• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

K9u20

Viper 830 - Coastal Ocean Racing

20 posts in this topic

How happy would I be sailing a Viper 830 in some coastal ocean racing ? I have sailed the same area in a Melges 24 (12 to 15 kts of wind - 3 foot seas) and felt comfortable with it although we had very limited upwind sailing. Would probably never be more than 5 miles offshore. Competition is J-105, Tripp 33, Trip 40, Beneteau 36.7, Evelyn 32, Soverel 33 and some others. This thing isn't going to break in half out there is it ?

How happy would I be sailing a Viper 830 in some coastal ocean racing ? I have sailed the same area in a Melges 24 (12 to 15 kts of wind - 3 foot seas) and felt comfortable with it although we had very limited upwind sailing. Would probably never be more than 5 miles offshore. Competition is J-105, Tripp 33, Trip 40, Beneteau 36.7, Evelyn 32, Soverel 33 and some others. This thing isn't going to break in half out there is it ?

It will be just fine - no worries

Rented Mule was always a hoot offshore...wouldnt want be onboard in 20+

Rented Mule was always a hoot offshore...wouldnt want be onboard in 20+

Me thinks you are a pussy..........................

Yes. An alive vagina, I might add.

Thought about taking mine offshore in about 2001 - popped a hole throught he hull to install a sensor. Took one look a the lam and decided against it.

Two years ago the mule boys did harvest moon. Conditions were more dramatic than what you are describing but from all reports they ducked into a port half-way down. Rumor has it they were ready to give the thing away - and those boys are pretty hard core.

Great boat for protected water or lake sailing.

ok, i'm also a P....

Thought about taking mine offshore in about 2001 - popped a hole throught he hull to install a sensor. Took one look a the lam and decided against it.

Two years ago the mule boys did harvest moon. Conditions were more dramatic than what you are describing but from all reports they ducked into a port half-way down. Rumor has it they were ready to give the thing away - and those boys are pretty hard core.

ok, i'm also a P....

ok, i'm also a P....

That doesn't sound like Brian..............

ok, i'm also a P....

ok, i'm also a P....

That doesn't sound like Brian..............

You calling Ultra a LIAR? Them's fighting words down this neck of the woods, pardnor :o

Actually it is PERFECT for coastal racing.. Just do not go upwind (who wants to do that anyways). I won plenty of coastal races in one of the OG 830's in the 1990's. 20kts is fun in it. Go Fast!

Actually it is PERFECT for coastal racing.. Just do not go upwind (who wants to do that anyways). I won plenty of coastal races in one of the OG 830's in the 1990's. 20kts is fun in it. Go Fast!

Xcactly!

ok, i'm also a P....

Definitely didn't bail out halfway. 120 miles upwind in big wind and big seas. Worst trip ever but the boat did fine. There was a lot of damage that weekend, but none of it done to the Mule.

Sorry - thought you guys ducked into freeport for a rest.

I was on the 43, probably one of the more comfortable rides that week - but was still hating life.

ok, i'm also a P....

Definitely didn't bail out halfway. 120 miles upwind in big wind and big seas. Worst trip ever but the boat did fine. There was a lot of damage that weekend, but none of it done to the Mule.

make a cover for the hatch so the waves don't go directly into the boat and you should be OK.

Christian/Mule have you guys changed anything about the cockpit floor hatch to keep that dryer?

make a cover for the hatch so the waves don't go directly into the boat and you should be OK.

Christian/Mule have you guys changed anything about the cockpit floor hatch to keep that dryer?

I have put a rubber seal in to keep most of the water out - and an extra bilge pump in that compartment. Yes the hatch cover (I use a fabric one) is a must

I also have a fabric hatch cover and two bilge pumps. One is fixed on centerline at the keel trunk and another that is loose so I can empty it out while heeled. They got a good workout last week during the Harvest Moon Regatta.

I have one bilge pump under the cockpit floor. I'm considering a second one just forward of the keel trunk.

Just make sure the bottom dosen't fall off

post-442-0-88644400-1353515692_thumb.jpg

Just make sure the bottom dosen't fall off

post-442-0-88644400-1353515692_thumb.jpg

That should easily be accomplished by not running into rocks and such at high speed

I remember when that happened. I had just bought the Cheetah 30 from John who bought a V830 to sail head-2-head with that V830. They hit a whale or shipping container or some other shit in the water and sheared the foil at pretty high speed.

As far as the original topic, you really ought to talk to John Staff who owns "Plankton" and has done a bunch of offshore shit in the V830.