• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chorus1

Half Ton Tribute

This thread to celebrate some old IOR half Tonners, their design, their team.....

First u'll find attached Cofica, the most titled half ever built. Skipper Léon Brioullet, architect : Jean Berret, France.post-50842-0-60342000-1347293587_thumb.jpg

post-50842-0-60342000-1347293587_thumb.jpg

I had been referring to Skipper Elf, not animal farm. Skipper Elf, concord and Group LG were the first professorially campaigned boats I had ever come across. Preparation was immaculate an they just sailed the boats so well. Even had matching crew gear and oilskins..... :-)

post-732-0-07252200-1347345035_thumb.jpg

post-732-0-02094000-1347345037_thumb.jpg

post-732-0-83321100-1347345038_thumb.jpg

post-732-0-62491400-1347345040_thumb.jpg

Tom Wylie's "Animal Farm" Corpus Christi

Tom Wylie design, 1973, Alameda, California.

photo was taken @ the 1/4 Ton - 1/2 Ton North Americans held in Corpus Christi 73 or 74

Cool Skipper elf :)

She was the boat to beat....

Nice,the predecessor to the Hawkfarm28?

Correct

Hawkfarm was production version of two Wylie boats, Hawkeye and Animal Farm.

When the IOR rating classes liked the half or quarter tonners raced together back in the glory days did they use a handicap system or did they all race on the same rating?

When the IOR rating classes liked the half or quarter tonners raced together back in the glory days did they use a handicap system or did they all race on the same rating?

They all raced to their own specific (measured) IOR rating, except for ton-cups qualifiers, nationals and worlds where they were racing on elapsed time, providing their rating was lower or equal to the fixed rating of that ton-class.

e.g: one-ton-cup fixed rating at 27.5.

- Boat A has actually been measured at 27.3, while Boat B is bang-on the class rating : in club and RORC races Boat B would owe time to Boat A while in level-class events the first in would win.

- If an owner had not been able to get his boat measured lower than say 27.6 or 27.7, he had to undertake mods or be excluded from level-class events.

it was first across the line

Bruce Farr design#54 - still fast and sexy - great cockpit - strong light air performer and a rocket offwind in big breeze !!!

More pics of this boat please!

Lauch day after refit - great cockpit and no pinched IOR style stern here - lets see some more half ton pics and stuff on this thread !!!!post-5233-0-14547000-1347811652_thumb.jpg

Bruce Farr design#54 - still fast and sexy - great cockpit - strong light air performer and a rocket offwind in big breeze !!!

Strong light air performer? They were anything but.....took them 13+ kts to make them go. Yours may be the former scrimshaw out of marina del Rey. Always like those boats but were way too heavy for so cal. ( except long beach). Diva would clean up every year at lbrw

scampi-30-117882_1.jpgScampi. peter Norlin design that won the 1/2 Ton Worlds 3 or 4 years in a row in the early 70s. Always liked that boat...and sailing with Vlad Plasvic!

Here is the original's one ( 2 pics)

post-50842-0-54862700-1347869647_thumb.jpg

post-50842-0-89788800-1347870331_thumb.jpg

Zeus II a Currawong 30 half tonner, won the Sydney Hobart race overall handicap back in 1979, the smallest ever winner of this race.

http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/news.asp?key=678&print=1

My avatar is a sistership. Previous owners competed in 5 Sydney Hobarts, their best result was a second in class. An IOR boat but an absolute delight to sail.

Is that your boat Tadams? Looks in great condition, I'd love to pick one of those up but pretty rare in these parts now. Here's a couple of sail plan drawings, and a photo of Farcical from my book that covers this era

post-52234-0-91843200-1347870851_thumb.jpg

post-52234-0-79206500-1347871038_thumb.jpg

post-52234-0-04286200-1347871082_thumb.jpg

Strong light air performer? They were anything but.....took them 13+ kts to make them go. Yours may be the former scrimshaw out of marina del Rey. Always like those boats but were way too heavy for so cal. ( except long beach). Diva would clean up every year at lbrw

The later boats would perform in all conditions and will outsail many a modern design up to 10knots of breeze, though they will loose out in a breeze going downhill.

I've attached a photo of the NZ design mafia of the late 70's. Hard to imagine more talent together in one photo (l-r, Ron Holland, Laurie Davidson, Bruce Farr, and Paul Whiting). Also some examples of their half ton designs: Waverider, Gunboat Rangiriri, Newspaper Taxi, and Silver Shamrock. With all due respect to Cofica, I have to go with Waverider as the best half ton ever, having won the Worlds in 78 and 79 I believe.

post-12572-0-30228100-1353098054_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-42701100-1353098073_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-83191100-1353098084_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-39876100-1353098100_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-08235000-1353098118_thumb.jpg

Farr design #54

In IOR mode i agree with this statement - but most of these boats - mine included have been optimized for PHRF - big roach main and modern sail construction - in flat water in light air the boat goes - Under IOR Diva gave up sail area for draft ( 6 ft on her PHRF certificate) my boat at 5 ft 3" draft has more sail area - add a modern monster roach main and in light air flat water she does ok - in a breeze from jib reaching to running she will FLY !!!! Great boat

Just looking down the list of names and pictures brings back many memories. I was brought up in the IOR heyday (ages me a bit) and they are such pretty boats.

The comment above about them being quick uphill is so true. I have two 1/4 babies here in China. They can see off a J-80 upwind and in lighter stuff embarass them downwind also.

One especially is as tweaky as hell with inline spreaders, runners, checkstays and a finger thin mast but S U C H fun in a breeze when buckets of topmast backstay just inverts the top 1/3 of the main and flattens off the sail (3DL) lower down. Add to that a flat close sheeted No3 and she is so close winded - a joy to sail.

Sorry, I've calmed down now. These boats, the 1/2; 1/4 and Mini-tonners launched the careers of so many of todays top designers and I just wonder what the young graduate designers can cut their teeth on these days?

See ya on the water

SS

I've attached a photo of the NZ design mafia of the late 70's. Hard to imagine more talent together in one photo (l-r, Ron Holland, Laurie Davidson, Bruce Farr, and Paul Whiting). Also some examples of their half ton designs: Waverider, Gunboat Rangiriri, Newspaper Taxi, and Silver Shamrock. With all due respect to Cofica, I have to go with Waverider as the best half ton ever, having won the Worlds in 78 and 79 I believe.

Waverider: yes 78 & 79, a great billboard for NZ sailing, Sails and Yachtspars mast could only be admired, not talking about the impressive array of sailing talents assembled by Chris Bouzaid, not that young nor "freak" but extremely smart.

Waverider: yes 78 & 79, a great billboard for NZ sailing, Sails and Yachtspars mast could only be admired, not talking about the impressive array of sailing talents assembled by Chris Bouzaid, not that young nor "freak" but extremely smart.

Waverider was skippered by the late Tony Bouzaid, not Chris. Chris had earlier One Ton successes with the S & S 1T Rainbow 11 and the Dick Carter designed Wai Aniwa.

This thread to celebrate some old IOR half Tonners, their design, their team.....

First u'll find attached Cofica, the most titled half ever built. Skipper Léon Brioullet, architect : Jean Berret, France.post-50842-0-60342000-1347293587_thumb.jpg

god, almost completely forgot about elliptical keels

They were known as MME Keels - Mickey Mouse Ears.

20 entries already for the 2014 Half Ton Classics Cup in Saint-Quay-Portrieux (France).

Regatta dates 7 - 11 JUL 2014.

Peter Morton will be showing the revived legendary Swuzzlebubble, Cup defender Checkmate XVIIsomething is going for the double and Irish entry King One is elaborating a strategy that will not have them over the line too soon at the start of the undiscardable 'long distance' race...

scampi-30-117882_1.jpgScampi. peter Norlin design that won the 1/2 Ton Worlds 3 or 4 years in a row in the early 70s. Always liked that boat...and sailing with Vlad Plasvic!

Here is the original's one ( 2 pics)

Bit late in correcting this, but he Norlin Scampi, and elvstrøm ½ ton, is not same boat!

Norlin couldnt get anyone to produce the boat, so it was first produced by Alvesta Plast, and had serious lacks in buildquality, it was only after it proved succesfull on the racecourse that Albin tookover the build... My first memorable sailing is from a scampi.. great little boat, and fast once you get the mast rake tuned in forward..

Ted Brewer once said he thought the 1/2 Pounder was a near ideal size racing boat. Big enough to handle some sea but small enough for a small crew and reasonable expenses.