• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grinder

Key West 2013

Be patient. The entries will come. It won't be the biggest year ever but it is likely to bounce off the lows in recent years (At least I hope so).

DC in his 105, eh?

Pretty cool for us

I can see it now, Dennis side winding down Duval, while Damian bobbles down Duval. It will be epic!

I might have to go down this year

DC in his 105, eh?

Pretty cool for us

I can see it now, Dennis side winding down Duval, while Damian bobbles down Duval. It will be epic!

Better, have pitman pay for a J/105 charter and go head to head against DC.

DC in his 105, eh?

Pretty cool for us

Better, have pitman pay for a J/105 charter and go head to head against DC.

All great ideas. I can't wait to get down there. Cruising Duval with Espo & DC...what could be better?

In the last 24 hours KWRW 2013 has surpassed KWRW 2012 in terms of entry numbers. First time in a while and still over a month until entries close. Potential for beating 2011 as well?

In the last 24 hours KWRW 2013 has surpassed KWRW 2012 in terms of entry numbers. First time in a while and still over a month until entries close. Potential for beating 2011 as well?

Too bad!

I wonder what kind of numbers would have been generated if J/22s had been allowed.

KWRW used to have a LOA >= 24' restriction. I think they should allow kites next

The J70 has really taken hold. What a terrific turnout they are getting. From a strictly selfish standpoint the new c lass has meant an exceptionally large increase in tech team shirt orders. Many thanks for all of them. Just a reminder- The Cyber week sale ends tomorrow on the $9.99 tech shirts...

looks like the 105 class dies even more dead

J-70, gonna wait 2 years and see

I'm heading for the T 10 and some rum.

I wonder what kind of numbers would have been generated if J/22s had been allowed.

KWRW used to have a LOA >= 24' restriction. I think they should allow kites next

Not too many J/22 owners would be willing to spend the kind of money it takes to race at Key West. That is why they race J/22's. They want good one design racing, nothing else. Just my opinion.

By my bad mental arithmetic it's 125-126 boats and that's not gonna change in the next 2 weeks (except for down).

By all accounts it's not a great year, if it was not for the J70s it would have been a flop.

Hope it comes back soon, there's a lot of pent up money (or wishful money) in the UK from peeps who want to come over and play.

By all accounts it's not a great year, if it was not for the J70s it would have been a flop.

If it wasn't for the Melges 24, it would have been a flop. If it wasn't for the Melges 32, Farr 40, Swan 42, IRC. HPR, PHRF or any other of the boats that have signed up, it would have been a flop.

I'm really not sure why the number of entries - up or down - makes an event a flop or success when it is the actual sailing, racing, organization, location, parties, etc that makes the event! You can have a party with 30 or 300 and have just as good a time at either.

The fact is, the boats are changing, classes are changing, entries are changing. Fact is, there is a long and very competitive list of boats registered and they'll be having a great time and some great racing in just about 2 weeks in sunny and warm Key West.

Want to see it to come back soon? Plan for it, get it on your list for next year and sign up early! It will be one more boat on the line that will help make it "less than a flop" (whatever that is). Just be there!

See you in Key West.

LZ

If it wasn't for the Melges 24, it would have been a flop. If it wasn't for the Melges 32, Farr 40, Swan 42, IRC. HPR, PHRF or any other of the boats that have signed up, it would have been a flop.

I'm really not sure why the number of entries - up or down - makes an event a flop or success when it is the actual sailing, racing, organization, location, parties, etc that makes the event! You can have a party with 30 or 300 and have just as good a time at either.

The fact is, the boats are changing, classes are changing, entries are changing. Fact is, there is a long and very competitive list of boats registered and they'll be having a great time and some great racing in just about 2 weeks in sunny and warm Key West.

Want to see it to come back soon? Plan for it, get it on your list for next year and sign up early! It will be one more boat on the line that will help make it "less than a flop" (whatever that is). Just be there!

See you in Key West.

LZ

I will be watching the results from Vail

DC in his 105, eh?

Pretty cool for us

No J105s at all or are you & Connor in limbo?

We're all out. Too bad, wish I was going.

See you in Key West.

LZ

+1

See you in Key West.

LZ

+1

DM will be looking to say hello to you....

See you in Key West.

LZ

+1

Awesome, never met the man but I will buy him a beer or reasonably priced adult beverage of his choice.

You, not so much.

Uh, so, is it just me are you stalker creepy with everybody?

See you in Key West.

LZ

See you there. Bunch of haters around here, hence the lack of good forum content.

See you in Key West.

LZ

+1

See you in Key West.

LZ

+1

Awesome, never met the man but I will buy him a beer or reasonably priced adult beverage of his choice.

You, not so much.

Uh, so, is it just me are you stalker creepy with everybody?

Best be nice to him (he doesn't like bacon "jokes") as he will soon own you......

Best be nice to him (he doesn't like bacon "jokes") as he will soon own you......

Won't someone please give this poor thing a job?

bandana_do_rag_1_240.jpg

Maybe I'm wrong, but according to the Boston Globe, I'm guessing DM has bigger fish to fry:

"All of ***********’s ************ stock is no longer worth enough to pay the $45 million he owes."

bandana_do_rag_1_240.jpg

Maybe I'm wrong, but according to the Boston Globe, I'm guessing DM has bigger fish to fry:

"All of ***********’s ************ stock is no longer worth enough to pay the $45 million he owes."

What goes around, comes around!

bandana_do_rag_1_240.jpg

What goes around, comes around!

The Anti SLAPP hearing was held recently - let the John Does be named......

Actually, looks like the lawsuit is similar to how jesposito would describe KWRW: DEAD!

11/08/2011

Notice of Default SD generated.

I don't agree on KWRW though. I think it is awesome. Only problem is finding a cheap place to stay.

Actually, looks like the lawsuit is similar to how jesposito would describe KWRW: DEAD!

11/08/2011

I don't agree on KWRW though. I think it is awesome. Only problem is finding a cheap place to stay.

There is a trailer park and a campground.

11/08/2011

KWRW is awesome, I've been there 14 times with my boat and 5 more with others. But when the locals ie: boat yards, docking and real estate rape you and the event starts to cater to the big boys and the latest OD classes, it's time to say fuck off.

If anyone is driving down from Miami to Key West next Friday (18/Jan), have room for 1, want some company, or need a car driven down on Friday, I'm looking for a ride down.

Please let me know. Email, PM or give me a ring.

Would be very much appreciated.

LZ

See you in Key West.

LZ

I will be watching the results from Vail

I hope we get some snow.

What time are you landing Luiz?

I'm in Orlando and on the way to Miami on Wed so will be there. Anytime Friday would work for me.

You driving Friday? I'll PM you my cell #

bandana_do_rag_1_240.jpg

You are wrong. You need to understand just how !st Marble stock he sold, before the decline. The answer is a whole lot. Several folks have estimated his net worth at $250mm. And your next question is.....?

bandana_do_rag_1_240.jpg

You are wrong. You need to understand just how !st Marble stock he sold, before the decline. The answer is a whole lot. Several folks have estimated his net worth at $250mm. And your next question is.....?

Captain America aka G.I.Joe speaks up.How about answering the questions about your sailing history that you have ignored? Remember that some of us know who you are.

Nearly 40 sailboats in five classes are expected to line up off Port Everglades for the 1 p.m. Wednesday start of the Fort Lauderdale to Key West Race, now in its 38th year. The first finishers are expected to arrive at the finish line off Fort Zachary Taylor early Thursday morning, with the bulk of the fleet trickling in the rest of the day.

Race chairman Joel Bowie expects a quick race, but not a record-breaker, amid breezes forecast to be from the southeast about 10 to 12 knots. Bowie said there are two keys to winning the 160-mile race.

“Really good navigation so you sail as direct a course as you can,” Bowie said. “And sailing hard at night. The guys that can keep that level of effort and competition at 2 in the morning, that’s the key.”

An awards ceremony will be held at 5 p.m. Friday at Kelly’s Caribbean Bar and Grill in Key West.

Bowie said he expects about 40 percent of the fleet to stick around in the Island City for Sunday’s start of Quantum Key West 2013, also known as “Key West Race Week,” which runs through Jan.25. More than 125 boats in several handicapped and one-design racing classes are slated to compete.

Found a ride to KW on Friday. Thanks everyone!

See you down there.

LZ

If it doesn't work out you can drive my car down.

And arrive covered in glitter and smelling of self hate? That's how ya leave mate.. Not arrive

Anyone know of a good place to store a boat on a trailer between key wet and Miami events? Need to put an m24 somewhere. At 110 per week shake a leg is out of my price range.

Anyone know of a good place to store a boat on a trailer between key wet and Miami events? Need to put an m24 somewhere. At 110 per week shake a leg is out of my price range.

But Shake-A-Leg's money goes to a good cause.....putting disabled and disadvantaged kids on boats....$110 well spent.

Anyone wanna make predictions on Class winners?

Dang not much in the way of Local teams making the trip...and only 1 J120 a far cry from when we almost got OD start.

I'll go with,

Rio in the 52's

Grooverdishy (sp) in the M32's

Dang not much in the way of Local teams making the trip...and only 1 J120 a far cry from when we almost got OD start.

I'll go with,

Rio in the 52's

Grooverdishy (sp) in the M32's

It's a far cry from the days when there was tons of discussion on here the night before the regatta. It'll be interesting to see how the HPR class plays out over the week. Amazing to see that many J70's.

J70's has tons of pros.

Must be they smell lots of sail selling opportunities. Dave Ullman sailing a J70....Jeeesh!

Funny thing all the boats racing already have sails. So how many of them are going to buy from each other? Ullman always leads the way to the new hot class. He'll be a factor.

Big fucking yawn.

If it's such a big f#$king yawn to you, then why even waste your time and keystrokes? You obviously had a little interest or you wouldn't have clicked on the thread in the 1st place.

bandana_do_rag_1_240.jpg

Captain America aka G.I.Joe speaks up.How about answering the questions about your sailing history that you have ignored? Remember that some of us know who you are.

Any clues? :P

I'll be a homer and pick Smokin J from my club in the J70.

Interesting to see that the M24 Fleet includes a Corinthian Division.It's great to see a new hot fleet in the J70 but am wondering what some of the mom and pop programs are thinking when it appears many of these J70's are being sailed by professionals.IMO not a good way to promote this class at it's first major event.Good luck to the amateurs.

I was wondering about so many Pro's as well. Man for a 22 foot boat, doing this regatta has to cost $7k-$10k. Including travel costs, dockage, hoist fees, room and board, meals, flights, DRINKS, plus if you are paying a pro or as some boats have two onboard. Not including the new jib or set of sails you bought just for KWRW. That is why we are seeing bigger boat guys in this division, they have the cash.

Talk to Tom Lihan, he's sailing with Ullman on a J-70. He stores boats in a warehouse in Lauderdale, air conditioned. I think it's reasonable.

Talk to Tom Lihan, he's sailing with Ullman on a J-70. He stores boats in a warehouse in Lauderdale, air conditioned. I think it's reasonable.

Dave & Greg will be doing updates from the J-70 and zerik Shampain will be giving updates from the Melges 24 fleet on our facebook site

http://www.facebook.com/ullmannewportbeach

Didn't Key West start yesterday? No results?

Only the drinking part, and Luiz doesn't get paid to score that. So... No Results.

THe first race should be under way now.

I was wondering about so many Pro's as well. Man for a 22 foot boat, doing this regatta has to cost $7k-$10k. Including travel costs, dockage, hoist fees, room and board, meals, flights, DRINKS, plus if you are paying a pro or as some boats have two onboard. Not including the new jib or set of sails you bought just for KWRW. That is why we are seeing bigger boat guys in this division, they have the cash.

$7-10k? Double that, at least.

You can follow the on-the-water blog that the scorers are posting live and get all the current info on the race course. Go to http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=716 and click on the Blog link. It will pop-up a window that self-updates every 90 secs.

Also, for those interested in the Division 1 fleet, the TP52s are doing a Virtual Eye tracking of the boats with live commentary by Dobbs Davis and Andy Robertson. go to the TP52 Super Series web site at http://www.52superseries.com

Reminder… All starts are about an hour later this year. First starts scheduled to go at 11:30am

LZ

http://sailinganarchy.com/2013/01/21/gunning-for-key-west/

Interesting to see that the M24 Fleet includes a Corinthian Division.It's great to see a new hot fleet in the J70 but am wondering what some of the mom and pop programs are thinking when it appears many of these J70's are being sailed by professionals.IMO not a good way to promote this class at it's first major event.Good luck to the amateurs.

The M24 has included a Corinthian Division since 2005.

You realize this sport is called Yachting and it takes money.. it is not frisbee golf

http://sailinganarch...g-for-key-west/

Thank you for the correction.Have not followed the series in years.Still like that concept and will bet the J70 Class wishes they had done the same.

$7-10k? Double that, at least.

ayup

which I why I skip the event and go skiing.

It's fun to do on OPB's but really wasn't worth it to take my own boat down.

KMAG, yeah I know it takes money, my thought process was how many guys who buy 22 foot boats can afford $10k for one event? Our sport is getting shrunk into smaller boats because of the expenses. Why else would there not be more Farr 40's, Melges 32's and even Melges 24's there if it were not so expensive?! I sail a small boat, am I now to expect these owners to come into my class and turn it into a arms race because they can?

http://sailinganarch...g-for-key-west/

Thank you for the correction.Have not followed the series in years.Still like that concept and will bet the J70 Class wishes they had done the same.

The J-70 class does it too.

The J-70 class does it too.

The same guys that will sell you an early hull if you agree to enter some big regattas and let them put a bunch of pros on to show

decent results?

KMAG, yeah I know it takes money, my thought process was how many guys who buy 22 foot boats can afford $10k for one event? Our sport is getting shrunk into smaller boats because of the expenses. Why else would there not be more Farr 40's, Melges 32's and even Melges 24's there if it were not so expensive?! I sail a small boat, am I now to expect these owners to come into my class and turn it into a arms race because they can?

Sort of the nature of the beast. Economy drives the sport also and when people are not making as much money we lose the middle class (which sucks)

There are boats for everyone.. and different regattas depending on budget etc. Key West is looking thin except for a few classes. I am heading to Bacardi Race Week on the Vipers.. now that is a class that requires less cash and you can not really have an arms race the way they set it up... Even if the owner is bending the rules and paying a couple guys to sail with him it is still going to be pretty reasonable.