Old Motel

Manhasset Fall Series

Anyone know how YRALIS feels about this?! :o

I am aware of this and Sue has been in contact with the PHRF Committee and YRALIS in general. The race committee can modify the racing rules of sailing provided they indicate it in the sailing instructions and presumably the NOR. YRALIS clubs have dismissed rule 51 for Leverage over the last 3-4 years. Many racing associations permit variation of the rules with regard to ballast.

I think eliminating the weight requirement is il advised, because our base assumes a given weight.

Anyway, thanks for keeping me in the loop.

Rick

I'm curious if there is written permission from the YRALIS PHRF Committee, or if RRS 87 is like weight limits: it looks good on paper but nobody cares if it is not followed.

RRS 2013-2016

87 CHANGES TO CLASS RULES

The sailing instructions may change a class rule only when the class rules permit the change, or when written permission of the class association for the change is displayed on the official notice board.

We are not talking class rules, it's a phrf event.

Why the whining?

Unapproved rule changes may be ok for the individual regatta, but may disqualify the regatta results

for seasonal trophies, no?

Any photos yet... Was House Salad on the water.. and better yet, was anyone shooting from the Signal boat?

Great finish in Class 1, race #3 yesterday...

I was not out there, no.

Anyone know how YRALIS feels about this?! :o

I am aware of this and Sue has been in contact with the PHRF Committee and YRALIS in general. The race committee can modify the racing rules of sailing provided they indicate it in the sailing instructions and presumably the NOR. YRALIS clubs have dismissed rule 51 for Leverage over the last 3-4 years. Many racing associations permit variation of the rules with regard to ballast.

I think eliminating the weight requirement is il advised, because our base assumes a given weight.

Anyway, thanks for keeping me in the loop.

Rick

I'm curious if there is written permission from the YRALIS PHRF Committee, or if RRS 87 is like weight limits: it looks good on paper but nobody cares if it is not followed.

RRS 2013-2016

87 CHANGES TO CLASS RULES

The sailing instructions may change a class rule only when the class rules permit the change, or when written permission of the class association for the change is displayed on the official notice board.

We are not talking class rules, it's a phrf event.

Why the whining?

Unapproved rule changes may be ok for the individual regatta, but may disqualify the regatta results

for seasonal trophies, no?

The season trophies are just attendance awards, aren't they?

Any photos yet... Was House Salad on the water.. and better yet, was anyone shooting from the Signal boat?

It was two very fun days out on the water, looking forward to next week.

Damn shame more people don't want to make the trip out. Maybe if the club advertised that they'd more or less be racing off of Larchmont more boats would be inclined to sign-up.

Maybe if they post the amendment to the NOR's more than 2 days before the event starts about no weight limits, more boats might have come out?

It was two very fun days out on the water, looking forward to next week.

Damn shame more people don't want to make the trip out. Maybe if the club advertised that they'd more or less be racing off of Larchmont more boats would be inclined to sign-up.

Maybe if they post the amendment to the NOR's more than 2 days before the event starts about no weight limits, more boats might have come out?

Probably, but better late than never.

I was not out there, no.

BTW, Salad Days will be out at the I420 Atlantic Coast Champs off of Indian Harbor this weekend with camera equipment. If the distance race gets near there, I will snap a few shots. Otherwise it will be the first time since 2003 that I didn't shoot MBFS.

I was not out there, no.

BTW, Salad Days will be out at the I420 Atlantic Coast Champs off of Indian Harbor this weekend with camera equipment. If the distance race gets near there, I will snap a few shots. Otherwise it will be the first time since 2003 that I didn't shoot MBFS.

No issues, the pictures don't mean anything unless Hustler is there crushing the fleet!!

I was not out there, no.
No issues, the pictures don't mean anything unless Hustler is there crushing the fleet!!

Calling Snaggy, Calling Snaggy -- can you help me spell narcissistic?

I was not out there, no.

Fact? or maybe the Truth?

Or maybe both?

No, of pictures of Hustler crushing the fleet ;)

I was not out there, no.

You our my heroe! Kicke thoise biches to side!! :)

I was not out there, no.

Dei enim donum est expo :)

How about those Mets !

You look a bit like Bartolo Colon, in person. :P

Looks like it'll be lighter this weekend...do you think they'll still do the distance race?

Tradition and all that, I'd expect so.

It took Dreadkocks and the dickheads on Hustler not to show up for the Smokin J to finally win MBFS on their 4th try.

Bump

only 13 boats entered this event is dead

Actually a 14th entered this morning. 8 of them are J105's. We may have hurricane Matthew by then anyway.

Bump

Actually a 14th entered this morning. 8 of them are J105's. We may have hurricane Matthew by then anyway.

And only sailing weekend 1

Bump

And only sailing weekend 1

Yep.

Bump

There are so many fall regattas now on WLIS that there is a bit of burnout for me: Vineyard Race, Danish Friendship, STC/Riverside Champs, American Fall Series, Intercollegiate Regatta, ... and finally for us the Manhasset Bay Fall Series. (I don't know what everyone else' excuse is.)

Turnout may be low, but it's still a good regatta: local, held by good people, usually there is good wind and good competition. I think I have raced in at least 28 of the last 33 MBFS ... for me MBFS is a bit of person tradition.

I'm looking forward to it.

Bump

There are so many fall regattas now on WLIS that there is a bit of burnout for me: Vineyard Race, Danish Friendship, STC/Riverside Champs, American Fall Series, Intercollegiate Regatta, ... and finally for us the Manhasset Bay Fall Series. (I don't know what everyone else' excuse is.)

Turnout may be low, but it's still a good regatta: local, held by good people, usually there is good wind and good competition. I think I have raced in at least 28 of the last 33 MBFS ... for me MBFS is a bit of person tradition.

I'm looking forward to it.

It gets even more complex when people have multiple classes that they sail in, for example if you race a Viper and a keelboat.

Will Hustler do enough sailing the first weekend to get a drop for the distance race day?

The implication here is that the distance race is usually/traditionally the second Saturday... is that correct? Its our first time at this event - trying to gauge what to expect. Any other nuggets of wisdom?

Will Hustler do enough sailing the first weekend to get a drop for the distance race day?

The implication here is that the distance race is usually/traditionally the second Saturday... is that correct? Its our first time at this event - trying to gauge what to expect. Any other nuggets of wisdom?

Tack in the headers.

why isn't the commodore racing? :ph34r:

heard he was a big racer

he'll be there

wonder if he's "desperate.."?

Maybe he's chartering Hustler. B)

Frome hisse dad?

I thought you meant the commodore of Manhasset Bay Yacht Club

Not a bad idea, maybe a September Fall Series.

Soft

So basically the loss of 13 J105's warrants cancelling the second weekend for the other 17 boats, that's a great way to recognize the loyal entries that continued to race in this regatta.

I understand a buffet and live band on Sunday to something meant to ameliorate the awesome disappointment. Perhaps I am jaded, but this is Metropolitan New York, we can get good food and live entertainment pretty much any time we want. We signed up to sail.

Perhaps next year the entry fee should be 50% down and 50% after completion of the regatta.

hearse-2.jpg

Thast notte MBYC fornte lawne is it?

I think it might be AYC with all the dead wasp's

hearse-2.jpg

That's funny!

hearse-2.jpg

Still at it, eh? Are you happy now?

Actually, no. I liked seeing how you guys revived the event over the past few years, but cancelling the 2nd weekend at the last minute sends a very bad message.

hearse-2.jpg

WASPs get cremated these days, only the guineas need a silk lined box with decorative gold trim.

I'll tip a few for Jeff on the patio this weekend. He was certainly a fixture at the Fall Series.

hearse-2.jpg

WASPs get cremated these days, only the guineas need a silk lined box with decorative gold trim.

Because the was wasp's are to cheap for the silk lined box.

Was MBYC traditionally more race oriented then it is now? I know that they are big on their Ideal 18s and MBODs. but I'm curious why they are holding a j105 division when I don't think they have even a single J105 boat at the club? Similarly, there are only 2 phrf racers from the club racing, apparently. Did the membership change over the years to a more cruising type of crowd?

jeebus, getting MBYC boats to race is like pulling teeth

Was MBYC traditionally more race oriented then it is now? I know that they are big on their Ideal 18s and MBODs. but I'm curious why they are holding a j105 division when I don't think they have even a single J105 boat at the club? Similarly, there are only 2 phrf racers from the club racing, apparently. Did the membership change over the years to a more cruising type of crowd?

They have a J105 division because that is who registered for the event. There are relatively few members who actually participate in the event. That has not changed much over the years, or at least not any more than at any other club you can pick out on LIS, or anywhere really. Their biggest one-design fleet is the Sonar, though that too has dwindled over the years. In the 1970's we used to get 10-20 Etchells, Shields, Resolutes, MBO's, Ensigns, Rhodes 19's, Knickerbockers, Thistles, and Flying Juniors every weekend. Those days are gone for sure. So in that comparison, much has changed. The big boat racing has dwindled too, but that is true throughout the sport, not because the demographics of the membership at the host Club has changed.

jeebus, getting MBYC boats to race is like pulling teeth

Whadaya' mean, both of their race boats are coming out!

Hammer started this thread.

It will not be the same and no fun without Hammer and the boys, that is one of the reasons I'm skipping it.

It will never be the same!

They have a J105 division because that is who registered for the event. There are relatively few members who actually participate in the event. That has not changed much over the years, or at least not any more than at any other club you can pick out on LIS, or anywhere really. Their biggest one-design fleet is the Sonar, though that too has dwindled over the years. In the 1970's we used to get 10-20 Etchells, Shields, Resolutes, MBO's, Ensigns, Rhodes 19's, Knickerbockers, Thistles, and Flying Juniors every weekend. Those days are gone for sure. So in that comparison, much has changed. The big boat racing has dwindled too, but that is true throughout the sport, not because the demographics of the membership at the host Club has changed.

Not to sound like a complete neophyte, but doesn't a YC traditionally sponsor races for boats that at least comprise a decent portion of its membership?

You can read about the genesis of this event on the Manhasset Bay site. It was all started by John Thomson, Jr. who certainly was a big boat sailor - he did everything on earth pretty much in Infinity.

What about if it was sort of the reverse of what NYYC does for their annual. Have a separately scored windward leeward regatta the first weekend, and a mid-distance race the second.

There could be some sort of award for best performance across both regattas. But no penalty for people who only want to do one or the other.

What about if it was sort of the reverse of what NYYC does for their annual. Have a separately scored windward leeward regatta the first weekend, and a mid-distance race the second.

There could be some sort of award for best performance across both regattas. But no penalty for people who only want to do one or the other.

mid distance?? 20 miles?

Something that takes 3-4 hours to finish so it's roughly inline with the time commitment of a day of windward leewards has been pretty standard over the Fall Series that I've done. Maybe that's not really mid-distance, oh well.

But yeah, 20 miles sounds about right.

They can call the second weekend

Wing Nut Weekend

Wing Nut Weekend

Wille you be teh Raice Ofcifer?

:)

Would that be a WNRO?

As long as I have a mega phone, I will be all set

Wing Nut Weekend

Wille you be teh Raice Ofcifer?

Would that be a WNRO?

As long as I have a mega phone, I will be all set

I wille helpe you anney waye I cane

Something that takes 3-4 hours to finish so it's roughly inline with the time commitment of a day of windward leewards has been pretty standard over the Fall Series that I've done. Maybe that's not really mid-distance, oh well.

But yeah, 20 miles sounds about right.

That's a great idea Crush. Like an end of season Edlu. Talk to your pals over there at MBYC.

7 hours ago, Kevlar Edge said:

Bump, looks a little thin this year. 

Yacht scoring entry numbers within 3 of last year. Considering the drop off in the 105 fleet compared to last year (7 this year vs 14 last year; the bump came from the NAs being at larchmont the next weekend) it's actually a little heartening to see the PHRF fleet a bit bigger. 

Just noticed the original poster is Jeff Hammer.

Eclipse will be there.

I just don't understand why this regatta is so poorly attended compared to what it used to be.  I think they do everything right.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:01 PM, footlong said:

Just noticed the original poster is Jeff Hammer.

Eclipse will be there.

I just don't understand why this regatta is so poorly attended compared to what it used to be.  I think they do everything right.

Ras!

I think most people don't come because its too late for them, to far for them. It sucks but it is what it is. 

Hard to make people come.

I can make first weekend, but will be there for the distance race on Atafranksass.

maybe it would be better to make it just one weekend. AYC fall is two weekend and just 2 weeks prior. I think it's just too much to get owners and crew to commit to two weekend regattas that are so close together

2 hours ago, Kevlar Edge said:

maybe it would be better to make it just one weekend. AYC fall is two weekend and just 2 weeks prior. I think it's just too much to get owners and crew to commit to two weekend regattas that are so close together

A bunch of years ago, when American was the smaller regatta and NYYC used to have involvement, American came to MBYC to try and get them to cohost it when NYYC got out.

MBYC did not go for it, I wish they did now!

I wonder if the regatta was located at a more easterly club if that would make a difference.