• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reis123

I placed a contract on Rebecca

Rebecca.

Yea, I know, a schooner, I know, split rigs old, all wood, yea, I know, more upkeep, a design from the Alden 20's with a full keel and split rig, yea, I know, a gaff rig, yikes, maybe better served with a modern design, yea, I know, Perry, Fontaine, Johnstone, and so many others, but still Rebecca, a boat of dreams, one might imagine, built so long ago, and still, just a short time ago ..

Rebecca, I owe her payment (!), a survey, and respect served by maintaining her build and design, Rebecca, she's my boat now...

Holy moley, congrats! Didn't know you are that serious about her. Best of luck, and have a great time sailing her!

Reis,

Well Done!!!! What a tremendous boat. She is really lovely.

BV

Rebecca.

Yea, I know, a schooner, I know, split rigs old, all wood, yea, I know, more upkeep, a design from the Alden 20's with a full keel and split rig, yea, I know, a gaff rig, yikes, maybe better served with a modern design, yea, I know, Perry, Fontaine, Johnstone, and so many others, but still Rebecca, a boat of dreams, one might imagine, built so long ago, and still, just a short time ago ..

Rebecca, I owe her payment (!), a survey, and respect served by maintaining her build and design, Rebecca, she's my boat now...

How about some info for those that dont know her?

Rebecca.

I hope you love her. She'll immediately realize if you do not and fall apart in about a month. ;)

... ... Rebecca, she's my boat now...

Congrats! That's a proper little (not so little actually) ship and I compliment your good taste & judgement.

FB- Doug

Rick,

Exactly! For the love of pretty boats, somebody post a pic of the boat reis is talking about! I googled and couldn't pin it down, but I did see THAT Rebecca.

Rebbeca, Homewrecka', Steal yo' momma's Man!

I'm am happy there are those with both the financial wherewithal and love of beautiful boats to maintain such artifiacts of maritime history in their natural envrionment.

She is absolutely beautiful.

Beautiful boat. Funky looking mainsail. But I could live with it.

Main looks better in that second pic.

But Bob, in that pic you can't see the top of the main, so it's ok. Next time you see the boat, just hold your finger over the top like a gaff and it'll be good. :)

Ye God... Hope you don't have a wife or a girlfriend. This woman will require your full attention.

Ye God... Hope you don't have a wife or a girlfriend. This woman will require your full attention.

A threesome, know what I mean, bet she does, bet she does, say no more, she a goer?, nudge nudge, ay, ay, wink, wink, say no more

You Sir are my newest hero. She will take your blood, sweat, tears and lots of money but the return will far surpass all of those things. She is a fine boat, congratulations.

When I told my 97 year-old grandfather that I had purchased a wooden runabout he told me the following : “Anyone who willingly owns a wooden boat must be two things; rich and a fool. Not to worry though, all the money will soon be gone and no one will know what was done with it.” As it turns out, he was right!

If you want any really big boat, it helps if you have executive experience. You can't do everything yourself, so you have to hire and direct others. Lots of people, including me, just aren't any good at that sort of thing.

That is a proper lot of boat!!! What are your intentions for her?

Yes yes a very fine vessel. What are your plans? Some form of charter work?

Congrats, from a schoonerman. Gorgeous. Sail her hard; you might just hurt the mainmast and have to go back to a gaff. Then you'll have some real fans!

What a beauty!!! Congratulations.

Will look forward to hearing of your adventures on her, and seeing pics.

Rebecca is a very appropriate name for such a stunning boat, as the name means "beauty bestowed upon her" or "enchantingly beautiful".

No offence Reis, but I'll wait for the family pics onboard before I get too excited.

Agreed, the bullshit meter went up on this one when no pics from the inspection turned up or a reply.

But hey, maybe its legit :blink:

No offence Reis, but I'll wait for the family pics onboard before I get too excited.

Agreed, the bullshit meter went up on this one when no pics from the inspection turned up or a reply.

Yeah. After thinking about it, I think this is the fellow we thought was Non-member or a DT sock-puppet :unsure:

Time will tell ...

I'm inclined to give the benefit of of the doubt. Congratulations, she a beauty. We drove past "When and If" this morning in Newport. I think Mrs. Loser got pics.

A few years ago at the IYRS here in Newport, the builders gave a very good lecture about the construction of Rebecca.

A long time ago,my mother, my brother and myself had a 72' schooner. I am still a schooner man. But on the 22' gaff rigged sharpie schooner "Summer Afternoon".

Yeah. After thinking about it, I think this is the fellow we thought was Non-member or a DT sock-puppet :unsure:

Time will tell ...

Booms I heart your new avatar! She sings in her own words, better "bare butted". Mrs Cash was not impressed.

I'm inclined to give the benefit of of the doubt. Congratulations, she a beauty. We drove past "When and If" this morning in Newport. I think Mrs. Loser got pics.

"When and If"....would that be the John Alden schooner he designed for Gen. Patton,before the war? If so,did you ever read the account about installing the instruments? The builder and Gen. Patton were down below and discussing the placement of the chronometer....In the discussion,there was talk of adding a second chronometer,just in case one was not functioning properly.The shop foreman who was listened in on the discussion chimed in,"but,how would you know which one might be off".....This gave moment for a pregnant pause,as Patton and the builder mulled it over...after some thought,the decision fell on Patton,who said, "well then,install three chronometers"....I wonder if she still has three chronometers.

Paps, I hadn't heard the "bare butt" story until you mentioned it here. Funny story.Google is a great tool! B)

Man, could she belt out a song like nobody else. So gorgeous, too.

"When and If"....would that be the John Alden schooner he designed for Gen. Patton,before the war? If so,did you ever read the account about installing the instruments? The builder and Gen. Patton were down below and discussing the placement of the chronometer....In the discussion,there was talk of adding a second chronometer,just in case one was not functioning properly.The shop foreman who was listened in on the discussion chimed in,"but,how would you know which one might be off".....This gave moment for a pregnant pause,as Patton and the builder mulled it over...after some thought,the decision fell on Patton,who said, "well then,install three chronometers"....I wonder if she still has three chronometers.

Yep, that's the one.

UploadAugust2012123.jpg

Reminds me of a story I heard at CMU from prof Jim Tomayko, about his days at NASA: that computer processors start acting screwy when exposed to the hard radiation of space is well known. So an early SkyLab had two processors ... each programmed to override the other if it figured the other was misbehaving.

Only in a later SkyLab did NASA realize how problematic it can be to tell whether you yourself are sane, and installed three processors.

Ha...nothing like redundancy....

Edit:Three sets of three..."Skylab uses nine processors,three in each axis - roll,pitch and yaw....the three processors in each axis are redundant and only one is essential for performance"

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1951&dat=19730814&id=33whAAAAIBAJ&sjid=O4gFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2191,4548747

Time will tell ...

Booms I heart your new avatar! She sings in her own words, better "bare butted". Mrs Cash was not impressed.

Not enough hair. Need an avatar with more HAIR, Booms!

Well, I'm not exactly sure what is going on either, but I saw Rebecca at Wickford Shipyard last night while guiding a full moon kayak paddle. I'm out in the harbor all the time so I'll let everyone know if she moves.

Is there a BS confirmation on this? Maybe the boat needs some upgrades, like bulletproof sheathing and underwater lighting to prevent Reis's many foes from attaching limpet mines (oh wait, won't work on a wooden hull, cancel the order for limpet mines).

Nice boat Kim.

Bown sails? WTF?

I just stopped at two garage sales. I seldom stop at garage sales. Onc and a while I do. I keep thinking I'll find a Gibson L-5 in the woods for $15.

I bought:

One dozen new Nike golf balls

One new pair of Washington Huskie fleece slippers size 9.5 for Stacy my daughter in law

One new pair of Washington Huskie fleece slippers size 13/14 for Max

One pair of Washington Huskie fleece flip flops size 9.5 for my wife.

People having the sale are shoe reps.

Garage sales are weird.

No Gibson L-5.

Nice boat Kim.

Bown sails? WTF?

I just stopped at two garage sales. I seldom stop at garage sales. Onc and a while I do. I keep thinking I'll find a Gibson L-5 in the woods for $15.

I bought:

One new pair of Washington Huskie fleece slippers size 9.5 for Stacy my daughter in law

Garage sales are weird.

No Gibson L-5.

Great post... Been stopping at them for over 25 years looking for that mystical pre-war D-18 from someone that has no clue what its worth... ^_^

Why go half way? If one really wanted to jump into wooden vessels with full heart and sole there is always this beauty:

http://www.yachtworl...g_id=74556&url=

More maintenance than even Rebecca!

I suppose that'll work.

Now, the last pic has the layout. What is correct, Saloon or Salon? Saloon makes me think of someone plinking on a piano.

Why go half way? If one really wanted to jump into wooden vessels with full heart and sole there is always this beauty:

I suppose that'll work.

Now, the last pic has the layout. What is correct, Saloon or Salon? Saloon makes me think of someone plinking on a piano.

She has a piano too?????

Wait a minute, i don't get this. Did the guy buy the boat or not? If not what kind of freak do you have to be to make the claim?

You mean people might lie on this internet thing? This world is moving way too fast for me.

I suppose that'll work.

From dictionary.reference.com:

SALOON:

1. a place for the sale and consumption of alcoholic drinks.

2. a room or place for general use for a specific purpose: a dining saloon on a ship.

3. a large cabin for the common use of passengers on a passenger vessel.

4. British . a. (in a tavern or pub) a section of a bar or barroom separated from the public bar and often having more comfortable furnishings and a quieter atmosphere.

b. saloon car.

5. a drawing room or reception room.

SALON:

1. a drawing room or reception room in a large house.

2. an assembly of guests in such a room, especially an assembly, common during the 17th and 18th centuries, consisting of the leaders in society, art, politics, etc.

3. a hall or place used for the exhibition of works of art.

4. a shop, business, or department of a store offering a specific product or service, especially one catering to a fashionable clientele: a dress salon; a hair salon.

5. ( initial capital letter ) (in France)

a. the Salon, an annual exhibition of works of art by living artists, originally held at the Salon d'Apollon: it became, during the 19th century, the focal point of artistic controversy and was identified with academicism and official hostility to progress in art.

b. a national exhibition of works of art by living artists: Salon des Refusés; Salon des Indépendants.

Which would you rather be in right now?

Edit: I think marketing types preferred to use salon to be more genteel and appeal to women.

Edit: I think marketing types preferred to use salon to be more genteel and appeal to women.

Right now I know which I would prefer. But spending too long in either one would probably make me wish I were in the other.

Nice boat Kim.

Bown sails? WTF?

I bought:

Garage sales are weird.

No Gibson L-5.

Great post... Been stopping at them for over 25 years looking for that mystical pre-war D-18 from someone that has no clue what its worth... ^_^

Estate Sales.....there's always some weird treasure in the kitchens junk drawer. :ph34r:

Wait a minute, i don't get this. Did the guy buy the boat or not? If not what kind of freak do you have to be to make the claim?

You mean people might lie on this internet thing? This world is moving way too fast for me.

Well if you can fake your own suicide on Cruising Anarchy with a blog post supposedly from your grieving wife, anything would seem to be possible.

Right now I know which I would prefer. But spending too long in either one would probably make me wish I were in the other.

Obviously nowhere near dark enough for a disreputable Saloon but geez this looks like something out of an old school cathouse!

3907223_-1_20120615075519_24_0.jpg

Obviously nowhere near dark enough for a disreputable Saloon but geez this looks like something out of an old school cathouse!

3907223_-1_20120615075519_24_0.jpg

I once worked on a boat similar to that. There were 3 of us on varnish detail, permanently!!

There is a I 28 on my dock, that exlains the crew of 20.

I can imagine getting off watch with a wet pair of shoes on that varnished floor, you could play hockey.

If I'm not mistaken that is the interior of an Islander 28. I'm very good with small spaces.

Did you design Doctor Who's Tardis???

those super extra glossy interiors always look like somebody spilled something

Well, lets hope there's no black lights installed.

And longer and skinnier too.

3907223_-1_20120615075519_39_0.jpg&w=600&h=180&t=1339775721000

And in the category of "wooden boats that are chainsaw bait" I saw this on the woodenboat facebook feed.

silver-king-motoryacht.jpg

11 years of neglect on something like that probably means start over.

For some years, WoodenBoat has had a feature inside the back cover called "Save a Classic." The boats range are mostly from name designers and builders. Age and condition range from old and rotten to middle age and neglected. The Sept/Oct issue has a retrospective. The count is about 15% destroyed, 30% restored, 30% unrestored, 25% unaccounted for. There are people who pour a ton of money into a wreck, but it helps to have a name like Trumpy or Herreshoff attached.

Yup...seen more then a few in Port Townsend pour blood,sweat and years into trying to restore an old classic....then run across them later on a cruise in a tuperware they bought having the time of their lives.

If I'm not mistaken that is the interior of an Islander 28. I'm very good with small spaces.

Mine doesn't look like that, I better get going on the brightwork...

Well, I am redoing my interior - getting ready to make new cushions all around...do you do that sort of interior design too? Throw pillows are ok, but just not the pink (fuscia, lilac, ecru?) color of the ones in that photo.

And as for brightwork, there's exactly one piece of varnished wood on my boat and I like it that way. It lives under a long, skinny cover at the back of the cockpit, and doesn't see nearly as much daylight as I'd like.

Otoh, I did find a nice guitar at a garage sale once... a Sigma, from when Martin first licenced the design (and sent some wood) to Japan. But I'm a harp player, and that's something I'd never buy used.

But to get back on topic, BS or not, I do hope someone gives sweet Rebecca (both the boat and my daughter) the love she deserves.

Paps, I hadn't heard the "bare butt" story until you mentioned it here. Funny story.Google is a great tool! B)

Man, could she belt out a song like nobody else. So gorgeous, too.

Sure can Bloomers and when I lay back and imagine her "bare butted" it sounds even better. My fave album at the moment is Trio, they do Neil Young like it should be sung. Even if they wimp out on some of the lyrics!

Loser:

Talk to Paps. He is the official WLYDO High Marshal of Bullshit. He's the last word on BS.

Thanks Bob, I think.

Trust me BM, apparently I'm hot on BS and this guys got it.