• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dubois

Sydney Super 30s 2012-2013

Tigers will be playing then...

In are:

Tigger

Shere Khan

Flying Brandy

Ophir

Balmain Tiger

Chasing crew are:

Ten8ious

Sigurd

Guest Appearances by:

Sabre

Hello Tiger

Some potential for havoc in there!

Jet is in. Looking forward to the sea breeze kicking in

We're used to intriguing and dramatic updates to Jet between seasons. Anything to look forward to this year or is it polished fast enough now?

Nothing new I'm afraid. There have not been any additions, changes or even sails for almost 3 years.

Nothing new I'm afraid. There have not been any additions, changes or even sails for almost 3 years.

Dissapointing... I was hoping for foils... See yer Saturday!

Dissapointing... I was hoping for foils... See yer Saturday!

Yep see you out there mate. Looks like a steady southerly

Great day for the first race of the Sydney Super 30’s Gold Cup. Blue skies, steady 13 knot breeze from the South tending East . 22 Entries but only 19 greeted the starter for this first race.

Its an interesting fleet with Zippier and the two Magic 25’s representing the sports boats. 5 Tigers , Jet which I can never tell if it’s a yacht or a sports boat and then the usual suspects such as Krackers, Youngstar , Torquil representing the larger Sports Yachts and of course Beware of the Dog and Rapid Transit representing the smaller Sports Yachts. Lastly there is the group of Sports Cruisers including Sydney 32’s and Masrams. I don’t know how the Handicapper is supposed to get a line across such a fleet particularly in such varying conditions that we get on Sydney Harbour.

Before the race I predicted the Sports boats or smaller sports yachts to take it out as in 13 Knots they would be up and planning while most others would be struggling in the transition zone. The results supported my theory to some extent but not completely.

The start was a bit of a reach with the Boat end favoured. Some of the starters got a bit excited with both Greengate and I think torquil going back for a second go at it. Balmain Tiger hit the line at speed and on the hooter with Tasty and Shere Khan just below and Zippier , Krackers and Monkey Magic above. The rest of the fleet seemed to be conservative and so the leaders opened a big gap to them by the first mark where Zippier lead Tasty, Kackers , Shere Khan, BT and Monkey Magic.

The first shy leg to Chowder was interesting to say the least. Tasty was a bit short of arms and legs , 3 up, so decided to stay with their two sail upwind configuration. The testosterone powered followers all popped their kites and paid dearly as they struggled to hold them and their boats up above Bradleys Head. BT lifted its Jib to allow a kite hoist which de powered the kite and saw them surge up to just behind Zippier at the mark with SK and Monkey Magic just behind .

The work to Rose saw SK pass BT going into the mark with both the Tigers apporx 50 Meters behind Zippier they headed towards a Starboard rounding of Shark Island. Zippier seemed to get a bit of the excites and got his kite away a bit early paying for it with a slow rounding and the Tigers closed but that was the last time they threatened to take the lead. Monkey Magic had a great run across to Chowder for the second time and was right on BT’s Starboard bow as they headed back to Shark but a clearing tack did not work for them and they fell back off the pace. Tasty defied logic and with only three up powered through into fourth place just ahead of Monkey Magic as the fleet headed around Shark towards Taylors Bay with Krackes hanging on and looking like a Wine winner.

From then on the positions stabilised with the fleet stringing out on the work back to Point Piper and then the Run to Kirribilli Point and the short work up to the finish West of Clark Island. Zippier got the gun just over 4 mins ahead of SK who were 2 mins ahead of BT making up the podium. The big congratulations go to the Tasty crew who did not get a chance to drink much and were only 1 minute behind BT in fourth place across the line. A great short-handed effort in sometimes difficult and busy conditions.

As for the handicap positions , well they were shared amongst the fleet , great handicapping. Larrikin and Knockabout representing the sports crisers were first and second, well done guys in conditions that I would not have expected to suite. Shere Khan representing the Tigers was third, with Krackers representing the Sports Yachts just missing the podium and Zippier representing the Sports boats in fifth.

I did not see much of what was happening back in the middle to end of the fleet , hopefully some one can add to this ramble. See you all in a couple of weeks, hopefully with similar to more windy conditions to bring the fleet even closer together. Any photos ? full results on www.sasc.com.au

Race 1. Long and Short series.

post-5349-0-13650400-1347751802_thumb.pngpost-5349-0-31474600-1347751699_thumb.pngpost-5349-0-63735300-1347751668_thumb.png

What beats me is how many boats dont want to ? or cant ? sail weekly in what is arguably Sydneys premier (and largest) 30 foot and sportsboat fleet; which in addition has very cheap entry fees and is raced in the harbours centrally located main "arena".

Race 1 Long and Short series.

Not too many photos this week due to crew shortage; speaking of which the lead boat here (Hick 30 Very Tasty is 3 up !!).

The start/ first mark.

post-5349-0-29628800-1347752147_thumb.jpg

The backdated/ calculated AMS results for these first few races should be very interesting in a few weeks time; and I believe it will be also be trophy series for those who have certificates. IMO, this is a very welcome addition and by running both handicap systems (PHS & AMS) should cater for all levels and designs within the fleet.

Where else would you be every Saturday afternoon....

(and thanks S for a great effort yesterday).

post-5349-0-47664800-1347757844_thumb.jpg

no wuckers Gaz. anytime....t'was a great crew effort all round mate. It'll only get better.

Cracking way for the fleet to start the season. Great pics from a bloody good day as always....pass the panadol please

Very enjoayable sail on Tasty (albeit a tad short handed). A very relaxing beer was had as we headed down to Chowder and watched the carnage unfold behind us...

Good to see at least one tiger has been practicing their starts in the off season...

Looks frighteningly close between Tigers 66 & 77 !!!

And as for the actual procession order after the first mark...........

post-5349-0-26780400-1347785751_thumb.jpg

Photo: courtesy J.Sligar

Nah... not even a little close, SK just came over to discuss whether we should keep our kites up.

The race is not to the first mark... this is not the Sydney to Hobart ..

But Krackers did do a great job to lead the tigers in there, as did Tasty, shame Krackers can not keep concentrating for the two hours .

I am a little confused, what are the entry requirements for a super 30 regatta? It seems like a wide range of designs

Super 30's is a broad Church, we like to be inclusive and let the performance handicap work it out over a long season with varying conditions everyone wins a prize...

We are trying to get a measurement system working in Super 30's that will tell a different story.

Looks frighteningly close between Tigers 66 & 77 !!!

And as for the actual procession order after the first mark...........

post-5349-0-26780400-1347785751_thumb.jpg

Photo: courtesy J.Sligar

Um... any chance of a pic around 3 - 4 minutes later!?

Great start to the season guys, ta! Loved it. Found a few rusty bits on BT. Agree... super effort Tasty 3 up. Quick. And nice speed shown early by many... e.g. Krackers, Shere Khan... Monkey Magic...

I am a little confused, what are the entry requirements for a super 30 regatta? It seems like a wide range of designs

We are trying to get a measurement system working in Super 30's that will tell a different story.

SMS I would hope?

Heading for an SMS/AMS split? That would seem the most logical way to attract all likely starters. Leave PHS/PHRF for Winter Series? Or run in conjunction with?

The S30 fleet is one of the most diverse 30-odd foot fleets anywhere, with a mix of true sportsboats and sports (assym) oriented yachts. It would appear the perfect test bed for various scoring/rating systems and true, results based comparisons of those scoring systems.

The SMS / AMS split does appear the most logical. Any rule will struggle to rate a Syd 32 or Adams against a sports boat consistently.

My big problem with this series is where do you launch?

Little Manly as Chris W has done in the past, or Rose Bay on the other side has better parking prospects

or arrange with the Legacy hardstand cranes

SMS for the whole fleet is a no go, the larger boats (majority of fleet) don't qualify for a SMS cert, and in any case AMS has proven very effective in Super30 in Geelong & Airlie, every design of Super 30 (not SBs) are already represented on the AMS list

Smaller boats can have a AMS certificate (there's precedents GP26, Timpennys & TYs, Clubman 8, Hick 7.5, j/24) , however ....

the rule custodians YV only like you to have one or the other, either/or, meaning if you qualify as an SMS boat they resist giving you an AMS cert.

I think this could be relaxed for 'club only' racing, and there have been precedents in Darwin & ?Tas. ?S.A. where a single Elliott or such has been given an AMS to allow participation, also 'fixed keel' sporties like the 25' Hick-Up, JS9000 and the GP26 actually have AMS certs.

Also ALL TYs not considered 'sporties' can have an AMS.

though if the numbers were sufficient an AMS & an SMS fleet would be the ideal scenario

No precedent set in TAS. It's PHS or nothing for me when I want to sail mixed fleet. YV were quite adamant that the T7 is a Sportsboat so is SMS only. Unless things have changed in the last year.

I'd suggest having the SMS and AMS types on separate pointscores, and keep the PH system running for the whole fleet to decide overall.

The PH allows for handicapping crews and commitment as well as just the yachts potential, and mixed club racing is the home for all.

While I'm all for rules that rate similar types, I think that PH has a place too, and when applied properly gives reasonable results. :)

Super 30's is a broad Church, we like to be inclusive and let the performance handicap work it out over a long season with varying conditions everyone wins a prize...

I was previously wondering the same thing. I bought an older hick 30 "Wainunu" over the winter and was hoping to get her to a race or two this year once I get her sailable again :/ Sounds like it won't be a problem.

How are you getting the boats measured? is there a measurement day or some such? Wouldn't mind getting some official measurements/weights.

Cheers

Craig

Hick 30 will be welcome with open arms. Measurer type guy has a bit on replacing a rig at the mo. Others will pipe in here in no time. Good luck with it.

Any racing on the weekend of 20/21 October? I'm going to be in Sydney between conferences and looking for something to do?

Due to the underwhelming response I've decided to spend the weekend in Melbourne.

Results on SASC web site with 3 results to be added to the second race on the day. Chris has the missing times.

Did you enjoy the W/L races?

Another day next year....interested?

Great day Phil... thanks to all at MHYC for working with the SASC guys to put this together. It produced some interesting results. with the heavier and squarer kite boats taking home the cookies. The racing was very close as seen by the results, line honours were even closer. It was a bit of a trip from Balmain but worth the effort even if we did get our arse handed to us , and once again thanks very much to all involved. Great to see the Blue assy kited Far 30 skeeter there to show the potential of this set up, although I am sure Sandor would have preferred his square kite for the up and down races.

Hope to see you all at the Balmain Regatta in a couple of weeks, Super 30 course is down harbour, Balmain to Shark I return with an after party not to be missed, entries on the BSC web site. Friday is the last day for entry without late penalty.

Come for a spin on a 52ft, canting keel yacht. Round cans, off shore. Picture an Elliott7, but 52ft. Pm if keen.

Mmm... UpShot? A Super 50...

SASC SUPER 30/SPORTS SPRINT SERIES HOSTED MHYC 13/10

(more photos generally around those posted. PM any queries).

Pays to start close to Youngstar! Great shots (we didn't look that good, that often), many thanks!!

Results on SASC web site with 3 results to be added to the second race on the day. Chris has the missing times.

Yes it was well done Phil. Thanks putting it on. Good practice for the Sydney Harbour Regatta

Yes it was well done Phil. Thanks putting it on. Good practice for the Sydney Harbour Regatta

Well there is another day of the Sprint Series 23 Feb just before the Sydney Harbour Regatta on 9 March...........Hang on why would we want you lot to get better for the SHR when we will race you?????

Well there is another day of the Sprint Series 23 Feb just before the Sydney Harbour Regatta on 9 March...........Hang on why would we want you lot to get better for the SHR when we will race you?????

Tigers, other than Tigger, will be at the NSW titles hosted by RANSA on Feb 23/24 getting our own practice for the Syd Harbour Regatta and National Titles...

Come for a spin on a 52ft, canting keel yacht. Round cans, off shore. Picture an Elliott7, but 52ft. Pm if keen.

Would love to see the Big Elliott at the Balmain Regatta , since that's where it lives. Who is the best contact.

Nice work there Beth in difficult circumstances..... and could have been quite dangerous.....

I know why theres no Youngstar shots......apparently .....we werent actually even in the second race (well not until the following week anyway !)

Here are some more shots from the Middle Harbour sprint races...

http://www.sportsail...65922&k=nBQmwqR

Nice work there Beth in difficult circumstances..... and could have been quite dangerous.....

I know why theres no Youngstar shots......apparently .....we werent actually even in the second race (well not until the following week anyway !)

Sorry about that Garry... not sure why I didn't see you out there, probably cuz I couldnt see over the swell. Here''s a few shots from yesterday though... was a great sail!

MG6858-SK-Youngstar-2580-M.jpg

MG6853-SK-Krak-Youngstar-2580-M.jpg

MG6802-Flying-Brandy-Youngstar-M.jpg

MG6857-Sk-Krak-Youngstar-2580-M.jpg

Thanks for the Youngstar shots Beth (and the race in general). A very tough day in 20-30 kts but great racing. Bugger about SK's DNF but not the only ones.

(I've sent you the others around this sequence direct).

post-5349-0-96734200-1350786591_thumb.jpg