• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boo-Yah

Best Yachting Image or Print of all time?

Good evening,

"Rounding The Horn". The black and white image of Gypsy Moth IV running under storm jib before a 50 kt wind as she rounds The Horn in March, 1967.

You beat me to it HILLY. This is the first image that springs to my mind when someone mentions sailing photos, although that's not to detract from any other photos that have been posted - nor those that are to come. Do you think we'll reach a definitive answer?

Bit hard to pic the best. Certainly some of Bekens older ones are excellent. Then you have Silk2 and Wild Thing.

I couldn't pick one either but I'd start with Rosenfeld, Onne van der Wal, John Mecray and Sharon Green and narrow from there. Hard to beat the J-Class boats, and I always liked the Endeavor spinnaker blue with white stars, might be one of those.

I couldn't pick one either but I'd start with Rosenfeld, Onne van der Wal, John Mecray and Sharon Green and narrow from there. Hard to beat the J-Class boats, and I always liked the Endeavor spinnaker blue with white stars, might be one of those.

John Mecray has an awesome body of work but it is mostly illustrative airbrush.

I'd have to think long and hard about a single best photo. I'm happier considering marine photographers as a class. It's always useful to compare their work over a series of regattas -- Volvo, Olympics, AC, classic yachts etc. There's a long list of worthy candidates but I'd make Italy's Carlo Borlenghi #1

No support for Australias greatest yachting photographer ??????

Hat, coat and Im out of here.......................

There are so many great shot, both modern and vintage, it would be hard to call one the best. There are so many that are visually appealing.

I find vintage black and white to be particularly appealing for detail.

The Herreshoof designed Westward by Beken...click on for full size...

1910-Westward.jpg

Even not so well preserved B&W hold up well. If I wanted to take the time, this image could be dressed up well with some photo editing.

1893-Britannia-aft.jpg

There are so many great shot, both modern and vintage, it would be hard to call one the best. There are so many that are visually appealing.

1910-Westward.jpg

That is one outstanding photo. When you consider the technology used and the timing required it becomes even more amazing!

I would love to have a large framed print of this photo. Probably cost more than my annual Social Security income though.....

No support for Australias greatest yachting photographer ??????

Hat, coat and Im out of here.......................

Who is that ? Surely it would be a household name known among Australians .... I just can't think who it's slipped my mind .........

1910-Westward.jpg

+2, that's an extraordinary picture, thanks.

I looked up the website and pricing---

For a 60x40" print on canvas somewhere less than $1000, if I guessed right on shipping and the exchange rate. Smaller sizes less to reasonable depending on how small a print is tolerable.....

This one has always been one of my favorites. We have a large color version in our club's bar.

"Mir" just before the mast went over the side. Cool!

I also looked it up - there are some pretty reasonable options here: http://www.beken.co.uk/galleries/buyoptions.php?dir=Yachtingℑ=tn_Westward%201926%20(12395)_jpg.jpg&pic=Westward%201926%20(12395)

For a 60x40" print on canvas somewhere less than $1000, if I guessed right on shipping and the exchange rate. Smaller sizes less to reasonable depending on how small a print is tolerable.....

1910-Westward.jpg

HOT DAMN!.

They built beautiful boats and they sailed them beautifully. This will still be beautiful after our maxis and TP52s are long ugly.

I also looked it up - there are some pretty reasonable options here: http://www.beken.co....rd 1926 (12395)

This is the print I was looking at:

http://www.beken.co.uk/galleries/buyoptions.php?dir=Yachtingℑ=tn_Westward%201910%20157.s_jpg.jpg&pic=Westward%201910%20157.s

^^

you can also save it to desktop

use digital photo enlarger software to make it bigger

and get it printed off at a printshop on photo type paper at about A1, poster size for under $100

post-31233-043734300%201294850640_thumb.jpgLove Machine on a wave in the stream, SORC circa 70-something??

This is the first pic that came to mind when I saw this thread, Tom Leutwiler photoFrom wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia....e-Scuttlebutt-0

"...1976

At the Miami-Nassua Race of the 1976 SORC, Leutwiler photographed Love Machine,which many sailors felt was the best action photograph of the period. It appeared as the cover of Yacht Racing Magazine in April 1976, and played a critical role in the building the recognition of the Leutwiler brand name. Wham Bam, Sunset, Tweety, Lonely Sea, and Condor were also published around this time and all became cornerstones of Leutwiler Photography...."

Not sure if it can be found in digital format or who took the shot, but the picture of Scaramouche on the cover of Yachting taken in the mid 70s has always been one of my favorites.

This one has always been one of my favorites. We have a large color version in our club's bar.

Mir at the end of Transpac right before she lost her rig. Taken by SBYC member Richard Cleveland

Fuck you'd think the boogler would have some fine shots of his own.

But he wont show them to me, or anybody else for that matter.

Getting gratification from posting other people's pics, hmmm

1910-Westward.jpg

That is one outstanding photo. When you consider the technology used and the timing required it becomes even more amazing!

I would love to have a large framed print of this photo. Probably cost more than my annual Social Security income though.....

The sails are so crisp looking... not a speed wrinkle anywhere!

I could look in wonder at that schooner shot for hours.

Cotton sails?

The overlap of the foresail on the mainsail.

The length of the main boom.

The delicasy of the main topmast.

I can't see a winch anywhere. There must be some.

Hard to imagine how they got it all so right so long ago.

Cotton sails?

+1 Bob! I noticed the overlaps as well. What still amazes me is the mani top sail. The sheeting to the gaff and the booms on the top and bottom of it. Setting that sail, which with the two booms probably weighed over a 1000 lbs, must have been quite the exercise! And like you said, not a winch in sight.

Cotton sails?

Bob, as it happens, many years ago when working in England I bought a then newly published book on Westward history.and her last owner TB Davis, who was quite a character having started at 15 as a sailor to end up making a fortune in East Africa stevedoring. The book says : "Sailmakers who fifty years ago -in the 1920s - catered for racing yachts were few and far between, and probably quite unintentionally, they were surrounded with a certain mystique. As T B Davis wanted to try some new ideas with regard to sails on "Westward" , he decided to make them himself, which caused many raised eyebrows in the yachting world at the time. He acquired part of an old brewery in Jersey, which he converted in a sail loft and rigging shed. Not only did this find work for the crew during the winter months, but they soon became experts in the art of sailmaking" !!!!!

This book (The Racing Schooner Westward by CP Hamilton-Adams) goes on for pages about TB Davis rigging tricks and smart sail-handling procedures, with block and tackle of course !

1910-Westward.jpg

One tack to the layline! By the time everything is set right, you are there.

1910-Westward.jpg

I don't think those guys would have gotten out of bed for 1 mile windward/leeward, which I have done a lot of this season.

Seems like the courses get shorter every year.

Sailman:

Thanks for that info. I look at those sails and they way they set and I am awed.

Look at the luff of the staysail. Maybe its the camera angle but I don't see any sag. I don't see any in the jib either. Must be the camera angle. Right?

That photo sort of makes you wonder about technology and its benefits.

My guess, is that they were doing about 12/13 knots in the photo. Does anyone know?

Sailman:

Thanks for that info. I look at those sails and they way they set and I am awed.

Look at the luff of the staysail. Maybe its the camera angle but I don't see any sag. I don't see any in the jib either. Must be the camera angle. Right?

My guess, is that they were doing about 12/13 knots in the photo. Does anyone know?

Her WL is listed at 96'1" so an approximate hull speed of 13.1 knots at a minimum. I'd say 12-13 would be a fair estimate, she isn't pushed all the way over so say the wind is around 12-14 in that picture no white caps.

Sailman:

Her WL is listed at 96'1" so an approximate hull speed of 13.1 knots at a minimum. I'd say 12-13 would be a fair estimate, she isn't pushed all the way over so say the wind is around 12-14 in that picture no white caps.

I am waiting to see a picture of one of the finest yachts in existance that I know you have a picture of

There are so many...Carlo Borlenghi has shot some great images in the modern era...

Waves-in-the-sky-on-course-to-Hobart-Photo-credit-Rolex-Carlo-Borlenghi.jpg

'best yachting image' and you posted a photo of a fucking cloud?

Get some glasses fuckwad, there's a sailboat in the picture. I like it, it makes the boat seem so small and insignificant, it's stunning!

The way cotton stretches, wonder how often the sails had to be re-cut each season ?

Probably not recut too much. Stretching new sails was a big deal, though, and drying them out when they got wet (a bigger problem with smaller boats).

I'm sorry. My bad. I forgot I was posting on SA. Could you please insert "fucktard" where appropriate in my posts.

Thanks.

Throw in an "asshat" or two and a few well-placed "douchebags" and "douchebaggey" and you have it well covered.

1910-Westward.jpg

I don't think those guys would have gotten out of bed for 1 mile windward/leeward, which I have done a lot of this season.

Seems like the courses get shorter every year.

While I do get your point. The crew on that boat were ordered and paid to get out of bed. The other option for the day was likely deck scrubbing and brightwork..... just saying?

Sailman:

I am waiting to see a picture of one of the finest yachts in existance that I know you have a picture of

528859_454271501269812_1477982080_n.jpg

all w/l and no reaching make mustang1 go something something.

No kidding....

Job for the dumb, strong newby: Lifting up the foresail boom so it clears the mainmast through a tack. I still have the scars on my shoulder.

The Most Expencive Photo Ever

has to be one of a Fat Guy flippin the Bird

Don't remember where I saw it tho :huh:

1910-Westward.jpg

Great account of her History and the replica Eleonora here

http://www.yachteleonora.com/CFDOCS/cms3/admin/cms/download.cfm?FileID=780&GroupID=128

Job for the dumb, strong newby: Lifting up the foresail boom so it clears the mainmast through a tack. I still have the scars on my shoulder.

I doubt that on this one. Looks like the clew is sheeted off the boom.

Wait just a gol darn minute. Even I know it's "douchbaggery" and not "douchbaggey". I'll get the hang of it.

Asshat.

Like on the old cruisers, where those fucktards had douchbaggeywrinkle on all the shrouds.