Old Motel

Manhasset Fall Series

What a great weekend!

The weather was perfect the sailing was great and the RC did a fantastic job getting in 5 races.

The best part of the weekend was the event at MBYC on Sat night, what a turnout!

It was so nice to see John Thomson at the event.

We are about $4K shy of our goal of 50K so come on sailing community let's all step up and hit that 50K by Sat afternoon.

I know I will be making another donation!

The weather looks good for a windy distance race with a fast spinnaker reach to the finish at Plum Point.

If you're coming from the Throgs Neck Bridge, you can carry until Hewlett Point, but you'll have to douse them there. You may even have to tack to make Plum Point. Maybe we can set a leeward mark in the Bay so you can set to the finish from there. Sounds like a hoot, as long as the big boys don't have to put the wheels down.

What's with Arabella cruising through the course, causing boats to drop chutes and tack/gybe out of her way?

Nice, breezy ride out there today.

Think about it as a video game spices up the race.

Next year they may fly in a few Somalian pirates to add a degree of risk and difficulty to the distance race.

Think outside the box.

It wasn't the course we were sailing, as we gave up a half mile lead to the other 29 as we started to turn Hewlitt Pt , not knowing we had to go all the way to 46A.

Oh well! I always say we suck :D

What was the course?

It wasn't the course we were sailing, as we gave up a half mile lead to the other 29 as we started to turn Hewlitt Pt , not knowing we had to go all the way to 46A.

What was the course?

u needed no. 6 to help navigate....

Yes, he would have helped.

That's why we don't do distance racing, we get to far ahead and have no fucking clue where we are going. :ph34r:

It's much easier sailing around those yellow and orange things. :P

What was the course?

u needed no. 6 to help navigate....

Jah most have smiled on division 6. First two finishers were Dreadlocks amd Smokin J

i was witness to a most excellent wipeout that had something to do with those results, i wish i had my phone to snap a few pics but it was way too wet that day. pics or it didn't happen i guess, plus we took the go pro right off the back of the boat either while jibing at 17k or doing the takedown at 22k

great regatta MBYC well done Sue!!

Jah most have smiled on division 6. First two finishers were Dreadlocks amd Smokin J

i was witness to a most excellent wipeout that had something to do with those results, i wish i had my phone to snap a few pics but it was way too wet that day. pics or it didn't happen i guess, plus we took the go pro right off the back of the boat either while jibing at 17k or doing the takedown at 22k

The wipeout on the first downwind leg had nothing to do with the final finish position, dumass.

We passed everyone back up wind and put plenty of time on both boats to come out back on top.

Not knowing the course was the big fuck up that screwed us over.

And the hack that was driving Smoking J for the owner who could not sail that day due to family plans thought it was ok to luff a boat without hailing them in 30 knots of breeze. Putting a lot of his crew and ours in harms way. We and I handle it like Pro's and kept everyone safe.

We should have pulled a flag and had his ass chucked out.

But trying not to hurt the boats and crew became more important than pulling a flag.

The hack that drove Smoking J that day will have his day handed back to him.

Might not be on the race course but his day will come, promise.

I understand being aggressive but on the last day of sailing and 30 knots of breeze it's bullshit to luff another boat the way he did.

This guy should slither his way back into the shit hole he came from and stay there.

I think others will agree.

Plus if you came to the club you could have gotten the real story.

The wipeout on the first downwind leg had nothing to do with the final finish position, dumass.

We passed everyone back up wind and put plenty of time on both boats to come out back on top.

And the hack that was driving Smoking J for the owner who could not sail that day due to family plans thought it was ok to luff a boat without hailing them in 30 knots of breeze. Putting a lot of his crew and ours in harms way. We and I handle it like Pro's and kept everyone safe.

But trying not to hurt the boats and crew became more important than pulling a flag.

I understand being aggressive but on the last day of sailing and 30 knots of breeze it's bullshit to luff another boat the way he did.

This guy should slither his way back into the shit hole he came from and stay there.

Don't forget the hacks only had a main sail up, because they suck so bad when they radically luffed

We figure if we give you 1 race a year, you will keep coming back ;)

You can get chucked out for doing things like that. Ask the old guy who sold his boat. Been there....done that!

How about some

expertise-cheese-table.jpg

with that.

bumpity bump. AYC FS is over. Start bitchin and complaining about the next regatta

He might be right Snaggy. You could probably subtract 15-18% from everyone's rating and the spread would be more equitable for TOD.

No J44s, and the J105s only sail the first weekend.

J44s will be at Sea Cliff this weekend

That's too bad.

That's too bad.

Agreed, for so many reasons...

Poor form for the Class to have abandoned MBYC Fall series

Poor form for the Class to have abandoned MBYC Fall series

One of the owners is a Sea Cliff member and has rallied the class to do this event instead of the MBYC Fall Series. From what I heard it wasn't hard to convince most of the owners to skip the Fall Series and do a single weekend event where the class could get a bunch of races in without delays from other classes.

This has been going on for a couple of years now. Charlie S. set it up and the 44s' get treated like they own the place. Sort of a no brainer for the class.

Correction, the J105's are sailing both weekends.

I know you all feel better about that.

This has been going on for a couple of years now. Charlie S. set it up and the 44s' get treated like they own the place. Sort of a no brainer for the class.

So why don't they have a no brainer on another weekend? If classes keep opting to sail on their own for the big events, then there is going to be no more big events. This is a slap in the face to Manhasset Bay, a group that has bent over backwards to provide a top level event for many years now. It has been going on for several years now and it is frankly sickening.

So why don't they have a no brainer on another weekend? If classes keep opting to sail on their own for the big events, then there is going to be no more big events. This is a slap in the face to Manhasset Bay, a group that has bent over backwards to provide a top level event for many years now. It has been going on for several years now and it is frankly sickening.

Well said!!

Maybe they are trying to send a message?

+1

This is great news. Sea Cliff YC wont be confused on who to give the overall fleet trophy to.

I don't want to upset any of the volunteers that make this event happen, but it seems like the MBYC Fall Series really doesn't appeal to bigger boats anymore. It's the same issue that Larchmont Race Week is having, the weather isn't ideal and there are other events on the east coast that are more fun. Other bigger and faster boats don't feel like being on the same course as J/105s and slow PHRF boats, waiting for them to finish, or even worse, spending the whole day making sure you don't get hit by some jackass sailing out of control when it's only blowing 20.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but the regatta just isn't appealing to most OD classes bigger than 35 feet or anyone who has to travel. The sun sets early, there isn't a party that I'm aware of, and if there is it starts too late to enjoy because launch service at most clubs ends at sunset during the late fall. I haven't done this event since 2009 or so, but I don't have fond memories. Then again, I don't have fond memories of sailing at MBYC when I was a junior sailor either, so maybe it's a personal issue.

So how do you get people interested? Focus on the smaller boats. Lock in the J/105s, the J/109s, even the J/70s. Get people involved in those classes to bring huge numbers.

I guess the point of my whole rant is: the Sea Cliff J44 regatta isn't great, but it's more fun that MBYC Fall Series for the J44s because you're not dealing with a bunch of bullshit.

Don't forget free moorings for the regatta and professional PRO's, UNLIKE other clubs

I don't want to upset any of the volunteers that make this event happen, but it seems like the MBYC Fall Series really doesn't appeal to bigger boats anymore. It's the same issue that Larchmont Race Week is having, the weather isn't ideal and there are other events on the east coast that are more fun. Other bigger and faster boats don't feel like being on the same course as J/105s and slow PHRF boats, waiting for them to finish, or even worse, spending the whole day making sure you don't get hit by some jackass sailing out of control when it's only blowing 20.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but the regatta just isn't appealing to most OD classes bigger than 35 feet or anyone who has to travel. The sun sets early, there isn't a party that I'm aware of, and if there is it starts too late to enjoy because launch service at most clubs ends at sunset during the late fall. I haven't done this event since 2009 or so, but I don't have fond memories. Then again, I don't have fond memories of sailing at MBYC when I was a junior sailor either, so maybe it's a personal issue.

So how do you get people interested? Focus on the smaller boats. Lock in the J/105s, the J/109s, even the J/70s. Get people involved in those classes to bring huge numbers.

I guess the point of my whole rant is: the Sea Cliff J44 regatta isn't great, but it's more fun that MBYC Fall Series for the J44s because you're not dealing with a bunch of bullshit.

I believe the only collision at AYC fall this year was the J44's.

I believe the only collision at AYC fall this year was the J44's.

That's true, first collision in many years. That doesn't change the fact that no one in the 44 class enjoys sitting around waiting for slower boats to finish, especially when you're dodging J/105s that probably shouldn't be out in the conditions.

BS excuses. The big boats get pampered where ever they go. The parties at MBYC rival any on the Sound and the on the water race management is top notch. Geographically it is tougher for the big programs out of Stamford and those areas to sail and enjoy the party. Is that the only answer? No. But the J44s choosing to do there own thing coinciding with MBYC Fall is a cheap shot.

I agree that there is a general malaise about big boat sailing and that should be the subject of a whole 'nother rant. When we were getting more than 100 (maybe 120) boats, we split into two circles. It wasn't that long ago that we did that. So waiting for others to finish would not take that long. I'm not sure what your beef is with the weather. Late October is the best sailing we get on Western LIS. I can remember shoveling snow off the dock once or twice, but other than that the conditions are generally fabulous. As for other regattas on the East Coast that are more fun, I'm not sure what you mean there either. I know Annapolis is doing their own thing now, but that wouldn't effect us more than a couple boats. Yes, we can concentrate on the little boats (what else do we have to do), but the Fall Series was developed by big boat sailors for big boats. I can remember getting a handful of maxis on the line. So the 44's want to abandon us, that's their prerogative - but don't come crying when there's no more Fall Series to sail in. Please understand that my view does not represent that of Manhasset Bay YC in any way. I am not a member anymore and I only come back to help with the event.

I agree that there is a general malaise about big boat sailing and that should be the subject of a whole 'nother rant. When we were getting more than 100 (maybe 120) boats, we split into two circles. It wasn't that long ago that we did that. So waiting for others to finish would not take that long. I'm not sure what your beef is with the weather. Late October is the best sailing we get on Western LIS. I can remember shoveling snow off the dock once or twice, but other than that the conditions are generally fabulous. As for other regattas on the East Coast that are more fun, I'm not sure what you mean there either. I know Annapolis is doing their own thing now, but that wouldn't effect us more than a couple boats. Yes, we can concentrate on the little boats (what else do we have to do), but the Fall Series was developed by big boat sailors for big boats. I can remember getting a handful of maxis on the line. So the 44's want to abandon us, that's their prerogative - but don't come crying when there's no more Fall Series to sail in. Please understand that my view does not represent that of Manhasset Bay YC in any way. I am not a member anymore and I only come back to help with the event.

I love the weather in September and October, that's why I've spent the past 5 weekends on the water. I'm just telling you what I've heard. The 44s are forced to do Sea Cliff because one of the owners has begged the class to do something at his club in the Fall. No one enjoys doing it, but the owners feel the need to support the class.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over the decline of MBYC Fall Series, and definitely not going to cry, if it appealed to people they would sign up. Clearly those Maxis and other big boats don't find it fun, so they're going elsewhere or putting the boat on the hard a little earlier.

Instead of talking about those who will not be there, who WILL be there??

Forcast for this weekend looks fairly kick ass!!

NW 20-25 indeed for ELIS! 4-up on the Etchells Sunday!!

Knees are knocking! I'm bringing scuba gear

You scared???

You won't need it ;)

I'm just telling you what I've heard. The 44s are forced to do Sea Cliff because one of the owners has begged the class to do something at his club in the Fall. No one enjoys doing it, but the owners feel the need to support the class.

FREE teh J44s!

I'm just telling you what I've heard. The 44s are forced to do Sea Cliff because one of the owners has begged the class to do something at his club in the Fall. No one enjoys doing it, but the owners feel the need to support the class.

FREE teh J44s!

So, are we done with the Weegie?