may help with re-sale value-- hard to retro fit if not included

Why would it be hard to retrofit? The laminate boards on top, cushions and reading light could easily be had - and for far less than $2,270 I suspect. Everything else is already there unless I'm mistaken, here's a J/100 "without" pic below.

Again my issue, and it's minor, is not that it's an option - but that the price seems very high since all the structure is already there in the base boat..

post-301-0-01521900-1383942320_thumb.jpg

I didn't realize the J/88 was competing against much larger boats at J/Fest Southwest. Given that they did very well, though I'd never bet against the J/88 skipper. It appears they had the J/88 dialed in for the last three races (or conditions were better?)...

post-301-0-82523900-1383946250_thumb.jpg

Needless to say I looked at the corrected time deltas between the J/92 and the J/88. The J/92 corrected out by 1:09, 1:38, 3:39 and 1:33 over a 6.8 nm course.

Sunday's races were a different course (6.0 nm) and the 88 took those (one race by ten seconds). Does anyone know if those two races had more reaching (or more wind, or ?) Maybe they made some tuning changes?

I didn't realize the J/88 was competing against much larger boats at J/Fest Southwest. Given that they did very well, though I'd never bet against the J/88 skipper. It appears they had the J/88 dialed in for the last three races (or conditions were better?)...

Needless to say I looked at the corrected time deltas between the J/92 and the J/88. The J/92 corrected out by 1:09, 1:38, 3:39 and 1:33 over a 6.8 nm course.

Sunday's races were a different course (6.0 nm) and the 88 took those (one race by ten seconds). Does anyone know if those two races had more reaching (or more wind, or ?) Maybe they made some tuning changes?

Saturday's breeze was 20-25 kts and cold out of the north, with 2-3' chop and an occasional 4' roller. I heard the 88 blew out their kite on the first downwind of the first race. Half the class were running wing-on-wing without their kites and finishing even with the boats wiping out under their kites. Probably not a good indicator of inter-boat performance.

Sunday was clear with 15-18 kts out of the east, lesser seas. All boats using kites. A better day of boat comparison. The 88 was flying, like they found the overdrive missing from the day before. Even their upwind legs were faster.

All races W/L with consistent breeze which kept the course fairly square.

The 92 had an excellent crew, some cat3 that often sail together. The 88 also had sail maker on board. The 109s and 120 all have good crew though I think mostly weekend warriors (including yours truly).

The 88 was also sailing "exhibition" as they don't have an official PHRF rating for the boat yet. 87 was the recommended rating by Rod / JBoats. The 109s were supposed to have their own class, until one lost their mast two weeks prior, therefore the mixed fleet.

JFest is always good fun.

Like I said in a earlier post, the hacks sailing the boat will drive the rating up like they did with the 92, and all the boat will be is another 29 foot J boat that rates even with the J29.

Except like the 92 which was designed 12 years after the 29 this will be 33 years later. ;)

Gotta say that's a pretty competitive fleet. Rebecca and Hamburg are no-joke teams and Rod is a no-joke sailor.

The owner of the X-34 you sail on should get one.

You guys could be some of the hacks to drive the rating up around 108 :P

Why are boats 'arriving' in 2013 being called 2014?

Clever marketing? Or dishonest assholes?

You mean like the (former) big three automakers and other consumer industries have done for generations?

Hadn't noticed this (unfortunate) design choice on the J/88 until just now (pic). Where the bow pulpit was uncluttered on the J/105, J/100, J/80 and countless other J's - with small dome lights underneath on deck, the exposed backs and braces for the J/88 bow lights look like another unnecessary place to catch a chute on hoist and douse. A small thing, but I wonder why they opted for the clutter and another place to snag a chute.

Never noticed before but they did the same with the J/111, though at least those lights appear to be aft on the bow pulpit and not right up by the opening where the chute will pass through.

post-301-0-58832900-1384010148_thumb.jpg

If you feed the kite through that hole you'll have a CF of monumental proportions.

Nav lights have to be above deck level per current offshore requirements, so it's there or a masthead tricolor. Besides, those little round jobbers on deck don't hold up too well in my experience.

I don't like the sharp corner at the bottom - a flap of the chute could catch on it - but *most* of the time it should be okay. It could have been done better.

If you feed the kite through that hole you'll have a CF of monumental proportions.

Nav lights have to be above deck level per current offshore requirements, so it's there or a masthead tricolor. Besides, those little round jobbers on deck don't hold up too well in my experience.

Nah, the lights are on the inside of the curve - I agree it's a bit clunky looking but they'll be fine.

"Through the hole" really? You know better...

The chute tack usually runs through the front "U" in the pulpit (that's why it's been on J/sprit boats since 1992 as you know) and may get dragged back through there when releasing the tack line after a douse, especially after a Mexican. Having the lights with exposed backs and separate braces right up by the "U" like the J/88 are just another place to snag a chute. I'd certainly want to cover it all somehow to prevent a tear, but it wouldn't be as easy as taping up lifeline turnbuckles.

I didn't know about the above deck level change, I suspected as much and should have researched before I posted - my bad. I still think the J/111 J/122 design (aft on the pulpit without braces) makes more sense, but there's may be a reason the J/88 lights are forward.

Sailed on several J111's without issue with a pulpit that is pretty similar. Must have set 50+ times in winds from 5-35. I will keep an eye on the J88 thought. Those braces do look a little sketchy.

Hadn't noticed this (unfortunate) design choice on the J/88 until just now (pic). Where the bow pulpit was uncluttered on the J/105, J/100, J/80 and countless other J's - with small dome lights underneath on deck, the exposed backs and braces for the J/88 bow lights look like another unnecessary place to catch a chute on hoist and douse. A small thing, but I wonder why they opted for the clutter and another place to snag a chute.

Never noticed before but they did the same with the J/111, though at least those lights appear to be aft on the bow pulpit and not right up by the opening where the chute will pass through.

Gotta say that's a pretty competitive fleet. Rebecca and Hamburg are no-joke teams and Rod is a no-joke sailor.

Rumor is there's a "hack" in our area who just bought into one. Will have to see how they do with it.

Nah, the lights are on the inside of the curve - I agree it's a bit clunky looking but they'll be fine.

Of course I know better. From your comment it sounded like you didn't: "right up by the opening where the chute will pass through"

Of course I know better. From your comment it sounded like you didn't: "right up by the opening where the chute will pass through"

So what's the U for then.

Spoiler alert!: this is a rhetorical question, everyone on this earth knows it's for the spinnaker!

Part of the problem is the angle of the lights needs to be properly aligned, since the boat is rather beamy the sidelights need to be bracketed inboard, more so than on a narrower bow. Moving the lights to the after corner of the bow pulpit would only transfer the problem further aft.

One solution would be to flare out the bow pulpit such that the lights could be flush with the bow pulpit, I doubt that would be esthetically pleasing.

Another solution is to cut off the lights, mount dome lights on the deck like the Mumm 30's, I don't see anyone protesting them about it.

What about a combo light at the bottom of the U, between it and the lower bar? That's where mine is and I've only caught a sheet on it once, and never the kite.

It even looks like the connections on the back of the lights are exposed.

That anchor locker would get taped up and never used.

3.27 Navigation Lights (see OSR 2.03.3)

3.27.1 Navigation lights shall be mounted so that they will not

be masked by sails or the heeling of the yacht.

3.27.2 Navigation lights shall not be mounted below deck

level and should be at no less height than immediately

under the upper lifeline.

After race #9 [today] in the Hamble winter series in the UK, the J/88 Jungle Drum has held on to second place overall behind an Elan 37 in first place, but ahead of a First 35, a J 105, an A35, another J105, and a GS 39 if you just look at the boats that sailed at least 4 of the past five races in the series.

Operator - you could work for J-Uk with that spin on the results!

Jungle Drum finished todays race behind all of the even vaguely competitive boats you mention - on the water, nevermind on corrected. I don't know the reasons why, guessing they had an issue??? Water in the afterburners possibly?

http://www.hamblewinterseries.com/results

(not sure how that link will work out - you need GHWS_IRC2 under 'class' drop down, then you can select race 9 results from column header)

Operator - you could work for J-Uk with that spin on the results!

Jungle Drum finished todays race behind all of the even vaguely competitive boats you mention - on the water, nevermind on corrected. I don't know the reasons why, guessing they had an issue??? Water in the afterburners possibly?

http://www.hamblewinterseries.com/results

(not sure how that link will work out - you need GHWS_IRC2 under 'class' drop down, then you can select race 9 results from column header)

Didn't see any specific issues for them, but there was a notable absence from their crew and a course with long, increasingly one sided, beats against a big tide probably did them no favours. Probably wasn't quite windy enough for them to break out properly downwind too, though they did look quick on the first (very short) reach. Light boats were always going to get hammered by lead mines today.

Disappointing vs the 105s though I would suggest.

No spin intended. Just the fact that the 88 is still 2nd overall in IRC 2 of the Hamble series after todays race,

despite finishing in 6th place.

What about a combo light at the bottom of the U, between it and the lower bar? That's where mine is and I've only caught a sheet on it once, and never the kite.

It even looks like the connections on the back of the lights are exposed.

That anchor locker would get taped up and never used.

So that's what that hatch is for ... I found the perfect anchor for you at Petsmart if you need one.

post-66960-0-21350000-1384125539_thumb.jpg

The crew for Sundays winter series race hadn't sailed the boat before let alone together. And there was an absence of certain more regular crew members. I think the conditions were awkward for the boat because there were possible times the boat could have been planing but it's the usual planing vs displacement dilemma. I sailed the boat the previous day with just 2 others and it all seemed very easy. We could get 6.5-6.8kts upwind at 37-42twa with no weight on the sideand no jib battens. Downwind we were seeing up to 10kts at 145 in the gusts but didn't see the speedo most other times. In general ibwas impressed with it but a couple of things I'm unsure about still. The cockpit seats. I fully understand why they are there but my personal preference is that for trimming they are a nuisance. And also the furler wasn't great. It just didn't want to furl easily at all. Hanks or a foil would have been lighter, easier, faster and safer to use. But apart from those issues is was very impressed overall

No spin intended. Just the fact that the 88 is still 2nd overall in IRC 2 of the Hamble series after todays race,

despite finishing in 6th place.

Probably worth pointing out that the discard kicks in after the next race, so they will need to put 3 points on Hot Rats to maintain second next week.

At this point, we're down to a J/88 or a late model J/100. Or if I'm smart, nothing...

Boats - you can't live with them, you can't live without them (where have I heard that before).

Take a peak at a Seascape 27

Nice video. The beam on the J88 is 9.50 ft, not 7.38'. That' the beam on the J70.

Rumor is there's a "hack" in our area who just bought into one. Will have to see how they do with it.

Rumor is that Hustler is waiting for hull number 283.

post-66960-0-94615600-1384430943_thumb.jpg

That is exactly the wat the j92 got its rating.

I witnessed it !

It's not a rumor, if they get that high in hull numbers, it could happen :o

A new Hustler? now that would be cool!

If you didn't buy them from Fries Sail Design, they will probably be slow ;)

my sails are already done! I had to get them early for the fall deal.

That would make it a little harder for Left Hook to jump off Hustler when a faster ride comes along

You mean like the (former) big three automakers and other consumer industries have done for generations?

Maybe. But traditionally yards date the delivery when the boat hits the water. When it comes time to sell it will be a 2013.

Maybe. But traditionally yards date the delivery when the boat hits the water. When it comes time to sell it will be a 2013.
You may well be right, but I assume it will be whatever the title, registration and documentation shows. I owned a 2007 J that was actually built in late 2006, but it didn't deliver and launch until 2007 - consistent with your POV.

My point was 2014 cars routinely go on sale as early as Sept-Oct 2013 (and the practice has been around for 50 years that I know of), so I wouldn't characterize boatbuilders as dishonest for doing the same if they do...

post-30777-0-55786400-1384629087.jpg

No matter what the model year, the month and year of manufacture are always right there.

I should probably be the first to say well done to Jungle Drum on todays bullet in GHWS race 10, and putting them selves into 2nd o/a with 2 races left.

Guessing conditions were 5-8 knots, which would suit the design under IRC. Anyone know if they had the full strength team on board?

Whoops. I thought it looked like a Newport picture, but I didn't read the Dutch article much beyond the name and hull number. So #10 isn't even in the Netherlands, or they just used a photoshopped sistership for the article?

I should probably be the first to say well done to Jungle Drum on todays bullet in GHWS race 10, and putting them selves into 2nd o/a with 2 races left.

Guessing conditions were 5-8 knots, which would suit the design under IRC. Anyone know if they had the full strength team on board?

Yeah, top crew on board today. Sub 6 knots mostly, occasional puff to about 8. Wasn't exactly surprised they ran away and hid.