• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fleetwood

Datamarine instruments

I have stone-age Datamarine instruments (Link 5000) which still work fine for cruising.

Don't have the $$ to get a complete new set (maybe Nexus?) just yet.

Anyone know what the data format is? I'd like to interface them to my PC-based nav software and other instruments.

DMI Marine should have the parts you need to have a NMEA output. With that you can connect the instrument system to a laptop running Expedition which will give you the ability to have much better calibrations and much more accurate data, along with all the other tactical data that Expedition software puts out. Couple this with our Ventus Navigator and you can have all that data displayed out in the cockpit, or anywhere on the boat, using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.

It is a great and econnomical way to turn a lower end set of instruments into a system that can give you really accurate performance data.

dmi@dmimarine.com

www.dmimarine.com

www.ventusnavigation.com

http://www.expeditionmarine.com/

Cheers,

Harry Pattison

I know DMI, they repaired my masthead unit recently. Good work.

I asked them several years ago about interfacing and they said it couldn't be done. Maybe they've come up with something since then, I'll try them again.

Thanks.

I emailed them about it and got this response.

Hello,

You will to provide the exact model number (and serial number if possible) in order for us to supply you parts and information.

DMI Marine Inc.

18 Commerce Park Road

Pocasset, MA 02559

Tel-508-564-7491

fax-508-564-7497

dmi@dmimarine.com

www.dmimarine.com

> Does the Data Marine system have a NMEA output that can send data to a

> laptop running a navigation program?

>

I just emailed DMI (Steve) who replied that there is no way to get the Datamarine Link 5000 o/p into a NMEA format.

I guess they would know! (Didn't tell me what format it is in though - probably something old and proprietary .)