Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jono

Need PFD assistance for shipping to NZ

Hi

I have a US registered boat customer. He needs USCG pouch PFDs and USCG zip up buoyancy vests.

I have rung Mauri, and searched Vela and Crowleys of the ads. Nothing seems to be a fit.

Ideally I need a switched on chandlery to help me with the following.

Sell me 8 pouch PFDs with USCG approval. Remove cylinders in preparation for economy air freightit shipping to NZ. I really need 33gm cylinders if possible, otherwise 24gm if that is all there is.

Sell me 10 zip up vests of a mix of sizes. Colour preferably grey / black / dark blue. Vests must also be USCG

Box and UPS economy air to NZ.

Hopefully this is meat and drink to someone. And it might as well be an Anarchist.

Anyone can pm me or send a note through our website www.safetyatsea.co.nz.

Thanks

Jono

Jonathan Gravit

Safety at Sea

Auckland NZ

Contact Team 1 Newport, they deal with international stuff all the time.

Does he really need USCG approved PFDs (I mean in the real world, not in the mind of the US CG). Assuming the boat is in NZ and somehow managed to sail there, why doesn't he just buy NZ PFDs and be done with it. If the boat ever makes it back to the US, he can then buy US approved PFDs.

Apologies if this is a commercial vessel where they take this sort of thing a bit more seriously.

Hi Jono,

We carry several brands that are not yet listed on our site. We can certainly help you.

I just PM'd you all the information and some options.

Regards,

Rod

Thanks for the PMs to date. I'm getting somewhere.

Zonker, I'm well aware of your reasoning. The customer is US based and the vessel will spend time in US waters. While the rest of the world moves to ISO standards, the US Coastguard is a big animal and will take time to recognise other countries can offer quality products. Protectionism in the Land of the Free???? Never!

But in the meantime we try and offer the best service we can.

I don't know about USCG, but for CCG we have to carry the old, bulky, uncomfortable, clumsy, (get my drift?) orange keyhole Lifejackets (a la Titanic days), simply because our inflatable PFDs - Mustang, Spinlock, West Marine - are not up to code for them.

Because of course our inflatables aren't good enough.

HW