Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clove Hitch

Tropical Storm Sandy (Hurricane Sandy?)

the current gfs model has it going well out to sea

I guess that's true..., if you don't count Jamaica. Cuba, the Bahamas, and Bermuda....

Let's hope the Euro model is wrong...had enough trees down in the past 18 months or so.

I had an estimate for ~$20K for a generator - once I get that, no more trees will come down on the eastern seaboard.

But since I haven't gotten it yet, I'm sure I am looking at a week without power when this comes through.

Let's hope the Euro model is wrong...had enough trees down in the past 18 months or so.

I had an estimate for ~$20K for a generator - once I get that, no more trees will come down on the eastern seaboard.

But since I haven't gotten it yet, I'm sure I am looking at a week without power when this comes through.

Chateau Left Hook had a massive, electric start, genset installed and wired into the house after being out of power for a week twice following both Irene and the October 2011 Nor'Easter. Our previous unit wasn't cutting the mustard for a plethora of reasons despite being almost brand new with less than 100 hrs on it. It's now sitting covered in a corner of our basement waiting for a storm like Sandy to drive up the price we can get for it as people go into panic mode and Home Depot runs out.

Now it all makes sense why you went with the Euro track...trying to sell P.O.S. genset.

Chateau Left Hook had a massive, electric start, genset installed and wired into the house after being out of power for a week twice following both Irene and the October 2011 Nor'Easter. Our previous unit wasn't cutting the mustard for a plethora of reasons despite being almost brand new with less than 100 hrs on it. It's now sitting covered in a corner of our basement waiting for a storm like Sandy to drive up the price we can get for it as people go into panic mode and Home Depot runs out.

I have one 5.5kw diesel generator left. 10HP Yanmar engine. Runs for over 20 hours on one 8 gallon tank. But I don't deliver that far.

Doesn't work. I installed one that gets the "generator happy dance" whenever the power goes out back in dec 2010. I lost a couple dozen trees to Irene and power was out for a week. My propane tank is good for 2 weeks at normal electrical usage and more if we conserve by shutting down the hot tub, etc.

12Z Euro has it making landfall in ~New Jersey on Tuesday Oct. 30

msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!168!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2012102312!!chart.gif

The real story is the water temps. Good 18 degrees colder from mid-Atlantic up into the northeast than out near the stream.

I just ran the latest GFS and I don't want to alarm anyone on the Eastern Seaboard but it does not take the storm out to sea. In fact it has it as a 958mb system over central Long Island sound at 2PM on Monday October 29th. A lot can change between now and then but this is a pretty dramatic departure from the previous runs.

I should also note that it comes relatively close to South Florida on the this run.

You read it here first on SA.

More later if the trend maintains...

20k seems kinda high. Buddy up the street just got a 20kw propane installed for about 8k total.

inluded genset, tanks, plumbing, autoswitch and all electical work.

I just ran the latest GFS and I don't want to alarm anyone on the Eastern Seaboard but it does not take the storm out to sea. In fact it has it as a 958mb system over central Long Island sound at 2PM on Monday October 29th. A lot can change between now and then but this is a pretty dramatic departure from the previous runs.

I should also note that it comes relatively close to South Florida on the this run.

958MB - The Euros had 946MB

in terms of Hectares per Fortnight,

How fucking windy is that?

Think that's about a category 3. I'm going to wes' mommies house

If you recall Sandy will be almost 1 year to the day we were trying to get to Bermuda and calling you

every day trying to work around TS Sean. He had peak winds 65mph and 982MB. Eventually turned away

from the east coast

someone last nite was telling me about some other system that may combine with this one?

wasnt listening close enough

Billy! Not the Flemish Cap Billy. You get out of there now Billy!

Billy.. come in.. over! Billy!... BILLLLLLLYYYYY!!!!! Damn you!

MV5BNjUxMjgzMDY3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTIxNjU3._V1._CR74,0,301,301_SS80_.jpg

billy.htm

someone last nite was telling me about some other system that may combine with this one?

wasnt listening close enough

Billy! Not the Flemish Cap Billy. You get out of there now Billy!

Billy.. come in.. over! Billy!... BILLLLLLLYYYYY!!!!! Damn you!

MV5BNjUxMjgzMDY3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTIxNjU3._V1._CR74,0,301,301_SS80_.jpg

You're steaming into a bomb! Turn around for Christ sake! Billy, can ya hear me? You're headed right for the middle of the monster! Billy?...

I dont know. Might be safer putting to sea. If he shits his pants in 25 knots , no 40 knots,

shit I mean 25 knots

you dont want to be around in 946 MB stuff!

and that means what No. 6?

Well tropical storms feed on heat energy. So as the sea water temp they are traveling over declines, so does the energy and severity of the storm. They also like to follow warm water. So unless there is a stationary blocking high north of BDA that steers the storm back towards the eastern seaboard north of Hatteras, it would tend to try and follow the stream. For it to really impact NYC area, I should think you would also need a somewhat stationary bubble of high pressure off of Nova Scotia. You also have a cold front coming across the country which will tend to push it offshore and add cold air to the mix. While that might make the frontal passage a bit more intense when the cold air displaces the warm tropical air, it also robs fuel from the storm itself.

Anything can happen this far out, but sounding alarms at this point would be little more than selling newspapers IMHO.

Here is the 6 day map.

9mh.gif

20k seems kinda high. Buddy up the street just got a 20kw propane installed for about 8k total.

inluded genset, tanks, plumbing, autoswitch and all electical work.

Bump. Mine was 10 but that included rewiring the main panel to separate common and ground, buying, burying and filling a 550 gal tank, etc.

I'd say 8-12 in the mid Atlantic depending on particulars.

and the hits just keep on coming. f-it.

I am going to go on record right now on tuesday the 23rd saying this will get major hype in the news and nothing will come of it. I say that more in hopes that nothing comes to the north east as I just dont have the time right now to be pulling boats in mass chaos around the clock this weekend.

I have zero scientific facts to back up my forecast, just a hunch. here is to hoping I am right!!

The 96 hour 500mb map is interesting. The ridge of high pressure across the north Atlantic is most impressive.

A_96hr500bw.gif

I saw one Euro that had it going down to 927 mb. Record in Maryland, I believe, is 945 and that was with the '91 Storm of Perfection. This bitch goes to 927 mb, we will all be in a world of hurt, that is, all us on the Rightish Coast north of say, Cape Henry.

Course, things can and invariably do, change....

I just ran the latest GFS and I don't want to alarm anyone on the Eastern Seaboard but it does not take the storm out to sea. In fact it has it as a 958mb system over central Long Island sound at 2PM on Monday October 29th.

Don't see that . . . current GFS 29th 00z:

post-61520-0-45371300-1351030530_thumb.jpg

29th 9z:

post-61520-0-45584300-1351031067_thumb.jpg

Mark,

Not doubting you, but can you explain the discrepancy between your forecast and NHC?

THE INITIAL MOTION IS ESTIMATED TO BE SLOWLY NORTH-NORTHEASTWARD...

OR 020/5. NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE TO THE PREVIOUS

TRACK FORECAST. AS A MID-TROPOSPHERIC RIDGE TO THE NORTH OF SANDY

CONTINUES TO WEAKEN...THE TROPICAL CYCLONE SHOULD MOVE ON A

NORTH-NORTHEASTWARD TO NORTHWARD HEADING WITH SOME INCREASE IN

FORWARD SPEED OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. IN 2-3 DAYS...A SHARP

UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH JUST TO WEST OF SANDY IS EXPECTED TO KEEP THE

STORM ON A NORTHWARD TRACK...NEAR THE NORTHWEST BAHAMAS. LATER IN

THE FORECAST PERIOD...INCREASING MID-LEVEL WESTERLY FLOW IS

EXPECTED TO CAUSE A TURN TOWARD THE NORTHEAST. THE OFFICIAL

FORECAST TRACK IS SIMILAR TO THE LATEST GFS AND ECMWF SOLUTIONS

THROUGH 72 HOURS...AND CLOSE TO THE DYNAMICAL MODEL CONSENSUS.

I'm flying into Nassau tomorrow (Wednesday) and will be there through Monday. So what do you experts think? Will I be working on my suntan or my windburn?

I'm flying into Nassau tomorrow (Wednesday) and will be there through Monday. So what do you experts think? Will I be working on my suntan or my windburn?

I'm no expert, but I'd say it looks like you have front row seat to a bit o' weather.

Mark,

Not doubting you, but can you explain the discrepancy between your forecast and NHC?

My guess is that it's what I call the "Home Depot Affect". When storms become sponsored by the Home Depot the forecast trends towards populated areas in an effort to boost sales. Once sales are up then forecasters trend away from populated areas. Hopefully that's all it is this time.

I'm ready already so there's no difference to me either way. Be safe everyone.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/ngptc2.cgi?time=2012102400&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=Animation

The 96 hour 500mb map is interesting. The ridge of high pressure across the north Atlantic is most impressive.

A_96hr500bw.gif

Glad i didn't invest in that barrier island property.....

Mark,

I should have been way more clear yesterday. I do not think the chance of tropical system "Sandy" coming ashore in the CONUS are very high. The GFS run that I was looking at at that time was devoid of the right turn that most models are predicting. That is just one model and only one model run. It is interesting to me that the track has been shifted to the left and that the GFDL model now does bring the system ashore in Maryland. It is the sole outlier though so don't bet the farm on it.

As with all tropical systems, they go where they want and no model handles each and every one perfectly or I would be out of a job.

So if you live anywhere on the Eastern Seaboard you should stay apprised of the forecast and be prepared to protect life and property until Sandy follows makes the right turn and heads for the Mid Atlantic Ridge...More later if things get more interesting....

<snip>

As with all tropical systems, they go where they want and no model handles each and every one perfectly or I would be out of a job.

So if you live anywhere on the Eastern Seaboard you should stay apprised of the forecast and be prepared to protect life and property until Sandy follows makes the right turn and heads for the Mid Atlantic Ridge...More later if things get more interesting....

That's not good enough, Mark. If your predictions fail, I'll have an Italian court prosecute and sentence you to 6 years in prison. ;)

I'm with Ajax- if the storm comes sue Yachtdog, Trendsetter, ice9a and No.6. If it doesn't come sue Kim.Whitmyre, Clove Hitch, us7070 and grinder.

Dry Armour is vacillating, gets sued either way.

It'll be like ducks in a barrel. I've retained Cousin Vinny- he has the italian angle covered.

Guest One of Five

it won't take much for them to freak out - they need ratings too.

I'm not freaking out until the major news outlets freak out.

Buy as much bread and milk as you can now!!!!

ok so if it does come, and it comes ashore in the maryland area, is this gods will of trying to get obama out of the white house? how will fox put there spin on this?

ok so if it does come, and it comes ashore in the maryland area, is this gods will of trying to get obama out of the white house? how will fox put there spin on this?

Not sure how Fox will spin it but the White House will blame it on the Bush administration.

And Chips-Ahoy cookies!

That'll be in about 15 minutes...They need to sell ads.

Not saying this storm is under rated but here is the current observation from Lighthouse Beach Jamaica...

Jamaica | East Jamaica | Lighthouse Beach Weather & Cam

Lighthouse Beach Weather & Cam

Click to set as My Beach.

Current Weather

Updated: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 07:00:29 -0500

75° F

Light Rain

Wind: N @ 114 knots Air Temp: 75° F Water Temp: 84° F

Wind: N @ 114 knots Air Temp: 75° F Water Temp: 84° F

Better throw in a reef

Not sure how Fox will spin it but the White House will blame it on the Bush administration.

And Chips-Ahoy cookies!

true dat....

.and bacon.

And Chips-Ahoy cookies!

true dat....

.and bacon.

Nutteulla to?

:)

Tits?

Nutteulla to?

Mmmm...Nutella...and bacon!

NHC in their most recent advisory has begun to acknowledge that the EURO model showing more interaction with the trough and steering Sandy to the left may be a more accurate solution. Anything can change though and Sandy may very well end up being just a fish storm once it exits the Bahamas.

well, she's now a full fledged Hurricane

no worries. Commander's Weather service predicts Sandy will hit the east coast....and we all know how accurate they are B)

Guest One of Five

So we have a hurricane moving up the coast? C'mon.... its just a little water.

Ist notte to Feak out yette...... holde youre watrere plese......

Guest One of Five

Everyone's boat is out of the water by now anyway. Trees are losing their leaves, tree damage should be down. Its just a lot of water.

It is officially time to FREAK OUT!!

I am really scared. I live in Maryland it looks like I have 50% shot at living through this at best.

Look at the bright side: this may be a great chance to prove that your MacGregor is up to the task.

Now if it were cold enough to snow....

Go fuck yourself. Twice. The mind boggles at how much shovelling would be needed if a hurricane dropped snow instead of rain.

Crap, guess it's time to haul the stinkpot anyway.

:huh:

Really?

It is about 80 degrees here in Maryland and I'll be sailing tonight.

Everyone's boat is out of the water by now anyway. Trees are losing their leaves, tree damage should be down. Its just a lot of water.

That actually did happen. It was 1993 or 1994 IIRC. The Snow-Hurricane storm was freaking HUGE and stretched from about Key West to upstate New York. My long long driveway was knee-deep :o

Go fuck yourself. Twice. The mind boggles at how much shovelling would be needed if a hurricane dropped snow instead of rain.

EDIT - Look - One goes right over my house!

post-9077-0-91419200-1351101636_thumb.gif

:huh:

Really?

It is about 80 degrees here in Maryland and I'll be sailing tonight.

+1 but I might do the fishing thing instead. Awesome day today!!!

OH BTW, I don't see this storm impacting the East Coast other than some high surf and some breeze. I don't think I would go fishing offshore out of Ocean City or leave on that Norfolk to BVI passage this weekend but for the most part boats will be just fine in port.

That actually did happen. It was 1993 or 1994 IIRC. The Snow-Hurricane storm was freaking HUGE and stretched from about Key West to upstate New York. My long long driveway was knee-deep :o

It was never a hurricane, more of a confluence of jet streams that turned into an almost comically powerful and long cold front, though the system did have winds of 100+ mph in it across a wide swath. That was the famous "Blizzard of '93", also called the Storm of the Century. I was stuck in Stratton, VT and almost everyone had left the night before to beat the storm. It was the kind of ski day that lives in my memory forever. 36" of fresh powder and almost alone on the hill.

Really did make the 2.5 hour shovel to get my car out of the condo's driveway worth it. Not so sure about the 11 hour drive back to Long Island...the beautiful spring weather led me to bring a turbo, rear-wheel drive RX-7 with shaved tires up to the mountain, but it wasn't the best choice for the Taconic (which we found out later was closed despite having run 50 miles on it in the most horrendous, drift-through-the-turns conditions possible) or the Thruway, which had only one lane plowed for like 150 miles. Did chuckle that my car made it through the mess while there seemed to be a Grand Cherokee or Subaru stuck in a ditch every half mile or so...

400x266_03121451_blizzard-of-1993-mar--12-14.jpg

400x266_03121508_1993c.jpg

Jammie Booth on news 12 CT has this totally covered. Anyway Oct, has been the best month this year for sailing in east coast in a long time.

Guest One of Five

Oh relax - its going to hit Newport. What's the likelihood its going to do damage in Taranta?

edited to add:

besides, aren't all of you folks born with Snowblowers attached?

If it's going to hit Newport then I might as well point out that the Around Jamestown Island Record will still be very much open for contesting. Win your skippers weight in rum if you set it!!

http://aroundjamestownrecord.com/

i likey...

In semi related Sandy news, Giovanni Soldini, RMB, and the other boys on the VO 70 Masaratti are mid Atlantic trying to get to Charleston. They are having to make a big dive south to avoid the storm

I just got an email from a local generator rep with the subject "Hurricane Sandy 2012". They have a couple weather channel screen grabs as proof that we're all gonna die unless we run out and rent or buy generators. So we got that going for us.

Guest One of Five

I just got an email from a local generator rep with the subject "Hurricane Sandy 2012". They have a couple weather channel screen grabs as proof that we're all gonna die unless we run out and rent or buy generators. So we got that going for us.

isn't it nice to know you've got people watching your back?

It's a HURR'EASTAH!!!!

(Or hurr'easter for those south of New England. Just my candidate for neologism / portmanteau of the week).

From the NHC 5pm discussion:

THE UNCERTAINTY IN THE

LONG-RANGE TRACK FORECAST REMAINS VERY HIGH...AND IT IS TOO EARLY

TO DETERMINE SPECIFIC IMPACTS FOR THE U.S. EAST COAST NORTH OF

FLORIDA.

in other words, we're screwed... :rolleyes:

If it's going to hit Newport then I might as well point out that the Around Jamestown Island Record will still be very much open for contesting. Win your skippers weight in rum if you set it!!

i likey...

To laite thisse yeare, we cannne planne foure nexte summere....... :)

i likey...

Why do you say that? Record attempts can be completed through to sunset on the 31st.

i likey...

Why do you say that? Record attempts can be completed through to sunset on the 31st.

frome thisse poeste, fife downe;

Around Jamestown Record Admin on June 14, 2012 at 9:53 amsaid:

The time frame for the 2012 Record is May 28-September 30.

Another place on the website says:

Competitors can choose a time that gives them the best weather window to break the record (For 2012, Competitors have between May 28 and October 31 to choose their window)

Considering someone set the multihull time on October 9th I'm going to guess that 10/31 is the actual date...

Competitors can choose a time that gives them the best weather window to break the record (For 2012, Competitors have between May 28 and October 31 to choose their window)

Considering someone set the multihull time on October 9th I'm going to guess that 10/31 is the actual date...

You gotta boate?? Lest do it!!!! :)

no worries. Commander's Weather service predicts Sandy will hit the east coast....and we all know how accurate they are B)

Thank god someone said it before me!

You gotta boate?? Lest do it!!!! :)

As if. Mustang__1 has his 29er but I'm just not good enough to do 20 miles on that thing in hurricane force winds. Me driving through a gybe in 15 was an adventure so I'd shudder to think of what it would be like 30+.

Any of you RI anarchistas have a boat in the water still?