• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidminors

NobelTec Time Zero running on MAC with Parallels

Am running NobelTec TZ on a MacBookPro via Parallels 7 and Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. The Win 7 virtual machine has 4GByte of macine's RAM , 512MByte of Video RAM plus 512GByte of the 1TByte Hard disk. Problem is that the Nobeltec software hangs when loading at about 90% of the progress bar. Anyway seen this and did you find a solution ?

Any comments / help appreciated

Thanks

David

Yes don't mess with Nobeltec and get Expedition instead !! :D Expediton is much more credibie with features tried by many of the best navigators, that It might even be worth the change by buying an el cheapo Windows PC to run it.

WHL speaks the truth. I was a long time Nobeltec user (2001 to 2008) and can not believe how much happier I am using Expedition.

Thanks guys, I am well aware of the benfits and excellent software from Expedition, however the guy I am dealing with is cruising globally and specifically wants Trident TZ as his main Nav platform. Hence I need to find a suitable fix if possible.

Thanks

David

Thanks Tris, yes I am sure it will work fine under Boot Camp but we want to access the Mac OS quite frequently for internet, email, photos etc and still have the nav software running, so I will persevere with Parallels for now to try find best fix / setup

Cheers

David

It is also worth trying VMWare. I have found a few things that have problems under Parallels that work fine under VMWare.

Dave - Primary Nav system? wow! - rather mission critical to run in a VM IMHO. We generally recommend a pair of mac mini computers. One dedicated to NAV running Windows, the other for misc stuff including internet connection risk, etc. We configure the misc system with Windows using Boot Camp so if NAV system fails there is a back up. I know this is off from what you were asking for but after spending $$ for VM layer, giving up stability with VM, and no redundancy - the additional Mac mini can appear to be a bargain with many benefits.

Try upgrading to Parallels 8, and make sure you leave some RAM for the Mac OS too.

Does The software expect any specific hardware to be connected when it is launching?

Jason

David,

I haven't used NobelCheck for quite some time. They had been using a specialized security/encryption dongle and there might be driver problems when you're running on a Mac with virtualization. Do you know if you're past the dongle access stage of the startup process? Are you able to see the dongle and its driver in the Device Manager?

Sigh ...

Make sure you start up the windows virtualization (i.e. search for a file folder) and then insert the dongle so it can be installed on the windows side. Once the dongle lights up, open the program.

I might be "spinning" on someones topic here.

Just out of interests is there any plans for Expedition to release a Mac version?

I might be "spinning" on someones topic here.

Just out of interests is there any plans for Expedition to release a Mac version?

I doubt it...

I think Nick is probably busy enough keeping the windows versions up to date.

Also, as I mentioned in the other thread, one of the main features of Expedition is the networking ability - which as far as i know is unmatched by any other nav software, including even the most expensive version of Adrena. Expedition communicates with B&G via H-link (maybe Deckman does this too), and I wonder if this would be easy to do in the Mac OS environment.

With Parallels and other virtualization tools you can give the virtual machine a bridged ethernet port on the same LAN as the rest of the network.

When you insert a USB device, Parallels will ask if you want to connect the device to the Mac side or the Windows side, and you can choose to have it remember that choice or ask you each time.

What type of connection does H-link use?

Jason