Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

who what where

Merlin

Ding Ding. Those guys and gal did an awesome job representing the PNW. Not to mention some wicked fast Ballard Sails!

Kotuku mid pacific in the pac cup this year

+1

Darn, one I could have won had I logged in 20 minutes earlier. Yes, it's Kotuku. Looking forward to them posting the video that shot was taken from.

Ding Ding. Those guys and gal did an awesome job representing the PNW. Not to mention some wicked fast Ballard Sails!

Is Ballard now using UK decals on their main sails?

We look pretty good in this frame (taken from a Gopro video that has conveniently disappeared). The stereo was blasting, the wind was piping up, and the old girl was rockin'. Life was good for about 37 minutes.

The video is about 41 minutes long and includes a wicked round down, a powdered carbon spin pole, and some most excellent work getting the boat back on her feet and trucking again. I suspect it will show up once one of us figures out how to distill it down to 10 minutes or so of highlights.

And yes, those Ballard Kites Rock! (We used the A2 a ton, switched to the S4 when the wind piped up above the low 20s) Big shout out to Alex and Joe, who were great helpers, advisors, teammates, and good people to just go sail with. Alex is also about the best downwind driver in breeze that I have ever raced with. Don't let it go to your head, Alex!

That is the fastest a boat with a traveler in front of the compainway hatch has ever went.

Not true sir. Our Santa Cruz 50 had a traveler in front of the companionway, and we went very fast indeed. In fact our speed record was set milliseconds before the pole hit the water as we rounded down and dropped the rig 50 miles off Morro Bay.

That is the fastest a boat with a traveler in front of the compainway hatch has ever went.

Not true sir. Our Santa Cruz 50 had a traveler in front of the companionway, and we went very fast indeed. In fact our speed record was set milliseconds before the pole hit the water as we rounded down and dropped the rig 50 miles off Morro Bay.

Pix or it.......... okay, okay, you're spot on SF Woody. Indeed the 50 is a barn door burner. Sounds like a blast until it went sideways. What did the fun meter say before you dipped your spoon in the pudding?

Pix or it.......... okay, okay, you're spot on SF Woody. Indeed the 50 is a barn door burner. Sounds like a blast until it went sideways. What did the fun meter say before you dipped your spoon in the pudding?

25.3 and still accelerating until we took a quarter wave, rolled just a wee bit too far the wrong way and de-accelerated very rapidly indeed. It happened at 0dark30 (why do these things never happen in daylight?) so that is one reason, amongst others, that there are no pix. It was before camera-phones (2003 Coastal Cup from SF to Catalina), and in any event we had other matters on our minds for the next few hours.

Didn't mean to distract from the original photo of Kotuku kicking ass.

#13: Merlin was also my first guess based on deck configuration, but when I sailed on her she would bury her (very narrow) bow in the next wave all the way back to the mast on a regular basis without any apparent ill effect. In fact she seemed to like sailing that way. What an awesome, breakthrough boat! Fast is fun and all that...

Is Ballard now using UK decals on their main sails?

Never... Kotuku has a UK mainsail.

As luck would have it, Kotuku just showed up at Shilshole this morning. Left Seattle July 1, returned home 53 days later. (With 10 days in SF for good behavior, and a week's worth of Mai Tais in Kaneohe.) Something like 6000 miles under the keel. Welcome back old girl!

There is a pretty complete description of the trip, some belly aching about ratings, and a bunch more photos here.

http://kotukusailing.blogspot.com

That is a seriously cool shot, must get the vid off our last ride on the 10R, there'll prob be a few shots like that...

Kotuku mid pacific in the pac cup this year

alex driving too

We look pretty good in this frame (taken from a Gopro video that has conveniently disappeared). The stereo was blasting, the wind was piping up, and the old girl was rockin'. Life was good for about 37 minutes.

The video is about 41 minutes long and includes a wicked round down, a powdered carbon spin pole, and some most excellent work getting the boat back on her feet and trucking again. I suspect it will show up once one of us figures out how to distill it down to 10 minutes or so of highlights.

And yes, those Ballard Kites Rock! (We used the A2 a ton, switched to the S4 when the wind piped up above the low 20s) Big shout out to Alex and Joe, who were great helpers, advisors, teammates, and good people to just go sail with. Alex is also about the best downwind driver in breeze that I have ever raced with. Don't let it go to your head, Alex!

Too late! :P

I can also vouch for it being Kotuku, I was catching oatmeal at the nav station a short time later when the boat went horizontal. Wish the contest waited until we got the old girl home though, one more day, darnit. Thanks for the good times G and friends.

Oh hell. Al is in the house. Guess I will have to own up that it was me driving. But come on people. Merlin? Ragtime? Kotuku is old, but she is only 40' long and 12' wide. Guess the GoPro makes us look like a 60'er. Farr 1220, 1987, 3 staterooms, a proper galley, and surfing at 18-19 knots in this photo.