• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bljones

thoughts on eau de boat

When words are in quotes like that ("DO NOT EAT"), I always assume they are trying to imply something other than the literal meaning of the quoted phrase. Sort of like sneer-quotes, right?

So what, in this case, what does "DO NOT EAT" really mean?

Perhaps they are saying "The stuff inside this package is illegal in most civilized countries, so we can't recommend that you eat it. But if you do ignore the warning and ingest the contents you should prepare for a really fun six hours, if you know what we mean. Just don't get caught."

Just remember the Russian fellow in one of the solo round the world races who couldn't read the warning. These packets were in with his freeze dried food and he sprinkled it on the food when he heated it. Got very sick and took forever to figure out how he was poisoning himself.

When words are in quotes like that ("DO NOT EAT"), I always assume they are trying to imply something other than the literal meaning of the quoted phrase. Sort of like sneer-quotes, right?

So what, in this case, what does "DO NOT EAT" really mean?

Perhaps they are saying "The stuff inside this package is illegal in most civilized countries, so we can't recommend that you eat it. But if you do ignore the warning and ingest the contents you should prepare for a really fun six hours, if you know what we mean. Just don't get caught."

lol

Jesus, just don't eat it!

If it's plain silica gel, it's non-toxic. "Do Not Eat" is just kind of a generic warning to indicate that it's not food.

If it's shakes out blue, that means it has a cobalt-based saturation indicator, which turns purple or pink if it's got moisture. That kind is definitely not for human consumption.

There are some "DO NOT EAT" inserts that must contain some sort of oxidizer, perhaps similar to the self-heating pads I use when my back is hurting. These "DO NOT EAT" inserts will get warm for a few minutes when you open the package, presumably because they had already taken up all the Oxygen in the sealed package and still had some unused oxidizer left over.

I'll bet *those* things would be very bad to eat. Remember the original "Godzilla" movie and the "Oxygen Destroyer" that the scientist used to kill the creature? I wouldn't want to risk it.

(Sorry for the spoiler, but since we're talking about anti-spoilers I thought it would all cancel out.)

How about DO NOT "EAT" ? Quotation marks are powerful things.

There are some "DO NOT EAT" inserts that must contain some sort of oxidizer, perhaps similar to the self-heating pads I use when my back is hurting. These "DO NOT EAT" inserts will get warm for a few minutes when you open the package, presumably because they had already taken up all the Oxygen in the sealed package and still had some unused oxidizer left over.

I'll bet *those* things would be very bad to eat. Remember the original "Godzilla" movie and the "Oxygen Destroyer" that the scientist used to kill the creature? I wouldn't want to risk it.

(Sorry for the spoiler, but since we're talking about anti-spoilers I thought it would all cancel out.)

How about DO NOT "EAT" ? Quotation marks are powerful things.

The commercial handwarmer types (like those you find in sporting goods stores - or by the gross at Costco which my family females rely upon) typically use iron, carbon, moisture and salt as their active ingredients, with oxygen coming from the air. They basically work by rusting very quickly.

Probably not recommended to eat, but won't kill you.

Those gel things you boil that you snap a washer to activate? Who knows what's in there!

Just remember the Russian fellow in one of the solo round the world races who couldn't read the warning. These packets were in with his freeze dried food and he sprinkled it on the food when he heated it. Got very sick and took forever to figure out how he was poisoning himself.

Please tell me that's a joke. Sorry but I did laugh.

Please tell me that's a joke. Sorry but I did laugh.

Actually, not a joke. Might have been a BOC race, not a Vendee, maybe other than russian and google has not been my friend. My memory plays tricks on me sometimes too.

If silica gel is like other non-digestible, water-sequestering agents, it can cause dehydration and turds like mortar shells.

The only experience I've had, thankfully, with a poison control center was with silica gel. They said, "she'll be fine."

If silica gel is like other non-digestible, water-sequestering agents, it can cause dehydration and turds like mortar shells.

The only experience I've had, thankfully, with a poison control center was with silica gel. They said, "she'll be fine."

Not to offer TMI, but I'm thinking of my poor mother's experience being fed Metamucil without sufficient water in her waning days.